Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it disrespectful to walk on people's graves?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

woodoo wrote: »
    Robbing from someones grave is unbelievably scummy.

Not whilst farting tis not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

woodoo wrote: »
    Robbing from someones grave is unbelievably scummy.

You know what's worse? People vandalising graves. I heard of a family who lost their child and vandals kept smashing it up and stealing the teddies and toys off it. I'm not sure I believe in hell but if there is such a place, I hope those fuckers rot in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Gnobe wrote: »
    the point of humanity is to die and provide nutrients to the soil and the earth to which people walk on anyway.

I would have a very different understanding of the point of humanity. Unless I'm seriously depressed.
    Blatter wrote: »

What if a complete stranger took a shit on one of your grandparent's grave?

Would you be offended?

I guess it depends on context. If you're walking on someone's grave in order to cause offense, then it's offensive. Similarly, if you're caught in a graveyard, and there are no public toilets (there never are in graveyards) then the act isn't offensive. If it's an angry **** to spite the dead person, however ...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

Well it can't be offensive to the dead because they've ceased existing and all, but I would consider it offensive to living relatives or friends of the dead person, seeing as they're the ones who look after the grave and all.

I'd have no qualms walking over graves that are ancient. If you think about it, because life on earth has been going on for so long, no matter where you stand you're probably over the remains of countless dead organisms. It's kind of how nature works.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

The title of the Poll is - Is It Disrespectful To Walk On Someone Else's Grave??
    I hope you can't walk on your own grave!

Personnally I think it is unless it can't be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Nothing wrong with it, especially if it was a corrupt Fianna Fail traitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was in a conversation with a friend who got really annoyed when he heard someone walk over his mothers grave, carelessly.
    Wow, his hearing is really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

I don't think it is, but I avoid it when possible.

I am a funeral director myself, and understand this is the belief among the majority. So I've been brought up not to tread on a grave, while also knowing mourners would expect me to avoid this when possible.

Sometimes it is unavoidable in my trade, but it doesn't take that much effort to 'walk the tight-rope' along the side of graves!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I wouldn't walk on someone's grave. I've never been in a cemetery where it wasn't possible to walk around graves so I see no need for it. I've only been in cemeteries where there are paths so yeah, to see someone walking on a grave in that instance would, to me, be disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Disrespectful to the dead person? No
    To their relatives/friends/etc? Perhaps yes, especially if they're present.

BTW, you're all free to dance, drink, fornicate or whatever on mine, should I be buried:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I'll have to wait a while to get some respect.....i don't get a lot now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

I was told by my elders it is bad.And that the person may haunt you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I wouldn't intentionally walk straight over someones grave. There aren't always sufficient paths and in old graveyards the graves may not be clearly defined anymore, but I would certainly try to keep to the perimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The thing about it is...some older graves aren't very solid (for want of a better word) and sometimes you might find your foot going through the surface of the grave. (I don't mean down to the coffin but I think over time, the soil under the surface can sink). I've a few graves where this had happened and my father accidentally did it to his father's grave so he had to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I'd be very conscious not to do it myself and I'd notice if someone did do it but I don't think I'd look at them as if they were being disrespectful. For me it's just not the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I love how people go all "its about respect" when respect is earned and being dead does not automatically qualify you for that.

Too many use respect as an excuse these days to get their way or to shame others and the meaning is lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Beside the Bronze Bull down in Wolfe Tone Square (alongside Jervis St) there are graves and headstones in the ground all along one side of the park and people walk over them all the time, most of them unbeknownst (to them or the dead).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I love how people go all "its about respect" when respect is earned and being dead does not automatically qualify you for that.

Too many use respect as an excuse these days to get their way or to shame others and the meaning is lost.
    I think the point is that you just don't know.

Yes the person you could be walking all over might have been a wife beating child abuser but then again they may be someone who deserves not to have their grave trampled on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,280 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I would be annoyed if I saw someone walking over my parents graves. It's a persons final resting place and should be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Do you think its disrespectful to walk on someone's grave??

I was in a conversation with a friend who got really annoyed when he heard someone walk over his mothers grave, carelessly. But in reality we are all dead, does it matter? Especially if the grave is over 100 years old?

I personally couldn't care, the point of humanity is to die and provide nutrients to the soil and the earth to which people walk on anyway. Is this wrong and disrespectful to walk on someone's grave??
    where/how did you come up with this,that is the most ,dumbest,ignorant conclusion that ever explains the existance of humans.please go back to your x-box,toys :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

I actually quite like looking at old graves and noting things like family names, date of birth /death and nearby graves of relatives. However, just crunching across the gravel without a thought is a bit callous, especially if they didn't even bother to glance at the headstone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I wouldn't do it exept tending the family grave.

It somehow makes me feel 'closer' to members of Class relatives that have gone before me.

There's a poster on here called Defiler of the coffin.

I hope he posts on this thread...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I find that clip of your man dancing on Haughey's grave a little disturbing.

What about his widow looking at that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

dirtyden wrote: »
    I find that clip of your man dancing on Haughey's grave a little disturbing.

What about his widow looking at that?

Haughey is an exception. Sure his widow is probably still living off the fat of our land anyway, So dance on ....

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Pay me honour while i live .You think dead complain ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yes of course it is. Its something you do when your 6, if you just stroll across graves and your older than 12 :rolleyes:
    I hate this 'oh well we're just bones' like get a grip seriously. Yes we know that, we know your suggesting at your atheism, well done, but still that grave holds significance for someone, so give them that respect.

As others have said already, if you're tending a grave then that's ok. But to take a shortcut over someone's grave, it's a bit sh*tty tbh. They may be just a pile of bones to you, but someone somewhere worshipped those bones when they were on this earth so would it be all that difficult just to not do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

A lot of graveyards are very busy so it's hard to avoid other people's graves. When I went to show my sons their granny's grave. Not my Mother (she's still alive) but hers. I had no choice and they could give a damm. We stamped all over other people's graves.

But I don't think they care and frankly I wouldn't either being dead and all. So it's not an issue. If dead people were aware of anything they'd be glad anyone came near them.

xflyer wrote: »
    A lot of graveyards are very busy so it's hard to avoid other people's graves. When I went to show my sons their granny's grave. Not my Mother (she's still alive) but hers. I had no choice and they could give a damm. We stamped all over other people's graves.

But I don't think they care and frankly I wouldn't either being dead and all. So it's not an issue. If dead people were aware of anything they'd be glad anyone came near them.

If it had been your sons graves (god forbid), would you feel the same about people "stamping" all over them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Millicent wrote: »
    You know what's worse? People vandalising graves. I heard of a family who lost their child and vandals kept smashing it up and stealing the teddies and toys off it. I'm not sure I believe in hell but if there is such a place, I hope those fuckers rot in it.

I really don't understand people who would do that, they must be fooked in the head on some level they have to be! :confused:

At graveyard masses sometimes you can't avoid it due to the place being packed and you might have to step out of the way. But ones who sit or lean against other peoples headstones during the mass is feicin rude. Get your hairy arse off my relative thank you very much!

But the one thing I can't stand is mothers/fathers letting their kids run about and grab stones from strangers graves and throw them about the place......WTF?
    Get the fuck away from my grannys grave you little **** :mad:

Advertisement