Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Insignia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

TheDriver wrote: »
    Cheers lads, seems a beautiful car and good figures there.
    Nice bus.
    Think snobbery makes the vauxhall a bit of a no no to be honest.

If you want to keep the car for a long time and a Vauxhall is a better option go for it. If you want to change badges you can do so cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you want to keep the car for a long time and a Vauxhall is a better option go for it. If you want to change badges you can do so cheaply.

There's more to change than the badges. The grill is different and the brand is integrated into rear crome fittings.

I won't start on build quality of Vauxhall V Opel........

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Is there a difference in built quality between Vauxhall and Opel, I assumed they would be put together in the same factory? Is this not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

There's more to change than the badges. The grill is different and the brand is integrated into rear crome fittings.

I won't start on build quality of Vauxhall V Opel........

They are built on the same line. There won't be a difference in terms of quality.

Also, remove the Vauxhall badge in the grill and the you can see the clips in the shape of the Opel logo. It's easy to swap badges over front and rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't see the point in changing Vauxhall badges for Opel badges, it will still be listed on the VLC as a Vauxhall so changing badges will not change it's value come resale time. BTW I don't think a Vauxhall has the same stigma with the public these days as it had back in the 1980s. They are both built on the same assembly line afaik so I cannot imagine build quality being different on either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I suppose when it comes to stigma, you can say that Opel is German, whereas Vauxhall is not, and we know how being German is seen as a positive. I just think Opel sounds more upmarket. It will definitely be more desirable secondhand anyway. I think all that negative publicity that the Vectra B in the 90s got by the UK press has still stuck with Vauxhall to be honest - it never quite fared so badly over here. I suppose the other side of it as well is that Vauxhall is a dead giveaway that the car is a secondhand import as well.

And yes I know they're the exact same car and this is petty snobbery on my behalf, but you can't exactly say that that mindset isn't out there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

TheDriver wrote: »
    Cheers lads, seems a beautiful car and good figures there.
    Nice bus.
    The vauxhalls don't seem all that cheaper after conversion and vrt coupled with the loss in trade in when time comes around (for non wheel cover models etc)

Works out cheaper if you can find a decent one with low mileage, full service history etc.

You pay a premium here for that.

Nice low mileage one here.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218467776137/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/model/insignia/make/vauxhall/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/m52ty?logcode=p

8300 euro for the car after exchange rate.

2800 euro vrt.

600 euro flight, ferry, diesel etc

11700 euro all in.

This Astra SRI 150bhp is 9000 euro all in.

Nice price for a quick little diesel, rare here too.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201216464580909/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/model/astra/make/vauxhall/keywords/sri/radius/1501/postcode/m52ty/page/1?logcode=p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

but try for an elite or something and price starts to jump up quickly......

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eoinsie74

Just bought a 2011 SE insignia 130ps with 30,000 km for 18K, without doing much research. Originally wanted a 2012 but none of the decent spec 2012's had low mileage.
    Without knowing much about the market or cars in general I'm wondering if I got a decent deal?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Tis a bit steep all right, but you would have paid heavily for the low mileage. 30,000 km seems mad low (just over 6k miles a year). Is there a service history to back it up? Happy motoring anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

They are built on the same line. There won't be a difference in terms of quality.
    Built in Russelheim which is just outside Frankfurt and I did the factory tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Only one I drove was a 09 160 daysul. Had abs problem, badly chaffed pipes in the engine bay and the reverse switch on the gearstick pinched my finger everytime I went from reverse to neutral. Also seemed fairly dead for supposedly 158bhp.

Not a chance would I buy one but thats based on driving just one of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mickeymac33

Hi
    I have a opel insignia 2011 160 bhp
    the car diesel consumption after a service has gone downhill and has gone from 5.5 ltr/100km
    to 6.4 ltr/100km
    service included a call back and they "blew" the particle filter/...
    any ideas ???

Advertisement