Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner questions

• 27-04-2012 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have just started to go to the gym again to try and loss weight. I've cut all of the rubbish from my diet more or less too.

I have a couple of questions though,

As I mentioned, I have gone back to the gym recently, I am doing a mix of cardio and weights. I find that my muscles are kind of sore for the rest of the day. I am not over doing it, well at least I think I'm not as I can still do the exact same routine the following day and still push myself. This leads me to my first question, I have been reading about protein shakes and supplements. As I am trying to loss weight, and not lifting big weights is there a need for protein/ would it be pointless? It's just that I read that it helps muscle recovery/healing so I'm thinking would this help to sort my problems out?

Side note: YEars ago I went to the gym 4/5 times a week and enjoyed it. I have always enjoyed lifting weights, cardio just bores me and programns overly consisting of cardio v. weights causes me to loss all motivation to going to the gym. Unless it is an absolute must please dont advise that I stop trying to push myself on the weights. As I said I am still very much capable of lifting and pushing myself the following day when I attend 2 days in a row.

Second question is that I read nuts are a healthy and good food item to eat. Fortunately I actually quite like nuts, but I am wondering what type should be avoided / what type should be eaten? At present, I am only eating an apple/orange/banana as a snack, so I would like to change this up a bit.

Thanks for any feedback in advance,
    Brewie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Brewie wrote: »
    I have just started to go to the gym again to try and loss weight. I've cut all of the rubbish from my diet more or less too.

Good work, sounds like a great start.
    As I mentioned, I have gone back to the gym recently, I am doing a mix of cardio and weights. I find that my muscles are kind of sore for the rest of the day. I am not over doing it, well at least I think I'm not as I can still do the exact same routine the following day and still push myself.

If you've recently just started back some soreness/stiffness is completely normal. As a side note though, try to give yourself some rest between workouts, especially as they are 1) The same workout and 2) You say you're pushing hard. To get the benefit from your weight training your rest/recovery is arguably as important.
    This leads me to my first question, I have been reading about protein shakes and supplements. As I am trying to loss weight, and not lifting big weights is there a need for protein/ would it be pointless? It's just that I read that it helps muscle recovery/healing so I'm thinking would this help to sort my problems out?

That depends on how much protein you're currently getting from your diet, if it's adequate the answer is no. Most 'average' people ought to be able to get enough protein from their daily diet.
    Unless it is an absolute must please dont advise that I stop trying to push myself on the weights. As I said I am still very much capable of lifting and pushing myself the following day when I attend 2 days in a row.

I don't think you'll find anyone arguing against some form of resistance training here, as I mentioned above it might just be a case of smarter programming. Feel free to post your workout and I'm sure you'll get some feedback with that regard.
    Second question is that I read nuts are a healthy and good food item to eat. Fortunately I actually quite like nuts, but I am wondering what type should be avoided / what type should be eaten? At present, I am only eating an apple/orange/banana as a snack, so I would like to change this up a bit.

As with the protein question, it simply depends on whether nuts 'fit in' with your diet plans in terms of daily calories. There are many diets, some high fat/low carb and some high carb/low fat etc. In short noone can really answer that question for you without more information. Nuts being a predominantly fat are quite calorie dense, meaning they pack quite a few calories in a small enough serving, just something to bear in mind.

Have a read over the nutrition stickies and come back with any specific questions that weren't answered there, some useful information there, and best of luck.

Advertisement