Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's have a thread about Africa

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The softly spoken South African accent is hawt :cool:

Worked with quite a few of them in Irish hotels during my student day, just love the accent

Sexy deeplomitic immuneetee...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I spent almost a month in Accra in Ghana, it was the same, really safe. Walking down dark streets at night with groups of people hanging around, thinking it's probably not a good idea, but they're all just really friendly and chatty.
    Even an irish bar there
    http://74.54.19.227/GHP/img/world66/550.27.jpg

One in Uganda too!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_18XY6JLC7Hk/TNvcLnvxdhI/AAAAAAAAACg/ptHYEyJzn5I/s1600/P7300095-1.JPG

Actually owned by two Irish lads, so it is quite authentic.
    I spent 7 weeks in Kenya, teaching in an orphanage in the Kiberan slums. Was tough going because you get the feeling that life will never change for them, but you still try.

Yes, you still try because it makes you feel good. Right? Looks nice on the aul C.V. too.

I feckin' hate voluntourism. I met an Irish girl over there who was teaching the aul' Gaeilge to the local village kids as part of her €3000 voluntourism package. Made me sick! I probably did more for locals by propping up the local economy with booze money. There's not much benefit to be had from an 18 year old lass who teaches Irish and juggling. The thing that's been bugging me for the last year though... she should have thought Irish dancing too. That was the missing link in the fight towards eradication of poverty. If only I thought of it...

There was a group of voluntourists I met in Kenya that literally weren't allowed walk outside the hostel gate after 6pm to buy a packet of fags because of the security T&C of their voluntourism company. The local shop was practically attached to the front gate. How thick is that?

If anyone here is thinking of volunteering, think again. Of course it would look fantastic on the C.V., and would make you feel great having your photo taken in the middle of 30 little African children (then straight to facebook profile photo). I would advise you to actually save up a good bit of money, and just do plain and simple back packing. They want business! Not to play football with a white man or to have their child fed porridge by a sunburnt Mayo cnut!

By all means, if you're a qualified teacher, maybe get an actual job there. But if you're a wannabe volunteer who has dreams of teaching African kids but has no experience... don't fcuking bother.

I'M SAVING AFRICA YEAH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I know a few lads that did that in Accra. Got sponsored for 5k to spend 2 weeks painting and wiring a school. I thought the 5k would have been way better spend on local tradesmen to do it. And It cost me under 1k for flights and a room for almost a month!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I know a few lads that did that in Accra. Got sponsored for 5k to spend 2 weeks painting and wiring a school. I thought the 5k would have been way better spend on local tradesmen to do it. And It cost me under 1k for flights and a room for almost a month!

Of course! The money would have been much better spent on local tradesmen, but did the school really need a paint job in the first place? It's feel-good bull****.

That being said, It's great that we can see where some of that 5k goes. Of course 100 euros of that is spent on paint. The rest... well I'm regularly chugged on my way to Tesco, and they're paid pretty well. How about the prime time slots where we are bombarded with footage of disease-ridden children? They must cost a bit. Fat paychecks surely take a chunk of that. The remaining 20cent, I'm not sure.

By the way, the first time I went ice skating was in Kenya.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tomasdoyle

Spent 5 months in Khartoum, it was easier than you would think. people were amazing, I've never seen such an entrepreneurial bunch. A guy setting up a bike repair shop in the corner of two walls by draping some plastic over it. Mobile hair dressers, pop up coffee and tea stands. So much poverty, so much religious beat downs and government gits, people on the street still great. Eye opener I'd recommend to anyone.... Yes alcohol is illegal... but there's a great Korean restaurant on Africa road ;-) dunno about the food!

I want to see more.. Maybe a trip to Lagos is on the cards next. I have my doubts about that place though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

wilkie2006 wrote: »

:pac::pac: Brilliant. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Adam and Eve were believed to have lived in Africa so we are all from Africa.

actually the garden of eden is believed to be in iraq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

skoomi wrote: »
    One in Uganda too!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_18XY6JLC7Hk/TNvcLnvxdhI/AAAAAAAAACg/ptHYEyJzn5I/s1600/P7300095-1.JPG

Actually owned by two Irish lads, so it is quite authentic.

Yes, you still try because it makes you feel good. Right? Looks nice on the aul C.V. too.

I feckin' hate voluntourism. I met an Irish girl over there who was teaching the aul' Gaeilge to the local village kids as part of her €3000 voluntourism package. Made me sick! I probably did more for locals by propping up the local economy with booze money. There's not much benefit to be had from an 18 year old lass who teaches Irish and juggling. The thing that's been bugging me for the last year though... she should have thought Irish dancing too. That was the missing link in the fight towards eradication of poverty. If only I thought of it...

There was a group of voluntourists I met in Kenya that literally weren't allowed walk outside the hostel gate after 6pm to buy a packet of fags because of the security T&C of their voluntourism company. The local shop was practically attached to the front gate. How thick is that?

If anyone here is thinking of volunteering, think again. Of course it would look fantastic on the C.V., and would make you feel great having your photo taken in the middle of 30 little African children (then straight to facebook profile photo). I would advise you to actually save up a good bit of money, and just do plain and simple back packing. They want business! Not to play football with a white man or to have their child fed porridge by a sunburnt Mayo cnut!

By all means, if you're a qualified teacher, maybe get an actual job there. But if you're a wannabe volunteer who has dreams of teaching African kids but has no experience... don't fcuking bother.

I'M SAVING AFRICA YEAH!

+ a million.

Advertisement