Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I am doing a major project for college www.churchofcrockford.com and it does not work well on IE9. My website/app is written in HTML5 and CSS3 and IE9 has problems displaying the canvas properly as well as my menu's. Chrome, Firefox and Safari can display it properly. It even works on my iPhone which surprised me.

Stay clear of IE9 if you are into web development as it is not compatible with HTMl5 and CSS3. Microsoft says it is fully HTMl5 and CSS3 compatible but don't believe what they tell you.

You're just a terrible designer who doesn't know how to write HTML or CSS. Not anyone elses fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I am doing a major project for college www.churchofcrockford.com and it does not work well on IE9. My website/app is written in HTML5 and CSS3 and IE9 has problems displaying the canvas properly as well as my menu's. Chrome, Firefox and Safari can display it properly. It even works on my iPhone which surprised me.

Stay clear of IE9 if you are into web development as it is not compatible with HTMl5 and CSS3. Microsoft says it is fully HTMl5 and CSS3 compatible but don't believe what they tell you.
    So instead of looking at your coding to find what is causing the problem, you just decided that it is IE's fault?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wompa1 wrote: »
    But a lot of companies also standardize on one browser. They don't allow Safari, Chrome or Firefox in their environment. So in those cases IE is used for browsing the internet. If I open IE first in the morning, I will most likely use it for browsing without noticing for the first while...

Also some software vendors have web applications which do integrate with IE, some being internal and some being external. External would be browsing. There's a few web conferencing softwares that just don't seem to play well with Firefox and Chrome
    A lot of software is written using Microsoft tools and unsuprisingly it's easier to integrate with IE.

Big companies have big ass firewalls and other security features like locking down users profiles to limit the damage that something in control of that user can do
    Also IT policies that means you'd have to be as dumb as a brick to go near some of the dodgier areas of the web if you valued your job.

Saying big companies use IE is not a reason to recommend it to home users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I'm still waiting for some clever chap to make a Chrome/Firefox hybrid, both have their advantages but from my experience IE is far behind in security and user friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 CongressTart

biko wrote: »
    IE is still the most used browser according to stats provided by posters in this thread.
    Where do you get your info from?

I never said it wasn't the most used. I meant catch up in terms of usability.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

I see an ad there for a relaunch of Internet Explorer. Do you think it will be able to catch up with Chrome and Firefox, or is it doomed forever?

Catch up with? It is still the biggest browser?!?

Still the most popular browser unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never said it wasn't the most used. I meant catch up in terms of usability.
    Now you're just making stuff up... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Internet explorer 10 is just as good as the current builds of chrome and firefox in terms of speed. I wouldn't use it as my primary browser because of no adblock :o and I am not that keen on the internet explorer UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CongressTart

biko wrote: »
    Now you're just making stuff up... :D

Explain how? It's a pretty valid question seeing as a lot of people have trouble with the browser, myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

DitzyPoo92 wrote: »
    The only reason why Internet Explorer is the most popular is because it's the internet browser that comes with all Microsoft PCs/laptops and most people are either too lazy to download a better browser or are totally clueless about computers.

everything you have said is true - so ie IS the MOST used browser

by default or not - it the most used , question is for how long ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I don't understand this thread, aren't you just getting on the internet by double clicking on the big E thingy and it brings you to the internet. Why does the internet have so many names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

IE is gash.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I still use it, and the reason for that is that I just don't have the courage to ditch it and get a move on to something better. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's a WEB BROWSER!
    As long as it's standards-compliant and renders reasonably well and quickly, it's not going to make the web more or less beautiful !

IE's flaws were always major security holes and lack of compliance with standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

IE 9 is a good web browser, it has a clean interface and is fast. Personally I switch between Opera and IE 9, with most of my browsing done in Opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Anyone use Opera?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Very slick advert for ie9 on tv at half time during the football today,don't care how slick the ad is,I still won't use it.Getting desperate when a company has to use tv ads for a bloody web browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Anyone use Opera?

2nd choice to Chrome. Tis good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anyone use Opera?

Yep, find it the best. Never really liked Chrome and Firefox seems to be falling behind.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Still the most popular browser unfortunatly.
    Can you please qualify that statement.

Is it perhaps the most popular browser amongst those who haven't given any other browser an extended test drive ?

It's a bit like saying Eircom is the most popular ISP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Can you please qualify that statement.

Is it perhaps the most popular browser amongst those who haven't given any other browser an extended test drive ?

It's a bit like saying Eircom is the most popular ISP

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57424595-92/ie-continues-to-rebound-in-browser-market/?tag=txt;title

I just happend to be reading this aswell as going through the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

If you use IE6, you should pack up your computer and return it, telling them that you are too f*cking stupid to own a computer.

No tabs, no PNG support!!!

I think IE9 is actually worse than IE7/8. It seems to add padding and other crap into sites and throws them off even if they are fine in every other browser.

IE is only good for debugging Javascript.

Firefox is rubbish compared to what it used to be.

Chrome is where it's at! HTML5 + CSS3 support, its lightweight and auto updates.

I think IE6 is so popular in Asia because there is a lot of dodgy copies of XP out there and they obviously can't update the browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

we still use ie in work because some of the booking systems we use dont work with firefox or chrome... we long for the day that the booking system devs finally pull the finger out and develop their systems to work with firefox or chrome.

When Ad block addon for Firefox came out it was a game changer.

I am still a avid FF user. I like my FF addons and its customized the way i likes.

I hate the chrome setting menus and google's fondness to hoard peoples data like the time they got nabbed for collecting wifi data makes me not trust em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

we still use ie in work because some of the booking systems we use dont work with firefox or chrome... we long for the day that the booking system devs finally pull the finger out and develop their systems to work with firefox or chrome.
    Must be a really old system or a really lazy dev team!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

FF all the way at home, poxy work still use IE6, absolute sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

smash wrote: »
    Must be a really old system or a really lazy dev team!

the system is Amadeus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

IE8 was rubbish, why would I use a browser made by the same idiots?
    Looks like they fired the QA department in favor of the now infamous 'beta' approach ie: stick the word beta on the end, release it and if no one screams loudly enough, shur isn't that the QA sorted for free.

Advertisement