Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best English Rapper Ever!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    I know it sounds ignorant but I can't stand the vast majority of British HH because of the accent. Don't care if the future Nas is on the mic. Also hate the way a lot of them primarily use dubstep for their beats to reach wider audiences. Not into the whole grime scene either.

This is what a lot of people think about Irish Hip-Hop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Seaneh wrote: »
    Doesn't really count, was raided in New York, he wasn't part of the UK Hiphop scene, ever.

If that's the case then Roots Manuva is the only option IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

This is what a lot of people think about Irish Hip-Hop too.

Very true, especially those hailing from places with thick accents eg Dublin, Cork.

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Very true, especially those hailing from places with thick accents eg Dublin, Cork.

Another major problem with the irish HH scene is the fact that a lot of them think that if they just replicate the type of content they hear in American HH but replace places and American references with Irish ones that they're proper artists!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jays this IHH stuff is quickly becoming the L'Pool/United trend of the hip hop forum. It seems to be cropping up in almost all of the threads these days :P. It's not quite as bad as that yet though ha.

I've never gotten around to Roots Manuva. Any recommendations for first album?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

In my opinion the english rap scene, which can be described in so many ways but basically its rap, is just as or better then the rap scene in america.

Now obviously the american scene is massive, "Joe Cole's new album is unbelievable" but they have a wider audience with millions in the budget.

When Kano came out with "Hone sweet Home" i was gobsmacked or when The Streets came out with"Original Pirate Material i was hooked.

So i listen to the best of the two tbh. Now with regards the Irish Rap Scene, i hope and think rob kelly will make a few hit singles. Other then that i don't know but what they can do, in ireland we don't have the audience to make it work for them. In england theres more people in greater manchester then there is in the whole island of Ireland, different story.

Also black twang is in the poll so get voting... :D

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Now obviously the american scene is massive, "Joe Cole's new album is unbelievable" but they have a wider audience with millions in the budget.

Joe Cole?? Ah so that's what he's been doing since he left Liverpool. I thought he'd gone to France to play some ball there :pac:.

Joe Cole?? Ah so that's what he's been doing since he left Liverpool. I thought he'd gone to France to play some ball there :pac:.

ha ha ha Jcole...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

What a disgraceful list,some of the names on it aren't even hip hop artists in my eyes - i put it to you sir you haven't the fogiest notion about UK hip hop.

No rodney P or Bionic aka the london posse???
    No Blade
    No Monie love
    No MF doom
    No young MC

Lol at slick rick being the greatest english rapper ever,slick rick is legend i have many of his vinyls but you need to go out and purchase gangster chronicle by London posse,one of the greatest Hip hop(not just uk hip hop) albums of all time

Claiming people who happened to be born in the UK, does not make them UK Hip-Hop like Slick Rick or MF Doom.

• Advertisement

Claiming people who happened to be born in the UK, does not make them UK Hip-Hop like Slick Rick or MF Doom.

Exactly,i stuck MF doom in to be smart,as i got the impression the poster who claimed slick rick was the greatest British rapper ever was trying to be smart too.I don't even like MF doom i have none of his vinyls :D

It doesn't take away from the fact that list is full of muck!

tossy wrote: »
    Exactly,i stuck MF doom in to be smart,as i got the impression the poster who claimed slick rick was the greatest British rapper ever was trying to be smart too.I don't even like MF doom i have none of his vinyls :D

Probably is, the op will probably add your rappers to the list.

Ha yea good lad. I wasn't trying to be smart. The title of the thread is "Best English Rapper Ever!!!". I simply asked whether the op was looking for the best ever or the best of the last 10 years, and then I offered Slick as an answer.

I know Slick wasn't raised in England so that doesn't really qualify him but he's still English.

As for them other lads you mentioned I've never heard of them. I'll give them a listen later.

What a disgraceful list,some of the names on it aren't even hip hop artists in my eyes - i put it to you sir you haven't the fogiest notion about UK hip hop.

No rodney P or Bionic aka the london posse???
    No Blade
    No Monie love
    No MF doom
    No young MC

Lol at slick rick being the greatest english rapper ever,slick rick is legend i have many of his vinyls but you need to go out and purchase gangster chronicle by London posse,one of the greatest Hip hop(not just uk hip hop) albums of all time

I was waiting for someone to slate the list..... Look i'm only 25 so it be wrong of me to go naming rappers i wasn't brought up with... I said in the first post the last 10 to 15 years...

Tbh with you the rappers you named had there time and i bet sold sweet f*ck all... Now i don't take away from the fact that they might have been big in there time but nowadays i believe the british rappers can actually be world wide stars and some of them are... So the list in my eyes, are rappers who have been signed to big labels and are at least hitting top tens with some of the single's/albums....

At the end of the day the best rappers will sell the most, thats obvious.

Also i think of the old school, Black twang was the best, hits like "so rotten" hit the heights that i feel give him the right to be on the list!!!! :)

Ha yea good lad. I wasn't trying to be smart. The title of the thread is "Best English Rapper Ever!!!". I simply asked whether the op was looking for the best ever or the best of the last 10 years, and then I offered Slick as an answer.

I know Slick wasn't raised in England so that doesn't really qualify him but he's still English.

As for them other lads you mentioned I've never heard of them. I'll give them a listen later.

I did know slick rick was english, i'll be straight... But like jcole is german... Did you know that?? :D

No they won't. Look at someone like Rakim. One of the greatest and he has sold almost nothing. The same with someone like Big Boi when he's going solo. His album was amazing. Apart from the first week though it hasn't made a dent in the charts at all.

The most commercially accessible rappers will sell the most. The Drake's, the Wayne's of this world will all sell huge numbers. They are almost guaranteed to clear a million, possibly even in their first week as Wayne nearly did with his latest album.

That doesn't make them great. Neither of their albums would hold a candle to Big Boi's yet he's stuck on sales of around 200k when Wayne cleared that in a day. It's sad to see but such is life.

Chart sales mean absolutely nothing these days. Especially when guys like Chamillionaire, Curren$y and Big K.R.I.T. are putting out mixtapes/EPs that are infinitely better than any of the rap albums in the charts.
    I did know slick rick was english, i'll be straight... But like jcole is german... Did you know that?? :D

Yes I did know that actually. I remember looking it up when I started listening to him 2 years ago or so. His dad was in the army though so it doesn't really count. His dad was stationed out there I think and he only lived there for 8 months, compared to Slick's 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

To be honest, for the most part, I actually think it's the other way around - the worst rappers will sell the most, and the best sell little.

Rakim and Krs-One have sold very little and would be in a lot of peoples top10 or 5 even.

I was waiting for someone to slate the list..... Look i'm only 25 so it be wrong of me to go naming rappers i wasn't brought up with... I said in the first post the last 10 to 15 years...

Thats fair enough,but your thread title is best English rapper ever!
    Tbh with you the rappers you named had there time and i bet sold sweet f*ck all...

Most of them did sell SFA does that make them bad rappers? If you are judging your rappers by sales alone then you are on the wrong track! George best never won a world cup does that make him a bad footballer? No.It's how you carry out your trade and how you use your talent that counts not how much money you earned from it.

comonson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Monie love is excellent, i agree she should be on the list.

• Advertisement

I agree with ye lads, but like its a poll about english rappers not american... Rakim didn't sell loads because he was in the wrong decade... Big boi hasn't sold enough records because a blind man could see that he has not enough marketing behind him...

I had only 25 names maximum to put into the poll, also i had to have some females in there... I wanted to keep it fairly recent and go on album sales and numbers....

I completely do not agree that the best rappers are the worst, thats just bulls8it .... One observation that i have on life in general and i am sometimes victim to this, that some people always wanna go for the underdog.... Sometimes we want the fella with no financial backing to make it and thats fine... But i stand by my statement that best Rappers always have big record sales...
    :D:):mad:

But i stand by my statement that best Rappers always have big record sales...
    :D:):mad:

You can stand by it, but it's not true.

Homer-Facepalm-small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

so lil wayne is the best rapper because he has high sales? nicki minaj is the best rapper because she has high sales?

Horse Shít!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    so lil wayne is the best rapper because he has high sales? nicki minaj is the best rapper because she has high sales?

Horse Shít!

Yeah, Nicki Minaj is the highest selling female rapper of all time. Does that make her better than Lauryn Hill or Rah Digga or even Eve? Please.

marketing

Who cares about marketing? this is hip hop not X factor!
    Yeah, Nicki Minaj is the highest selling female rapper of all time. Does that make her better than Lauryn Hill or Rah Digga or even Eve? Please.

Or Roxanne shante,bahamadia or Paula Perry.Nicki minaj my hole lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Scroobius Pip :)

Lads i could be completely wrong.... I don't know!!!!????

I just want to see who is voted for the most

Another thing which i can see is that "Mike skinner" is getting the most votes, and if anybody remembers this when The Streets first came out everybody was saying , this is not rap, his garage, dub step.... But again he winning this vote....

The Streets went on to sell near 5 million records....

Now this a taught, I know rap music to us is a passion not a faze, we love it... But you got to look away from personal interests, and who individually we think is the best... We can argue forever who the best rapper we will all pick different people, the only democratic way of doing it is put to a vote... So i suggest somebody sets up another vote with different rappers and see what happens...

I don't like half these rappers but the most successful, and i only had 25 places. Please give me a break.

I do think allot of Nicki Ming is complete horse-s8it, but you can't take away from the fact she has half the world listening to her....

Lauryn Hill Amazing... And i think eve had no lasting appeal to be honest...

If messi had one good game would he be the best player ever... No!!!

Another person for example is Joe Budden, his song Walk this way is my favorite rap song of all time, but where he now... I hope slaughterhouse makes it.... He not in any real best of list.....

• Advertisement

I do think allot of Nicki Ming is complete horse-s8it, but you can't take away from the fact she has half the world listening to her....

Lauryn Hill Amazing... And i think eve had no lasting appeal to be honest...

If messi had one good game would he be the best player ever... No!!!

Another person for example is Joe Budden, his song Walk this way is my favorite rap song of all time, but where he now... I hope slaughterhouse makes it.... He not in any real best of list.....

I know half the world is listening to her. My point is, she's still sh*te, and in the face of someone like Lauryn Hill, she hasn't a leg to stand on. You're saying that high record sales are indicative of who the best rappers are. I'm using Minaj as an example to disprove your point, and you've practically agreed with me. Her sales don't make her the best because there are still other female rappers who are better but don't sell as much.

Advertisement