Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Election 2012 (Superthread)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I don't follow USA politics much this year anyway...

Who are the Vice Prez's picks going to be?
    Why is there no selection process on the Democratic side?
    Which one of the two canidates or party is best for Eire's interest?

Recent article from CNN show the main candidates;

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2012/04/politics/interactive.vp.candidates/index.html

Interestingly CNN had the 'unknown' Palin on their possible VP list for McCain in 2008

By the way it wont be Jeb Bush who is keeping his powder dry for a top job run in 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

As talks of Romney's VP pick start, I was considering the future of GOP politics. I see a bunch of younger Republican rising stars... Marco Rubio, Eric Cantor , Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Mitch Daniels, Kristi Noem, Rob Portman, John Thune, Scott Brown and Scott Walker, and others. Rather impressive bunch.

But where are the Democrat’s young rising stars... Debbie Wasserman-Schultz??? The DNC really is in trouble looking to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Amerika wrote: »
    As talks of Romney's VP pick start, I was considering the future of GOP politics. I see a bunch of younger Republican rising stars... Marco Rubio, Eric Cantor , Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Mitch Daniels, Kristi Noem, Rob Portman, John Thune, Scott Brown and Scott Walker, and others. Rather impressive bunch.

But where are the Democrat’s young rising stars... Debbie Wasserman-Schultz??? The DNC really is in trouble looking to the future.

No it isn't. The Democrats have a variety of people (young and old) who are rising and competent. Many of them will be eyeing up 2016.

Andrew Cuomo: Current Governor of New York and former Clinton Cabinet member. With Approval ratings between 71 and 77 percent he is on one of the most popular governors in the country. He has a national profile and good name recognition.

Brian Schweitzer: Governor of Montana and the Democratic's own Mitt Romney. Extremely popular in what is Republican leaning state. He is a Centrist who refuses to raise taxes, firmly supports Gun Rights, appointed a republican his deputy and is very pro-military. But he also is a keen supporter of energy reforms based around renewable energy and supported Obama's stimulus. He is my kind of Democrat but might not roll with the base.

Martin O' Malley: Governor of Maryland who has implemented an brash and unashamed progressive agenda. He has battled tough political scenarios and occasionally low approval ratings to buck the national trend and be re-elected in 2010 by 14 points.

Others include: Kirsten Gillibrand, Julián Castro, Gary Locke, Rahm Emmanuel, Gavin Newsom, Carte Goodwin, Ben Jealous, Jon Tester, Dave Bing, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris and many many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I have to say this election has really tightened and is a pure tossup. I hope it stays that way, so it will be fun to watch in November.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ahhh the red blinkers again. You fail to see any other rising stars in the Dems, surprise surprise.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Well, red blinker syndrome must be an epidemic then. I often ask my Democratic friends to name me some up-and-coming Dem stars. Almost every single one of them can’t name a single one... except for the customary "Hillary Clinton" LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Well, red blinker syndrome must be an epidemic then. I often ask my Democratic friends to name me some up-and-coming Dem stars. Almost every single one of them can’t name a single one... except for the customary "Hillary Clinton" LOL.

Then they aren't paying any attention to their own party. I am not even a Democrat but I was able to list a large variety of rising Dems. Don't get me wrong the GOP has a lot of talent as well. But don't be so biased as to believe that the ability to have up and coming stars is strictly confined to your party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Rep Dennis Kucinich on his election loss & what's next

cristoir wrote: »
    No it isn't. The Democrats have a variety of people (young and old) who are rising and competent. Many of them will be eyeing up 2016.

Andrew Cuomo: Current Governor of New York and former Clinton Cabinet member. With Approval ratings between 71 and 77 percent he is on one of the most popular governors in the country. He has a national profile and good name recognition.

Brian Schweitzer: Governor of Montana and the Democratic's own Mitt Romney. Extremely popular in what is Republican leaning state. He is a Centrist who refuses to raise taxes, firmly supports Gun Rights, appointed a republican his deputy and is very pro-military. But he also is a keen supporter of energy reforms based around renewable energy and supported Obama's stimulus. He is my kind of Democrat but might not roll with the base.

Martin O' Malley: Governor of Maryland who has implemented an brash and unashamed progressive agenda. He has battled tough political scenarios and occasionally low approval ratings to buck the national trend and be re-elected in 2010 by 14 points.

Others include: Kirsten Gillibrand, Julián Castro, Gary Locke, Rahm Emmanuel, Gavin Newsom, Carte Goodwin, Ben Jealous, Jon Tester, Dave Bing, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris and many many more.

Dont think Rahm will ever be running on any national ticket!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

kenco wrote: »
    Dont think Rahm will ever be running on any national ticket!!!

The rumor has long been that Emanuel has higher political ambitions. Few political observers in Chicago think he will emulate the Daleys as mayor-for-life. I wouldn't be surprised if after two terms as mayor he ran for governor or senator in order to get back to Washington, and from there...who knows.

• Advertisement

The rumor has long been that Emanuel has higher political ambitions. Few political observers in Chicago think he will emulate the Daleys as mayor-for-life. I wouldn't be surprised if after two terms as mayor he ran for governor or senator in order to get back to Washington, and from there...who knows.

I can see him as a senator potentially and possibly a cabinet member but unless he has calmed down and addressed him 'temperament' issues I think that would be height of his potential

Also too linked to Obama which post 2016 could be a bad thing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So I've been bombarded with Romney campaign chatter about his ability to create jobs while Governer of MA. He created 45,000 jobs and knocked 2% off the unemployment rate. Kudos Mitt, great job indeed.

Now he's using this as a stick to beat Obama with, unemployment is coming down but slowly and looks like stalling.

Does anyone else see a contradiction here? If bringing down the unemployment rate is the Presidents job, how can Mitt take credit for doing this while in office in MA? Surely the credit must go the George W. Bush for bringing it down between 2002-2006 if Mitts anti Obama logic holds out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Logic has no place in any presidential campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I saw that the Democrats had Julian Castro, the Hispanic Mayor of San Antonio, on stage at their convention. The media made a big point in mentioning it,

This is from the Care2 site. “This is the last time anyone will try to do this,” a Republican strategist told journalist Ron Brownstein last week, “this” being a near total reliance on white votes to win a presidential election.

According to Brownstein, Romney probably needs to win at least 61 percent of the white vote in order to just squeak out a majority. But future generations of Republican politicians will have to appeal to nonwhite voters who hold far more liberal views about the role of government than does the party’s current base. It’s now or never for the GOP’s white base.

The demographics of the United States are changing rapidly, and one of the best places to see this dramatic demographic shift in action is to visit public schools in Texas, where the Hispanic population is swelling rapidly.

In 2011, for the first time, Hispanics became the majority of public school students in Texas.

By 2050, the number of Texas public school students is expected to swell to nine million from roughly five million now, and nearly two-thirds will be Hispanic, according to Steve Murdock, a demographer and director of Rice University’s Hobby Center for the Study of Texas. The overall percentage of white students will drop by half to about 15 percent.

The Future Of The United States Is Tied To The “Minority”Population

From The New York Times:

“When you look at children, there is no doubt. The future of Texas — the future of the United States — is tied to the minority population,” said Dr. Murdock, a former state demographer and director of the United States Census Bureau. “It’s just mathematically true.”

The above is part of the below address item, referring to future voting trends and youth in education. Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/the-future-of-the-u-s-belongs-to-nonwhites-are-educators-ready.html#ixzz25iJ4X26g

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So I've been bombarded with Romney campaign chatter about his ability to create jobs while Governer of MA. He created 45,000 jobs and knocked 2% off the unemployment rate. Kudos Mitt, great job indeed.

Now he's using this as a stick to beat Obama with, unemployment is coming down but slowly and looks like stalling.

Does anyone else see a contradiction here? If bringing down the unemployment rate is the Presidents job, how can Mitt take credit for doing this while in office in MA? Surely the credit must go the George W. Bush for bringing it down between 2002-2006 if Mitts anti Obama logic holds out.
    Clinton rightly points out, that under Dem control there has been far more job creation in the last 50 years than GOP job creation, and the Dems had less of that come from population growth than the GOP (which is funny especially when you think about Immigration stances) and - since I can smell it coming - I should also point out this doesn't include or account for government jobs: these were private sector jobs. Lest there be sneering about the Obama Census temp-workers or some other familiar tripe.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/sep/06/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-says-democratic-presidents-top-republ/

Advertisement