Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions please - Corolla 1.4 D4D 2008

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrsG09

Ah that's great news. Thanks for the reply. I got 1800 for my write off do this car is way more affordable than a newish Toyota.

Do you think 3.5k is a good price on it? I hope he'll put it through nct for me. He hasn't even driven it himself yet, he is going to give me a buzz today after he's gone for a spin in it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

MrsG09 wrote: »
    I hope he'll put it through nct for me.

Tell him you absolutely will not take it without NCT. It's much easier to do this upfront than have it fail and have to go back asking him to sort it.

zeb thanks i just spoke to him there and he is putting it through the nct for me

there are two things though

1. the car has no isofix for my baby seat - its funny as my own 406 which is 2 years older did have the iso fix

2. the car has 60K miles on it, i asked him about the timing belt and he said its not due til 120K miles, am i mental or is that due every 60K miles?

thanks a million

S

2. the car has 60K miles on it, i asked him about the timing belt and he said its not due til 120K miles

It depends on the motor. My Ford has a Peugeot 2.0 diesel, and the belt is not due until 200K km, which is 120 K miles, so he may be right.

I bet he's wrong about the Isofix, though, I'd say the car does have it.

omg the saga continues

i rang where my own 406 came from he said that the timing belt needs to be done between 60-70K miles

i rang the dealer in cork back and he said that he will do it but is charging me 250 on the full price of the car so his best price to me is 4200 for a 2004 peugout 406 with a new nct & timing belt
    is this a good deal?

am i stupid not to spend another few K and get a newer car? any advise would be great im finding this a complete mine field to be honest, i just want a safe (for the baby) reliable car that wont cost me a fortune to run

thanks a million

• Advertisement

am i stupid not to spend another few K and get a newer car?

Do you have another few K? Because you could keep going all the way to 40K and a brand new car!

You need to decide on a budget.

hiya, i do, i got we'll say 2K for the write off and i could put another 4 or 5 with it, but id reallyneed to get a car for a good 5 years or so out of that.

i just dont know if the 406 is worth 4200 (i only got 1800 for mine as a write off and it had a fully stamped main dealer service history and only just passed the nct, however this one is 2 years younger and has a good 50K less miles)

i would buy it today only for the fact it has no iso fix this has really thrown me :(

i would buy it today only for the fact it has no iso fix this has really thrown me :(

How do you know? I bet it does have isofix, why wouldn't it?

Hiya, he's said it definitely doesn't he said he's surprised himself it doesn't. I'll be honest I got an awful fright when I crashed (thank god the baby wasn't with me) I'd die if he was hurt because u bought a car without the isofix

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3102543
    you mentioned you would love a rav4.. this one looks alright, only downside is quite expensive road tax..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're gonna tax a 2.3 there are infinitely better options out there

Found this advertised this morning

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=5413324504110720

Would appreciate any feedback or opinions please on the car and the dealer

Thanks s million

• Registered Users Posts: 51,117 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bog standard model too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I had a 1997 2l NA diesel Corolla in the workshop this evening -serviced it, did away with the egr, tightened up all the linkages, fitted an oil catcher can to re-route the breather, tracked it and took it for a spin to see how it was running. It's an ex-garda yoke with 200k on the clock. Absolute bullet, steady as a rock and not one single rattle from anywhere. Says a lot for the auld corollas.:) There's a late 90s Peugeot 406 with 165k up, 2.1 tdi sitting in there at the mo as well and it has more issues than Sinead O'connor. Not sure what my point is, but I like Toyotas morer!

Absolute bullet, really now...

The reason for their longevity is simple mechanicals, unfortunately a D-4D Corolla is an altogether different machine, emissions, safety, economy etc mean that like all modern diesels, they're a pandoras box of potential issues.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Absolute bullet, really now...

The reason for their longevity is simple mechanicals, unfortunately a D-4D Corolla is an altogether different machine, emissions, safety, economy etc mean that like all modern diesels, they're a pandoras box of potential issues.
    Colm, I don't know if the Gards got a better engine(doubt it)but the car is a bullet. I test drove it down the same route I've run Celicas, an Elise or two, some nice Audis and many a Merc, and indeed, despite your scepticism, the Corolla 2.0 diesel, minus its emisions restrictions and fully sorted, is a bullet.:) In much the same way I had a Jap Carina 11 2 ltr in that was stripped and sorted and it would leave heavier new cars standing.

I think it's the illusion of speed or the diesel fumes that fooled you :)

They always feel light and nippy, but they are quite slow.
    (14.0 to 60 and 72hp on tap for the nerds)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think it's the illusion of speed or the diesel fumes that fooled you :)

They always feel light and nippy, but they are quite slow.
    (14.0 to 60 and 72hp on tap for the nerds)
    Not a hope!:) This aint mine and is going for a re-spray, lowering and fancy wheels next week- more like 7-8 to 60 and 100/120 on tap after certain pump/airflow adjustments. At 1200kg all up, it's brisk. Owner is going to spend a lot on it as a sleeper and anyway, it's going in the morning. Good friend owns it so if there's a motors meet I'll get a lend when its done and you can try it yourself. I bottled it at err 100(I'd say it's beyond its brakes and suspension at this stage but that can be sorted too. I'd actually like it myself

A lot of petrol 170hp 1200kg cars cant do those sort of figures :D

Just to clarify, this is a 2.0D Corolla? (my turbod version of this engine put out 89hp)

Not sure if you're joking or you actually believe this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Pottler wrote: »
    Not a hope!:) This aint mine and is going for a re-spray, lowering and fancy wheels next week- more like 7-8 to 60 and 100/120 on tap after certain pump/airflow adjustments. At 1200kg all up, it's brisk. Owner is going to spend a lot on it as a sleeper and anyway, it's going in the morning. Good friend owns it so if there's a motors meet I'll get a lend when its done and you can try it yourself. I bottled it at err 100(I'd say it's beyond its brakes and suspension at this stage but that can be sorted too. I'd actually like it myself

7-8 seconds to 60 kph sounds about right for a non turbo diesel Corolla alright:)!

Take it for a spin. Bullet. Absolute. I posted that more out of surprise than to big up the car, as it stands, its a 97 pile of sh1te that I want €€ for servicing/fettling:D I couldn't change gear fast enough.:) Anyhoo, like I said, it's not mine and I've no attachment and I drive an awful lot of cars in a week. Just surprised me is all.:) Then again, I got a 96 Suzuki Swift in once to weld an exhaust onto, a 1.3 with a lot done, and that fecker could do front wheel donuts all day long and spun its wheels in 3rd. Stats say no but the car could go.:)

Advertisement