Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt spending €10 million on PS/CS car parking facilities

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I don't see this as being too unreasonable to be honest, lots of private companies supply parking or give parking allowances to employees. There's plenty of more serious things to get outraged about in government spending.

Difference is everyone in the country doesn't pay for their parking spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I never said I worked in the public sector.

Multinationals do receive huge tax breaks and grants for setting up here, so technically yes they do get money from the exchequer. I totally agree with giving them the tax breaks and grants by the way.

Ye = not personally you but you plural the public sector

Difference is everyone in the country doesn't pay for their parking spaces.

This comparison people use is stupid. You cant go around saying that the whole country is paying for this and for that, public service workers are as entiteled to be provided with benefits from their employer (the government) as any private sector worker.

All public sector workers lose a large amount in tax also from their wages so they are paying for it too, more than the equivalent private sector worker in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I hope Mr. Hayes' review includes the TDs, senators who get free parking for life in Leinster House. Political staff and journalists also get parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This comparison people use is stupid. You cant go around saying that the whole country is paying for this and for that, public service workers are as entiteled to be provided with benefits from their employer (the government) as any private sector worker.

All public sector workers lose a large amount in tax also from their wages so they are paying for it too, more than the equivalent private sector worker in a lot of cases.

It's not a stupid comparison, well it probably is if you are a public sector worker who wants to continue milking the system. Public Sector worker already get plenty of other benefits, namely a job for life no matter how inept they are. you don't get that in the Private sector and it's one of the reason why pay and other benefits are/should be above Public sector. Public sector workers should pay for it their own parking, not expect a handout from everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Discontent towards people getting perks should be directed towards those who earn hundreds of thousands of unnessecary euro per year. Not at those ordinary decent working folk who get a car parking space paid for them.

Now the management of this hair-brained little scheme is something different entirely - €2,500 per space per year is ridiculously expensive even if you were privately renting a single space - I know a premises in Dublin City, just off Parnell Street, that's renting spaces in a secure, enclosed, shuttered carpark for €120 a month + VAT. Value for money is certainly not being achieved and with so much vacant state-owned property lying around the city, one would think it could be put to good use and that workers in the Civil Service quarter, if you like, could park on the Anglo Site for example and perhaps walk the 1km or so to work - or failing that, catch a cheap Luas for the few stops.

People get their priorities mixed up in times like this, and it's part of the reason recessions go on so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I don't see this as being too unreasonable to be honest, lots of private companies supply parking or give parking allowances to employees.
    Yes, but in general (in the city especially) a private company provides a set number of parking spaces. If the car park is full, it's tough. Very few companies spend over €2k per employee renting a parking space for them.

Within urban areas, many companies provide no parking or parking costs at all.

Any sensible private company in the main urban areas (i.e. where public transport exists) started charging their employees for parking spaces years ago. The public sector seem to have gone the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Look at all Departments that have free parking available and assign those spaces to Civil Servants on the basis of lack of public transport and distance travelled to work.

That just sounds like adding another layer of senseless bureaucracy to the PbS. 'The department for allocating parking spaces to PbS employees'. A working group would have to be set up and then a team of people recruited with pay and pensions to consider and PbS unions to deal with..

... fuck that.

PbS sector taxes are not revenue generating for the state - PvS taxes are.

So? What difference does that make to the worker, either way its a reduction from their wages at the end of the month, do you think its any easier when they look at their pay slip and see the huge deductions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You said.
    All public sector workers lose a large amount in tax also from their wages so they are paying for it too
    I replied.

Your response to my reply.
    So? What difference does that make to the worker,

I'll bring you back to what you said again.
    All public sector workers lose a large amount in tax also from their wages so they are paying for it too

The bit in red is incorrect. Revenue generated from the PvS pays for the PbS. Saying the PbS is paying for its own car parking spaces is a bit like thinking that taking a bucket of water from the shallow end of the pool and pouring it into the deep end is adding to the overall volume.

In this case the 'water' comes from the PvS.

• Advertisement

You said.

I replied.

Your response to my reply.

I'll bring you back to what you said again.

The bit in red is incorrect. Revenue generated from the PvS pays for the PbS. Saying the PbS is paying for its own car parking spaces is a bit like thinking that taking a bucket of water from the shallow end of the pool and pouring it into the deep end is adding to the overall volume.

As far as a public sector worker is concerned they are losing money from their wage packet in tax, this is the very same pain a private sector worker feels so yes as far as the bottom line of their take home pay is they are paying for it.

Money that's being deducted from their wages are going towards running the country, its not difficult to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

However certain people are blinded by the begrudgery bandwagon when it comes to the public sector.

Can you blame them?

Pay cut after pay cut, tax hike after tax hike, redundancies left right and centre, all this happening whilst the CPA remains intact, and a lot of PS (I didn't say all) workers getting their pay increases.

Major overhaul of the whole system is required, sooner rather than later IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

micropig wrote: »
    What about decentralisation..I'm sure there would have been ample car parking space in towns other that Dublin, but ye didn't want that.

If de-centralisation had happened as planned there would not be a problem. There would be less congestion and parking problems in Dublin etc.

If public servants want car parking spaces in cities let them pay for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

* http://bigginsblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/taoiseachs-office-costs-17-million-in-a-year/

I'll take that 10 million and raise you seven. :D

Short version: The top mans office: 17 Million but that includes €80 a month on tea - so all's well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Except next year the water will be coming from the PbS.
    It will be metered and you will be charged by the litre to take it from the shallow end and put it in the deep end

except it you are unemployed,renting or a council tenant then you will have to pay nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I don't begrudge anyone free parking. How anyone can be so petty is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ghandee wrote: »
    Austerity measures seem to be taking place across the country, (depending on whom you work for)

When will the rest of us start to get fuel allowances, and paid for parking spaces? Some folk seem to be paid a salary, but other day to day expenses, (fuel, parking spaces etc etc) get paid out on top of that.

The gravy train is still steaming ahead, hopefully not for much longer.

Madness.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0423/govt-spends-10m-on-car-park-spaces.html

These carparks are under lease. I believe these leases will not be renewed when they expire. It would be too expensive to buy out the lease to terminate them at the moment I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Biggins wrote: »
    * http://bigginsblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/taoiseachs-office-costs-17-million-in-a-year/

I'll take that 10 million and raise you seven. :D

Short version: The top mans office: 17 Million but that includes €80 a month on tea - so all's well. :D

I think it's Barry's tea as well not even Lyons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I agree with the OP and perhaps we should let some of the Valets go, but not all of them.

Perhaps they would still park the cars but they would only have to clean them once a week.

You see compromise we are all in this together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I don't begrudge anyone free parking. How anyone can be so petty is beyond me.

How is ten million a year free :confused:

Ten million to the tax payer, ie you and me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

How is ten million a year free :confused:

Ten million to the tax payer, ie you and me.

by and large these car parks are already built. A lot of these car parks are in schools, hospitals and garda stations. Frontline positions in other words.

I used to have free parking in Dublin CC. Made no sense to use it though. Traffic was that bad.

What do you suggest? Should they rent spaces to their staff? Would it not just make sense for the government to levy pensions over a certain amount instead?

Heading for a €180bn ps pension bill. Thats a few thousand years worth of parking.

Can you blame them?

Pay cut after pay cut, tax hike after tax hike, redundancies left right and centre, all this happening whilst the CPA remains intact, and a lot of PS (I didn't say all) workers getting their pay increases.

Major overhaul of the whole system is required, sooner rather than later IMO.

Yes I can blame them because they don't have a clue. Any tax hike hits public sector workers exactly the same and public sector workers are paying out loads of money in levys. Both my parents are public sector workers and the amount deducted from their salary every month would shock you and the deductions have increased considerably in the last while. So stop talking crap about public sector workers not being effected just like everyone else.

I know private sector workers getting large pay increases this year so don't tell me its all pain in the private sector because very large numbers of private sector workers have been no more effected by the recession than public sector workers. On the other hand plenty of public sector workers are being effected due to increased levys etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Proper order, i'm not paying my own parking

Advertisement