Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Transplant

Options
  • 24-04-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice here. Im considering going for a hair transplant. Have been thinkning about it for a couple years now and finally made an appointment with Dr. Maurice Collins in the Blackrock Hair Restoration Clinic in Dublin.

I am 27 and relatively thick hair at the back however would classify myself as very thin on top towards the front and would have receeded.

I am just wondering has anyone had this procedure done and were they happy with the results? Ive done a lot of research and will not travel to the states etc. I am aware of the cost of the procedure. I spose I am just looking for advice form those who have experienced this procedure and whether they were happy with or would they advice stay clear. Would I need more sugery in a few years or are the results lasting? Is the scar very visible or does it fade over time. Overall, would you advocate this procedure?

Thanks all. Greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Don't! In a couple of years your hair will recede further leaving you with a rpw of 'carrot top' hair plugs. These will be permenant :(. Just keep the rest of your hair short.

Bald men can be attractive as long as they don't have a hang up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Woodie321

Don't! In a couple of years your hair will recede further leaving you with a rpw of 'carrot top' hair plugs. These will be permenant :(. Just keep the rest of your hair short.

Bald men can be attractive as long as they don't have a hang up about it.

lol. Thanks but its not so much about that. Have a fiancee so its not about pulling women. Its just something I want to do for me. So just looking for advice from those who have had the procedure ;-).

Thanks for your reply tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Hi,

I'm 28 and went to Blackrock a few years back as I suffer from male pattern baldness. Just to put things straight because I know a lot about this, when I went to meet Dr O'Connor at the clinic he prescribed me Propecia, which is a once daily quarter tablet. Since then not a single hair has fallen out of my head and this means I can get a hair transplant in the future and keep all of my hair intact.

I have been waiting to get a hair transplant now for a long time and to tell you the truth I’m not sure what way to go about it because Blackrock Clinic really doesn’t provide the information a young guy like myself needs to go about approaching a hair transplant.
    One thing you need to know about Blackrock is that they never tell you how much it will cost until you have the chequebook in your hand and none of their customers seem to be allowed to speak openly about costs on their website. Seemingly Louis Walshs hair transplant cost €30,000. I was lead to believe they cost about €7,000 back in 2009 so go figure. They tell you that it differs from person to person but there’s more to it than that I think.

Blackrock Hair Restoration Clinic are constantly saying it’s not about the money, if you need to ask how much it costs then you shouldn’t be having it done but let’s face it, they are the only genuine hair restoration clinic in the country and if they want to get people like me into their surgery chair then they need to be more clear about costs during their consultations because all I got was a few boxes of Propecia and I was sent on my way.

I think it would do no harm for them to at least give people an idea before you fork out €200 for a few pictures of your head. I have to go back now in a few weeks to get more Propecia and that is going to require another €200 just to pick up a few boxes and get no further information on how to approach going for the transplant. If I knew how much it might cost then I would go to my credit union and try getting things moving. I don’t know, maybe it’s just a rich man’s game and they are only interested in dealing with people who have money in their pockets. However as a friend once pointed out to me, you wouldn’t walk into a car sales room without knowing how much the car was going to cost first.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭merlinengine

Hi all,

Has anyone gone for it? If so how did you get on?
    My situation is that I'm 30 and actually ok on the top, my hairline has just receeded and thinning at the front and the corners and I'm self conscious of it so I suppose I do have a hang up about it like shopaholic says! lol

I know you're not feeling going abroad but it might be worth checking out the Vinci hair clinic. They're based in London (proceedure done in Malaga)and not to pimp them or anything but they're doing a thing where they're doing FUE treatment (no large scar on the back of your head) for 5000 euros if you do it by the end of next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭merlinengine

And one of their doctors comes to do consultation in Dublin every 2 weeks and is free too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Did you get a consultation or any update ?

Has anyone tried or know about the ailesbury clinic ?

Their consultation is 30 euro as opposed to the 300 of blackrock, they also use some new method. Are they legitimate and trustworthy ?

I've seen both websites etc, but you never believe anything till you hear from someone with experience. Their "testimonials" are laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

n.d.os wrote: »
    I'm 28 and went to Blackrock a few years back as I suffer from male pattern baldness. Just to put things straight because I know a lot about this, when I went to meet Dr O'Connor at the clinic he prescribed me Propecia, which is a once daily quarter tablet. Since then not a single hair has fallen out of my head and this means I can get a hair transplant in the future and keep all of my hair intact.

Hmm, Ive being using Propecia 1.25mg daily for almost the past 3 months at this stage. For the first 3 to 4 weeks of taking the medication in partiular I shed a serious amount of hair where it was alreay quite thin. I have researched the topic quite extensively on thebaldtruth.com and other websites. Seemingly, if the medication is to work properly one would expect to shed a considerable amount of hair in the areas in which its thinning in the early days of taking it...to give a very unscientific explanation the weak miniaturised hair follicle is shed as a fuller and stronger hair follicle takes root underneath.

The initial shed can be quite alarming and is the reason many men are known to abort using the medication. The last number of months have being tough for me as I shed a considerable amount of hair. Fair to say that the rate of shedding has only subsided considerably within the past few weeks, so I'm taking that as a good sign...hopefully will see some new hair in the next number of weeks or months at least.

To be fair I have had no problems with my labido. Don't want to seem too vulgar but in fact its probably fair to say my erections now seem stronger if any and definately I seem to be able to maintain them for longer. It would seem too as if I'm producing more semen but it does seem more watery or something. I have read that although Proscar/ Finasteride supresses DHT levels it can marginally increase tesosterone levels so I'm putting them affects down to that

The one thing that is a bit of a b!tch seems to be cutting up the proscar tablets into 4 equal pieces. They are so small and often don't seem to break cleanly or equally.

Thats just my story of taking Proscar. I'm sure the next guy might have quite a different story to tell as side affects and usefulness of the medication varies from one individual to the next

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nonafroman

I went to a number of these hair clinics the first one I went to was the Universal Hair Clinic off Dame St. I went in looking for a solution to stop my hair falling out .I met with the Consultant there and she told me after 5 treatments it would stop falling out then it was 10, 15 then 20! I think I went to 18/19 treatments which cost around 1000. During these treatments my hair fell out more with all the products they used. I would not recommend these at all.

I went to the DHI clinic in the Beacon Clinic 1 year ago and got 2000 hairs implanted for cost of 4,500. I don’t want to under emphasis this but it was one of the most unpleasant things that I have ever gone through. I was there for approx. 5 hrs. and when I signed up for this they failed to tell me of all the blood there would be and also the pain that I would endure. The let me out that evening without any sort of pain killer/ anti-inflammatory or antihistamine as the itch and irritation that I felt in the following weeks was unbearable.

I feel these Companies are all the same after the treatment in the DHI clinic all they were interested in was selling me two €25 euro bottles of shampoo. Glorified baby shampoo I was in such a state I just bought them. The results they say 90% of the hairs should have survived I followed all the instructions to the letter and I would say if I have 10% of them left that’s be generous.
    I went to AHS Advanced Hair studio in Dublin 2 weeks ago and like the other 2 places promised the 100% results and of course they were mad for me to pay a deposit it went from 50% which would have been around €2500 to €200 in the space of 5 mins.
    All these Companies are preying on vulnerable people like us.

All the same MO really friendly staff really understanding but at the back of it slick sales people that just want you to sign up and give them money. I would have no problem paying the money if it worked but I know from experience the DHI and Universal Clinic you might as well flush money down the drain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 StellaBoost

I hope my experience will help anybody in making the big decision.

My age:32
    State of Balding: all the hair on the front receded back, loosing bit of hair on crown also. (Type III vertex.)

I went to visit the Blackrock clinic for a consultation. cost 250€.
    I was given a years prescription of Precepia. 1/4 tablet a day,
    and Rogain to be applied once a day.
    The price of a hair transplant if I were to go ahead would cost 20,000€. For that I would receive 2000 grafts. One graft can contain between 1-4 hairs.
    I went on the meds and researched further.
    Reading blogs from sites like http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com
    I found what seemed to be a good doctor in Poland, Dr. Saifi. He was charging a total of 3800€ for 2500 grafts. Way better value!
    So I had a consultation with him over Skype and decided to go ahead with it.
    Almost 2 months later I was in Poland, Ryanair flight and not so cheap hotel and I was in his surgery. I could see how he could charge so little. Pretty small surgery out of town, but spotlessly clean, with 4 girls to help him(they doubled up as sectaries and cleaners). It was a professional outfit and I felt reassured. After an hours discussion about the procedure, the operation began. I paid him cash then and there, and actually paid an extra 500€ and asked him to up the graft count to 3000. This would be considered a "mega session".
    Firstly, he cut out the doner hair from the back of my head(local anesthetic). This is called strip surgery. Once this "strip" was removed, it was handed to the girls ,who immediately started dicing it up into individual grafts. They all worked behind these big microscopes, using scalpels and placing the individual grafts into bowls of solution.
    Then he closed the wound.Inner fine stitches and outer stitches. (6 months later this scar was almost invisible to the extent that my barber couldn't find it).
    Using a sapphire tipped tool, he punched 3000 holes into the shaved part of my forehead. I wanted a "dense pack" in this area for the completely natural look.
    Then from about 12 noon to 7pm, I had 2 people on either side of me popping the grafts into the front of my head.
    Finally, he gave me a cap to wear, some meds to be taken over the next week, and I was off back to the hotel.
    I returned to Ireland 3 days later, and back to work the following day(with my cap).
    Every day I used to check out my hair to see if it was growing, but it took about 2.5-3 months before it started to grow and then it really took off.
    Right now, as of the writing of this post,(3.5 month mark) the hair line has being completely restored and I'm no longer loosing hair due the the Procepia.
    Even now I have a great result but I know that over the next year, the hair will continue to thicken up more.
    I have lost 5 years in appearance, and I'm very happy about it all.
    I took a risk with Dr.Saifi, and doing this crazy procedure, but he was a pro. In fact the nurse back here in Ireland who removed Dr.saifi's stitches in the back of my head said never in her life had she seen such a fine stitching job.
    I went for strip surgery, but I'd advise paying a little more for FUE. The strip surgery was a little barbaric and I'm told recovery is more prolonged than FUE.
    Points to note:
    1) You need good doner hair.
    They're working on cloning now but it could be years before its available as a procedure. In the meantime, you'll need lots of doner hair. I was lucky in this respect. However, my brother is not as his hair is far too thin and simply too little of it.
    2) Ireland is a rip off-especially for meds, doctors, and lawyers.
    3) Don't listen to guys saying "just shave your head". If your a good candidate, DO THIS PROCEDURE. Life is better with lots of hair.

I hope this helps

p

I wrote something above about Blackrock but after years of worrying about getting a hair transplant with no money I decided to stick to well researched hair products. Heres how I sorted my balding problem on a budget.

Firstly go to blackrock and get yourself on Propecia. It stopped my hair balding any further and most people wont loose any more hair once they go on it. The erection thing may be a problem for some but try it out first because the chances of that are slim.

Secondly check out a product called Mane hair thickening spray. There are so many of these types of sprays on the market including toppik and crappy American brands but this brand is British and the spray applies to your hair and scalp naturally without leaving your head looking like it has been attacked by spray paint or wood shavings.

Spraying a bit of this in daily coated by some hairspray is perfect to disguise balding around the crown. I have balding all over the top of my head so its harder to disguise at the front but with a bit of practice I get a great result that makes me look like I have a decent head of hair. In the direct light it can be somewhat noticable if applied badly, but honnestly guys its a great solution if you really arent all that into shelling out 20,000 on a hair transpant. Since I met my current girlfriend I wore hats on a daily basis, but now I leave it off a few times a week and feel a lot better about myself. I'm big into my personal image so wont go out without the Mane spray in my hair but nobody notices to tell you the truth once you are well groomed.

I was actually thinking about writing a book eventually on hair loss, as in the effect it has on you as a person. I have researched the topic to bits for years and let me tell you guys that lazers or fancy shampoos dont work, nor does rogaine very much. Its either Propecia to hault it or a hair transplant to fix it and as much as these useless little clinics popping up around the country offer hair transplants for cheap, please don't go near any of them bar Blackrock because they are the only proper clinic offering this service by trained surgeons. The other places are nothing more than teeth whitening shops with a hair transplant room in the back.

I am thirty now. I started noticing considerable hairloss at 24. I was always a guy who did well with the ladies but they were forever asking me to take off my hat which I would only do in a dark room. I had one of two girls who didnt like what they seen, that much was obvious, I even acted weird sometimes when it came to taking my hat off around them. Today I am with a girl who has her own personal issues. Everybody does. If you don't like something about yourself such as your balding head tackle it straight on. It took me until I was 29 to take off the hat a few times a week and I also changed my image a little bit. I went from a cool dude with tattoos, a beanie and skinny jeans to a well dressed guy in designer suits, handmade shoes and designer eyeglasses. I put the Mane product in my hair every 4 days with a top coat of hairspray and at night sleep on a harder cushion to prevent my hair moving about. yes its a pain in the ass but once your settled into a daily routine and a healthy relationship nobody cares. If people notice it in my hair in direct sunlight screw them, I havent had that problem to date. With the product in my hair looks fine, its receeded at the front and a bit understyled but my great clothes make up for it. I even use mens tanning products to get some colour into my face. Guys whatever you are into is completely personal but if its womens thats worrying you or self image just look at Jude Law. He has a terrible head of hair but he makes up for it with great clothes, that look his age, understated tanning products, and a great swagger. Its all in your own head. Nobody elses.

How to apply Mane

1. Wash hair and cut to medium, short length.
    2. Dry and brush up (spikey)
    apply mane srpay to top of hair holding can away from head. Be sparse at front for natural look around hair line
    3. Clena forhead using babywipes and style hair forward.
    4. Let try for 5-10 mins
    5. Apply maximum stick hair spray all over head. LEt dry
    6. Continue to add hairspray libberally until hair is hair.
    7. Wipe hardened hair lightly to remove excess
    8. There you have it a nice semi wet look head of full hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DGMS

n.d.os wrote: »
    I wrote something above about Blackrock but after years of worrying about getting a hair transplant with no money I decided to stick to well researched hair products. Heres how I sorted my balding problem on a budget.

Firstly go to blackrock and get yourself on Propecia. It stopped my hair balding any further and most people wont loose any more hair once they go on it. The erection thing may be a problem for some but try it out first because the chances of that are slim.

Secondly check out a product called Mane hair thickening spray. There are so many of these types of sprays on the market including toppik and crappy American brands but this brand is British and the spray applies to your hair and scalp naturally without leaving your head looking like it has been attacked by spray paint or wood shavings.

Spraying a bit of this in daily coated by some hairspray is perfect to disguise balding around the crown. I have balding all over the top of my head so its harder to disguise at the front but with a bit of practice I get a great result that makes me look like I have a decent head of hair. In the direct light it can be somewhat noticable if applied badly, but honnestly guys its a great solution if you really arent all that into shelling out 20,000 on a hair transpant. Since I met my current girlfriend I wore hats on a daily basis, but now I leave it off a few times a week and feel a lot better about myself. I'm big into my personal image so wont go out without the Mane spray in my hair but nobody notices to tell you the truth once you are well groomed.

I was actually thinking about writing a book eventually on hair loss, as in the effect it has on you as a person. I have researched the topic to bits for years and let me tell you guys that lazers or fancy shampoos dont work, nor does rogaine very much. Its either Propecia to hault it or a hair transplant to fix it and as much as these useless little clinics popping up around the country offer hair transplants for cheap, please don't go near any of them bar Blackrock because they are the only proper clinic offering this service by trained surgeons. The other places are nothing more than teeth whitening shops with a hair transplant room in the back.

I am thirty now. I started noticing considerable hairloss at 24. I was always a guy who did well with the ladies but they were forever asking me to take off my hat which I would only do in a dark room. I had one of two girls who didnt like what they seen, that much was obvious, I even acted weird sometimes when it came to taking my hat off around them. Today I am with a girl who has her own personal issues. Everybody does. If you don't like something about yourself such as your balding head tackle it straight on. It took me until I was 29 to take off the hat a few times a week and I also changed my image a little bit. I went from a cool dude with tattoos, a beanie and skinny jeans to a well dressed guy in designer suits, handmade shoes and designer eyeglasses. I put the Mane product in my hair every 4 days with a top coat of hairspray and at night sleep on a harder cushion to prevent my hair moving about. yes its a pain in the ass but once your settled into a daily routine and a healthy relationship nobody cares. If people notice it in my hair in direct sunlight screw them, I havent had that problem to date. With the product in my hair looks fine, its receeded at the front and a bit understyled but my great clothes make up for it. I even use mens tanning products to get some colour into my face. Guys whatever you are into is completely personal but if its womens thats worrying you or self image just look at Jude Law. He has a terrible head of hair but he makes up for it with great clothes, that look his age, understated tanning products, and a great swagger. Its all in your own head. Nobody elses.

How to apply Mane

1. Wash hair and cut to medium, short length.
    2. Dry and brush up (spikey)
    apply mane srpay to top of hair holding can away from head. Be sparse at front for natural look around hair line
    3. Clena forhead using babywipes and style hair forward.
    4. Let try for 5-10 mins
    5. Apply maximum stick hair spray all over head. LEt dry
    6. Continue to add hairspray libberally until hair is hair.
    7. Wipe hardened hair lightly to remove excess
    8. There you have it a nice semi wet look head of full hair.

Can you use other hair products such as gels and waxes when you use mane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alan007

im 32 and have been attending HRBR(blackrock) with Joe Oconnor for 4 years as i was worried with the possibilty of losing my hair as my father and my brother are pretty bald, i paid €250 for my first vist where i was told i had nothing to worry about at the time. i went back a year later and paid €80 where i was given the option of going on the meds they have worked very well and i have had no side affects as reported by others, i go back every year pay my €80 get a check up on my progress. as at the moment i am not in need of a transplant i know if i want to keep all my hair i will need one at some stage in my life, i have been too many transplant clinics both here and in the uk since i have started this journey and all but Blackrock said i needed a transplant and prices ranging from 5000 to 20000 if i was to give anyone advice on the subject it would be this.

1:its a surgery treat it no different then having your apendyx out.

2:check the person has quilyfications this industry has very little regulation

3:cheap surgreys do excatly what it says on the tin "CHEAP SURGREY"

4:clinics with sales men/women are not to be trusted! they go by different names tricoligest is one i could never figure out!!

5:i now constally get bombarded with mails and phone calls from most of the clinics about booking in for a consultation remember you are not buying a car its surgrey!!

i continue to take the meds and am having great results but if and when i want a hair transplant it will be straight down to HRBR(blackrock)
    im not taking any risks with my head!!

DGMS wrote: »
    Can you use other hair products such as gels and waxes when you use mane?

Hi,

Sorry I missed this post. You can if you still have a decent bit of hair on top. I used wax at first but I wasn't using Propecia back then and lost a bit more hair before I realized how to stop it after meeting the doctors in Blackrock. I still have okay coverage so I just apply mane to my hair and some hairspray.

I have actually perfected applying Mane even more since I last posted. The trick is to leave a tiny bit of length in your hair and then apply the mane spray around your hair line (not too thick). For a long time I was using it to bring my hairline forward and I find lately that the further back you go the better it looks. You can brush and style your hair forward and this in turn improves your hairline. Another trick is to blow-dry your hair after you have applied it do get rid of excess. then get some baby wipes and clean around your forehead right up to your hair line. Everyone will have different techniques but that is how I do it and I get a really natural look. Like I said before Mane is the only good product out there. A lot of guys swear by those topic shavings you shake into your hair, but they only really work for guys with balding around the crown and Mane has just as good results.

Any more questions just ask me. Like I said if you are loosing your hair it will annoy the hell out o you for years but some good grooming goes a long way and as much as you think you might be looking old, wearing a hat isn't the answer. I stopped getting compliments when I started wearing hats 24/7. Women would like me for about a month before they got sick of the hat. Now I get compliments all the time, even though I know I do look older.

Hi Woodie321,

I also went the the Blackrock clinic a year or so ago. Very professional setup Maurice has there but way too expensive for me. I was been charged 25000€ for 2500 grafts. I went to Poland instead where I got 2800grafts for 4000€. My brother got the surgery done with the same surgeon 3 weeks ago and paid something similar. Ireland is a complete ripoff with regards to medical things.

Frank.

I have loads of images of my surgery too if anyone wants to see them. just pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jason1000r

Please just hear me out before you say " just shave and accept". I'm turning 24 and I'm loosing a small amount of my hairline in the front and little or nothing in the crown. I'm finding it hard to deal with and it's hurting my confidence. I'm constantly paranoid about it and I want to act now! I've bin using rogaine for the past few months and it has speed up the shedding which is clearly stated. I'm thinking of moving on to propecia or finnasteride as I hear it seems to work well. Any info on this would help from anyone using it. I'm just fed up with reviews and yes men who don't seem to be genuine at all but reading this thread tells me other men are in the same boat. Thanks

Can I get some more information about this please?

Hi Jason,

I got a hair transplant last year. I live in Rathgar Dublin. If you want to meet for coffee sometime, Ill show you what I got done.
    I know exactly how you feel as I felt the same.
    I was also on Propecia, but I decided to stop due to side effects. I was in the unlucky 3% apparently..

Frank

pm frank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clark2014

Jason1000r wrote: »
    Please just hear me out before you say " just shave and accept". I'm turning 24 and I'm loosing a small amount of my hairline in the front and little or nothing in the crown. I'm finding it hard to deal with and it's hurting my confidence. I'm constantly paranoid about it and I want to act now! I've bin using rogaine for the past few months and it has speed up the shedding which is clearly stated. I'm thinking of moving on to propecia or finnasteride as I hear it seems to work well. Any info on this would help from anyone using it. I'm just fed up with reviews and yes men who don't seem to be genuine at all but reading this thread tells me other men are in the same boat. Thanks

Do not take propecia it could destroy your life.

Read here what an Irish Doctor has to say about it http://doctorrynne.blogspot.ie/2011/02/male-pattern-baldness-and-propecia.html

Or read this guys story http://www.propeciasideeffects.co.uk/propecia-killed-me---my-suicide-story.html

The drug leaves some men with permanent mental physical and sexual side effects.

I think its very irresponsible for hair loss clinics to be promoting this drug without mentioning the possible permanent sides which do not goway after stopping the drug.

These is currently ongoing research looking into these side effects I guarantee you that propecia will not be on the market in 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭trg

Hi Woodie321,

I also went the the Blackrock clinic a year or so ago. Very professional setup Maurice has there but way too expensive for me. I was been charged 25000€ for 2500 grafts. I went to Poland instead where I got 2800grafts for 4000€. My brother got the surgery done with the same surgeon 3 weeks ago and paid something similar. Ireland is a complete ripoff with regards to medical things.

Frank.

I have loads of images of my surgery too if anyone wants to see them. just pm me.

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ReDdevil87

Nice info lads. Was wondering, I know propecia(finasteride) is a DHT blocker and there is some bad press on it but has anyone tried natural DHT blockers in there time, something like saw palmetto. Starting to go a little thin on top myself not transplant worthy yet though and I was thinking of taking something like saw palmetto as a DHT blocker. Some people say they get adverse effects from DHT blockers since they stop your testosterone from binding to the 5-AR which means there is more of it free and susceptible to aromatase, but this can be counteracted with a good anti-aromatase. Has anyone tried any treatment that halted shedding in their time?

Hi ReDdevil,

I tried finasteride for 1 year. I noticed mild side efffects like watery semem, but that was about it. Then, about 9 months into using this drug I noticed reduced sexual drive. I decided to stop after a year. 3-4 weeks after stopping I noticed a strong return of my sexual drive and then back to normal, thankfully. For the last 6 months, everything is fine.
    I guess it just didn't work for me.
    My brother is now on this medication. He has noticed absolutely no side effects at all. He has been on it 3 months only though, so we will see...
    My advise would be to try it. If you get no side effects, you are one of the lucky ones I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ReDdevil87

Hi ReDdevil,

I tried finasteride for 1 year. I noticed mild side efffects like watery semem, but that was about it. Then, about 9 months into using this drug I noticed reduced sexual drive. I decided to stop after a year. 3-4 weeks after stopping I noticed a strong return of my sexual drive and then back to normal, thankfully. For the last 6 months, everything is fine.
    My brother is now on this medication. He has noticed absolutely no side effects at all. He has been on it 3 months only though, so we will see...
    My advise would be to try it. If you get no side effects, you are one of the lucky ones I guess.

Did you notice any regrowth of new hair while on it or did it just halt further hairloss, not that that is a bad thing. I went the docs today and told him I was thinking of taking it, he didn't know much about it to be honest but he's sending me for a blood check see if there can be an improvement made somewhere else first. I was on anti depressants for year not to long ago and I read that these cause hair loss, some say that if you go off them after the 6mth mark your hair to start to grow back. The 6mth mark will be up in a week so i'll see what happens.

Another suicide caused by propecia Dr Daniel-M-Stewart

Google his name along with propecia it wont let me post a link here.

ReDdevil87 wrote: »
    Did you notice any regrowth of new hair while on it or did it just halt further hairloss, not that that is a bad thing. I went the docs today and told him I was thinking of taking it, he didn't know much about it to be honest but he's sending me for a blood check see if there can be an improvement made somewhere else first. I was on anti depressants for year not to long ago and I read that these cause hair loss, some say that if you go off them after the 6mth mark your hair to start to grow back. The 6mth mark will be up in a week so i'll see what happens.

Depression is listed as one of the side effects on propecia.

"Did you notice any regrowth of new hair while on it or did it just halt further hairloss,"

Whilst on the aforementioned drug, I can't say I noticed any hair regrowth at all. I stopped taking it a year later. 6 months after not taking it, I have not noticed any hair loss either (which I was constantly warned about).
    I am not sure how helpful this is as everybody is different.

I am more and more of the opinion nowadays to recommend to people not to take this drug and just fork out for a HT. The sample size of users and information about finesteride is too small in my opinion (also, I think many men don't like to discuss the negative side effects and so this information doesn't get out there)
    In my case the HT has just worked out so well, so this is what I recommend to people.

Irish Doctor Andrew Rynne has done a new interview about propecia's side effects.

I cant post the link here. For anyone who wants to hear the interview google "dr andrew rynne podcast" and it will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bresk.2008

Hi - has anyone been to the Ailesbury Clinic? I'm trying to decide between Ailesbury and the Therapie clinic. Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gl1986

Hi frank ,

I saw your post about your hair transplant . In considering getting one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks a mill

Gary

• Advertisement

Hi ReDdevil,

The problem is that if you do get side effects from finasteride they can be PERMANMENT and in many cases they only start AFTER you stop taking it.

Check out pfsfoundation.org for more info.

Advertisement