Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

zombie apocalypse

• 24-04-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

so we've all thought about it and a few have even played some zombie games so heres a link to our greatest fantasy to date (so i may be over indulging in greatest fantasy terms) but it would still be good. All details here.

http://wish.co.uk/zombie-shopping-mall/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

From what I remember a couple of lads went there to play airsoft before. CQB rather than players vs. zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I was wondering was it the same place but the idea sounds good though

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SpektorDyl

Lad your not allowed to bring your own gun, you only get 3 hours from what I can see and its €170 (not including travel expenses) when you can go to Corruption (Vacant, larger indoor site than the mall) for around €90 for the entire weekend.

And not only can you shoot zombies in the head in that event but there are other special characters too.

Go to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056553215 for a class video, I was there kicking ass and it was awesome, EPIC, deadly. Ba-donka-donk!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

well that is for a package, you can get direct events with first and only who run the site for a lot less

disused mall > all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SpektorDyl

I assure you Vacant Airsoft is Substancially bigger than the mall and well worth the money!

• Advertisement

agree it is cheaper, well we have had the conversation about the size of vacant before so no need to repeat it, but what you prefer and what you see as value for money is down to the individual, all i said was personally I prefer the settings of the Mall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 455 ✭✭UMP45

Puding wrote: »
    agree it is cheaper, well we have had the conversation about the size of vacant before so no need to repeat it, but what you prefer and what you see as value for money is down to the individual, all i said was personally I prefer the settings of the Mall

the cover in vacant is completely changed from what you see in this video, cover has been made in such a way to make it equal for both sides :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CQB Airsoft

Vacant is 375,000 sq ft not including the outdoor area (previous estimates based on landlords word "cubic" :o) and the mall is 250,000 so there is no debate on the issue but I think spektor was just commenting on the zombie events anyway not the sites themselves.

When the site first opened it only had half a roof so unfortunately we had to concentrate most of our funds on that amongst other basic building requirements such as lights and security but since then we have been able to adjust/add the cover and doorways e.t.c.

You also chose a terrible video with very simple editing on a slow days gaming to represent our site that only shows you one of the many, and what was the worst of all the areas that has since been refurbished. I'm not saying we are better than the mall because I was never there but you have never been to vacant and so you can't really give a valid opinion either.

What do you mean by the settings?

For anyone reading this here are a couple of videos, now again these vids are a little outdated too but we are currently editing our most current ones.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/CZy6s1SGT8s?feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZruuxdkvNCg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Jaysus Puding, that's one old ass video you dug up there. You should really take a trip out to the site this weekend and see how it has changed.

I'm sure the lads are dying to meet ya anyway.

Ok guys people need to see one saying they prefer something as an attack on the other thing.

I'm not to bothered with over all size, as I say I would prefer the Mall because of the setting ( e.g its a Mall with shops of all types, loading areas and multi levels for example ) for a zombie game.

I picked the first two videos that came up for each site, the video for the mall is also very old as well.

As I said this is my personal preference and only that, why is there a problem with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cool Breeze

Vacant has more angles, more attack options and offers carnage from all sides.

Angles:
    The natural layout of Vacant (blueprint: corridors, rooms, walls) creates fantastic exchanges of fire between opposing teams (and zombies!). The tight angles on offer reward smart thinking, aggressive tactics and good aim :)

Attack options:
    Also due to the Vietcong way in which the building has been set up, you have multiple options for attacking enemies. Rarely do you have to attack enemies head-on (unless the game is specifically designed as such). There's a whole range of flanking options open to you: and this means that even though you play the same game-type each week, the outcome is decided differently. So the result is endless variety, and a lot of fun :)

Carnage from all directions:
    Due to the way the lads have set up Vacant (that is, improving on the already terrific layout), the CQB experience in Vacant is unrivaled: at most points in the building you can expect a 360 degree line of fire from enemies. This is a lot of fun: because it demands fast reflexes, accurate firing, and reliance on teammates to cover you backside! :)

You can't logically put the Mall in the same category as Vacant: as the freedom to roam and explore in Vacant is not matched in the Mall.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MARV_AL

Vacant is probably the best site I've been to. Great staff. Great venue and great players. You need to sample different places to have an educated opinion On if one place is better than the other.

My only problem with your assessment is that you have not played at Vacant: therefore you cannot state that you prefer the mall without first experiencing Vacant. This is negative and biased posting. I do not like it, because Vacant represents everything that is good about Airsoft in Ireland.

The zombie games are amazing. The milsim games are amazing. The regular games are amazing. The regular players are friendly and talented. The marshals are friendly and fair.
    You are dismissing something that a lot of people love, without even trying it yourself.
    This naturally upsets fans of Vacant (like me).
    Ok guys people need to see one saying they prefer something as an attack on the other thing.

I'm not to bothered with over all size, as I say I would prefer the Mall because of the setting ( e.g its a Mall with shops of all types, loading areas and multi levels for example ) for a zombie game.

I picked the first two videos that came up for each site, the video for the mall is also very old as well.

As I said this is my personal preference and only that, why is there a problem with that?

I have no problem at all, thats not the first vid that comes up for our site on either our website or youtube but sure whatever. I was just pointing out to anyone reading this thread that the video you posted does not at all represent our site as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭citizenken

firstly I can't believe that anyone would want to promote a Uk based business over an Irish based business:confused:. Secondly having played Vacant I can vouch for the lads there and say the site is substantially different from what is represented here.
    I havn' played the mall but I believe it's a great site as well.

You can't make a preference on the basis of a video you have seen, you really should get up there and try it for yourself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

I did a Google search for "vacant airsoft" and over 30 videos came up. none the same as yours.

and what do you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgdCMEzS9LY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

there's zombies about !!!!

simpsons-mob.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Pfffft.

or for non-airsoft: 2.8 Hours Later. Which despite not an airsoft gun in sight is f*cking awesome. I know because I've done it. Not in Ireland *shock horror*

Incidentally;
    citizenken wrote: »
    firstly I can't believe that anyone would want to promote a Uk based business over an Irish based business

Short memories around here ...

/Thread STFU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Guys this thread is ridiculous!

The OP put up an informative post about a Zombie event in the Mall in Reading, which is regarded among Irish airsofters as a place of pilgrimage, much the same as Sennybridge and Copehill. It was not about promoting a UK-based business over an Irish one, nor was it a dig at the Airsoft Reloaded guys. SpektorDyl was shocked at the cost, and brought Vacant into the discussion showing a better ticket price closer to home, to which Puding brought up the difference between cost and value, stating that he (personally) preferred the thought of a disused Mall for a Zombie event.

There has never been a jab in at Vacant in this thread, so I don't see why there are such erroneous levels of passive-aggressive posts. Dave came in to make sure people knew that the site is vastly different to what is shown in the video Puding linked to, which is fair enough (PS: just for balance, I searched Airsoft Reloaded Vacant into YouTube, and it was the 9th vid - so with different search parameters, it is certainly possible it came up first) - as you would expect; it's only fair to keep people up-to-date, especially when they're coming up in discussion as much as they are in this thread.

A disagreement in preference based on personal opinion for a Zombie game, and one person coming in to make sure people know that the site is far better than shown in the video has devolved into a serious debate about personal opinion, where it seems that Puding is against the world.

Personal preference and opinion is personal; there's no need to get that heated over it. Vacant is a good site, and so too is the Mall. Why is there an argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Inari wrote: »
    Why is there an argument?

because with certain groups within this country (not just in airsoft), your either singing their praises or your out to get them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Steo_123

thermo wrote: »
    because with certain groups within this country (not just in airsoft), your either singing their praises or your out to get them :rolleyes:

No one asked for your opinion.

None of the lads had a go at Puding there so I see no need for the mob pic, they are just defending the site they love from what they saw as negative remarks about it. Cool Breeze just said you should try it before judging it, I just let people know that the place doesn't look like that and everyeone else just said it is deadly.

Sure thanks anyway lads.
    Steo_123 wrote: »

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Steo_123 wrote: »

and yet i gave it, fancy that, an opinion given on a discussion board. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dracimus

And on topic, Puding do you mind me asking have you played in either site? As you have said which would be your preference im wondering if your speaking from experiencing both or just from expectation.

Thanks.

Inari wrote: »
    Guys this thread is ridiculous!

The OP put up an informative post about a Zombie event in the Mall in Reading, which is regarded among Irish airsofters as a place of pilgrimage, much the same as Sennybridge and Copehill. It was not about promoting a UK-based business over an Irish one, nor was it a dig at the Airsoft Reloaded guys. SpektorDyl was shocked at the cost, and brought Vacant into the discussion showing a better ticket price closer to home, to which Puding brought up the difference between cost and value, stating that he (personally) preferred the thought of a disused Mall for a Zombie event.

There has never been a jab in at Vacant in this thread, so I don't see why there are such erroneous levels of passive-aggressive posts. Dave came in to make sure people knew that the site is vastly different to what is shown in the video Puding linked to, which is fair enough (PS: just for balance, I searched Airsoft Reloaded Vacant into YouTube, and it was the 9th vid - so with different search parameters, it is certainly possible it came up first) - as you would expect; it's only fair to keep people up-to-date, especially when they're coming up in discussion as much as they are in this thread.

A disagreement in preference based on personal opinion for a Zombie game, and one person coming in to make sure people know that the site is far better than shown in the video has devolved into a serious debate about personal opinion, where it seems that Puding is against the world.

Personal preference and opinion is personal; there's no need to get that heated over it. Vacant is a good site, and so too is the Mall. Why is there an argument?

fair point Inari.
    But whilst defending Vacant, I was trying to impart just how wicked a site it is.
    The Zombie games in particular are simply awesome! :)
    The "actors" who play the zombies go all-out (costumes, walk, sounds, run, body language, crawling, hit taking).
    And the 'nemesis' bosses are seriously frightening! You haven't truly experienced Airsoft zombie action until you've found yourself running from a horde of zombies into an office area with a loooooong hallway - only to see a nemesis with a chainsaw at one end, and another nemesis with an M60 at the other end: you being the meat in this sandwich!
    Needless to say, the world hasn't seen an Australian run like that since Cathy Freeman at the 2000 Olympics!

And when you do manage to shoot yourself out of a tough spot with immaculate headshots: it is a very exhilarating :)
    (btw, chances are you'll turn a corner straight after and get eaten)

Soooo OP'er, definitely checkout the next "corruption" event at Vacant: and I promise you will become just as passionate as the rest of the Vacant lovers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

I don't know the details hrta, but didnt you give away all the items from your site last year.

never seen a go kat or go kart onsite myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭C0RPS3R

I'm not here to jump on the band wagon lads but I will say one thing;
    Vacant is the reason I became a dedicated airsofter - this site has given me the opportunity to have some absolutely unforgettable times within it. Not least corruption. It's a phenomenal game type set in the perfect location.
    The lads in Vacant do a great job in making sure every zombie event is spectacular!
    thermo wrote: »

Also, Thermo, are you not a mod? Like an impartial observer into airsoft discussions and someone who keeps the peace within the discussion community?
    Cause your comment seemed to be fuelling a fire, not putting it out.
    Seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Lads seriously I started this thread as I found an interesting link to a site I thought was cool and just wanted to show it. I was in no way promoting anything but Irish!!! Seriously people need to take 5 mins away from their negativity and read and digest a statement before responding!

I have never played either site and would love to but as was pointed out earlier it would cost €170 so i said a fantasy but in saying that if I went to vacant it would cost me entrance plus rental (if I didn't bring my own weapons) plus €100 in diesel and toll so all in all the bones of €150.

I also stated that some others may have experienced zombie games here but I do have one question to vacant. Do you employ actors for your zombies?

It started off as a simple thread to show an Idea but to true boards fashion people have to take it the next step!! Yet as was also pointed out nothing was ever mentioned about lads organising trips to the Mall or Senny or Berget or even Predator for that matter.

My apologies to puding as he seems to have been focused on at the start even though it us my op.
    My thanks to inari for trying to bring it back online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

dont worry puddin you're not alone i think the mall would make a great setting.

• Advertisement

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    Lads seriously I started this thread as I found an interesting link to a site I thought was cool and just wanted to show it. I was in no way promoting anything but Irish!!! Seriously people need to take 5 mins away from their negativity and read and digest a statement before responding!

I have never played either site and would love to but as was pointed out earlier it would cost €170 so i said a fantasy but in saying that if I went to vacant it would cost me entrance plus rental (if I didn't bring my own weapons) plus €100 in diesel and toll so all in all the bones of €150.

I also stated that some others may have experienced zombie games here but I do have one question to vacant. Do you employ actors for your zombies?

It started off as a simple thread to show an Idea but to true boards fashion people have to take it the next step!! Yet as was also pointed out nothing was ever mentioned about lads organising trips to the Mall or Senny or Berget or even Predator for that matter.

My apologies to puding as he seems to have been focused on at the start even though it us my op.
    My thanks to inari for trying to bring it back online

I hope you found my posts useful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement