Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

What happened there???

Bomb scares from what I remember. Crumlin is my local store and it is the worst one (or four!) that I've ever been in. Separate offie and drapery I can sort of understand but why have frozen food separate from the rest of the groceries? It means anyone shopping there will more than likely need two stops. I've been in there once since moving back to the area and once was more than enough, won't be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

donna35 wrote: »
    Bomb scares from what I remember. Crumlin is my local store and it is the worst one (or four!) that I've ever been in. Separate offie and drapery I can sort of understand but why have frozen food separate from the rest of the groceries? It means anyone shopping there will more than likely need two stops. I've been in there once since moving back to the area and once was more than enough, won't be returning.

You arrive at Crumlin SC. Into Dunnes clothes to use the ATM. Then up to the back section to buy the newspaper. Now you want a frozen pizza. Out again. Up into the other Dunnes for that. Damn. I forgot the drink. Will I go down to the Dunnes offie (shop 3) or down to Tescos 'cos they usually have deals on booze and I can pick up the cheap catfood there too.
    I would recommend anybody doing retail management / urban planning / anything along those lines to visit Crumlin SC just to see how bad things can become. Its cheaper than a trip to the zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Jeez, that one in Tullamore is ghastly alright - http://www.fallonformwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

The Dunnes in Navan is tiny and pretty grim. The security guy is always standing right beside the alcohol aisle watching everybody. It still does great business because it's in the town centre and all the old biddies shop there.

For a nice Dunnes I'd say the one out in Knocknacarra in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Crumlin SC would have to be up there in a top 3 alright. I'm old enough (just about) to remember when it was all broken up into the different sections. The manager told my parents that the lease for Crazy Prices (now Tesco) stated there wouldn't be another grocery shop in the SC above a certain sq footage. So Dunnes had to break up into small sections. My parents would walk between the various Dunnes with the trolley full of messages and only pay at the end point.

Apparently the SC is owned by Dunnes so this clause in the Crazy Prices lease seemed very bizarre. Dunnes decided then to built Ashleaf and move out of Crumlin SC and built house and apartments on it. But some of the tenants refused to leave the SC so Dunnes just let it go to rack and ruin. Hoping everyone would leave eventually. Only ones in it now and Dunnes, Tesco and the chemist.

Sure the gym up there was very popular but Dunnes wouldn't renew the lease when it was up.

As soon as Tesco leaves there will be planning permission for houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Immy wrote: »
    Crumlin SC would have to be up there in a top 3 alright. I'm old enough (just about) to remember when it was all broken up into the different sections. The manager told my parents that the lease for Crazy Prices (now Tesco) stated there wouldn't be another grocery shop in the SC above a certain sq footage. So Dunnes had to break up into small sections. My parents would walk between the various Dunnes with the trolley full of messages and only pay at the end point.

Apparently the SC is owned by Dunnes so this clause in the Crazy Prices lease seemed very bizarre. Dunnes decided then to built Ashleaf and move out of Crumlin SC and built house and apartments on it. But some of the tenants refused to leave the SC so Dunnes just let it go to rack and ruin. Hoping everyone would leave eventually. Only ones in it now and Dunnes, Tesco and the chemist.

Sure the gym up there was very popular but Dunnes wouldn't renew the lease when it was up.

As soon as Tesco leaves there will be planning permission for houses.

The site would be perfect for a Clare Hall type centre given the population density of the area. Maybe Dunnes could go into the 24 hour game. But that would require vision.

I would hate to see low density housing and just residential on that site. Apartments and a shopping complex at least should be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

amdublin wrote: »
    And a facebook page. Depressing Dunnes of Ireland.

Do this. Now.
    EDIT: Beaten to it, I see.
    -

Another one is Dundalk's Park street, now shut down thankfully, was the most depressing place on earth. Got firebombed back in the 90's and when it reopened, it looked worse than before. Sh1t brown carpets, zombie staff and some hunched, miserable teenager pushing around a big brown plastic bin of hangers. The pits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

coolemon wrote: »
    Maybe Dunnes could go into the 24 hour game. But that would require vision.

Too true, and typical of any large privately owned biz throughout the land not just these good folks, buy kinda understandable in some ways.

As no one wants to rock the boat, 'yes' men/ladies, head nodding and so on. Keep the 'aul head down kinda outlook. As long as the top dogs can look forward to the early golden pension, maybe few games golf in Algarve in later years why take any risk.

Imagine the only SWOT analysis ongoing in companies like this is how to approach the flies upon the whiteboard.

Anyway, off the local 24hr Tesco where can get the car filled, visit the cafe and who knows maybe even get an eye test and some dry cleaning done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Biased: I think both Tullamore Dunnes are decent, used to Work in Bridge Centre and we won store of the year!
    Church rd is ok except the shopping centre is a bit jaded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Dunnes could do with taking a few tips from Penny's, have you seen the one on Mary Street, it's like a scene outta fcking Tron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Back on Crumlin - whoever owns it, Dunnes is doing nobody any favours as it stands (and crumbles now). Tesco's is a perfectly presentable modern supermarket that's known only to locals. Any passing trade will walk in the front entrance, see the tumbleweed and turn tail.
    It wouldn't be beyond the pale if the two retail giants co-operated in a refurb of the entire centre allowing smaller non-competing businesses to open up again. Failing that they should both quit messing about and sell up to Aldi or Lidl who actually do live in the 21st century.
    Nobody shops guaranteed Irish anymore, anybody doing a heavy shop will go into both Dunnes and Tescos (using their loyalty cards in both).

It goes even beyond that. Whatever rumpus Tesco and Dunnes are having in Crumlin the main losers are the community who have nowhere to congregate, have a cup of coffee. Crumlin doesn't see to have much of a villiage centre feel to it and that part of it is just a busy throughfare. So to deny the locals the community need to have somewhere they can bump into neighbours, have a chat, all those things that bind a community together are denied to them by Dunnes and Tesco having their little spat. I'd suggest the best thing the residents could do is organise a complete local boycott of both supermarkets till they come to some sort of agreement to sort out the ghetto that they've created. But that would mean local people would lose jobs so the situation really is a catch 22. Its one of those occasions where the state should be able to ride over property rights if some company is acting against the common good.
    coolemon wrote: »
    The site would be perfect for a Clare Hall type centre given the population density of the area. Maybe Dunnes could go into the 24 hour game. But that would require vision.

I would hate to see low density housing and just residential on that site. Apartments and a shopping complex at least should be built.

Its a massive site, not as big as Dundrum but still pretty sizeable. I'd imagine the chance to get something monstrous built there in terms of retail would be hard now that the councils see the traffic problems Dundrum has resulted in. But the site is on a busy artery into the city with a large popularion surrounding it. If done right it would be a goldmine and would rejuvenate that part of Crumlin.
    Joe Doe wrote: »

Anyway, off the local 24hr Tesco where can get the car filled, visit the cafe and who knows maybe even get an eye test and some dry cleaning done...

A lot of Tescos stopped being 24 hours around 3 years back, Clearwater for sure and defintely a few others.
    Dunnes could do with taking a few tips from Penny's, have you seen the one on Mary Street, it's like a scene outta fcking Tron.

That Pennys is something else now that its done up. It literally stretches all the way from Parnell Street to Mary St with I think 3 if not four floors over ground level. They've gone and taken a huge chuck of an entire block between Parnell and Mary. The footfall in it is absolutely colossal too, I've never see it quiet, weekday or weekend. I think it was really a case of 'built it and they will come' for Pennys and it really has worked out well for them. I'm guessing the store is Ireland's 2nd largest retail space, after IKEA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Good point. That Penneys is amazing. And a great example of how to get it right, remember when Penneys was all strangely misshapen tat in Yellow Pack looking shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

From what I was told while working for a company who looked after the transport& distribution for them, Was when Dunnes would open up a new store they would eventually close the old store rather than rent it out to a competitor.
    As for Dunnes mgmt they are way behind when it comes to transport & distribution,All the major multiples have dedicated distribution centers throughout Ireland.
    Which means possibly 1/2 truck delivery a day were as you try to deliver to Dunnes and there is trucks from about 5/10 companies trying to make a delivery.

It is one job that I will never miss doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I did a search of this thread and I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Dunnes in Shannon Town centre!

It's the most miserable place. The cheapest greyest possible fluorescent lighting, there aren't any ceiling panels so you are lookin up into all the ventilation ducts and piping and wires. The shop is poorly stocked and never has anything that I'm looking for on the rare occasion that I go in there.

You walk in from the hall of the main shopping centre into the dunnes and it's at least 30% darker and more miserable once you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Akrasia wrote: »
    I did a search of this thread and I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Dunnes in Shannon Town centre!

It's the most miserable place. The cheapest greyest possible fluorescent lighting, there aren't any ceiling panels so you are lookin up into all the ventilation ducts and piping and wires. The shop is poorly stocked and never has anything that I'm looking for on the rare occasion that I go in there.

You walk in from the hall of the main shopping centre into the dunnes and it's at least 30% darker and more miserable once you get in.

Nobody goes to Shannon unless they are flying out of/into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

If you are not sure about college or didn't get enough points or are a mature student looking ot go back to college, you should check out the APPLIED SCIENCE - FETAC LEVEL 5 courses. THere is one in Offaly that is doing great things. Its got students who are now the top performers in science in AIT and other colleges. Check it out on the Laois/OffalyETB website. Its called Lab Techniques/Applied Science. I think they do it in Cavan and Tralee as well.

ok, thanks :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Penneys' flagship stores may be all shiny and impressive, but they have some utter kips tucked into corners that are far more grim than any Dunnes. Naas and Rathfarnham shopping centre spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

sadie06 wrote: »
    Penneys' flagship stores may be all shiny and impressive, but they have some utter kips tucked into corners that are far more grim than any Dunnes. Naas and Rathfarnham shopping centre spring to mind.

Penneys in Ennis still has posters from the late 80s. I know this because I remember getting excited that one of the men looked like Jason Donovan, and having to explain to my aunt who he was. I was there a few months back and he is still there! :D

I still prefer it to Dunnes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The one in the Square in Tallaght is actually fairly decent. Two large open floors and not bleak even though there are no windows.

The one in the Ilac is pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Just saw that someone, a boardsie I assume, has created the Depressing Dunnes FB page. Can't wait to see pics of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I remember the old Dunnes in Tralee on the main street with the red and white check square lino on the floors and was always cramped and dingy. The new one is about 20 years old and has stood the test of time well. I would think most of the network around the country has been upgraded now - it's years since i saw an ugly Dunnes.

Likewise the old Penneys in Tralee and Killarney were awful but have been replaced by excellent, massive, shiny new stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Dunnes is so depressing, especially when buying cheap alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

surely its been mentioned but the one in crumlin shopping centre is like being transfered back to the 1980s. grim as you can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There are definitely more kips left than shiny new ones. The ones I worked in are more middle of the road..though one was mentioned a few times..than outright ****eholes thankfully.

I also worked in Penneys Mary Street. The contrast is hilarious. The staff are happy and there are enough of them, things run smoothly, customer service exists and the managers are not petty assholes. Dunnes could learn a lot from Penneys alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

donna35 wrote: »
    Just saw that someone, a boardsie I assume, has created the Depressing Dunnes FB page. Can't wait to see pics of them all.

haha thats a great idea, funnily enough I'm looking forward to seeing pics of Depressing Dunnes from around Ireland so I can compare them with the depressing Dunnes that I'm familar with and see if they stack up in terms of depression.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    surely its been mentioned but the one in crumlin shopping centre is like being transfered back to the 1980s. grim as you can get!

Yeah Crumlin has been mentioned quite a bit, especially in the last few pages. Tis a right kip for sure, defintely top 3 most seem to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

MarkY91 wrote: »

It seems to be the champion so far alright, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

It's not all bad...

https://vine.co/v/MYeaAvlvM7e

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

c_man wrote: »
    Jeez, that one in Tullamore is ghastly alright - http://www.fallonformwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/034.jpg

And that was after it was renovated about 8/9 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

wouldn't take much to jazzitupabit, 10mins artwork and few handy chaps with ladders....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Penneys in Ennis still has posters from the late 80s. I know this because I remember getting excited that one of the men looked like Jason Donovan, and having to explain to my aunt who he was. I was there a few months back and he is still there! :D

I still prefer it to Dunnes though!
    I remember being there in July asking one of the staff members where the stairs down to the baby section was and getting a look that cut me in two

Advertisement