Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Splitter

Options
  • 23-04-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a log splitter to take the work out of splitting logs from some felled trees on my land. I've come across this one which seems a good comprimise between ability and price. Just wondering if anyone has used one of these or if they have any thoughts about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

linky no worky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I've got a 13 tonne one of these a number of years ago, pto flexible linkage, tables and can run on lowest revs of Ford 3600 (although I give it a bit more welly usually): (green diesel running costs therefore very low):

http://www.thor-italy.com/eng/farmer_v.html

It was a good price relative to others and delivered pdq from here:

http://www.mlarge.com/machinery_sales.html

It does the knottyest of wood without any effort, I ring up my wood with a chainsaw to about 8-12 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Sorry, it's this one here. http://www.jebbtools.ie/.7-Ton-Log-Splitter-Horizontal-_LS7T.htm
    PTO is no good, I don't have a tractor ;)
    It's mainly ash that I'll be splitting.

Ash? I wouldn't bother with that splitter, they are slow.
    Just get a good splitting maul and you'll bust all the Ash you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I have seen people using these splitters and I wonder why they bother... it's like watching grass grow seeing one of these machines split a log.. then the electricity they use and the maintenance of them..

I prefer a big axe!

• Advertisement

To be honest the main reason I wanted to get it was because my father spends a lot of time splitting wood. He has a really bad back and has developed adult scoliosis as well as other problems. He's not supposed to do hard work put is stubborn so won't stop. I figured this splitter would at least save him a bit of trouble. If it's slow though he might not bother using it. He can be stuck in his ways.

If you want to make it easy for him, make him a splitting log with a tyre around the top to stop the wood from flying all over the place.
    Easy to make, get a tyre with an OD the same as the Butt of the log you are going to use for splitting on.
    Make radial cuts all around the tyre from the bead out to the edge of the tyre.
    Stretch the tyre over the log and secure it by nailing fence staples over the bead and into the log.
    This is a bad example but you get the idea.
    It saves a lot of work being able to pick up the splits from inside the tyre instead of bending over.

With the logsplitter I got through the annual chop in 2 days rather than the usual 4+, and I didnt have a sore back nor wrists from chopping nor sore shins from flying wood. Very little effort required compared to chopping with an axe. Worth every penny to save my body for other uses :D.

Your chosen one looks good and 7 tonne would deal with suitably ringed ash easily, avoid the knottyest. Note the size limit of wood rings 25cm.

The only thing I would worry about is electricity outside, I personally dont like it and would much prefer a petrol/diesel(marked;)) driven splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

CamperMan wrote: »
    . then the electricity they use and the maintenance of them..
    !

Electricity would not cost much it has a 2100 watt motor so it would use 2.1 units in an hour, a unit of electricity costs less than 20 cenr including vat so for a 10 hour day 2 euro and that is it going all the time. Generally I find electrical machines have less maintenance than petrol or diesel machines no annual servics etc. I have a bella 220V cement mixer it has mixed a load of concrete still perfect no service just check oil level now and again. However I wonder how strong it is it only has a 7 ton ram the splitter at the end looks light enough and I prefer if it was 110V. Have never seen one in operation so do not know how slow they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Just had a look on youtube to see if I could find that particular splitter. I found a different make 7 tonne splitter that looks very similar to the one advertised on http://www.jebbtools.ie/.7-Ton-Log-Splitter-Horizontal-_LS7T.htm

http://www.hartnett-products.ie/7-Ton-Log-Splitter.php

Looks good for the money @ €250 including a 12 month warranty. The company selling them is based in Co. Cork. In my opinion it will take a lot of the back ache out of splitting logs with an axe especially when your father has health troubles. Obviously as it's running on 230 volts, it would be preferable to be doing the splitting in a shed or garage or at least have an rcd safety switch at the socket. Happy splitting:)

• Advertisement

Also here is the official company youtube video available on their own website http://www.hartnett-products.ie/Demo-Videos.php

Note you can adjust the return position of the ram also depending on the length of your logs. The only downside I can see (or rather hear) is the noise that the machine makes. That would wreck my head, I guess you might get used to it after a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

That thing sounds terrible alright, would much prefer listening to a well tuned saw.

kay 9 wrote: »
    That thing sounds terrible alright, would much prefer listening to a well tuned saw.

I think I'd have an ear full of that splitter after about 10 minutes, mind you 10 minutes work splitting with it would probably keep you in firewood for a few days.

If I could have any splitter sitting out in my back garden, it would have to be this one below. I'd happily split wood at this one all day long!

oooooohhhhhhh lovely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Jack_regan wrote: »
    If I could have any splitter sitting out in my back garden, it would have to be this one below. I'd happily split wood at this one all day long!

What a beauty!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

There's one similar to that but it's horse powered:) Seen it on the tube some time ago.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to order it. The noise is a bit annoying but I guess we'll wear ear defenders when using it. Power shouldn't be a problem as I have a petrol generator that I use when general power is available.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

sh1t did you see how close his head gets to the blade when he picks up a log:eek:?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

blue5000 wrote: »
    sh1t did you see how close his head gets to the blade when he picks up a log:eek:?

I say you only get hit by it once:cool:

Effects wrote: »
    The noise is a bit annoying but I guess we'll wear ear defenders when using it.

I'd say it will do the job you want it to all right. As for the noise, I'd say it won't be so bad if you have the radio on in the background. After you split a few hundred logs, I doubt you'll even notice the noise it makes as you grow accustomed to it.

Let us know how you get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Effects wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to order it. The noise is a bit annoying but I guess we'll wear ear defenders when using it. Power shouldn't be a problem as I have a petrol generator that I use when general power is available.

I always wear those little yellow ear plugs as well as ear defenders, they are very cheap from your local pharmacy and make a huge difference to the ears and head after a days splitting, chipping or chainsawing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Oldtree wrote: »
    I always wear those little yellow ear plugs as well as ear defenders, they are very cheap from your local pharmacy and make a huge difference to the ears and head after a days splitting, chipping or chainsawing.
    Constant loud noise = fatigue
    Fatigue + cutting machines = serious risk of serious accident
    Protect your hearing and you'll be able to work for much longer, and a lot more safely.

V. good idea to wear the doubled up protection imo - the ear defenders alone offer questionable hearing protection.

Long or repeated exposure to sounds at or above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. I was always told that in a slightly different way in that over 90 decibels causes permenant damage ie deafness after 10 minutes so as the chipper goes at 110db (35 hp izuzu marine diesel engine yum yum) I am always very careful. Chainsaws can easily get to 100db, power mowers to 90db!

I want to be able to hear what the grandkids say to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

111dB for 3.5 mins is the equivalent to 90dB for 8 hrs, so double protection is important when using very noisy equipment.
    Correct fitting of ear plugs is critical, you really have to use both hands, with one straighten ear canal and the other inserting plug.
    Also you need to keep an eye on condition of ear muffs, when cuffs get worn you need to scrap them.
    If you have glasses underneath, you may as well leave muffs on shelf!

You only get one set of ears!

Long or repeated exposure to sounds at or above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. I was always told that in a slightly different way in that over 90 decibels causes permenant damage ie deafness after 10 minutes so as the chipper goes at 110db (35 hp izuzu marine diesel engine yum yum) I am always very careful. Chainsaws can easily get to 100db, power mowers to 90db!

I want to be able to hear what the grandkids say to me.

Forgot to mention that I also put an extra set of sponges into earmuffs, treble protection ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Forgot to mention that I also put an extra set of sponges into earmuffs, treble protection ;)

just out of curiosity oldtree, could you still hear someone if they were shouting at you to stop working? i would always say its just as important to hear that as not hear the machinery

you dont "not hear" the machinery, it just deadens the volume somewhat. Even the small 020t chainsaw is 113db so the chances of hearing groundstaff up a tree with the chainsaw going is unlikely, so it is always important to keep checking on them, everybody to know whats going on and having predetermined hand signals and for them to keep any hazards at bay. As for the chipper then a gentle tap on the shoulder usually gets an immediate response in the form of hitting the safety shut off bar.

If you damage your hearing for percieved safety reasons then you end up in a position of not being able to hear shouting anyway. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

a ye im not saying damage hearing to hear others at all.

i'll have to try the "oldtree triple protection". you might want to patent it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Hi Effects,
    If you want to split medium size logs easily then the electro hydraulic splitter is a great job. I bought one from Lidl (!!) a few years ago - 4 ton - for €200 and it keeps my house going fine. The noise is nothing like as obtrusive as the video clip above suggests and you wouldn't notice it when you are working. Perfect for logs up to 1ft in diameter I would say. I have split much bigger stuff but you risk bending components if it slips off line ( I had to straighten the brackets for the guide rails at one stage). It's handier than a tractor splitter if you are only doing enough for your own house and fairly compact for storage. If buying one make sure it is provided with legs as it's much easier to use at waist level. I'd say your dad would love it!

Advertisement