Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended Scale and Polish.

Options
  • 23-04-2012 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I had a dental examination today and the dentist recommended an "extended scale and polish" which was needed to clean heavy build up of plaque and stains on my teeth. He explained that a standard clean would not be sufficient and the cost of the treatment would be €70.00.

I spoke to a dentist in Warrenpoint who advised me that they would charge £25.00 for this service. They assured me that my teeth would be properly cleaned no matter how mucky they were.

Am I missing something or is this just another example of the Rip Off Republic in action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I had a dental examination today and the dentist recommended an "extended scale and polish" which was needed to clean heavy build up of plaque and stains on my teeth. He explained that a standard clean would not be sufficient and the cost of the treatment would be €70.00.

I spoke to a dentist in Warrenpoint who advised me that they would charge £25.00 for this service. They assured me that my teeth would be properly cleaned no matter how mucky they were.

Am I missing something or is this just another example of the Rip Off Republic in action?

Welcome to boards Horace.
    €70 is a pretty average price for a cleaning. What do you mean by extended? Do you have extra tea/coffee/ wine/ smoking stains that needs polishing or have you some plaque/ debris below the gumline requiring deep scaling?
    One dentist has given an average price for a job after examining you, another has given a lowball price over the phone without seeing what needs to be done... whats better??
    You can get a carwash for €5 or €thousands http://swns.com/britains-most-expensive-car-wash-191015.html Both cars will be clean afterwards but one will be better.....
    You get what you pay for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Horace The Greek

Welcome to boards Horace.
    €70 is a pretty average price for a cleaning. What do you mean by extended? Do you have extra tea/coffee/ wine/ smoking stains that needs polishing or have you some plaque/ debris below the gumline requiring deep scaling?

Thanks for that.

He uses the term extended. The basic scrape and clean is priced at €45 (from his price list) which is still a good bit over the NI price.

The guy in Warrenpoint is an excellent dentist who I have used for many years with no problems. I fully explained what the SI guy said and he is happy with £25.00.

In fact comparing the price lists for fillings, crowns etc., the guy in the south is about 1.75 times dearer than the NI one. Also, his prices are not out of line with any others I checked.

I can't understand why this is. I don't believe for a second that all SI dentists are crooks and once you cross the border they become honest men.

Life is just not like this. The cause has got to be systemic - Higher Insurance,wages rents maybe but it is hard to see how that can
    have such a dramatic effect on prices.

Life is just not like this. The cause has got to be systemic - Higher Insurance,wages rents maybe but it is hard to see how that can
    have such a dramatic effect on prices.

It does...
    Read this thread and replace subway with dentist....!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056482354

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

The moral of the story is get your teeth cleaned up north and pick up a sub before heading back home.:D

The moral of the story is get your teeth cleaned up north and pick up a sub before heading back home.:D
    That's what I said...!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Horace The Greek

201833.jpg

Thanks all

Advertisement