Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 year old woman dies during London Marathon

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have done a good few races over the years from 5k to marathons.
    But i only seen two people get cpr in all the races i have done and they were 5miles and 10k!

So if your that worry and going by my science:rolleyes: you should stop doing 5miles and 10k races and do marathons!!

Actually what did the study say about ultras?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Remember talk to my father that back in the day he got up at 4 in the morning and cycled from Cork to Dublin for the all-Ireland and cycled back the next day. No fancy bikes in those days and it was no big deal as loads of people did it. People are soft today. Back in the day when agriculture was the dominant sector in Ireland people trained more than they did today and did a day's hard work also. There was a lot less medical problems and people died from stuff that is today curable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

youtube! wrote: »
    Look mate read the article,regardless of it being made up of several studies and regardless of it not being 100% conclusive it does make a lot of valid points, when I started only last year to do the C25K prog which is absolutely brilliant in every way, I promised myself that one day I would run a marathon,however even though I can run 5k-10ks in my sleep literally now, I have educated myself to reason that it is not a good idea to overdo it. HIT training is where its at no doubt in my mind about that. Check out the BBC Horizon programme "the truth about exercise" for a real eye opener about training.

Just as an aside when I was a kid my best mates Dad ran Marathons all the time,never drank or put junk food in his body, a total long distance running freak he had a quadruple bypass at the age of 46, he died at 58, not saying it was because of the marathon running but it wouldnt surprise me in the least.
    Running 5k to 10k in your sleep is very dangerous. It may be time efficient but can lead to injury and in some cases even death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

youtube! wrote: »

Just as an aside when I was a kid my best mates Dad ran Marathons all the time,never drank or put junk food in his body, a total long distance running freak he had a quadruple bypass at the age of 46, he died at 58, not saying it was because of the marathon running but it wouldnt surprise me in the least.

Just because someone is fit, it does not mean they are healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rom wrote: »
    There was a lot less medical problems and people died from stuff that is today curable.
    And bipolar people were locked away into the mental homes for the rest of their lives. Many men didn't talk about health problems and rarely went to their GP, even if they were pissing blood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rom wrote: »
    Remember talk to my father that back in the day he got up at 4 in the morning and cycled from Cork to Dublin for the all-Ireland and cycled back the next day. No fancy bikes in those days and it was no big deal as loads of people did it. People are soft today. Back in the day when agriculture was the dominant sector in Ireland people trained more than they did today and did a day's hard work also. There was a lot less medical problems and people died from stuff that is today curable.

Was also common for people to walk with cattle from the likes of Kerry to Wexford, Kilkenny etc to sell them. Took them days to walk with the cows but sure people did it.

I'd agree people are abit soft these days,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Cabaal wrote: »
    Was also common for people to walk with cattle from the likes of Kerry to Wexford, Kilkenny etc to sell them. Took them days to walk with the cows but sure people did it.

I'd agree people are abit soft these days,

How many of them lived past 80 to tell the story ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

People are soft these days because they pay too much attention to studies that have little relevance to their own situation or circumstances.
    People read what they want to read into specific reports and base their own opinion on what others choose to publish.
    People are in effect too wrapped up on what's (perceived) to be right or wrong they often overlook the obvious.
    If you want to run a marathon, then train for and run a marathon, paying appropriate attention to your own abilities or limitations, don't do so or not do so because some paper you read tells you to (or not...whatever).
    Same with that HIT stuff.. that's where it's at?
    Seriously, it's not.
    That's where some reports, citing some evidence is telling you "it is at", to limit and settle on one opinion or mindset is a bit silly, there is so much conflicting reports the sensible option is to not do anything and become morbidly obese, but at least you won't die doing a marathon.
    FFS, there's bigger stuff out there than reading studies and basing your activities around them, life is short, be sensible and be balanced, in terms of what to eat, how you exercise and how you deal with other life stuff, it's about balance.
    Anything else is doing you the worst disservice on many levels.
    Run fast, run slow, run long or run short, lift heavy objects and put them back down again, repeat, ultimately it matters very little so long as you are doing something that improve fitness and reduces your chance of well documented and well proven life threatening illnesses / conditions, anything beyond that is to satisfy your inner cravings to be faster, stronger, whatever.
    To not do something because there may be a slight chance of a minor risk of something potentially going wrong isn't in my opinion (and that's not is any study) a rewarding way to live a life.
    (Sorry, bad day at the office -this mini-rant is my balance):o

On the subject of people walking to markets, out of necessity, now we're spoiled getting to drive everywhere. That's what has changed, we now don't want to do what people needed to do many years ago, underneath we're pretty much the same, but nowadays the preferred option for a sizeable chunk of us is to take the easier option and not walk / cycle or run as part of our normal day, we segment and compartmentalise it into a lifestyle choice or allocate specific time to it, instead of it forming a core part of our day, it's an appendage.
    To be fair I'm sure many of those you did make the physical effort many years ago would have envied the alternative, but I'm beginning to think we've lost a bit of our selves through modernity.
    I keep thinking of that movie Wall-e where everything is automated and people are unable to do anything, I actually see that as a potential problem, and I attribute some of it to ill-founded, poorly-reproduced, populist and propagandised articles recycled en-mass to convince that exercise a is better/worse than exercise b,c,d for no other reason than to herd us sheep like into the next big marketable buzz.
    Cross-fit anyone?
    :mad:
    (Really bad day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

in b4 the
    TL;DR
    (spending too much time in after hours) :rolleyes:

Advertisement