Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else not notice or care about the recession?

Options
  • 23-04-2012 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

rollcall, anyone else not buy a ridiculously priced house in the boom years, and still have a job?

the IT sector hasnt been hit, so there must quite a few techies here on boards?

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn, and Im thinking jesus get over it!

Anyone? Beuller?

This whole recession business is really getting old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Mmmm yes and no.

I never bought a house and I've got a decent job that pays well.. USC and inflation are the only ways it affects me. Also there is no nightlife in the country anymore (not that I give a crap)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not really. I have no debts and a bit of money for luxuries. Then again, I've no car, kids or mortgage. I'm in cloud computing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

What recession? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Been enjoying life like it never happened thankfully! Work in IT and there's still tons of jobs out there.

Really feel for some people who are finding it tough though. Some..definitely not all!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've no debt, mortgage or punk-ass kids and I'm living well within my means.............though I have plastic bags and string as shoes :(

IT sector here in the west has only recently began growing again after having a bit of a stall. Was hard as fùck to secure a job in my profession, especially if you weren't a programmer / developer.

As it went when applying: Job requires lots of experience, require job for lots of experience :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

No mortgage or kids so don't feel the pinch personally.
    Been working away throughout the recession. Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I’m still employed and I didn’t buy a ridiculously priced house either but I did buy one. The fact that some of my family, my friends and my neighbours are having a really hard time makes me reflect on how lucky I am. I haven’t anything to get over!!

There but for the grace of God, go I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I did buy a poxy fucking apartment in 2005 but nearly have it paid off now as i have been lucratively employed throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Politicians probably do not notice or care about the recession.
    For them, the party still goes on with their massive wages, expenses and gold plated pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I did buy a poxy fucking apartment in 2005 but nearly have it paid off now as i have been lucratively employed throughout.

WOW in only 7 years??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Wake me up when it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

anhedonia wrote: »
    rollcall, anyone else not buy a ridiculously priced house in the boom years, and still have a job?

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn, and Im thinking jesus get over it!

Anyone? Beuller?

Reminds me of cancer.

I don't suffer from it personally, so I wish that those people boring people who do would just get over it.

I bought an apartment in the height of the boom, luckily I had bought and sold another property and the profit went straight into the new place so I didn't have such a big mortgage. I still owe a whole hell of a lot more than it's worth though! But I've been lucky enough to have a good job that I'm unlikely to lose any time soon (never say never). I am comfortable, I live in a nice house (rented) and I can pretty much afford to go out any time I want. I wish I could sell the apartment and buy a house, but I can't, so I'm not going to bother worrying about it as long as I can afford the mortgage.

I'm incredibly lucky to be able to say that so far, I haven't been overly affected by the recession. But I'm fully aware of the fact that there are many many others who are not so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Anyone? Beuller?

I see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

the recession is mentioned in nearly every thread I read, yawn,

So the best thing to do is start a thread about it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

HURR HURR HURR I SAW IT COMING AND RENTED IN THE BOOM HURR HURR HURR

HARK AT ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've just been told By my employers that I am going to be replaced by an inanimate carbon rod :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

davet82 wrote: »
    So the best thing to do is start a thread about it :confused:

Ha ha i had a good laugh

We bought a resonable price house' spent a few years making it a home when we had money' both of us are not in great jobs'but i lost my job end of feb and my stamps still prety much cover all my bills with the wifes job' im going for my 2nd interview for a job tomorrow so hopfully ill get it. So woopy doody doo to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Anyone? Beuller?

But you have just done it :/

ah fvck it

I'm off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anyone? Beuller?

I would have thought with a username like anhedonia that you wouldn't care either way about something like a recession ?

Also....techies on a webforum ???? F**K OFF no way !??!!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Reminds me of cancer.

I don't suffer from it personally, so I wish that those people boring people who do would just get over it.

Are most news stories and message board threads cancer-related ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

I would have thought with a username like anhedonia that you wouldn't care either way about something like a recession ?

Na I can still feel boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Anyone? Beuller?

Not easy to do when you struggle to feed yourself for the week...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Anyone? Beuller?

Come on, Irish people need *something* to whine impotently about and the whole 800 years thing is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    So it's the recession for now.

We'll move onto something else eventually, my guess will be something to do with those damn robosapians....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i didnt buy in the boom ( am only 25) but never took out any stupid HP car loans or loans for holidays so have zero debts.

I work in IT so still have a job that pays well, and i live in ballsbridge HARR HARR HARR ...

im ashamed of my smugness :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Sure the staff of Peats and Game notice (to name a recent two).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So you started another one.....yawn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Reminds me of cancer.

I know, the selfish bastards... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Anyone? Beuller?

I have noticed it. Mainly because I now work in England due to the economy being rubbish in my native homeland of Ireland. It's unfair that these stupid treads start to point how better people are than others in dire straits (my sister for one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Me and partner never took out loans. We both still have good jobs and we've no kids so we're sitting pretty. The recession is actually good for us, now we can afford a house in a nice area when we do decide to buy. So yeah the recession has it's silver lining in some ways.

Advertisement