Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I read the first two paragraphs the first time. They were fair points; they just don't apply to some of your posts.

Says you but alas given the lack of examples, arguments, and back up to the claim, it is just a claim. As I said I have been as sensitive as I feel is required and possible while still staying true to the fact that this is a debate where we need to be clear on the differences between the facts of the matter, the myths, and the emotions that sometimes produce or fuel those myths.

If I see false information being perpetuated in the debate then I will point this out and will likely not apologize for doing so. It needs to be done given the willingness some people have for spreading false facts in this debate and the quite devious ways in which they find to do it.

The alternative does not bear thinking about which is to simply let anyone with a sufficiently moving personal anecdote to influence the discussion unhindered with false information solely because we have become a slave to propriety and have been cajoled into silence. Quite often in fact on forums such as this we can not even know if the anecdote is true or if someone with an unmovable opinion on a subject has merely made it up to support an otherwise unsupportable case, solely because they know any disagreement with their anecdote will meet with calls of derision from other posters.

So again: Yes we have to be sensitive on such issues as this, but never at the expense of being clear on what the actual facts and arguments are on the issue and what are the myths, lies and tricks.
    I wasn't "shouting":)

Nor did I say you were? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

So again: Yes we have to be sensitive on such issues as this, but never at the expense of being clear on what the actual facts and arguments are on the issue and what are the myths, lies and tricks.

Sensitivity, and "being clear on what the actual fact and arguments are", (as you have humbly assigned your contributions as being), can easily co-exist.

Example:
    Saying something like, "I'm sorry for your loss, but....." or "While i have sympathy for you, this is a non-sequitor..." is not really being sensitive to me.
    What would be sensitive is to express your sympathy in a single sentence or paragraph, then go to make your point separately.

A small point, but a big one for someone who is maybe emotionally involved.

Saying something like, "I'm sorry for your loss, but....." or "While i have sympathy for you, this is a non-sequitor..." is not really being sensitive to me.

Then we have a mere difference of opinion because I think it is. I do not really feel that the mere separation of a sentence in to two or into separate paragraphs adds anything of note.

So while I appreciate the opinion and the one or two others I am not sure I feel compelled to change my ways based upon that and that alone. Though I certainly would be keen to read any studies or articles on the subject should any show that an opinion someone massively disagrees with becomes more palatable to them in proportion to the number of sentence, line and paragraph breaks used in it's formation. Let alone the affect of same on those that have, for whatever reason, chosen to get offended vicariously on behalf of someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    . Not all people who are pro life are catholic fundamentalists though.

The ones who are anti abortion are though. The ones who would picket clinics are all mentalist catholics or closet nazis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bambi wrote: »
    The ones who are anti abortion are though. The ones who would picket clinics are all mentalist catholics or closet nazis

Eh no.....I know plenty of people who are religious but pro choice, I also know some decent people who are very religious, prolife but have nothing but compassion. In fact after my abortion two of the people who were there for me at my lowest point were very devout Catholics who would be part of the pro-life movement.

Ironically the most hurtful people in my life, the ones who threw around words like slut, whore etc were ones who have never gone near a church of any denomination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No, this is incorrect. I am anti-abortion. I am not a practicing catholic and I do not believe in a lot of the teachings of the catholic church. Assigning "demented catholic fundamentalist" label to all those who support the rights of the unborn may be tempting, but it is inaccurate. It may make it easier to completely disregard someone's argument and denounce their opinions if they fit snugly into a little "closet nazi" or "bible basher" box that you can just put up on the shelf and say, "oh don't mind them, they are just brainwashed, evil biggots" but the reality is that a lot of people that do not agree with abortion are not necessarily practicing catholics (Indeed I would go so far as to say this would be a little odd given the catholic church's treatment of children and handling of abuse cases)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hm. I'm pro-life which by logical implication means anti-abortion, and opposed to euthanasia as an alternative to pallative care, the defence of the human right to life amongst other things. It's a much broader position than on the abortion issue.

I feel it just makes a whole lot more sense than the pro-choice position makes both in respect to what the unborn child is, and also in respect to being consistent between how we treat humans in-utero and ex-utero.

There's no need to get overly emotive about the issue, all we need to do is try and post with respect, and as usual it depends on how willing people are to do this. If not, then it becomes a grandiose waste of time for all parties involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Are there many (any)pickets on abortion clinics in the UK or europe? I would think not.

The argument that we shouldnt have abortion because there's a lot of rabid scumbags out there in the wacky world of catholic fundamentalism doesn't really stand up. That's why we give the gardai batons.
    I never made that argument. I clearly said that I am pro-choice, think that abortion should be available and would never judge a woman for having one. I was saying that politicians don't have the balls to legalise abortion because they don't want to have to be the ones to deal with the initial aftermath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Just listening to Newstalk there, a guy talking about genetics and the engineering of genetics so flippantly said in America rates of Down Syndrome are down significantly as a result of women who are pregnant getting screenings and terminating the pregnancy when discovering the baby has Down Syndrome. Disgusted I was by this. People with Down Syndrome are people too and their lives are no less meaningful than yours or mine, why on earth do people think it's ok to kill a living person just because they have Down Syndrome? Something about this leads me to think that people who are normally anti-abortion would be pro-abortion in such cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Something about this leads me to think that people who are normally anti-abortion would be pro-abortion in such cases.
    Why on earth would you think that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

Disgusted I was by this. People with Down Syndrome are people too and their lives are no less meaningful than yours or mine, why on earth do people think it's ok to kill a living person just because they have Down Syndrome?

What sensationalist tripe. They're not executing people when they see they're born with a birth defect, they're testing a clump of cells for genetic issues and acting on a result. If positive for these defects, they destroy the cells which will prevent the pregnancy from going any further. Nobody is getting hurt in the process, however it is preventing what could form to be (there is no guarantee a pregnancy will last) a terribly afflicted child which cannot enjoy a normal life and deprives its parents of one too. There is nothing wrong with scanning for these issues early and acting on the results. Again, they are not living people. Go read a book, learn something about it before making such shallow, sensationalist Joe Duffy reader-esque comments.

I'm completely pro-choice myself and would hope to see the introduction of unconditional abortion within my lifetime, as it is in other developed countries. It has had a remarkably positive effect in these countries also.

It is not for a group of politicians in the Dail, or priests in the Church, to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her own body. It is abhorrent that we would risk the lives of women by forcing them to follow through with pregnancies that have a significant likelihood of killing them as it is, let alone forcing women to deal with an accidental pregnancy that they neither want nor can afford.

When done early it is a completely harmless medical procedure and should be made available to women and couples here to avail of should they choose to do so.

If you believe that "life" is being destroyed in an abortion, then you had better stop masturbating or having sex with contraception as you are equally guilty of ending the chances of reproductive cells creating an actual life when doing so. If you believe that abortion is murder, then miscarriage is manslaughter and it's as simple as that. Both are completely backward, ridiculous points of view and to those that hold them, go read a f**king book. Typical theistic bull****, embracing the discoveries of science when it suits them and flipping it off in equal measure.

Although, the only people I ever see at pro-life marches are old people who really don't know any better, and begrudging parents who are determined to drag other women down with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have worked with people who have had issues many years after the event,
    however, the choice should still be there for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

What sensationalist tripe. They're not executing people when they see they're born with a birth defect, they're testing a clump of cells for genetic issues and acting on a result. If positive for these defects, they destroy the cells which will prevent the pregnancy from going any further.

Why do people believe this? It is not a "clump of cells". A baby is fully formed at 7 weeks. All the organs are functioning which makes it human, so yes a life is being harmed.

Please educate yourself.

What sensationalist tripe. They're not executing people when they see they're born with a birth defect, they're testing a clump of cells for genetic issues and acting on a result.
    If positive for these defects, they destroy the cells which will prevent the pregnancy from going any further.
    "They destroy the cells" = "They kill the child". Please stop dancing around with your words to try and make it sound nice. This isn't a play.
    Nobody is getting hurt in the process, however it is preventing what could form to be (there is no guarantee a pregnancy will last) a terribly afflicted child which cannot enjoy a normal life and deprives its parents of one too.
    Who are you to say what is a "normal life"? That's just downright offensive to all people with Down's syndrome and their parents.
    Again, they are not living people. Go read a book, learn something about it before making such shallow, sensationalist Joe Duffy reader-esque comments.
    I recommend you "read a book" as well and educate yourself as you're seemingly missing a few key concepts. Any introductory book to developmental biology or even general biology ought to be sufficient.
    I'm completely pro-choice myself and would hope to see the introduction of unconditional abortion within my lifetime, as it is in other developed countries. It has had a remarkably positive effect in these countries also.
    I would hope that I never see the introduction of "unconditional abortion" in Ireland. What other supposedly "developed countries" (Love the not-so-subtle and not-so-effective link between 'developed countries' and abortion law) do is none of my concern.
    It is not for a group of politicians in the Dail, or priests in the Church, to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her own body.
    Crossed out a red herring. As for the group of politicians in the Dail, they're the ones responsible for representing the people in debating the laws of the land. As for a woman's own body, it's not just her body but the body of her child as well.
    It is abhorrent that we would risk the lives of women by forcing them to follow through with pregnancies that have a significant likelihood of killing them as it is
    How many times do people have to throw this is in? Few, if any are disagreeing with therapeutic abortion.
    let alone forcing women to deal with an accidental pregnancy that they neither want nor can afford.
    It doesn't really matter a damn what you "want". If you don't "want" your own child, the solution is not to just kill them and be done with it.
    When done early it is a completely harmless medical procedure and should be made available to women and couples here to avail of should they choose to do so.
    You're absolutely clueless if you think that's the case.
    If you believe that "life" is being destroyed in an abortion, then you had better stop masturbating or having sex with contraception as you are equally guilty of ending the chances of reproductive cells creating an actual life when doing so. If you believe that abortion is murder, then miscarriage is manslaughter and it's as simple as that.
    Again, you're showing up how completely clueless you are on the issue. Germ cells are your own cells. They're not a different individual to yourselves.

As for abortion, it's a premeditated choice to kill an individual in the womb. Comparing it to miscarriage in any way is nothing short of ignorant and terrible for the parents who've suffered miscarriages.
    Both are completely backward, ridiculous points of view and to those that hold them, go read a f**king book.
    How odd. The man who seemingly does not understand basic biology telling others that their views are "backward" and "ridiculous" and advising others to "read a f**cking book".
    Typical theistic bull****, embracing the discoveries of science when it suits them and flipping it off in equal measure.
    No one in this thread has mentioned religion in any great capacity. In the future, spare us the red herrings and take your own advice and "go read a f**king book".

You speak as though you're well read on biology, yet you fill your post with emotionally driven bull**** such as calling what amounts to a clump of cells a "child" and referring to terminating a pregnancy as "killing a child". I'm sorry but it's blatantly obvious that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about so I'm not going to engage you on the matter. I have no time nor energy for ignorant people who'll jump at the opportunity to spout emotionally fueled, sensationalistic tripe.

You've several complete and utter failures of logic in your post, presumably your mind is clouded by a: your lack of education on the matter and b: your emotional response to my post, so as opposed to entertaining more of your emotionally driven ignorance, I'll say good day to you, although I'm sure such a person simply will not let this go without trying to get another post full of illogical bs in to "have the last say" on the matter.

You speak as though you're well read on biology, yet you fill your post with emotionally driven bull**** such as calling what amounts to a clump of cells a "child" and referring to terminating a pregnancy as "killing a child".
    It's not "emotionally driven bullshit", it's just accurate and straight to the point.

"Clump of cells" is not a biological term. Child on the other hand is a perfectly accurate biological term.
    I'm sorry but it's blatantly obvious that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about so I'm not going to engage you on the matter. I have no time nor energy for ignorant people who'll jump at the opportunity to spout emotionally fueled, sensationalistic tripe.

You've several complete and utter failures of logic in your post, presumably your mind is clouded by a: your lack of education on the matter and b: your emotional response to my post, so as opposed to entertaining more of your emotionally driven ignorance, I'll say good day to you, although I'm sure such a person simply will not let this go without trying to get another post full of illogical bs in to "have the last say" on the matter.
    Right...

Well, you'll be happy to know i've no interest in debating anything with you. I'd tell you why but there doesn't seem to be much point as the above absolute and utter rubbish has eroded any hope of anything resembling reasonable or intelligent conversation. I have exams after all and don't particularly want to read nonsensical, angry and aggressive posts.

Hint: Other people in this thread didn't precisely share my views. Look at their posts, then look at your post. I don't think there's much for me to say here.

Oh look, my estimations of you were absolutely spot on. What a surprise :rolleyes:

Which is just a lot of human DNA really. I still think any grounding for rights needs a little more than being a lump of cells containing DNA, and equivocation over how differentiated those cells are at each stage is likely not going to get us there. While it clearly should not be left out of the discussion entirely, I think it just a first of many steps.
    On a materialistic sense, yes perhaps you could say it's comprised of a lot of DNA and a few other biomolecules. But in reality you could say that about almost any cell.

It's the entity as a whole that i'm assigning rights to. Not on the basis of its material composition but on the basis of its intrinsic nature. The gastrula stage is for all intents and purposes the first stage where you can definitively say "This is a new human individual". At the blastula and zygote stage that preceded it there still was the possibility of two individuals.

As i've said before, seeing as there is a definite physical "start point" for each human individual and a definite "end point" for each human individual I don't think it makes sense to choose another completely arbitrary start point just because it suits us.

The gastrula stage is for all intents and purposes the first stage where you can definitively say "This is a new human individual". At the blastula and zygote stage that preceded it there still was the possibility of two individuals.

As i've said before, seeing as there is a definite physical "start point" for each human individual and a definite "end point" for each human individual I don't think it makes sense to choose another completely arbitrary start point just because it suits us.

How is it any less arbitrary to pick the stage at which it can't be a multiple birth?

How is it any less arbitrary to pick the stage at which it can't be a multiple birth?
    Simply because at that stage, there aren't any sound arguments that can be made against it being a single individual human organism.

At the blastula stage, there is still a bit of ambiguity. There's potential for the blastula to form one, two or even three or more individuals. At the gastrula stage, there's no such ambiguity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Oh look, my estimations of you were absolutely spot on. What a surprise :rolleyes:

Mod

So you want the last word.

no more flaming/bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

On a materialistic sense, yes perhaps you could say it's comprised of a lot of DNA and a few other biomolecules. But in reality you could say that about almost any cell.

It's the entity as a whole that i'm assigning rights to. Not on the basis of its material composition but on the basis of its intrinsic nature. The gastrula stage is for all intents and purposes the first stage where you can definitively say "This is a new human individual". At the blastula and zygote stage that preceded it there still was the possibility of two individuals.

So based on this timeline what is your view on the morning after pill? after all if a zygote is formed surely this is then preventing human life too....?

cbyrd wrote: »
    So based on this timeline what is your view on the morning after pill? after all if a zygote is formed surely this is then preventing human life too....?
    It depends. There's no surefire way of knowing when fertilisation takes place so it's impossible to put an exact time limit on it. That said, theoretically speaking only up until around fertilisation.

But in reality you could say that about almost any cell.

My point exactly. So if we are to have a conversation about giving Human DNA rights then clearly that conversation has to go further than simply human DNA, differentiated cells, or what the cells potentially might be in the future which they are not now.

Simply arbitrarily selecting a stage in the development and saying "This is a human individual" does not get you there either. Some justification for the choice is required and I am not sure saying "This is the point where we first know it is one developing human and not two" is not quite going to get you there either. You are still talking about a block of barely differentiated cells with Human DNA.

cbyrd wrote: »
    It depends. There's no surefire way of knowing when fertilisation takes place so it's impossible to put an exact time limit on it. That said, theoretically speaking only up until around fertilisation.

Doesn't the MAP prevent fertilisation? Or is it just implantation it prevents?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Doesn't the MAP prevent fertilisation? Or is it just implantation it prevents?

It can prevent ovulation and implantation, if ovulation has already occurred and fertilisation happens then it's method is to prevent implantation.

Medically and legally pregnancy starts at Implantation not fertilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"Clump of cells" is not a biological term. Child on the other hand is a perfectly accurate biological term.

It's not,

"Biologically, a child is anyone between birth and puberty or in the developmental stage of childhood, between infancy and adulthood."
    - Wiki

"a person 6 to 12 years of age. An individual 2 to 5 years old is child, preschool."
    - Biology Online

Sharrow wrote: »
    It can prevent ovulation and implantation, if ovulation has already occurred and fertilisation happens then it's method is to prevent implantation.

Medically and legally pregnancy starts at Implantation not fertilisation.
    So it stops a pregnancy, it doesn't undo one that already exists. Why the problem with it then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

anhedonia wrote: »
    it should be mandatory for those that can't afford to raise them without state aid.

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I am pro-choice, that said, I wouldn't get an abortion. One thing I'm struggling with is this: as soon as conception begins, the idea of a child is created. Being ok with suppressing this idea (to me) is denying that we have a 'spiritual' self or at least that we are not just a body. If we are just a body and nothing else, a woman who's had a mastectomy for instance, is not a woman. But we are more than just a body or a clump of cells. I would definitely struggle with this but I understand that for some people this isn't a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement