Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning fiberglass?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Hope someone can help with this. Just taken the boat out of the water after a winter on the mooring. Gave it a good going over with a power washer but there is still a lot of brown staining on the white fiberglass. Does anyone know what would be the best way to get it off or is it just a case of a hell of lot of elbowgrease? Hoping there is some magical liquid that would get rid of it.

Thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

I've never used it but if your looking for "some magical liquid", try http://www.boatbuddy.net/
    http://www.boatbuddy.net/distributers-of-boat-buddy.aspx

Advertised on done deal
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/3105705

If it works the way it does in the demonstration video then it will certainly save a lot of elbow grease.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi fanadMan like Jack said boatbuddy do some good stuff, you could also look at "starbrite" instant Hull Cleaner you can get it from most marine shops.
    The brown is caused by dirty water getting into the pores of the gelcoat so it helps if you give the hull a coat of wax to seal it up before you put her back in.
    Happy scrubbing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thanks guys........Looks like the elbow is going to need a lot of greasing lol but having something like what you suggested will make it a bit easier.

Again.....thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

The best thing I have found to clean Fiberglass is Oxalic Acid - I buy packets of it for less that £3 on ebay and mix it up to clean the hull. Apply and wash off, minimal scrubbing etc. It is the main ingredient in things like Y10 but if you buy that it costs a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Mr Sheen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Dublin tiger

I used washing up liquid and them rough green pads, then some jif and a damp cloth came up gr8 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Not sure if washing up liquid and jif would get rid of the brown on this......is really ingrained. Got a delivery of Boat Buddy but the stage 1 bottle was half empty - the lid wasn't secure but one phonecall sorted it out - another one on the way (thanks guys :)) Now just have to wait for a wee bit calmer weather - even tho the boat is on dry land, is way too windy up here......or maybe I'm just lazy :D

Thanks again for all the suggestions

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

If you live near a Dairygold Co-Op, call in and get a bottle of Chloras, its cheap (around €15 for a gallon), it worked great for cleaning our boat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I am pretty sure Chloras is a chlorine bleach which is not good for the environment if released into the watercourse. If it is the same as "Red Label" used in farming then be careful not to breath the fumes when mixed with water or it will burn your nasal passages and do not let it come into contact with steel as it will rust it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yes its fairly horrible stuff alright, I used it neat and away from any rivers or lakes!! Did a super job though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement