Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€11.5 million settlement as a result of uninsured driver

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This annoys me.
    Firstly:
    Do judges get a cut of the stupid, silly money they award in this country? They must do, why would they reward tens of thousands for every owie and bubu and millions for more severe injuries? I honestly believe that a zero should be lobbed off of every compensation payment made in this country. It would still be ample.
    Secondly:
    This is the final abandonment of personal responsibility.
    Just go out there and do whatever the fcuk you want. No need to pay attention, it's never your fault and if the worst happens, don't worry, here's a few million to sort you out.

I feel sorry for the child, what was that "momentary lapse of concentration" anyway?
    Phonecall? Texting? Doing the makeup? Brushing the hair?
    Doesn't matter anyway, seems you can do all these things whilst driving without insurance and you'll be grand, no worries, I just don't know why I pay insurance like a sucker.

Next we'll feel sorry for millionaires being thrown out of one of their 21 houses because they thought they didn't have to pay the mortgage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I feel sorry for the child, what was that "momentary lapse of concentration" anyway?
    Phonecall? Texting? Doing the makeup? Brushing the hair?
    Doesn't matter anyway, seems you can do all these things whilst driving without insurance and you'll be grand, no worries,
    Well, while I see where you're coming from, that's not really true. If these injuries were to the driver themselves- they would not have been covered. So you can't really say you will be grand to drive uninsured. You pay so that you are covered yourself

The more I think about this case, the less I think her being uninsured is even relevant.. Especially to the point of hating the woman. It's a tragedy and she has to see the results of her actions through her son everyday.. The settlement has ensured the victim will be provided with care for life.. It won't result in holidays and SUVs like the masses like to believe. The effort on your insurance premiums is negligible since it would have been paid out anyway if she was insured. This is just a joint payment from all premiums in the country instead of premiums in one insurance company.

I used to pay 2,450euro a year on car insurance and am more than happy that some of my contribution went to this family as opposed to the fake whiplash claims happening every day.

So if you're still sitting behind your computer fuming at his judgment, what's the reason? I think she's a plank for driving with no insurance but that's completely besides the point.. The victim go protected by the fund that's meant to protest victims.

RoverJames wrote: »
    She was looking at animals and wasn't watching the road, the car crossed to the other side of the road. If there wasn't a crash but a Garda witnessed such a display would it be dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention? Either way she wasn't driving in a safe manner.
    I think it's called an accident.. The horrific result doesn't have any bearing on the cause. If she got distracted for a moment, it's not dangerous driving.
    I purposely removed the horrific result from the scenario I just gave above. If it's not dangerous driving it's driving without due car and attention.
    If she didn't crash but a guard saw her looking at animals, should she be arrested for driving without due care and attention?

'twas the driving onto the other side of the road rather than looking at animals the Garda would have issue with I would think.

I can't believe we have equal voting rights.
    I can sympathise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I feel sorry for this family.
    I feel angry at the mother for not being insured and not being careful with her baby in the car.
    I think she needs to be punished but I think seeing my child like that every day and knowing I did it would be more suffering and punishment then any jail term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

langdang wrote: »
    To put a human face on things

cullen-kennedy-cou_1044001t.jpg

Good luck to the lad,was glad to hear from a previous poster that he was able to talk to the judge and all that.
    Mammy's low-cut top looks quite the part for a court hearing:rolleyes:
    Guess I have to ask the obvious question that no-one else has asked; Would ya?

....... Would ya?

She looks gorgeous tbh but this isn't after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The RTE reporter said the child brought animals to her attention or something like that, so she was looking at animals presumably.

Publicly blaming her own kid. Classy. He wasn't the one driving. He wasn't the one with the responsibility to ensure children in the car were properly restrained. He wasn't the one with the responsibility that insurance and all the other legal requirements of driving were in place. He wasn't the one with the responsibility to keep their attention on the road no matter what. But shure'n'all it was only an accident, she never meant it to happen, and when she had the chance to keep her bloody mouth shut she chose to publicly blame her own child for his horrible misfortune.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

My sympathies go to everyone involved in this case. Personally I am glad that this little boy will be cared for, for the rest of his live. Let's be fair he will not have the life he deserved. No amount of money will compensate him for what he has and will miss out on. I hope that he and his mother will be happy. No mother goes out to intentionally hurt her child. Ok she wasn't insured - but to be fair we don't know her situation - desperate time desperate measures etc. I'm not by any means saying she's not to blame I am sure she wakes up every morning and looks at her son and what she has done. No punishment in court will punish her more than she will punish herself. The money awarded in court is not for her but for her son and his care. I am saddened by some of the comments in this thread. I doubt she will be living the high life and am certain her son won't. claims are settled in courts daily and people who neither need or deserve money get it. This little boy through no fault of his own has had his life turned upside down and deserves to have as good as quality of life as is possible, I hope he does. I have no feelings either way about his mother, I presume like every other mother, above all she loves her son. I hope that they both find peace. 11 million is alot of money, but not a lottery win for this family, I'm sure they would both swop it for life before the accident. I certainly wouldn't swop my life for theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

amtaxi wrote: »
    Ok she wasn't insured - but to be fair we don't know her situation - desperate time desperate measures etc.

If you can't afford insurance, you shouldn't be driving. There's no excuse for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

If you can't afford insurance, you shouldn't be driving. There's no excuse for it
    Yes I agree. I would never drive uninsured. But at the same time I don't know this woman and her situation and I feel that regardless of her wrong doing that some of the comments on this thread are unfair. As I siad I'm sure her daily life is punishment for her, regardless of that her son did not deserve what happened and I personally am glad that he will be cared for as long as he lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

very sad about the innocent child in this debacle but are they seriously taking the piss!!! they do not need that kind of money for the child!! there are plenty of parents out there are losing their SNAs and carer's allowance and all they did was have the heart break of having their child born with a disability. this is really unbelievable

why do the rest of us bother to pay insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

She looks gorgeous tbh but this isn't after hours.
    this guy is so right....hahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Will the child not get the money until his 18 ?

***Edit** already been answered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I felt sick after hearing this on the news today. I'm sure she's delighted with her £11.5m settlement. I certainly feel sorry for the kid involved having her as a mother. :mad: How can she be awarded that amount when she wasn't even insured in the first place?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0420/largest-settlement-ever-in-high-court-11-5m.html#video

The more I read of this in the media, the more i'm annoyed by the glossing over of the fact that she was un-insured. It's mentioned as a "by the way".

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Tramp. When I was last getting an insurance review I asked why is the premium so high given my 5 years NCB? Well the insurance co rep explained its because of all the uninsured drivers.

Fcuk her. Dirty tramp

There's no need for that surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a motoring term
    Anti-tramp bar kit

Life ain't always empty.

uberalles wrote: »
    Tramp. When I was last getting an insurance review I asked why is the premium so high given my 5 years NCB? Well the insurance co rep explained its because of all the uninsured drivers.

Fcuk her. Dirty tramp

100% agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

el diablo wrote: »
    I felt sick after hearing this on the news today. I'm sure she's delighted with her £11.5m settlement. I certainly feel sorry for the kid involved having her as a mother. :mad: How can she be awarded that amount when she wasn't even insured in the first place?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Absolutely tragic case, but what exactly do people want? A prison sentence for the mother? Would that really do any good for anybody?

Whatever your opinion of the mother (and personally I think posing for a picture outside the court was in seriously bad taste) she will still be the principle care giver for this boy for the rest of his life, so what difference would a criminal record or even some time in prison do for anybody apart from causing additional stress to the poor boy along with costing the tax payer even more money.

The award was for the boy not the mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is the mother on the right? It looks like she has already spent some of her winnings...erm I mean insurance money on cosmetic surgery.

:rolleyes:

Very insightful post. Keep on postin'. :rolleyes:

Of course she's going to benefit massively from the payout. She's quite clearly not fit to be a mother to this poor kid.

el diablo wrote: »
    Of course she's going to benefit massively from the payout. She's quite clearly not fit to be a mother to this poor kid.
    Just curious. What do you think should happen to the mother?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just curious. What do you think should happen to the mother?

1. Driving license taken away for a period of 10 years.
    2. Prosecuted for driving dangerously. What is the story with the other party, the people In the other car she ran into?
    3. Some form of community service if prison time ruled out.
    4. Her parents should be made legal guardians of the child as she seems incapable of being responsible.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    2. Prosecuted for driving dangerously. What is the story with the other party, the people In the other car she ran into?
    4. Her parents should be made legal guardians of the child as she seems incapable of being responsible.

Won't change much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It shows that there's consequences for actions such as driving uninsured

You think she should go unpunished?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Bullseye1 wrote: »

The only evidence we currently have of wrong doing is driving without insurance. Do you think any mother or farther driving without insurance and no evidence of any further crime should be punished as you have set out.

Advertisement