Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shots fired from assault rifle at veteran republican's funeral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

We haven't seen an armalite in a long time.

Don't see anything wrong with giving someone a proper send off - other things that may be done with the gun are another matter entirely.

Apart from the fact that it is very much illegal and very much a danger to the general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

bwatson wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that it is very much illegal and very much a danger to the general public?

Its done in many countries, the Americans do it for sure. I don't know of anyone who has been injured by a funeral salute in Ireland. The biggest danger is PSNI harassment after funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its done in many countries, the Americans do it for sure. I don't know of anyone who has been injured by a funeral salute in Ireland. The biggest danger is PSNI harassment after funerals.
    The PSNI have a job to do. It is not the fault of the PSNI that these guys still think the conflict is going. They need to realise it ended years ago.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The PSNI have a job to do. It is not the fault of the PSNI that these guys still think the conflict is going. They need to realise it ended years ago.

I don't think a military funerals should happen only during a conflict. If that's how his family wanted him to go then that's how it should happen. I understand that the PSNI are just following orders but arrests after funerals and Easter commemorations is out of order and pushes away and notion of normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I don't think a military funerals should happen only during a conflict. If that's how his family wanted him to go then that's how it should happen. I understand that the PSNI are just following orders but arrests after funerals and Easter commemorations is out of order and pushes away and notion of normality.
    Then don't be threatening the life of PSNI officers and firing bullets over a coffin. People just seem to think the PSNI wake up one day and decide to go arrest these people. No, they get arrested for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

The deceased supported the peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Yes, many nations I take it that you are trolling at this stage?

Or do you seriously not understand the difference between an armed force authorized by a sovereign state to uphold the monopoly on violence within said state through the use of weapons and lethal force... and a group of men in balaclavas who illegally obtain, illegally possess and illegally fire assault rifles?

Or do you seriously not understand the difference between an armed force authorized by a sovereign state to uphold the monopoly on violence within said state through the use of weapons and lethal force... and a group of men in balaclavas who illegally obtain, illegally possess and illegally fire assault rifles?

The question was about the how dangerous the volley of shots is. What uniform they wear has no bearing on this.

Dubhlinner, I don't think this has been reported at all?

527631_315359248545268_556026672_n.jpg

Brian McFaddens funeral the other day

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

The question was about the how dangerous the volley of shots is. What uniform they wear has no bearing on this.

Wonder what sort of weapons training they have done, handling of weapons by untrained people can be very dangerous indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

junder wrote: »
    Wonder what sort of weapons training they have done, handling of weapons by untrained people can be very dangerous indeed

I'm sure they have done the Health & Safety course:rolleyes:

NIMAN wrote: »

I'm sure they have done the Health & Safety course:rolleyes:

Do you know how to handle a weapon safely?

I dare say they knew what they were doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Guns have no place at a funeral, whether it be Republican or Loyalist. If this was a Loyalist funeral I'd imagine the Republican posters here would raise a storm in relation to the PSNI doing nothing.

I dare say they knew what they were doing...

I would question that, since as a professional soldier I am required to regular training and pass regular weapon handling tests on every weapon I would use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Point the end that the bullet comes out, away from yourself??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

robbie7730 wrote: »

And preferably not at anyone else. The chap with the AK appears to be cocking his weapon whilst pointing it at the upstairs window of a local house/block of flats - and they don't have to be that local - within a few hundred yards will do.

robbie7730 wrote: »

That's the easy part, the question is we're go you point the end were the bullet comes out in a safe manner. Don't see any range staff directing proceedings, how do we know the weapons are being carried in a correct and safe manner, what's to stop a negative discharge. Negative discharges or ND's can carry a criminal sentence in the army

The Brits with all their training could not be trusted with guns when they were here so training isn't the issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's the easy part, the question is we're go you point the end were the bullet comes out in a safe manner. Don't see any range staff directing proceedings, how do we know the weapons are being carried in a correct and safe manner, what's to stop a negative discharge. Negative discharges or ND's can carry a criminal sentence in the army

'negligent discharge'.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »

'negligent discharge'.
    That's apple auto spell for you

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

KeithAFC wrote: »

"Generations will continue to meet the same fate unless the perennial oppressor britain is removed, for she will unashamedly and mercilessly continue to maintain her occupation and economic exploitation of Ireland to judgement day, if she is not halted and ejected" - bobby sands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

"Generations will continue to meet the same fate unless the perennial oppressor britain is removed, for she will unashamedly and mercilessly continue to maintain her occupation and economic exploitation of Ireland to judgement day, if she is not halted and ejected" - bobby sands

Was he joking when he said that?

whitelines wrote: »
    Was he joking when he said that?

If and when the union breaks down England will struggle to stand alone.

Right now the majority of Northern Irish citizens support the union. It's not an occupation, it's a democratic arrangement. We will never bring unionists anywhere close to the idea of a United Ireland when people still throw this crap around alienating them completely.

It astounds me how people go on and on about an "occupation" when they know the only way this "occupation" will end is through democratic processes and most importantly bringing the Unionists onside, instead of continually pushing them further away with this crap. This type of rhetoric only further prolongs a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

RMD wrote: »
    Right now the majority of Northern Irish citizens support the union. It's not an occupation, it's a democratic arrangement. We will never bring unionists anywhere close to the idea of a United Ireland when people still throw this crap around alienating them completely.

It astounds me how people go on and on about an "occupation" when they know the only way this "occupation" will end is through democratic processes and most importantly bringing the Unionists onside, instead of continually pushing them further away with this crap. This type of rhetoric only further prolongs a United Ireland.

oh you mean like the way the nationalists were for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing odd or underhand about it - people simply are no longer interested in the actions of paramilitaries/criminals etc. The people of the UK no longer see them as significant and that is probably what unsettles them the most!

If we want to look at people firing blindly into the air we all go to al jazeera and the Arab revolutions.

Was there anything illegal with what was done? If so, no way should it be let slip. Discharging a firearm in public is an offence, no? And, factoring in who was discharging it, and this needs investigating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

It's a traditional mark of respect, end of. All armies do the same, even the German aul' dear gets cannons for her birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's a traditional mark of respect, end of. All armies do the same, even the German aul' dear gets cannons for her birthdays.

What army was the shooter representing?

• Advertisement

oh you mean like the way the nationalists were for years?

Yes they were, which lead to the Troubles. But that's not the solution, treat Unionists like Nationalists were treated and an UI will never be achieved. If you want to act in a childish manner you can kiss goodbye your hopes of an UI occurring. It's that simple. You can't justify the present by what happened in the pass, it prevents progress.

Advertisement