Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia Laptop

Options
  • 18-04-2012 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello I've been doing some research on which laptop would be most suitable for my needs, I've been recommended a few but I am still unsure of what else is out there.

Budget: £2,500, £3,000 absolute maximum. For me this is an investment that I hope to carry me through the next four years of my degree!

Intended Use: Student studying 3D Modelling (so I will probably be rendering on it too), some programming, graphic design, web design, and maybe some gaming.

Mobility: I will need to move it from time to time but as long as it fits in a backpack of sorts mobility isn't a huge issue.

OS: As we use Autodesk I will be relying on Windows, however I know that mac can run partitions but have heard these use up a lot of RAM and slow the computer down greatly. This is not ideal as 3DS Max takes up a huge amount of memory anyway. If anyone has anything to say on the matter I would appreciate your views!

Any of your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Autodesk is producing a wide range of software. ACAD isn't very demanding, Revit on the other hand... you'd need an enterprise class graphics card fully supporting all features (although a decent consumer GPU should suffice), nothing you'd find in a "multimedia laptop".

3,000 pounds should buy you a top of the range Dell Precision mobile workstation with all the bells and whistles (Core i7 quad w 8 MB L3 cache, 32 GB RAM Quadro 4000, etc). But you'll pay a high premium for build quality, enterprise class GPU and NBD support. And yes, it will happily do "multimedia" too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

yeah, nothing fancy with AutoCAD except it lists all the variations of Windows 7 except Home which really shortens your list of options with the usual sellers.

If it's Revit (must be to have such big budget) read this Thread.

Regarding your OS question, to run both at same time and revit, you're right, you'll need 32GB RAM.

Stuff to read though,

http://gizmodo.com/5387353/how-to-survive-boot-camp-and-run-win-7-on-a-mac

http://gizmodo.com/5383982/how-to-virtualize-any-os-for-free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Just had a quick look at Dell UK.

The Dell Precision M6600 with a Core i7-2960XM, Nvidia Quadro 4000M (2 GB) and 16 GB RAM costs £2,552 + VAT and delivery. (£2,112 with a Core i7-2860QM, some difference). ;)

Advertisement