Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick American troops at it again

Options
  • 18-04-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/18/us-troops-pose-afghan-body-parts
    US troops pose with body parts of Afghan insurgents in new photos

Top Nato and US officials condemn photographs released to the LA Times by soldier as tense relations with Afghanistan worsen

The photos are likely to stir up more anti-western sentiment in Afghanistan. Photograph: LA Times screenshot

Already tense US and Nato ties with Afghanistan were dealt another blow with photographs appearing in an American newspaper of US soldiers posing with the maimed bodies of dead Afghan insurgents.

Senior US officials and Nato's top commander in the country, US general John Allen, moved quickly to condemn the pictures even before they were published by the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday after receiving the photos from another soldier.

"The actions of the individuals photographed do not represent the policies of International Security Assistance Force or the US army," Allen said in a statement, adding an investigation into the incident was underway.

The appearance on the LA Times website of some of the 18 pictures, taken in 2010, comes at a sensitive time in US-Afghan relations, following release of a video in January that showed four US marines urinating on Afghan insurgent corpses.

Stay classay lads. :rolleyes:

EDIT-damn lack of editing thread title :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I hope those Afghan insurgants don't read the Guardian, or they're gonna be pissed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Zebra3 wrote: »

OMG
    Would they not make it regulation that cameras are banned from these buffoons,the calibre of soldier in the US army is nothing to be proud of.
    It really is the bottom 10% of society that join the marine corp and usually because they see no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Don't worry this is AH. People here are far too mature to make fun of typo's.cough troll bait cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Hasnt this been exposed and been done years ago? Im pretty sure this has happened at least more than twice too. Must be a slow news day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Coming soon to theatres.

Weekend at Abdul's.

"Uproariously hilarious" - Rolling Stone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Soldiers posing with the body parts of their enemys is nothing new , it's been going on for as long as the camera has been around except unlike now , there was no internetz to beam their photos around the world .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The Afghanis will be up in arms about this!!

The soldiers wont have a leg to stand on when should gets to trial!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sappa wrote: »
    OMG
    Would they not make it regulation that cameras are banned from these buffoons,the calibre of soldier in the US army is nothing to be proud of.
    It really is the bottom 10% of society that join the marine corp and usually because they see no other choice.

You're certainly well informed on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Send kids to war and this is what ya get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I dunno, if I was there I'm sure I'd do the same. A token to remember your time there.

You should remember that people have been collecting scalps for centuries. Its all just a part of war.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I dunno, if I was there I'm sure I'd do the same. A token to remember your time there.

You should remember that people have been collecting scalps for centuries. Its all just a part of war.

And you admit to it?

In fairness, that's rather shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would they not make it regulation that cameras are banned from these buffoons,
    It would be better if the core behaviour was dealt with, perhaps by providing some other way to express victory and other emotions. Removing cameras deals with a symptom, not the disease.

Would you suggest child rape is acceptable, provided there are no photos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

frag420 wrote: »
    The Afghanis will be up in arms about this!!

The soldiers wont have a leg to stand on when should gets to trial!!

I like puns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Are we supposed to bring the war to the kids? This is the type of mollycoddling that got us into this mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

There's currently around three million people serving in the U.S defense forces.

It's like saying all Irish are scumbags because of an experience with a group of knackers from Tallaght.

No offence to anyone from Tallaght, just making a point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Sykk wrote: »
    There's currently around three million people serving in the U.S defense forces.

It's like saying all Irish are scumbags because of an experience with a group of knackers from Tallaght.

No offence to anyone from Tallaght, just making a point!

I wonder why you didn't say; 'a group of scum-bags from Fox Rock'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Because he said a 'group of knackers from Tallaght'

He mentioned that 'all Irish are scumbags', so that would include everyone from 'Foxrock'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

OMG

So, every single soldier and marine serving in the US is a buffoon? You come across as a moron with this post. There are a number of soldiers who are a bit tapped, but that doesn't mean all of them are.

Is it nice to be able to read minds? I mean, you do know how to read minds right? Given that you know that the only reason they join is because they have no choice.

You sir, are a genius. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Train them to be killers, send them to war thousands of miles from home and then act horrified that things like this happen. I am in way condoning what they did but I doubt there is a greater stress that can be placed on a person than being sent to war; being shot at, killing and watching your friends die. Is it not to be expected that this stress will lead to behaviour that those of us who have never experienced it will simply not be able to understand? War leads to this kind of thing, the blame should be laid at the feet of the people who declare war rather than the young people sent to fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

mackg wrote: »
    Train them to be killers, send them to war thousands of miles from home and then act horrified that things like this happen. I am in way condoning what they did but I doubt there is a greater stress that can be placed on a person than being sent to war; being shot at, killing and watching your friends die. Is it not to be expected that this stress will lead to behaviour that those of us who have never experienced it will simply not be able to understand? War leads to this kind of thing, the blame should be laid at the feet of the people who declare war rather than the young people sent to fight it.

Not to mention watching IEDs and sucide bombers being used on the indigenous people, journalists and Care/aid workers being kidnapped and killed....not trying to justify their actions but there are atrocities on both sides..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Really?

Its fairly widely accepted (certainly in many books written by commanders in the field following a war) that men in their late teens and early twenties make the best soldiers.

This incident shouldn't be blown massively out of proportion and be used to disrespect the excellent work of the majority of NATO forces out in Afghanistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Because I just so happen to do my degree in IT-Tallaght and I often see some of the worst scum around... However, my Brother in law is from Tallaght and he's one of the nicest people you could meet... Hence my original point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Stay classay lads. :rolleyes:

How can you tell from a body part whether or not someone is Afghan?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Pics or GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Latchy wrote: »
    Soldiers posing with the body parts of their enemys is nothing new , it's been going on for as long as the camera has been around except unlike now , there was no internetz to beam their photos around the world .

Good point, I heard somewhere that in Vietnam the soldiers used to make necklaces from the ears of the Vietcong dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Just need to point out to the apologists here that this is in contravention of the Geneva Convention:
    outrages upon personal dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading treatment...

constitutes a war crime in both international and non-international armed conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Interestingly enough in some of the photos there are Afghan police alongside the US troops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

skelliser wrote: »
    Just need to point out to the apologists here that this is in contravention of the Geneva Convention:

constitutes a war crime in both international and non-international armed conflicts.

A bit pointless - I mean there isn't really much worse you can do to someone than kill them. Why send people to kill or be killed and then expect them to have great respect for their enemy after death? The other side has none either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Train teenagers to be killers and this is what you'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Agreed the minimum joining age for soldiers to join the army should be 65+. No question about that. :cool:

Advertisement