Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I would be putting them in a freezer.
    Eating them 2 or 3 months time, when they will not be a mackerel in sight.

Just a question about tides.
    Say in Cobh the tide comes in 8 in the morning, 8 at night.
    Would it be the same time say in Ballycotton.
    Do times change from time to time.

I am new to mack fishing.
    Fished in Cobh a few weekends no luck. Others no luck either.
    Thinking of going to Bally
    Thgis might help. There may be a few minutes difference in a short bit of coastline.
    http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0064

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Chavways wrote: »
    The fishing competition around Blackhead and Ballyreen in Clare was supposed to have been a disaster this week. Very few fish caught.Not even mackerel.

That trawler was near there last night, I was bodyboarding in Fanore and when.I was leaving I seen a trawler close to the shore.
    It wasn't an angling boat definitely a trawler...

Sad isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Local fishmonger told me that the big trawlers and factory ships are targetting and destroying the mackeral stocks last couple of years. It would be quite shocking if the mackeral migration was stopped but he reckons it is quite possible unless something is done. It seems they keep the big mackeral but pulp the rest for other products.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Birroc wrote: »
    Local fishmonger told me that the big trawlers and factory ships are targetting and destroying the mackeral stocks last couple of years. It would be quite shocking if the mackeral migration was stopped but he reckons it is quite possible unless something is done. It seems they keep the big mackeral but pulp the rest for other products.
    nonse

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Plenty of mackerel in North and west Clare was out 5 times over the last two weeks and got loads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 derm58

not much happening in Salthill last night. a few small mackerel and lots of (too) small pollock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Caught 7 in 5 minutes off Beaganish Island, Valentia. at 4 tonight.

That was enough for tea, I could have caught bucket loads, but that would have been wasteful,

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Was in Ballycotton last night. I counted over 40 fishing there.
    Most like myself catching nothing.
    I just see 3 in one bucket and 3 or 4 in another that is all.
    Very bad

Talking to a few locals, what is being caught, very small in size.
    It is just hit and miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Its very hit and miss all over the country this year. I was out on a charter from rathmullen in donegal last sat, we had loads. The skipper was saying for a week or 2 in july there wee very few being caught. Its all down to the cold summer, the jet stream only moved over us 2 weeks ago, normally that happens in the spring. For most of the summer our winds came from the north, which is why it was so cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Ya agree with you there. Sligo coast very bad all summer. This is coupled with the red tide. Lots being caught recently on the boats but nothing from the shore. Really dissappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 timconny

Anybody catching anything around Slade or Hook Head at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Was at back of Spiddal pier for a few hours yesterday evening high tide at 8.30 pm very windy though caught nothing and only about 5 or 6 mackerel caught in total out of about 10 other fishermen around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Anyone catching in Spiddal or Salthill yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

Was in Dunmore East ( flat rocks ) last Tuesday morning for tide turn 6.45-8.15. Two macks. Nobody else around. Elderly local man living beside rocks told me September is the new August for mackerel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Northclare wrote: »
    That trawler was near there last night, I was bodyboarding in Fanore and when.I was leaving I seen a trawler close to the shore.
    It wasn't an angling boat definitely a trawler...

Sad isn't it

You bodyboard in Fanore aswell? Might see you down there. Its lonely out there being surrounded by loads of surfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I'm catching lots of small Mackeral from cliffs along the Cork coast with a few normal size mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Any macks been taking this year down tramore heading down there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Any macks been taking this year down tramore heading down there soon

I was in Dunmore East a few weeks ago and a local fisherman told me that the boats have had to go out much further to catch them. They reckon the runoff from the land has clouded the water close in so the macks can't see the spratts.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

At Aughris Head (Sligo) yesterday evening. Great weather,high [4.0 M] tide and....... not a bite. This my third unsuccesfull mission in Sligo bay this season - next time I will be fishing from a boat to avoid anymore dissapointment. Does anyone know times/prices of boats going out of Mullough More harbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

wayoutwest wrote: »
    At Aughris Head (Sligo) yesterday evening. Great weather,high [4.0 M] tide and....... not a bite. This my third unsuccesfull mission in Sligo bay this season - next time I will be fishing from a boat to avoid anymore dissapointment. Does anyone know times/prices of boats going out of Mullough More harbour?

http://www.offshore.ie/fishing.htm

niall_b73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Its looking real bad for the macks if anyone catches from shore update please :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

Was in Fanore yesterday eve, plenty fishing, but in 90 mins I only saw 1 lad reel in a few macks, about 5 on 2 lines of feathers.
    Plenty of water there.

On another note its a shame that a small minority I'm sure of anglers leave a mess behind them, plenty of feather packaging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

patspost wrote: »
    Was in Fanore yesterday eve, plenty fishing, but in 90 mins I only saw 1 lad reel in a few macks, about 5 on 2 lines of feathers.
    Plenty of water there.

On another note its a shame that a small minority I'm sure of anglers leave a mess behind them, plenty of feather packaging etc.

Ya, Blackhead is a disgrace with all the rubbish there.There's portable BBQ's, drink cans and loads of feather packaging everywhere.Its pretty disgusting realy.I don't know why the council don't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Any Mackerel in Salthill yet? I was think about going some day soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Wouldn't mind some mackeral to stock my deadbait freezer. If anyone can help it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

patspost wrote: »
    Plenty of water there.

I was there last night for a couple of hours and got 4, worst nights fishing this year.

I'd like to renforce the point that pats post makes about the rubbish and the small minority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

AstraOwner wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind some mackeral to stock my deadbait freezer. If anyone can help it would be great.

This might be of some help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

haybob wrote: »
    I was there last night for a couple of hours and got 4, worst nights fishing this year.

I'd like to renforce the point that pats post makes about the rubbish and the small minority

Is it gone that bad for macs there, I had the freezer full of them in may so have spent the summer chasing pollock since, I was going to go and try for a few pollock there last weekend but drove on, never before seen the place as busy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

dmc17 wrote: »
    This might be of some help :D
    :)
    Unfortunately I'm a long way from the sea.

I know when fishing it's good it's very good. So maybe someone might be able to help me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

AstraOwner wrote: »
    :)
    Unfortunately I'm a long way from the sea.

I know when fishing it's good it's very good. So maybe someone might be able to help me out.

Do you mean bring you to the sea, or bring the sea to you ? icon5.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement