Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU to Cease Being A Retail Operator on Campus

Options
  • 18-04-2012 2:19pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Latest on Derek's blog:

http://ulsupresident.blogspot.com/2012/04/focus-on-representation.html
    Meetings of the Board of ULSU Services Ltd and of ULSU Executive took place and it was agreed that ULSU will cease to be a retail operator at the earliest opportunity. This decision was agreed on the basis that ULSU is not a retail expert at the level required to operate convenience retail services at the capacity to which it has expanded, much larger than the initial shop which was located in the archway between the Student Centre and the Main Building.

The shop in the Student Centre will be run by ULSU until a new tenant has been found. The tenancy with Plassey Campus Centre (University subsidiary with responsibility for retail) has expired and it is not the intention of ULSU to seek to renew it, but rather to focus its efforts on representation and ordinary students' union activities.

Unsure what to think about this at the moment. From a business point of view it might make sense, but from a services point of view I'm not so sure.

EDIT: The An Focal Article -> http://www.anfocal.ie/news/3223/ulsu-spar-shop-to-cease-trading-under-ulsu-services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Not a big surprise here. Hope the shop will stay more or less the same and the people working there will keep their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

As far as I'm concerned that's the agreement with C&S for financial assistance void until we see figures and new terms are agreed.

Edit: I will add, nothing has been made clear on whether the agreement with C&S is even needed anymore. It would have been nice to know that from the blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

are you saying ginge that nobody in c&s had any idea that the SU were negotiating to get rid of their role in the shop

It's possible, and I will be trying to find that out. It wouldn't be the first time the SU made a decision like that though........

David Hartery has written an excellent article on this http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/index.php/opinion/185-shoppriv

It's a pity the likes of himself and Eamonn Horgan didn't do a lot of stuff like that before the elections, if I knew they were such good men I would have given them much more support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Some fallout from the decision from Ruán on Facebook, followed by responses from the current sabbat team.

Both sides make pretty valid points. Privatising the shop seems odd in that it will lose a major revenue stream from the Union, but then again it's hard to know from the outside just how bad things are.

Meeting with people tomorrow to get the full story. Been told it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Meeting with people tomorrow to get the full story. Been told it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Can you pm me the details about the meeting? Would I be able to attend too?

Would love to know how much income the SU would lose with this privatisation. I'm also thinking back at how many times Philip Mudge has said the shop is profitable and if it wasn't profitable than no shop could be. The route of privatisation is either confirming the shop is unprofitable or else it is reducing the income from the shop. Figures would be great here... Would this move open the previously closed shops? Does this matter not need to be voted on via a referendum or general meeting? At least they gave notice this time instead of after the shop was privatised...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

I've been asked by quite a few people what my thoughts are on this move but I haven't commented yet. Fortunately enough, I sat in on a Board of Trustees meeting last week where this was discussed. I'm not going to go into specifics on what was said at the meeting or the terms of the potential deal that is going out for tender, but from both a financial and practical side of things, it makes a lot of sense for the course of action to have been taken. What has been offered to the SU is an extremely strong financial package, should the tender process go as PCC thinks it will.

All will be revealed in due course, but what we can say is somewhat hindered due to the tender process. Derek might be able to give more information, however, I will refrain for obvious reasons.

So we see SU politics closely mirrors government politics.

We have a source of high profit (student shop/off-shore oil) but the people in charge don't have the competence to do it profitably so they sell it off to the highest bidder at a tiny percentage of it's total profitability.

It's refreshing to hear that the SU admit they are too incompetent to run a spar shop profitably but for the general manager and accountant to admit as well it is also far beyond their remit despite every other university in ireland being able to do it is a bit saddening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

for anyone interested, this is the full thread on his FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    So we see SU politics closely mirrors government politics.

We have a source of high profit (student shop/off-shore oil) but the people in charge don't have the competence to do it profitably so they sell it off to the highest bidder at a tiny percentage of it's total profitability.

It's refreshing to hear that the SU admit they are too incompetent to run a spar shop profitably but for the general manager and accountant to admit as well it is also far beyond their remit despite every other university in ireland being able to do it is a bit saddening
    Do you know something I don't?

derek i know a great many things you'll never know

derek i know a great many things you'll never know

And vice versa. I thought you might like to back up your assertion, but I suppose I've had to spell it out for you now.

Intuition isn't one of the great many things you know:rolleyes:

ninty9er wrote: »
    And vice versa. I thought you might like to back up your assertion, but I suppose I've had to spell it out for you now.

about what? accounting? How to run an su into the ground?
    Intuition isn't one of the great many things you know:rolleyes:

TCD/DCU/UCD all run SU shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Maybe if Daly got off boards and stopped trying to inflate his ego with petty personal dealings with anonymous posters/radio DJ's this and all the other **** storms that have emerged this year may not have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Lol, people would complain if he never posted. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Nockz wrote: »

This.

On the topic at hand, I can understand why they decided to get rid of the shop from a business point of view. From a C&S point of view, however, it leaves me slightly worried, as it means we have to re-negotiate the terms of the agreement.

about what? accounting? How to run an su into the ground?

TCD/DCU/UCD all run SU shops.
    UCDSU is close to €2 million in debt because of it (I gather that this is the Union itself as they don't have a trading company)

TCDSU runs a shop on the level which was manageable for ULSU. Were that still the case I imagine there would be reserves to cover the change in trading conditions with ULSU services, instead a decision was taken to
    a) Open a second unit in Dromroe
    b) Move the main operation to a unit 4 times the size of the original
    c) Open a third unit in Cappavilla
    d) Open a fourth unit for ancillary service at the previous site

If it had stopped at (a) then we'd likely be in the same position as TCDSU, having an operation that doesn't need a huge level of management and time.

The Spar on campus at DCU is hugely profitable, but is nothing to do with DCUSU. There are also no competing units within walking distance.

reunion wrote: »
    Can you pm me the details about the meeting? Would I be able to attend too?

I'm just meeting with people in the SU myself today. Nothing to do with a group, just had a chat with some people, and others approached me to come in, so that's what I'm doing, find out things for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Meanwhile, at the ULSU Spar, Ireland's most boring sandwich.... http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/04/18/irelands-most-boring-sandwich/

UCDSU is close to €2 million in debt because of it (I gather that this is the Union itself as they don't have a trading company)

due to mismanagement even you could only aspire to. UCD is a much bigger campus then ul and probably the difficult of running a business was scaled up

TCDSU runs a shop on the level which was manageable for ULSU.

TCDSU runs at least 3 shops - House 5, Goldsmith and JCR
    The Spar on campus at DCU is hugely profitable, but is nothing to do with DCUSU. There are also no competing units within walking distance.

Wrong. There is a spar beside matt weldons, the exact same distance from the the stables to the spar beside the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Nockz wrote: »

The SU president posting as himself and mostly bickering on boards isn't something I would complain about if it were not happening

I'm just meeting with people in the SU myself today. Nothing to do with a group, just had a chat with some people, and others approached me to come in, so that's what I'm doing, find out things for myself.

Why did people approach you personally? surely cs exec would need to be briefed on the matter (if not all clubs and socs due to the agreement made at cs council)? It would make sense to brief both CS exec and the former working group (which has disbanded) at the same time and not over multiple times which is highly wasteful.

Derek, this is due to mismanagement not because the shop is unviable. Wasn't this the purpose of hiring a general manager and a shop manager? Philip Mudge has defended and argued the shop is viable, this seems like a massive U-turn, particularly after the hiring of a shop manager to maximise profit for the students union.

Will any staff jobs be in jeopary due to this change over? Can information be given to the students? unaudited accounts (or audited ones), information about what the deal with PCC would be and so on.
    TCDSU runs a shop on the level which was manageable for ULSU. Were that still the case I imagine there would be reserves to cover the change in trading conditions with ULSU services, instead a decision was taken to
    a) Open a second unit in Dromroe
    b) Move the main operation to a unit 4 times the size of the original
    c) Open a third unit in Cappavilla
    d) Open a fourth unit for ancillary service at the previous site

If it had stopped at (a) then we'd likely be in the same position as TCDSU, having an operation that doesn't need a huge level of management and time.

Have lessons not been learnt from these mistakes and put into handover documents? Or has the SU thrown away past experiences and learnt from previous mistakes and success?

actually how will this decision affect the entertainment officer?

He is currently paid via ULSU services and not via the union.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'd also like to know what will now happen with the fittings in Dromroe and Cappa. Phil said at the UGM (think it was the one at The Stables) that the cost of the fittings in Dromroe had been covered, so will these now be sold off for profit? Or will they be part of the handover deal?

What the deal with the new private owner of the shop having to pay some of hie/her profits to the SU? What will he be getting from the deal
    What is Daly saying about the size been wrong? everyday the shop is packed and hard to move around I would hate to seen it a a quarter of the size

Jester252 wrote: »
    What the deal with the new private owner of the shop having to pay some of hie/her profits to the SU? What will he be getting from the deal
    What is Daly saying about the size been wrong? everyday the shop is packed and hard to move around I would hate to seen it a a quarter of the size

I don't think the size of the main shop alone is the problem, I believe it's that they overstretched the company by opening 3 other outlets on campus, in particular the money black hole that was Cappa. (Open to correction on this)

As for the new owner having to pay profits the SU, I highly doubt this is the case. I thought the SU were simply renting out the unit from PCC, so any new owner would be doing the same. Hopefully they'll keep the current staff.

If you look at the Ruans Facebook status one of the first KOB comments says something along those lines. About the shop size from Dalys post here he list it as one of the reasons that the ULSU could not keep look after the Shop like TCDSU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

tbh I wish I could be surprised these days at the latest crap-storm emitting from ul

very thankful im not around these days

Advertisement