Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700-900 cals a day for Man

Options
  • 16-04-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey I am trying to lose fat and have made a meal plan where i eat loads of healthy food but the thing is When i added up all the calories i was eating i was shocked only 700-800 this well definatly keep me full all day and also I am eating alot of protein to ensure I am not burning muscle every second day i go to gym to a course of weights and then do 15-25 mins of cardio then hit steamroom for 10 mins and go home. The thing is Im 16 years old 6 foot tall and 189 pounds I have always had alot of fat on me but in the same right i have always played rugby and have a decent amount of muscle mass I just want to reach my target of 12 stone and feel good this summer. Early thanks for the help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're ACTUALLY eating 700-900 kcals a day, and aren't just measuring incorrectly, that plan is VERY dangerous and will probably lead to a lot of problems for you.

Please tell me this is your creation and not the work of a "professional"??

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

You're 16, 6ft tall, playing rugby, lifting weights every second day, consuming lots of protein, and feel full all day... yet you are only consuming 700-800 kcals???

I'm almost certain you must be miscalculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

danlen wrote: »
    You're 16, 6ft tall, playing rugby, lifting weights every second day, consuming lots of protein, and feel full all day... yet you are only consuming 700-800 kcals???

I'm almost certain you must be miscalculating.

I agree as I am eating 1,450 kcal and cycling 15km each day and the min I can live on is 1,200 and that's with lots of protein. You must be miscalculating. If not it's very very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How are you calculating, can you give examples. A scales is essential, the portion sizes quoted on packs are usually not fit for toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

If you are male, why would you want to be 12 stone at 6 foot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

mloc wrote: »
    If you are male, why would you want to be 12 stone at 6 foot?

because from an BMI viewpoint it seems a reasonable goal, i guess.

12stone/6foot = BMI of 22.8

Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

BMI isn't a great tool apart from epidemiology uses and as a guide for disease.

Body fat percentage is more useful in healthy people.

You're about 85kg now, and your target is about 76kg - a nine kilo difference. In my opinion (and it is only that) a lean, muscular 80kg would probably be a better bet at your height, particularly if you are playing power sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

mloc wrote: »
    BMI isn't a great tool apart from epidemiology uses and as a guide for disease.

Body fat percentage is more useful in healthy people.

I know that BMI is not the best tool. But then again it's nice, easy, and reasonable.

Body fat is quite hard to measure (in a standard way, anyway).

Therefore I go with BMI plus checking myself in the mirror ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

You're 6ft and you want to be 76kg?? If anything i'd be trying to up your weight, especially as you're playing rugby where extra weight (muscle of course) can make a lot of difference!

OP, i'd focus on building more muscle and getting your weight up. You're 16 aswell so should be getting as much into you as possible as its the golden age for building strength which will stand to you in rugby and your overall well being!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I'm 6'4", 97 kg and have a target of 2,030 calories or so a day. My basic daily maintenance calories should be 2,800 per day. I train 3 days a week and while the weight loss has slowed on the scales I am losing bodyfat and gaining some definition. My BMI thing has been at 21 for the last few months so I ignore it now. My aim is 95kg then I will reassess and might start increasing cals to build muscle if I am lean enough.

I'd say you need to really look at your food intake and calculate it properly based on the actual weight of what you eat.

Start here to figure out your BMR,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50956807&postcount=4
    I ignore exercise calories so that I am gauranteed to be in a calorie deficit even if I slip up. Once you have your basic figure, drop it by 500 cals per day and make sure you split that cals into protein, fat and carbs. Keep carbs around 80-100g/day if you want to burn fat quickly but the diet has to be clean. No sugars or processed rubbish.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AirsoftAndy

This is my Meal Plan
    8:20 Breakfast small Bowl of porridge and a bit of splenda
    11 am Medium sized apple
    1:30 Half chicken breast mixed in with half a container of salad mix
    4:30 6 egg white omelette with slice of ham and a small amount of low cal cheese
    Dinner Half chicken breast mixed in with half a container of salad mix
    before bed 10: 30 small bowl of porridge and a bit of splenda

from what i read this is around 700-900 cals Please leave your feedback of how i can up my calories and still have a successful weight loss. Thank you all for your feed back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This is my Meal Plan
    11 am Medium sized apple
    4:30 6 egg white omelette with slice of ham and a small amount of low cal cheese

from what i read this is around 700-900 cals Please leave your feedback of how i can up my calories and still have a successful weight loss. Thank you all for your feed back.

That doesn't LOOK like a whole awful lot, but you'll need to provide more specific units of measurement than "small bowl", "medium sized", "half a container", "small amount", etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

This is my Meal Plan
    11 am Medium sized apple

What weight is the porridge? What weight is the chicken breast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Why do you want to diet at 16 and that weight?

Get the food into you and continue with weights. I wish I could go back and tell my 16 year old self that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

This is my Meal Plan
    11 am Medium sized apple

Christ, I'm a 5ft 8 female and a size 12. If I ate that in a day I would be ravenous by evening time.
    How is this keeping you full with no carbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Loopy wrote: »
    This is my Meal Plan
    11 am Medium sized apple

Christ, I'm a 5ft 8 female and a size 12. If I ate that in a day I would be ravenous by evening time.
    How is this keeping you full with no carbs?

Carbs aren't required to satisfy hunger. Also porridge and apples are carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

There is barely any protein and fat too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

This is my Meal Plan
    11 am Medium sized apple

Not only is that one of the most unbalanced, and nutritionally unsteady diets I have seen in a long time, it is worrying that a 16-year-old lad is restricting his food by that amount.

Please do something about this before this problem escalates.

see im just looking for advice on how to improve my diet i know im not eating enough good fats and other stuff can someone else advise me on how i can balance my diet. see i've only been on this diet for a week and its worked great so far. Does anyone else have any dieting tips on foods that will help me shed fat fast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A fairly idiot proof way to create a diet:

http://swole.me/

Work out your BMR first, use that site as a reference. To lose weight eat 500Kcals below maintenance. To add weight eat 500Kcal more.

What kind of training are you doing exactly?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Quick one for OP...

Ask yourself one question...Do you let yourself go hungry?

I know you said in your first post, that you were always full, but are you really? You diet seems really light man, I do a bit of training myself and I'm trying to lose weight, but I still eat circa 2,000 cals a day...

Under-eating can be very dangerous...Also do you take any protein shakes/bars or other supplements? What do you drink in a day?

Since my last visit on the forum i have added a extra chicken fillet to my diet to up my calories/protein intake. The Training i do is a mix between weights and cardio.
    Day1 : Chest , Arms , shoulders - Cardio Bike at 7 resistance for half a hour at a steady 70 rpm
    Day2 : Traps lats deltoids lower back - Cardio Bike Bike at 7 resistance for half a hour at a steady 70 rpm and then go for a 10 min brisk walk on the treadmill
    Day3
    : Full legs , abs , chest - Cardio Bike Bike at 7 resistance for half a hour at a steady 70 rpm and then go for a 10 min brisk walk on the treadmill.

These are full workouts with about 5 sets of each muscle
    I am not one of those people who go to gym and take the piss. I take times breaks between my different excersizes and usually have a 10 min break between my weights and cardio.

I've seen Comments saying that 16 is the golden age where i should be trying to build strength I have just turned 16 and have never been lean. so I want to shed a bunch of fat to improve my appearance and then once i reach my goal i will work to slowly bulk in a way that wont add too much extra fat so that i always look my best. thanks for all your help and more tips on weight loss would be appreciated.

Why are you doing this:

Cardio Bike at 7 resistance for half a hour at a steady 70 rpm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

So, after all that has been said, you have just added an extra chicken fillet to your diet?

I honestly cannot believe you are still continuing with your exercise regime and incredibly poor diet after all that has been said.

I'd say this thread is going to end up closing because it might encourage other people to adopt this ridiculous and dangerous diet and exercise.

I am still continuing on this diet and have uped it to 1100 cals.
    Lots have been said on this thread but not many tips on how i can improve this diet. all that has been said is that its dangerous and unhealthy. I dnt see whats wrong with it i have noticed myself trimming out slightly and my strength and endurance has increased alot. I am taking multivitamins and fish oils i just dnt understand whats so bad about my diet.
    And I am doing the Bike for 30 mins at 6 resistance and steady 70 rpm as i have heard off alot of people that steady paced cardio after a workout helps when cutting fat and with recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I am still continuing on this diet and have uped it to 1100 cals.
    Lots have been said on this thread but not many tips on how i can improve this diet. all that has been said is that its dangerous and unhealthy. I dnt see whats wrong with it i have noticed myself trimming out slightly and my strength and endurance has increased alot. I am taking multivitamins and fish oils i just dnt understand whats so bad about my diet.
    And I am doing the Bike for 30 mins at 6 resistance and steady 70 rpm as i have heard off alot of people that steady paced cardio after a workout helps when cutting fat and with recovery.

You've been told to include more fats in your diet...

Things like whole eggs, nuts, seeds, fish, oils are all good sources of fats

Steady state cardio is one of least efficient forms of exercise for fat loss.

If you want to cut fat, look into high intensity cardio such as intervals.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the Tip, Much Appreciated

Advertisement