Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lennon vs McCartney

Options
  • 16-04-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Ok, so I decided to finally ask the question: Who was better, Lennon or McCartney?

While in the Beatles, I feel Lennon was the true leader of the band, as McCartney really was under it all a bassist (an awesome one) with an amazing voice. Lennon obviously also had an incredible voice and was pretty good on guitar as well. So I think from this aspect Lennon was a nose ahead, in my opinion anyway.

However, once they went solo, I think McCartney really took off. He played all the instruments in 'Maybe I'm Amazed' (Guitars, Piano, Organ, Drums, Vocals), and released what I would consider some of the most amazing albums of the 70's in McCartney I & II, Band on the Run and Ram, with Tug of War (oddly my personal favorite) in the early 80's. Lennon on the other hand released two good solo albums early, The 'Lennon/Plastic Ono' one and 'Imagine', but I think it ends there. 'Mind Games', 'Walls and Bridges' and 'Double Fantasy' weren't up to the mark if you ask me, although Double Fantasy had one or two good singles in it.

I know McCartney is often dismissed for writing soppy love songs, but Lennon's sharp wit come arrogance annoyed me too...

But what do you think? Who really was the most creative or musical one?

Who was better, Lennon or McCartney? 23 votes

Paul McCartney
    0%
    John Lennon
    100%
    christebTerrontressRigsbyjonniebgood1arodabombflyswatterdelbertgradydaireb9SkidhidinginthebushGoldenTicketsbeng128thesultanHannibalDr conrad murrayStavro Muellertaylorconor95HolyholeInventive User Namefrogcheese 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think I'd pick Lennon. Overall, I think he was the better songwriter and more creative. Also, I like his post-Beatles stuff more than McCartney's (although George Harrison's solo career is better than both). McCartney has a far better voice though and he is actually one of my favourite vocalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

McCartney was the leader of the Beatles, as Lennon himself agreed. John was rhythm guitar so I dont think he influenced the sound as much as you'd imagine a lead guitar would over a bass. Also Paul was probably better at his instrument than John.

In saying all that I would vote for John, only just. He had more edge, his songs are slightly more to my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

John Lennon
    McCartney's influence gets played down a lot because people want to believe that Lennon was the main man because he was more outspoken and cooler in some respects.

McCartney was more pop and Lennon was more rock. It's easy to tell who wrote what with The Beatles from say 1966 onwards.

In terms of their solo output I do feel that McCartney's was easily the better, Yoko Ono had way too much input on Lennon's material. I'd regard their two best to be Band on the Run and Imagine, i personally would prefer Band on the Run. I agree with the poster above about Harrison though, I think his solo stuff was more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've added a poll just for the hell of it. I think the question could have been phrased a bit more accurately though. What's the criteria for "better". Do you mean better songwriter, better musician, better person or something else entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

John Lennon
    "People will always love John more, because John isn't here" - Yoko Ono

The general view often taken by critics is that Lennon was a better lyricist, but that McCartney had a natural gift for melody, which Lennon ultimately resented. McCartney was also a better musician than Lennon: while both were obviously capable of writing on guitar and piano, McCartney was also an accomplished bassist (Lennon was barely competent) and an above-average drummer, something he took to in the studio from 1968 onwards.

If it wasn't for McCartney, the Beatles would have imploded after Brian Epstein's death. Sure, he initiated a lot of folly, such as the Magical Mystery Tour debacle and the ill-fated Get Back project, but at least he was trying something. After Summer 1967, he was the only one steering them to keep functioning as a group. Without McCartney keeping the ship afloat, we'd have no White Album or - more crucially - no Abbey Road.

Ian MacDonald's seminal tome, Revolution in the Head, is a superb look at the Beatles' output and is particularly good in assessing the two sides to McCartney's writing, best exemplified by his comparing the (in his eyes) indefensible Maxwell's Silver Hammer to the peerless You Never Give Me Your Money and the "big medley" on side two of Abbey Road, which - despite the inclusion of Lennon material - is very much McCartney's baby.

There are effectively two sides to McCartney's writing. The naysayers all pounce on the "song and dance man" or the mawkish sentimentality, while the pro-Macca camp will refer to the musical complexities and peerless melodies (Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Band on the Run, Maybe I'm Amazed). I'm with the latter.
    This awareness of the two facets of his writing is a crucial point, since whenever this debate starts, the anti-McCartney brigade always start referring to the songs that are easy to criticise (Mull of Kintyre and The Frog Chorus are usually top of the list) as some sort of "justification" that Lennon was more talented. This is a cynical attitude to take, and fails to accept that the majority of Lennon's post-Beatles output (the superb Plastic Ono Band and Imagine being the obvious exceptions) was well below par.

I do think there's a lot to be said for Yoko's comment that I quoted at the top. The perception - mentioned earlier - that Lennon is the "cool" Beatle is also a key factor here. You often see people wearing John Lennon t-shirts (usually the famous New York photo) - how many do you ever see wearing Paul McCartney ones?

Recommended reading: Fab - an Intimate Life of Paul McCartney by Howard Sounes

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think together they were a great foil for each other. Though they didn't write together much in the later years, they still had influence on each other and respected, while competing with each other. I do find myself drawn more to Lennons output in the Beatles, 'Happiness is a warm Gun' and 'I am the Walrus' being arguably my two faves. Macca though was phenomenal in so many aspects. His bass sound and licks are to me second to none. For example, 'Dear Prudence' is a fairly average song, add Macca's bass though, and I'm in musical heaven. Even on one of my favourite George tracks, 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps', his bass is just magical.

Solo, Lennon and McCartney had some great moments (Imagine, Plastic Ono Band, Band on the Run, McCartney 1), but again, I'd probably find myself drawn to the Lennon stuff more, though still loving Macca's stuff.

Also, something that bugs me in these things is the criticism of 'the Frog Song'. Give it context people :) It was a song written for children, specifically a childrens cartoon, and its a damn fins childrens song. I absolutely loved it as a kid, and tbh, it still has a place in my heart to this day:) Its not like it was offered as his follow up to Sgt Peppers.

All in all, I'm sitting on the fence. I'm drawn more to Lennons great songs than Macca's, but even on the Lennon stuff, Macca's bass is awesome, and in some cases, making the ordinary into the brilliant!

One thing I'm sure of though, Lennon was defo cooler, while Macca is like an embarrassing dad at times:) but who cares about that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

I do think John Lennon was better showman, but think McCartney did get more credit and is the better known one of the two..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

John Lennon
    My guess is that an awful lot of people calling Lennon the cooler one obviously being pretty blinkered because he was just as capable of writing mawkish pieces of sh¡te as McCartney. Just Like Starting Over and Beautiful Boy being obvious examples and if you listen to the lyrics of Imagine it is such sentimental drivel. Lennon's legacy had the good fortune not to suffer the ignominy of the eighties.

Also, I do think that McCartney has tried to engage actively with his muse and legacy over the years rather than just coast along like the Stones. He's tried to experiment over the years, whether it's with the Fireman albums or even trying to shake it up a bit with having the likes of Nigel Godrich to produce one of his recent albums. How successful these have been is open to debate but I do applaud the effort. And I'm always going to rate McCartney over Lennon purely for Abbey Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

My guess is that an awful lot of people calling Lennon the cooler one obviously being pretty blinkered because he was just as capable of writing mawkish pieces of sh¡te as McCartney. Just Like Starting Over and Beautiful Boy being obvious examples.

I'm guessing you are not a father. It all changes when you become one. All of a sudden, Beautiful Boy may as well be someone dicing onions on your chin! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

John Lennon
    JimiTime wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are not a father. It all changes when you become one. All of a sudden, Beautiful Boy may as well be someone dicing onions on your chin! :)

You guess wrong. I have 2 kids and it's still a crock of poo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Odd question really, a bit like “which is better: dogs or cats!”
    We each will have a favourite but is he actually BETTER? Two VERY different talents which blended wonderfully together and produced excellent work later as individuals.
    I was about seven when The Beatles first emerged and I thought the Sun shone out of the guy, standing by himself, chin raised, knees bending, strumming from the wrist. I was granted special permission to go to see A Hard Day’s Night at the local cinema and Wow! That scene in the baggage car, Lennon alone with an acoustic guitar, admittedly miming but….."he wrote the words; he wrote the music; he plays the guitar; he sings the words….and he’s only a kid!"
    Later, I saw McCartney perform Yesterday live on Sunday Night at the Palladium and I thought “he wrote the words; he wrote the music; he plays the guitar; he sings the words….and he’s only a kid!”

Slightly off topic – apologies – but I’ve seen posts elsewhere asserting that The Beatles weren’t that great(?) Well, have a listen to what they replaced: the female singers in ridiculous evening dresses delivering endless renditions of “I could have dawnced all night” or males in dress suits, Brylcreem and sparkly shoes, limp-wristed, finger-clicking their way through “I could have dawnced all night”. OK, Elvis had created some cracks but we should be eternally grateful to The Beatles for finally ridding us of that dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

John Lennon
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    Odd question really, a bit like “which is better: dogs or cats!”
    We each will have a favourite but is he actually BETTER? Two VERY different talents which blended wonderfully together and produced excellent work later as individuals.[/COLOR

IMO, this is the only logical and fair answer to this thread. Yes, we all have our favourites, but the word "versus" has no (or should not have) a place in the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

John Lennon
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    Odd question really, a bit like “which is better: dogs or cats!
    We each will have a favourite but is he actually BETTER? Two VERY different talents which blended wonderfully together and produced excellent work later as individuals.
    I was about seven when The Beatles first emerged and I thought the Sun shone out of the guy, standing by himself, chin raised, knees bending, strumming from the wrist. I was granted special permission to go to see A Hard Day’s Night at the local cinema and Wow! That scene in the baggage car, Lennon alone with an acoustic guitar, admittedly miming but….."he wrote the words; he wrote the music; he plays the guitar; he sings the words….and he’s only a kid!"
    Later, I saw McCartney perform Yesterday live on Sunday Night at the Palladium and I thought “he wrote the words; he wrote the music; he plays the guitar; he sings the words….and he’s only a kid!”

Slightly off topic – apologies – but I’ve seen posts elsewhere asserting that The Beatles weren’t that great(?) Well, have a listen to what they replaced: the female singers in ridiculous evening dresses delivering endless renditions of “I could have dawnced all night” or males in dress suits, Brylcreem and sparkly shoes, limp-wristed, finger-clicking their way through “I could have dawnced all night”. OK, Elvis had created some cracks but we should be eternally grateful to The Beatles for finally ridding us of that dross.

It's subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

It's subjective.

Well (within the Beatles) while people may like songs which were written by one of them better, it may have been the combination of the two different personalities that drove them to write the songs they did, and therefore it's difficult to look at them as two separate artists and decide who is better. After all, they wrote (nominally anyway) as Lennon-McCartney, not as individuals.

I remember seeing a documentary in which McCartney said that he wrote Penny Lane (I think) as a reply to one of Lennon's songs, trying to imitate/out-do him, and he said the two of them would regularly do that.

oddman2 wrote: »

I remember seeing a documentary in which McCartney said that he wrote Penny Lane (I think) as a reply to one of Lennon's songs, trying to imitate/out-do him, and he said the two of them would regularly do that.

Yeah, I think it was a response to Strawberry Fields Forever. That song was written about Lennon's memories of his childhood while Penny Lane was inspired by McCartney's own childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

John Lennon
    Quoting my original question, "Who really was the most creative or musical one?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

John Lennon
    Quoting my original question, "Who really was the most creative or musical one?"

I'd go for McCartney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I'm not a massive McCartney fan but I do think he is some sort of extra special talent, he's the Beethoven or Motzart of 20th century pop music. As a songwriter. Added to that you have an incredible performer, singer and instrumentalist.

Granted Lennon is probably cooler and has a lot going for him too but I think McCartney is actually THE songwriting talent of the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just to be pedantic, your original question was actually
    Who was better, Lennon or McCartney?
    ;).

John Lennon
    Malice wrote: »
    Just to be pedantic, your original question was actually
    ;).

Yeah but there was a question in that question. Just like questionception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

Suas11 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it was a response to Strawberry Fields Forever. That song was written about Lennon's memories of his childhood while Penny Lane was inspired by McCartney's own childhood.

Yeah, that's the one, makes sense as well as they were released as a double A-side if I recall correctly.

But that's a really difficult thing to quantify, questions don't always have a black-and-white answer, especially when it comes to music and art. I guess in terms of solo output I probably prefer McCartney, but within The Beatles I'd find it almost impossible to separate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Laurence_OC

Harrison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

However, once they went solo, I think McCartney really took off. He played all the instruments in 'Maybe I'm Amazed' (Guitars, Piano, Organ, Drums, Vocals), and released what I would consider some of the most amazing albums of the 70's in McCartney I & II, Band on the Run and Ram, with Tug of War (oddly my personal favorite) in the early 80's. Lennon on the other hand released two good solo albums early, The 'Lennon/Plastic Ono' one and 'Imagine', but I think it ends there. 'Mind Games', 'Walls and Bridges' and 'Double Fantasy' weren't up to the mark if you ask me, although Double Fantasy had one or two good singles in it.

two good albums but what albums.......The john lennon plastic ono band album in particular is quite simply astonishing:eek:

no one and i mean no one has ever or will ever record an album as brutally honest and emotional as that, its in some ways uncomforable to listen to..but my god what a record ..pure genius imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Contemporise dude, its 2012 not 1965, no one cares anymore.

philstar wrote: »
    no one and i mean no one has ever or will ever record an album as brutally honest and emotional as that, its in some ways uncomforable to listen to..but my god what a record ..pure genius imo

Listen to From A Basement On The Hill by Elliott Smith

John Lennon

Well I sure rather listen to the Beatles and their respective solo music than the trash that rules the charts these days.

I was on the bus one day and some guy said to me "Why do you listen to them they're so old"... Just because its old doesn't mean its any less awesome.

The Beatles were the best band of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

Yes they do care. Eventually all music fans go back to the Beatles, Stones and thats a fact.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

Well I sure rather listen to the Beatles and their respective solo music than the trash that rules the charts these days.

I was on the bus one day and some guy said to me "Why do you listen to them they're so old"... Just because its old doesn't mean its any less awesome.

The Beatles were the best band of all time

Ain't that the truth.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

John Lennon
    John Lennon never got to grow old, record songs with frog choruses or marry a woman with one leg. So in that regard we're comparing apples and oranges. I can't help but think that if he had lived, his solo output would've dwindled and like Macca, would be remembered more for what he did years ago. Would he be a bit like Johnny Rotten these days? The curiously edgy/cuddly old man who scared grannies years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

cymbaline wrote: »
    John Lennon never got to grow old,

its the best career move of all..die young and your legend is created

and Lennon had the ultimate tragic death...shot dead in New York city, its if it was meant to be really

there's been a deity around his memory ever since, that has in a way overshadowed mc'cartney

Advertisement