Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the minimum age required to voulonteer?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

The title says it all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

for what service exactly?

most voluntry ambulance services have a cadet youth group that starts at 10 up to 16, then from 16 you can become a senior member. im not sure what the civil defence require or any other type of voluntry group for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The title says it all :)

16 for the adult units in OMAC, but you can still be restricted on the duties that they can bring you on until your 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Civil Defence is 18, no exceptions.
    OMAC is 10 for Cadets, 16 or 17 for seniors and can't do certain duties (e.g. concerts) until you're 18.
    Red Cross have a group from age 5 called Teddybears with absolute basic training (don't panic, plasters, call for help). Think it's the same as OMAC other than that.
    No idea about SJAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

SJA cadets 12-18
    SJA adults 18 upwards

There is a transition for cadets who wish to move up but with Garda vetting, that's proving difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Junkyard Dog

Staying in the same sort of vein lads, would it usually just be younger people volunteering or would you get a mix of both older and younger? I only ask because I'd love to get involved but I'm on the wrong side of 25 these days :D. Would there be many organisations that attract all age groups because to be fair I'd be open to anything. I'm just looking to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Staying in the same sort of vein lads, would it usually just be younger people volunteering or would you get a mix of both older and younger? I only ask because I'd love to get involved but I'm on the wrong side of 25 these days :D. Would there be many organisations that attract all age groups because to be fair I'd be open to anything. I'm just looking to get involved.

Civil Defence has quite a mix, there is no cadet wing so you'll see new members joining at pretty much any age.

OMAC has a good mix too. Generally people start younger and the older members would be more experienced, but not in all cases and even where that's true, it doesn't make a difference. Seniority of qualification/experience only comes into play when it's relevant (e.g. patient treatment etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Richie15 wrote: »
    Civil Defence is 18, no exceptions.
    FYI, that is not an accurate statement.

If you go to the CD website you will see the following
    3. What are the minimum and maximum age limits for membership of Civil Defence ?
    A person joining Civil Defence must be 16 years of age on the date of Enrolment.
    It's quite possible some units may not want under 18s for whatever reason so they may have a no exceptions rule but this is not a country wide rule.

I stand corrected!

I do remember about two years ago, I was thinking of joining and spotted something on the application form about "must be over 18." Could it have been about doing certain duties?

Can't imagine they'd be allowed differentiate between different geographical regions, since equality legislation only allows for exceptions when there's an objective reason for it, and it's not objective to say someone from (for example) Kerry has to be older than someone from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Richie15 wrote: »
    I stand corrected!

I do remember about two years ago, I was thinking of joining and spotted something on the application form about "must be over 18." Could it have been about doing certain duties?

Can't imagine they'd be allowed differentiate between different geographical regions, since equality legislation only allows for exceptions when there's an objective reason for it, and it's not objective to say someone from (for example) Kerry has to be older than someone from Dublin.

If you're under 18 parental consent must be given, that's probably what you saw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement