Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are Unions allowed get away with this?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/workers-1400-claim-for-a-onemile-move-is-thrown-out-3080727.html
    EIGHTY Tesco workers who argued they should get up to €1,400 each for locating to a new store just one mile away have had their claim thrown out.
    The union Mandate went to the Labour Court looking for compensation for its staff at its Ballinasloe store in Co Galway.
    The union claimed "the transferring to the new location has caused disturbances and inconveniences and required increased flexibility and co-operation from employees".
    Staff wanted compensation "as a result of the issues associated with the relocation and contends that the employer has previously paid compensation in situations such as this".
    Tesco moved from its former store on the outskirts of the Co Galway town at Sarsfield Road to a central location at Dunlo in the town centre -- a distance of about one mile.
    As a gesture of goodwill to staff, Tesco had offered a once-off payment of €1,600 to the staff social fund, the Labour Court heard.
    However, this was rejected by Mandate, who instead looked for up to €1,400 per employee.
    Tesco told the Labour Court yesterday "that there was no impact on employees who transferred to the new store". The Labour Court later recommended that the retail giant should increase its payment to the social fund to €2,000.
    No other payment was recommended.
    Mandate official John Carthy said that the claim didn't relate to the distance between the two stores.
    He said it centred on the inconvenience of the move through changing school runs, car-pooling and the need for staff to familiarise themselves with where products go in the new store. Mr Carthy confirmed that a union committee was to consider the ruling on Monday and make a recommendation to staff on whether to accept it or not.
    A spokesman for Tesco said it was waiting for the union to respond.
    - Gordon Deegan

Tesco employ something like 15,000 people in Ireland and Unions think its acceptable to hold them to ransom for something as petty as this. What a joke these unions have become. They have now become the opposite of what they should be doing by putting jobs in danger, not protecting them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Combine Communism with money and you're got unions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The unions in a Bank of Ireland branch managed to get 3,400 per person because the company moved the water fountain during the height of the celtic tiger. Unions chance their arms and sometimes the employer folds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Unions in trying to screw someone shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lucky they have a union or they'd be replaced by FÁS free labour soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He said it centred on the inconvenience of the move through changing school runs, car-pooling and the need for staff to familiarise themselves with where products go in the new store

That there sums up just what a shower of cretins the workers are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mandate official John Carthy said that the claim didn't relate to the distance between the two stores.

He said it centred on the inconvenience of the move through changing school runs, car-pooling and the need for staff to familiarise themselves with where products go in the new store

:eek: You represent shop workers you silly twat, its their job! (that and shop plans are standard).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I fully support the principle idea behind unions (that of a joint amalgamation of people coming together to see their rights too are upheld) but the unions in Ireland are going overboard and totally taking the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

If I've read correctly the Unions have not been allowed to get away with this. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Biggins wrote: »
    I fully support the principle idea behind unions (that of a joint amalgamation of people coming together to see their rights too are upheld) but the unions in Ireland are going overboard and totally taking the piss!

Absolutely agree with this. Unions seem to pick fights about the strangest things, often ignoring big issues and focusing on little ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

If I've read correctly the Unions have not been allowed to get away with this. :confused:

Yes in this instance but its the fact that they are allowed bring such tripe to court is what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

there should be a limit on what can be brought before the labour court.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The problem with unions is that they are run by a bunch of nutjobs out to make a name for themselves and pick arguments over the stupidest of things.

A union will seek to protect terms and conditions, even if it means job losses, when in reality it should be the other way about. They are oblivious to financial realities.

It's about time they were told to cop the fcuk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's Tesco FFS. It's hardly high skilled labour that you can't replace easily. If they want to f*** around and start demanding ridiculous sh*t, just sack them all and rehire. Then you'll see a few coming around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think some of the unions take the piss a bit all right but they do some good as well. Where my brother works the company took €20 a week off the workers wages because they said it was necessary even though management salaries were not touched. The union got this reversed for the workers. Although dont get me started on the Public Sector unions....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Although dont get me started on the Public Sector unions....

In this thread about a non-Public Sector Union, I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned Public Sector Unions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

awec wrote: »
    They are oblivious to financial realities.
    Once the union bosses keep their big salaries, they will continue to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

token101 wrote: »
    It's Tesco FFS. It's hardly high skilled labour that you can't replace easily. If they want to f*** around and start demanding ridiculous sh*t, just sack them all and rehire. Then you'll see a few coming around.
    That would be unfair dismissal though, it's not as easy to "hire and fire" as it might be in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The unions in a Bank of Ireland branch managed to get 3,400 per person because the company moved the water fountain during the height of the celtic tiger.

I can't find anything about this

Have you a link?

IBOA are a very weak union, I can't see them being able to get that money
    Was is SIPTU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Biggins wrote: »

This particular case and ones just like it are the reason unions get such a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

deccurley wrote: »
    In this thread about a non-Public Sector Union, I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned Public Sector Unions :D

Well I hope Ive made your day that I have proved you right:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Greedy workers, the union is only acting on their instigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Don't see much wrong here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

PenguinMan wrote: »
    That would be unfair dismissal though, it's not as easy to "hire and fire" as it might be in America.

Maybe legally, but morally, how would it be unfair? Person holds business to ransom for €1400, business says f*** off and if you don't like it go work elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Thank god I was with LIDL! Couldn't handle Tesco staff!!
    LIDL contract is that you can be moved within 35km of your home store. And unions wont go near the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Unions are what is wrong with the labour force in this country. I'm sick to death of hearing about them and their petty arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Don't see much wrong here tbh.
    So you think they deserved 1,400 e each for moving a mile to a new shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Yes in this instance but its the fact that they are allowed bring such tripe to court is what I meant.

How do you decide that it's tripe if it's not allowed to be brought to court?

I think a large part of the problem is full-time union bureaucrats who have no interests other than the security of their own jobs. They have to try things like this to justify their own salaries to the union members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

Right this is something that really does annoy me.

Workers pay a union to represent them. They then go to the union if they feel they have an issue that cannot be solved without a 3rd party.
    The union official advises on the best course of action but if the workers want to pursue the case the union official has the jump aboard.

Not saying they're perfect but unions take alot of abuse for thier members decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Flancrest wrote: »
    Right this is something that really does annoy me.

Workers pay a union to represent them. They then go to the union if they feel they have an issue that cannot be solved without a 3rd party.
    The union official advises on the best course of action but if the workers want to pursue the case the union official has the jump aboard.

Not saying they're perfect but unions take alot of abuse for thier members decisions

I agree with you, it may seem a frivolous reason to go to the labour court but the union represenatives can only do as the members say.

So when we view the union in this case as merely acting on behalf of the workers much a like a solicitor might also work for a client in a frivolous lawsuit then the issue is not the union but the workers themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Gotta love the unions and the sheer neck they have. They do some good but by and large are absolute chancers.

I'm getting married in a few weeks time and as a private sector worker I get one single day off for this.

Wife to be is public sector and gets a week. Her bridesmaids are also public sector and get a day off! Thats right they get a paid days leave just because they are shagging bridesmaids.

I'm the bloody groom and I am just getting a day off.

Jeremy Clarkson may have been onto something when he said machine gun them..... (union officials that is)

Advertisement