Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature code nursing written assessment 2012

Options
  • 15-04-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

did any one sit the written assessment on saturday the 14th of april 2012??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Emila

Hi, I did 1.30 pm wasn't too bad, finished all 4 sections, though lot of guessing on mats but I just hopping that I did well, I didn't want to leave blank instead :/ I was told on prep day that we should better guess and fill all callum's instead leaving blank..... hopefully I got just enough right for me to qualify :) xxx what about u?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lc7777

hi thanks for reply:)yeah i filled in all answers some were guesses but also didnt want to leave blanks, the first section i didnt like as the questions asking about you work experience as i have no hospital experience:(i hope that doesnt work against you, fingers crossed we did well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Emila

I don't think that would. I've got a lot of experience in nursing home as a HCA and some in the hospital and yet I failed last year last section JS by 2 points, as well my score was on PQ as not as high as other girls who haven't got any experience at all. Of-course if u get some experience is better but they know that lot of people will answer that they have got some or lot of experience in a health care wherries they are not. If u meant to get a place u will believe me, but if u don't get a place there is always next year and after next year if u really want to go for it. I found that PQ was a bit tricky, Verbal Test was OK wasn't too bad, but maths and the job simulations those are crazy ones!!! I saw lot of people didn't get chance to finished and to be honest with u I didn't see anyone from last and this year who did, majority of people hadn't had a time to finished all...!! A lot of candidates same as me and you guessed. Roll on May and wee will see what we have got :/

I've applied for mids, gen, children and gen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carriecotter

Hi, did anyone apply for the interview to the Adelaide&meath hospital ? When will we know if we got picked for an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MzMollz

Hi all, I too sat the exam in Galway. Thank god I had the 9am one...couldnt have stewed all day!! Got on really well (i think) in all sections however only got 27 numerical Qs finished. Confident that those 27 are right but since Ive done the exam cant seem to relax!!! Minds working overtime...roll on may...:)

• Advertisement

thats really good well done:)i think i did ok 2, but now i just worried if i did manage to get a place, i couldnt afford it as i recieved a grant a few years ago for a level 7 course which i did that i didnt pass as i missed exams, i never would of done the course in the first place if i had known then that i was going to become interesested in nursing. young and dumb!!!so now i think i would be screwed if igot a place because yearly fees would be way to much to manage witout a grant!!!!!!!!!

I had studied for diploma in childcare before, received my grant too but hoping everything is ok for my grant this time round as it was my parents that were means tested last time. You should look at studentfinance.ie maybe you could avail of something else. Where you applying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Audidoo

Hi, sat the exam in Cork, afternoon session. Had to stop my hands from shaking the first few minutes... was soo nervous ! Didn't finish maths or the job simulation either, had lots of practice done but nothing prepares you for the time pressure and nerves of the actual day ! Does anyone know what date in May we can see what number we are nationally ranked ?? Fingers crossed ! Thanks.

hi mzmollz, i looked at that website but it seems like a no hoper as it says if you have recieved a 3rd level grant you are eligible for fees and tuition fees and its the tuition feees that are the killer they can reach ten grand a year, i wouldnt mind no grant but the fees would be too much:(very stressful ha!!i applied for athlone phych first choice and trinity phych second then trinity for a few others!!!what bout you??

audioo i dont know what date results are out but i think mid may at some stage alot of people seemed to be there i would say competion is seriously tight:)hopefully u did enough to get your place:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Audidoo

Thanks lc... when we finished the test, the examiner told us we could check online during the first week of May to confirm where we rank nationally. The results & feedback we can get May 18th. Stay positive everyone ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

I sat the 1:30 in cork. Thought it was ok, always hard to tell with apptitude tests. I got all fin in time bar the maths, and I guessed the last few of those, glad to hear that others found the maths tricky too and its not just me :)
    LC7777 and others worried about grants , because all nursing degrees are level 8 if you previously got a grant for a level 7 course you should be fine, but if you got a grant for a level 8 already you prob wouldnt again as far as i know.

I'm applying fo Pyschiatric, Intellectual and General in Waterford, nervous about the results now too.

thanks speckydodge im sure there are ways around all this grant malarky ha well hopefully:)i have applied for phych and id but in athlone and trinity!!!am i right in thinking that those courses arent as popular as midwifery and gen???

lc7777 wrote: »
    thanks speckydodge im sure there are ways around all this grant malarky ha well hopefully:)i have applied for phych and id but in athlone and trinity!!!am i right in thinking that those courses arent as popular as midwifery and gen???

Looking at the points that was required for entry last year Gen is the hardest to get into followed by child, Pysch is the lowest scoring so there may be hope yet :)

I also heard from a few people that despite all the fairness claims, males are slightly favoured with pysch courses due to the nature of the work and low numbers of men in the field, have no idea how true it is tbh.

yeah i would believe men are favoured, well out of all the nursing courses that would be the one i would like, id say its a very difficult job but just seems very interesting, hopefully the points will remain the lowest for it ha:)

yeah i reckon it'll be hard but very rewarding, my worry is that others might see it as the best option for employment which it prob is in my opinion. eeek ha

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dedede

hi i was there at 9 saturday morning i didnt finish the maths as we only got 25 min, there wasnt enough time to finish them. you find out in the middle of may the results on the cao web site. i think i done ok ,but as i didnt finish all the maths and 5 question on the last sheet.im a bit worried. im just glad its over now. did anyone else not finish the maths.does anyone know will it go against me not finishing all the questions.
    thanks

hi dede im not sure what the scoring is like, but i would not worry bout not finishing the questions as im sure not finishing and gettin the ones u did right would be better then doing loads quickly and not doing them properly! i guessed my last few maths one cause time was just bout up! so dont be worried at all u will be fine, what will be will be!!!:)

Dede I missed 9 of d maths...just ran out of time! Crazy hw fast it goes!! From wot I hav been hearing a lot didn't finish!! Lc7777 just saw dis thread maybe d same would apply 2 u?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056366130?page=1#post_78146575

I'm hoping for mids in ul but hav also applied 2 nuig and ucc, den gen in ul, nuig, itt, ait, wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi MzMollz,
    Welcome aboard. Just one thing, text speak is not permitted on this forum. If you haven't had a chance to do so please look at the charter here for this forums do's and don'ts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978393
    Thanks

Pclip2 :)

Your right ic7777, I felt the maths question that I done I got right (I hope). I have applied for pre nursing and have got a place if I don’t get in to nursing ill re apply next year true fetac. I don’t think it will make a difference if you have no experience. As far as I know that you can apply for a grant as long as you’re not Appling for the same level twice. You should e mail the grants office and find out. Good luck to everyone.

• Advertisement

hi mzmollz, thanks 4 tha info!! i only out 3 years so the second chance student wouldnt apply to me just yet!!!it will be 4 years this september that i am out:( thanks a mill 4 your link though:)

Sorry!! Such a pity lc7777, worth a shot I suppose! I think its mad that we can't access information relevant to our own personal circumstances until were practically in the college door! As a mature student you obviously have more sacrifices to make and its a complete lifestyle change...you'd think they would accept the applications for approval sooner.

hi all
    I have applied true cao for general nursing with trinity college could anyone tell me did I need to apply to hospitals myself or does the cao sort it out.i havent heard anything yet.
    Thanks.

dedede wrote: »
    hi all
    I have applied true cao for general nursing with trinity college could anyone tell me did I need to apply to hospitals myself or does the cao sort it out.i havent heard anything yet.
    Thanks.

No think dats down 2 d college once ur in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I checked the search engine with no results. Anyway I am thinking of doing psychiatric nursing in UCC as a Mature student and I see that there will be an aptitude test. However it doesn't state what is actually on the test, nor can I find any test examples on-line.

Does anyone know where one could find past, or example papers?

hi patricde, the test is broken in to 4 sections the first section is kind of like a personal survey asking questions about your likes experiences and work experience etc, the next section is word relationships, for example tree is to branch as arm is to hand that kind of thing, the next one is the maths section there number puzzle things you fill in the missing number of a sequence and the final section is questions where you read a paragraph about student nurse situations and you just tick the answer thats the most likely reaction you would have to the situation give, all sections of the test are just multible choice tick the box answers, not that difficult if you go to publicjobs.ie there is a test familiaristion booklet with a few examples on it!!! i found a good website for the maths and word relation sections was theonlinetestcentre.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 freddieelmo

Does anyone know when the aptitude results for this year are released?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

According to the NCC the PAS will issue results and feedback on the written assessments by Friday 18th of May. If you don't hear back by the 21st May get on to the PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 freddieelmo

Just checking to see if anyone has had any provisional results back yet ?

• Advertisement

I think you'll have to check the publicjobs.ie website on Friday the 18th. I presume we'll get our score from thre test you can then check this against the scores needed to get into your college of choice from previous years.

Advertisement