Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 - Episode 3 **Have Read The Books / Spoilers Included**

Options
  • 15-04-2012 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

3/10.

Might as well make one for you guys.

Making my way through A Clash Of Kings at the moment.

Whats happening in the series, in case anyone needs to know where we are in relation to the series.

1- To Cersei's dismay, Tyrion takes up his post as acting Hand at King's Landing. At Dragonstone, Stannis Baratheon proclaims allegiance to Melisandre's new god and lays public claim to the Iron Throne, revealing Joffrey's bastardy. As this news reaches the capital, the Gold Cloaks slaughter Robert's bastards. Having won three victories, Robb Stark offers the Lannisters peace in exchange for the North's independence, sending Theon to gain Balon Greyjoy's support and Catelyn to seek Renly Baratheon's. Beyond the Wall, the Night's Watch find shelter with the Wildling Craster and his daughter-wives. In Essos, as her people slowly die in the Red Waste, Daenerys sends out riders to look for help.

2- Returning to his home of Pyke after nine years as the Starks' ward, Theon Greyjoy is reunited with his sister Yara and his father Balon, who despises Theon for his Northern ways and intends to win back his crown by force. Cersei rejects Robb Stark's terms and Tyrion exiles Janos Slynt, head of the Gold Cloaks, to the Wall and promotes Bronn to commander of the watch. On the road to the Wall, Arya reveals her true identity to Gendry. North of the Wall, Samwell Tarly is approached by one of Craster's daughters, Gilly, who is pregnant and fears for her unborn child, but Jon is reluctant to help her despite Sam's pleas. In the Red Waste one of the horses returns to Daenerys with the decapitated head of its rider in a pouch, a message from one of her enemies. On Dragonstone, Davos Seaworth recruits the pirate Salladhor Saan to Stannis's side, and Stannis has sex with Melisandre to obtain the son his wife could not give him. Jon discovers that Craster sacrifices his sons to the White Walkers.

Heres a preview to tomorrows episode:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Goddamnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

There's suddenly so much to love about Mondays! They can't come fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Surely this is the episode were we see Renly and possibly
    he gets shadowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nope, but he does have an interesting conversation with his wife.

Great episode, perhaps best this season so far, Brienne is really good - that woman is huge, I know they were using perspective tricks in the shot with her and Catelyn going up the path, worked very well though.

Yeah have to agree they casty Brienne well and worked the caeras even better making her look like a giant next to Cat.

Loved how they handled the trap Tyrion sets for Pycelle/Varys/Littlefinger, thought it was brilliantly done.

• Advertisement

Definitely the best episode so far. My favourite scene was definitely Yoren's fight scene, I know they've changed it, but I think they've worked it really well.

I quite enjoyed Marjaery's character, she's not afraid to say it like it is! I think she'll be an interesting addition!

And there was no annoying Roz! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I also thought they did a good job of scaling down the encounter between Yoren's group and Tywin's soldiers. Really excited to see that storyline progress on screen!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Brienne is well cast although despite the short hair and height/camera work, she's still very pretty! Put on some scars or bruise makeup!

did sansa end up with yer wan as handmaid in the books? completely forgotten that part of things

bluewolf wrote: »
    Brienne is well cast although despite the short hair and height/camera work, she's still very pretty! Put on some scars or bruise makeup!

did sansa end up with yer wan as handmaid in the books? completely forgotten that part of things

Lady Tanda's daughter Lollys ended up with her originally, but I think Sansa had her later on in A storm of swords, after more things happened :)

I honestly don't think Brienne needs scars or bruises, she's perfect! And so awkward when walking. The actress playing her is doing a really great job, I just felt so awkward for Brienne watching her!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

So much for Margery being as "chaste" as she was in the books!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So much for Margery being as "chaste" as she was in the books!!!

I only remember that she was technically that way due to all the unfortunate happenings.... then the book before last was casting doubt

I must go back and re-read these :o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Best episode in the series so far.

I love the fact it starts straight away with Jon and Craster. Straight from off we were set up for a good episode.

Aul Margarey Tyrell is a bit of alright isn't she :)

Brienne is an excellent character. I think the casting is spot on with her.

I'll probably watch the episode again later on tonight on Sky and pick up more from there.

Can't wait for next week already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Margarey Tyrell is going to be quite odd next to Joffery and then later little Tommen. Isnt she supposed to be like 16? any road I enjoyed this episode very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Another great episode. The fight at the end was done very well, even if it was quite gruesome :p

I think they spend far too much time on Shae though; they seem to be making her a lot more important than she needs to be. Although
    I assume it's because of what happens with her and Lord Tywin later on
    . The show definitely seems to want the viewer to be on Tyrion's side seeing how he's pretty much the main character in it, much moreso than I got from the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

The show definitely seems to want the viewer to be on Tyrion's side seeing how he's pretty much the main character in it, much moreso than I got from the books.

I think Tyrion was pretty much the main character in book 2. Less so in any other book.

Anachrony wrote: »
    I think Tyrion was pretty much the main character in book 2. Less so in any other book.

Agreed, Tyrion got a lot of coverage in A Clash of Kings. Plus as he's pretty uch the overwhelming choice as everyones favourite character it makes sense that they've given him decent screentime and cast him in a more favourable light.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Great episode Tyrell and Renly almost took their open relationship to a different level... "shall I ask Loras to get you started:eek:"

When this season is over do we have to wait till next year for the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

May be something to do with Peter Dinklage having top billing after his Emmy award for season one too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

They have Truncated the Arya scenes a lot, what took place in that scene was 4-5 chapters in the book, we better have Weasel or Weasel soup wont make any sense.

Margerry Tyrell is aninteresting character, I had pictured something more Chaste from reading Clash of Kings,however whenyou read ADWD that portrayal seems much more accurate.

that thimble scene with sam and Gilly was totatally new but really set up that relationship perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

One thing I noticed not only last night, but so far in the series.

The are trying to move it along very quickly.

Like last night, I would have had Arya and Gendry getting captured again would happen later on in the series, as I don't think it happened so early in the book.

I'm just looking forward to the battle of the blackwater. :)

I'd say next week we will be back with Robb & Daenarys. And if not :
    I'd imagine Renly is on the way out in the next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can't be far off!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just reading the other thread for people who haven't read the books and
    if they think Arya and Dany's stories are slow now then may the old gods help them in 3 seasons time.

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    They have Truncated the Arya scenes a lot, what took place in that scene was 4-5 chapters in the book, we better have Weasel or Weasel soup wont make any sense.

Ah they'll have to, looking forward to seeing more of Jaqen H´ghar too.
    nicklauski wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to the battle of the blackwater. :)

I'd say next week we will be back with Robb & Daenarys. And if not :
    I'd imagine Renly is on the way out in the next episode

I think I read somehwere that they're going to be dedication a hole episode to the Blackwater, would have to imagine that'll be episode 9.

Regarding your spoiler, I still can't believe that's not happened yet! I'd predicted episode 2, maybe episode 3 at the most before that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Frisbee wrote: »
    Regarding your spoiler, I still can't believe that's not happened yet! I'd predicted episode 2, maybe episode 3 at the most before that happened.

Can't wait to see Loras' reaction. Also I wonder just how graphic they'll get with the birthing scene. Not sure I'd like to see a CGI shadow baby birth though.

Something like the below though could be interesting
    melisandre_by_aniaem-d4bwfrw.jpg

^^^ That picture is pretty amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

5starpool wrote: »
    Just reading the other thread for people who haven't read the books and
    if they think Arya and Dany's stories are slow now then may the old gods help them in 3 seasons time.

Are their story's much slower then the 2nd book? I have just finished book two and I am going to start the 3rd one shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

bluewolf wrote: »

well, as I said at the time of casting, this is "Hollywood ugly" - where a pair of glasses and tying your hair up turns a supermodel into an undesirable urchin

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

bobbyg wrote: »
    Are their story's much slower then the 2nd book? I have just finished book two and I am going to start the 3rd one shortly!

I'd love to tell you but I won't. Might be best to stop reading spoilers though, some things can get ruined for you, a few in threads here even I've noticed. 3rd book is brilliant, wish I was reading it for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Awesome piece of art

Advertisement