Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving a boat on a mooring

Options
  • 14-04-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

westerly wind upto 47 knots - for a few hrs then 25 knots for the week - should a boat be moved of a mooring - the swell is 7.2m but westerly again -the bay faces southerly to the sea or south west

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=64358

i suppose its just boats exposed to wetserly wind and swell on a west facing bay ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Did it survive?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You would want to keep an eye on it today :eek: This is just off Skerries.

548037_297600076986325_100002090063303_687608_1681724618_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Ouch; I wonder does the owner know yet, they'll have some head ache when they find out. Choppy weather about today all right. I was down in Clare today, driving by Lough Derg. It looked like the sea not a lake with all the waves.:eek: Glad I was driving by and not out in it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is not going to be much left for the owner :eek:

524206_3587278756332_1104198286_3430586_1532146254_n.jpg

And it's not over yet :mad:

558716_298005520279114_100002090063303_688148_36979211_n.jpg

Not a pretty sight this morning :eek:
    2012-04-26081309.jpg

2012-04-26081323.jpg

Some of the timber off this one will float again "I hope"
    2012-04-26082116.jpg

2012-04-26082204.jpg

2012-04-26084144.jpg

2012-04-26084152.jpg

2012-04-26091324.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Skerries wasn't the only place to lose some boats. The wind was very strong for the time of year so alot of east coast moorings where hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

that is just awful.

Would regular inspection on mooring warp have stopped this from happening or is it just part and parcel of having a boat moored in rough weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Regular checks and replacing anything that looks worn helps to avoid it. However some wind strengths and swell will just snap anything.

Yep Mother nature doesn't have a week link in her chain, we always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How awful - and how sad. Any boats that are out of the shelter of harbours (and even some within) will have been at serious risk yesterday and today. I suspect the insurance companies will be busy.....

It's just so sad to see boats meeting an end like that - whoever recently provided me with that link for a trailer for sale in Donegal on another thread might interested to know that this is the reason a trailer was for sale minus its boat....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4_ZIpjJ0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Breaks my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How awful - and how sad. Any boats that are out of the shelter of harbours (and even some within) will have been at serious risk yesterday and today. I suspect the insurance companies will be busy.....

It's just so sad to see boats meeting an end like that - whoever recently provided me with that link for a trailer for sale in Donegal on another thread might interested to know that this is the reason a trailer was for sale minus its boat....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4_ZIpjJ0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Breaks my heart.

That video is very sad to anyone with any interest in boats, really terrible stuff!
    Hopefully everyone here survived the last few days without similar results!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yep that's a terrible sight to see but this always happens in Skerries when theres bad weather, the boats once they break the moorings are always pushed out onto the rocks.

If bad weather is known to be coming they should of moved around to Rogerstown esturary for sanctuary. If you break moorings there which is unlikely due to a sandbar at the estuary entrance you'll most likely just end up run aground on the sand. A few guys did this a good few years ago and a lot of boats in Skerries were destroyed but the guys that moved to Rogerstown were safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

That was some carnage. Pity the poor owners. Although GRP boats seem to fare better where the wooden ones get obliterated, you have to wonder can you trust a boat battered over the rocks not to have invisible structural weaknesses? I've seen where the GRP has been flexed/kinked but sprang back and only close inspection from the inside showed all the reinforcement pulled out or broken. Here's hoping some of them at least got lucky and hit sand only.

A bit of info on the racing yacht and a video of the lift. url]www.afloat.ie[/url

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icEYUkmUKE0

that was Saturday. Sorry Wednesday
    six boats lifted out today in Bray.
    Only one undamaged lifted for safety
    the rest had varying degrees of damage.

Not many left in
    http://www.braysailingclub.ie/cameras/index.html

fergal.b wrote: »
    A bit of info on the racing yacht and a video of the lift. URL="http://www.afloat.ie"]www.afloat.ie[/URL

:eek:

More very sad watching. Boats are like seals - almost balletic when in the water, and just ungainly and awful out of it (or on their sides up on a beach).

Most of the way through that video I assumed that Raging Bull didn't have their mast up when she got washed ashore - but then I saw the last 30 seconds :eek:

So NedLed - did your boat survive???

Here is a video of Raging bull from the time she breaks her mooring,:( but She is on the way to repair at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Jaysus who ever took the video would they not think of calling the rnli instead on 999 or 112 - asking for coast guard??

Yeah the boat survived Heidi heidi- no fear there - just depends on the wind and wave direction....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Jaysus who ever took the video would they not think of calling the rnli instead on 999 or 112 - asking for coast guard??

Yeah the boat survived Heidi heidi- no fear there - just depends on the wind and wave direction....

Why would you call the emergency services out? No danger to life or limb. Strictly between the owner and his insurers. The last thing you want to be doing is putting peoples lives at risk by putting them out in those conditions unnecessarily.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Here is a video of Raging bull from the time she breaks her mooring,:( but She is on the way to repair at the moment :)

With apologies for dragging this a bit o/t..... why do the posters of these videos ruin them by putting cheesy songs as soundtracks? Would the noise of the wind and the crashing sea not be enough (with possibly the odd bit of wood-splintering:D).? Well it is for me - the sight of a boat beaching is bad enough without some boy band warbling along. Grump grump.

Delighted to hear your boat survived NedLed :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement