Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Control Regulations Amendment Draft 2012

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

sydthebeat wrote: »

Unless the enacted legislation contains measures to force every contractor and sub contractor to self certify, and of course hold relevant insurance, then it will be a continuation of the current "what language can i use to expose myself in the least" type certs we are accustomed to.

have we not just emerged from a System of Self Certification, with disastrous results.

Does the definition of certification, mean someone, Independent, and paid Independently, examine works and report their findings.

Insurance has been mentioned here regularly, who will Insure A Contractor to Self-Certify, what are his qualifications, in knowing all the Regulations, ( how long did he study these in College) compared to say an Architect??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

martinn123 wrote: »

have we not just emerged from a System of Self Certification, with disastrous results.

Does the definition of certification, mean someone, Independent, and paid Independently, examine works and report their findings.

Insurance has been mentioned here regularly, who will Insure A Contractor to Self-Certify, what are his qualifications, in knowing all the Regulations, ( how long did he study these in College) compared to say an Architect??

Exactly.

The choice was between a wholly self certification system, or a wholly governmental inspection system. The powers that be have decided to go with the former.... So the debate now is to the merits of this.

How equitable is it to expect an architect etc to certify other peoples work? If the architect is qualified and insured to provide professional services, shouldn't the same be expected of all contractors and sub contractors.

In my opinion, if the system is to work, thats the level of certification that is required

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

.....shouldn't the same be expected of all contractors and sub contractors.

That's the only way this can go....well, Irish style, eventually! Builders be prepared!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

now I know its not perfect but in this digital age you could insist that a 1,000,000 photos be taken during the build as the certification process

we did this for our own interest and it prooved very useful when we had an issue with one of the drains - we could identify it easily from the pre-sub floor photo

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

I have been following the thread with interest (and dismay). Thank you to those who have made submissions on the matter.

Much of what is being proposed seems to center around large projects such as house building. I know that in England & Wales small scale works such as attic conversions, retrofit of MVHR, new windows and so on are covered by building control. Are provisions to be made for small scale works here?

Some of the regulation (not only in the building space) that I have seen proposed and/or enacted here has a faint air of "jobs for the boys" about it. Add legislators that wouldn't know the difference between a hammer and a mallet into the mix and I'm fearful that we will be left with a situation where any sort of significant DIY work is either legally impossible or left completely unregulated.

• Advertisement

I have been following the thread with interest (and dismay). Thank you to those who have made submissions on the matter.

Much of what is being proposed seems to center around large projects such as house building. I know that in England & Wales small scale works such as attic conversions, retrofit of MVHR, new windows and so on are covered by building control. Are provisions to be made for small scale works here?

Some of the regulation (not only in the building space) that I have seen proposed and/or enacted here has a faint air of "jobs for the boys" about it. Add legislators that wouldn't know the difference between a hammer and a mallet into the mix and I'm fearful that we will be left with a situation where any sort of significant DIY work is either legally impossible or left completely unregulated.

thats the main problem here in ireland, in many counties 'building control' is practically non existant.
    in my local authority the building control officers interest ends at the driveway to a house... ie all they are interested in is the quality of the services serving houses, which they will eventually 'take in charge'
    themselves. They have NO interest in the individual house build.

Amazingly they dont actually have any statutory responsibility to have an interest in the building itself.

Once independent governmental inspections is taken from the table, the only other system that can work is one in which every single independent contractor should provide indemnified certification for their services.

the first draft of the bill expected one independent professional to take responsibility for every contractor on the build..... utter madness to be honest.

hopefully when we see the final draft we will see a system where each professional service certifies its own work, and the main certification would be based on these 'sub-certificates' ......

hearing that the bill has been signed in.

CIAT has not been included as an acceptable qualification Body for certification.
    Architectural Technology has not been included as a acceptable qualification.

:(:(

retained full restriction to RIAI, IEI and SCSI members.

This probably gives a good indication as to what is included

notably design certification, builder certification, inspection certification.....

includes extension greater than 40 sq m

Occupany NOT ALLOWED until final certification lodged, validated and registered with BCA (interesting ;) )

complete indemnification of the BCA from any responsibility whatsoever

See this also

sad day for architectural technicians, as a profession we have been devalued and made subservient with a stroke of a pen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dabzarch

hearing that the bill has been signed in.

CIAT has not been included as an acceptable qualification Body for certification.
    Architectural Technology has not been included as a acceptable qualification.

:(:(

retained full restriction to RIAI, IEI and SCSI members.

This probably gives a good indication as to what is included

notably design certification, builder certification, inspection certification.....

includes extension greater than 40 sq m

Occupany NOT ALLOWED until final certification lodged, validated and registered with BCA (interesting ;) )

complete indemnification of the BCA from any responsibility whatsoever

See this also

sad day for architectural technicians, as a profession we have been devalued and made subservient with a stroke of a pen :(

:(

Just to add link to http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/IR150313.pdf (Page 2) S.I. No. 80 of 2013. BUILDING CONTROL (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS 2013. (SI No. 80 not published online yet)

The Regulations come into effect on and from 1 March 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It appears as a degree qualified civil engineer, I will be on the dole.

Advertisement