Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cat D writeoff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

dave45dave wrote: »
    the car had a new d/s wing and valence but was classed as a cat d writeoff in the uk.

You say car got a wind and a valence. That's a lot more than just a wing ! For the valence to get damaged, it would also have a damaged front panel, headlamp, bumper, plus battery / air filter box etc behind the headlamp (depending on side). Also if the valence was replaced, then the car was probably "benched".

Check it out well, and if it is cheap enough (eg 20% less than cheapest one you can get elsewhere), go for it, but don't go in thinking it just got a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

amazingly both cat C and D could be as little as a scratch I have the cars to prove it.
    Its obvious from your previous explanation that you are a bluffer. You were sure that cat d was a categorization for the smallest accident possible. I dread to think what you have Been buying if you've been buying cat d under the impression that it referred to minor scratches.
    Yes there are times when it can refer to small damage but this will be in low value cars. We are specifically talking about 08 golf here.
    There are of course other occasions where a write off might not have any significant body work damage. Flood damage comes to mind. Again here we are talking about a car that has declared crash damage so whatever way you wish to cut it, if its a cat d in this case, the damage is serious enough to cost 60% of value of car - hardly a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

At the start of the thread, i got the categories mixed up, of course Cat D is the least amount of damage not the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d. have seen cars with no visible damage listed as cat d and c

only if it had been written off though. Cars with minor damage wiould just be repaired.

It's an economic write off, doesnt necessarily mean the car is badly damaged. As a general rule, the higher the value of the car when written off, the more serious the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

mickdw wrote: »
    Its obvious from your previous explanation that you are a bluffer. You were sure that cat d was a categorization for the smallest accident possible. I dread to think what you have Been buying if you've been buying cat d under the impression that it referred to minor scratches.
    Yes there are times when it can refer to small damage but this will be in low value cars. We are specifically talking about 08 golf here.
    There are of course other occasions where a write off might not have any significant body work damage. Flood damage comes to mind. Again here we are talking about a car that has declared crash damage so whatever way you wish to cut it, if its a cat d in this case, the damage is serious enough to cost 60% of value of car - hardly a scratch.
    just give up you havent a clue. how many cat D cars have you looked at are bought. why do you insist on giving an opinion when you dont know what you are talking about

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    only if it had been written off though. Cars with minor damage wiould just be repaired.

It's an economic write off, doesnt necessarily mean the car is badly damaged. As a general rule, the higher the value of the car when written off, the more serious the damage.
    i already said that. but as i already said i have seen cars with no visible damage (not water or flood) as cat D. just a year old. have to admit that these are getting fewer in the last while as insurance companies seem to have changed their policies in the current economic climate. but iam sure if you check some english salvage websites you will see some cat D and older cat C cars with very little damage. also some cars can put airbags off with very little damage. this could account for a large percentage of the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

If the bags blew in that car when it got a rap it would of wrote it off I presume. You'd want an engineers report on it.
    you presume wrong

So when drunk monkey says it it's wrong, but when you say it it's right?
    Just give it up.
    i already said that. but as i already said i have seen cars with no visible damage (not water or flood) as cat D. just a year old. have to admit that these are getting fewer in the last while as insurance companies seem to have changed their policies in the current economic climate. but iam sure if you check some english salvage websites you will see some cat D and older cat C cars with very little damage. also some cars can put airbags off with very little damage. this could account for a large percentage of the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i already said that.

You said this:
    . so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d.

Which is wrong. Every claim does not get labelled either a Cat A,B,C or D. Only cars that are written off do.

If the insurance company pay out £5k to the owner to have work done on a 6 month old car worth £20k it would not be recorded as a Cat D or C , it's just a claim. Nothing has been written off.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    So when drunk monkey says it it's wrong, but when you say it it's right?
    Just give it up.
    one more time a cat D can be anything from a minor scratch to major damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

one more time a cat D can be anything from a minor scratch to major damage.

It would want to be some scratch to cause a cat D write off to be fair... Unless youre talking about a car thats only worth a couple of hundred quid?

• Advertisement

You said this:

Which is wrong. Every claim does not get labelled either a Cat A,B,C or D. Only cars that are written off do.

If the insurance company pay out £5k to the owner to have work done on a 6 month old car worth £20k it would not be recorded as a Cat D or C , it's just a claim. Nothing has been written off.
    how many cars have you bought from insurance companies. i dont make up the rules i only can tell you what i know and see. you can read anything you like but i know from expierence. as i said lately the insurance companies in the u.k seem to have slightly changed their criteria and less cars are being sold on presumably they are being repaired.

how many cars have you bought from insurance companies. i dont make up the rules i only can tell you what i know and see. you can read anything you like but i know from expierence. as i said lately the insurance companies in the u.k seem to have slightly changed their criteria and less cars are being sold on presumably they are being repaired.

Who's talking about buying cars from insurance companies?

Again, you said this:

No qualifying statement, nothing. Just as is, a statement. Which is wrong.

Are you saying that you have bought cars from insurance companies that have been declared cat D write offs on the basis of minor cosmetic damage? Have you enquired of them why they were declared a write off for such minor damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no you didnt . you said all claims result in ABC or D which is wrong.

djimi wrote: »
    Are you saying that you have bought cars from insurance companies that have been declared cat D write offs on the basis of minor cosmetic damage? Have you enquired of them why they were declared a write off for such minor damage?
    yes i have and no i havent

Just so we know John, your going to ignore anything that proves you wrong, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Some serious spoofing going on in this thread methinks.

You said this:

sorry i thought the o.p asked a question about a u.k cat D registered car. thats what i was speaking about. an amazingly enough everybody has an opinion but nobody seems to have ever bought one and yet somebody who checks hundreds every week and buys them is spoofing.

sorry i thought the o.p asked a question about a u.k cat D registered car. thats what i was speaking about. an amazingly enough everybody has an opinion but nobody seems to have ever bought one and yet somebody who checks hundreds every week and buys them is spoofing.

You do come across like you are spoofing to be honest. Why on earth would you buy a car that has been declared to be a Cat D write off and which only has minor obvious cosmetic damage, without enquiring further as to why it was written off?

It is the UK catagory system that is being discussed.

Every insurance claim is NOT put down as either a Cat A, B, C or D. t's only given one of those if the car has been deemed a write off by the insurance.

Again to use the example from earlier, if the insurance pays a £5k claim of a £25k car, it's not then a Cat C or D. It's just a claim that was paid out.

• Advertisement

It is the UK catagory system that is being discussed.

Every insurance claim is NOT put down as either a Cat A, B, C or D. t's only given one of those if the car has been deemed a write off by the insurance.

Again to use the example from earlier, if the insurance pays a £5k claim of a £25k car, it's not then a Cat C or D. It's just a claim that was paid out.
    thats right. the o.p asked a question about a u.k cat D car. he didnt ask what about a car that a claim was paid on. people claimed it would have to have serious damage. i merely pointed out that this wouldnt nessecarily be the case. then other people started on about percentage of cost of repair to value of the car. that maybe whats wrote on paper but it bears no resmeblance to the actual truth of the matter. i have seen cars being sold cat d and cat c that has no bearing on the cost of repair. o.p wanted to know if a wing and valence would be category d. then the answer is yes it could be

djimi wrote: »
    You do come across like you are spoofing to be honest. Why on earth would you buy a car that has been declared to be a Cat D write off and which only has minor obvious cosmetic damage, without enquiring further as to why it was written off?
    why would i care. maybe i should ask them if they want more money to.

thats right. the o.p asked a question about a u.k cat D car. he didnt ask what about a car that a claim was paid on. people claimed it would have to have serious damage. i merely pointed out that this wouldnt nessecarily be the case. then other people started on about percentage of cost of repair to value of the car. that maybe whats wrote on paper but it bears no resmeblance to the actual truth of the matter. i have seen cars being sold cat d and cat c that has no bearing on the cost of repair. o.p wanted to know if a wing and valence would be category d. then the answer is yes it could be

Seriously, give it up. This is the third time I've posted this quote and told you its wrong. You know full well what being discussed and this has been it for the past page or so and your avoiding it and wafflign on about how you buy loads of cars.

This is WRONG.

Seriously, give it up. This is the third time I've posted this quote and told you its wrong. You know full well what being discussed and this has been it for the past page or so and your avoiding it and wafflign on about how you buy loads of cars.

This is WRONG.
    it amazes me how often somebody comes on these boards to ask a simple question . then you get a load of people who havent a clue giving there tuppence worth. until nobody knows or cares what the question was. and then the o.p has to go through a mountain of **** to try and decipher the truth.

This is WRONG.
    it amazes me how often somebody comes on these boards to ask a simple question . then you get a load of people who havent a clue giving there tuppence worth. until nobody knows or cares what the question was. and then the o.p has to go through a mountain of **** to try and decipher the truth.
    More waffle and not answering .

The OP got his answer on what a Cat D is. So answer the direct point that has been put to you 3 times. Actually I'll post it a fourth for the laugh.

Feel free to dispute this at any stage

This is WRONG.

More waffle and not answering .

The OP got his answer on what a Cat D is. So answer the direct point that has been put to you 3 times. Actually I'll post it a fourth for the laugh.

Feel free to dispute this at any stage

This is WRONG.
    no it was 100% right in relation to the o.p question. you havent a clue but you persist in trying confuse the issue. remind me to ignore any of your further posts as they will be fiction and have no relation to the topic being discussed.

no it was 100% right in relation to the o.p question. you havent a clue but you persist in trying confuse the issue. remind me to ignore any of your further posts as they will be fiction and have no relation to the topic being discussed.

Not it isnt right.

That statement you made is wrong. The car the OP is talking about is a Cat D yes. Thats because the insurance company wrote it off as such. The statement that a claim, no matter how small results in a cat D is not right no matter what way you look at it.Your statement and the fact the car already is a Cat D have no connection.

But your going to keep talking around the issue so you can have it to yourself.

At least admit this, as a statement on its own, is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Maybe you could keep quite then as most of the ****e is coming from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

John I think the answer is in the long version of the name CAT D "category d insurance write off-uneconomical insurance repair"

Not every claim is a cat d as not every claim results in the car being written off. Where are you selling these cars you buy as I'd like to avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

John reilly admit it, you are taking the piss out of us. Either that or you are an absolute fool. There is no other answer to the absolute muck you are spouting.

Advertisement