Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would Libertarianism work in an Irish context?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Apologies for taking so long but I have been busy.
    Well, the problem there was Microsoft using its operating system market monopoly to make their web browser the de-facto default; IE is free still, they just can't force it as your default browser now (so it wasn't punishing them for making it free).

Microsoft didn't have a monopoly in the operating system market.

They never forced people to use IE as their browser. It was always possible to use a different browser but people chose not to.
    Are there other antitrust examples that fit punishment for cheap or free products?

The Standard Oil and Alcoa antitrust cases.
    Ok well this guarantees a certain level of social segregation, beyond the unavoidable segregation based on fees; there's a very high likelihood of more expensive to teach students (mentally, physically, behaviorally disabled) being segregated for starters.

You seem to promote this segregation explicitly? Rather than trying to integrate the person with issues/disabilities into a normal social environment, you would explicitly separate them? (with the school making the choice, not the student or their parents)

This doesn't have to be students with a severe disability, just one which makes them marginally more expensive to take on; e.g. someone in a wheelchair.

I am not promoting segregation but pointing out that there is some positives to it. I am not sure whether it is a net positive or a net negative though.

Integrating people with issues into classes with normal students will result in a lower standard of education for the normal students. I do not think that is fair on the normal students.

The parents and student choose the school. So ultimately it will be the choice of the parents and student.
    It could easily cover people of a particular background as well, e.g. it would be acceptable for a private school to show prejudice against taking on a kid from a traveler family (they probably wouldn't get away with explicitly stating that, but could easily refuse them without reason).

It would be entirely their right to prohibit people from using their services.
    Same with any other minority group; if you applied this in the US right now, you'd likely further inflame racial segregation there (which is already a big issue), and particularly you'd probably have a massive increase in segregation of muslim students.

This thread is about Ireland not the US.
    Do you see any potential issues (beyond and/or including the above) with making segregation acceptable like that?

Not off the top of my head.
    Why would banks use the gold standard if they weren't forced to?

They wouldn't have to use gold. They could use whatever they wanted. But if they try to use an unbacked paper currency who would accept it as payment for anything?
    How could you trust banks to maintain the gold standard without physically trading gold as currency? (which there may not be enough gold for) If you use notes your money is vulnerable to the bank changing their system.

Why wouldn't there be enough gold to be physically traded as currency?

Banks could only issue notes if they could eventually be redeemed for something. The banks wouldn't issue more notes than could be redeemed for fear of going bankrupt.
    What are they going to do when an inevitable economic downturn comes and they don't have the fiscal control fiat money provides? (the gold standard is widely regarded as worsening the 1930's depression)

Fiscal control? Fiscal policy and monetary policy are two separate things.

Considering most libertarians on boards subscribe to the Austrian School of Economics then we would counter that these economic downturns are caused by monetary policy in the first place.

Why do you think that the gold standard worsened the Great Depression?
    Isn't the foundation of any system based on gold at the mercy of untapped gold resources? (which could cause massive inflation and uncertainty)

People could switch to silver or another commodity if they thought gold was going to lose its value too fast.

How likely is it that there would be a large enough gold find to cause massive inflation? Especially considering that commodity currencies have generally been associated with mild deflation/inflation.
    Doesn't the gold reserve give countries with vast untapped reserves of gold an enormous and unjust economic advantage? (to be any use, the value of gold would likely inflate far higher than now)

Not really no. That's like saying that countries with large cotton farms currently have an "unjust" economic advantage because banknotes are made from cotton paper. Or that countries with large copper reserves have an economic advantage because copper is used to make so many coins.
    Doesn't the gold standard put a top-end cap on worldwide economic growth, if no more gold can be produced?

No. Why on earth would that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Microsoft didn't have a monopoly in the operating system market.
    In the desktop market they do though; they (by some initial figures googling) have consistently held up to a 90% share in the desktop market.
    That's an effective monopoly, and it's looking to continue that way into the foreseeable future, as no Linux varieties are really kicking off for desktop usage (even if they have considerable server and other usage).

So, by having their web browser pre-installed, that made it the de-facto default web browser for 90+% of the desktop market.

In any case, this is following from the question "when have governments prosecuted companies for giving products away free?", so in this case it was about making it default, not that it was free.
    Are there other antitrust examples that fit punishment for cheap or free products?
    The Standard Oil and Alcoa antitrust cases.
    Hmm, it seems that with Standard Oil, they had achieved a (truly enormous) monopoly of over 90% of the US oil market, with quite a lot of anti-competitive tactics (which price undercutting only played a small part; once competition was gone they raised prices high). Interesting history there though.

In what way was the Alcoa vs US thing, a punishment of Alcoa for providing stuff cheap or free? It seems it was a case primarily about their monopoly over aluminium smelting.
    I am not promoting segregation but pointing out that there is some positives to it. I am not sure whether it is a net positive or a net negative though.

Integrating people with issues into classes with normal students will result in a lower standard of education for the normal students. I do not think that is fair on the normal students.

The parents and student choose the school. So ultimately it will be the choice of the parents and student.
    Ya okey, fair enough.
    It could easily cover people of a particular background as well, e.g. it would be acceptable for a private school to show prejudice against taking on a kid from a traveler family (they probably wouldn't get away with explicitly stating that, but could easily refuse them without reason).
    It would be entirely their right to prohibit people from using their services.
    Well that to me is one of the extremely big downsides of private education, as it will definitely promote discrimination and segregation if that is allowed.

In that situation, all the previous issues I brought up about segregation would come into place, with schools 'creaming off' the easier to teach and less expensive students, and refusing those with disabilities etc. (i.e. those more expensive to teach).

They can't be sued for that either, because they don't have to state why they refuse; the only way to prevent that, is to mandate that schools can't discriminate like that.
    Do you see any potential issues (beyond and/or including the above) with making segregation acceptable like that?
    Not off the top of my head.
    Did you mean you don't see potential issues with making segregation acceptable, or that you don't see any additional issues past what I mentioned?

Why would banks use the gold standard if they weren't forced to?
    They wouldn't have to use gold. They could use whatever they wanted. But if they try to use an unbacked paper currency who would accept it as payment for anything?
    Okey, well this implies a system without any set standard; in that situation, I don't see how any bank or their currency can be trusted, because they could change their rules at any time.

This allows a situation where quite a lot of the problems, and worse, of the current economic system can exist, and if one bank became dominant it could single-handedly wreak massive damage on the wider economy, as it would have the power to devalue their currency at will.
    How could you trust banks to maintain the gold standard without physically trading gold as currency? (which there may not be enough gold for) If you use notes your money is vulnerable to the bank changing their system.
    Why wouldn't there be enough gold to be physically traded as currency?

Banks could only issue notes if they could eventually be redeemed for something. The banks wouldn't issue more notes than could be redeemed for fear of going bankrupt.
    The point is the banks could change the exchange rate for their currency at any time, and could devalue your paper money to effective worthlessness.
    Fiscal control? Fiscal policy and monetary policy are two separate things.

Considering most libertarians on boards subscribe to the Austrian School of Economics then we would counter that these economic downturns are caused by monetary policy in the first place.

Why do you think that the gold standard worsened the Great Depression?
    Ah right you are, I meant monetary policy. The gold standard locked the exchange rate for the dollar, and the US did not have the monetary policy tools available to create credit with which to try and mitigate deflation.

If one thing is constant throughout all of economic history, it is that every economy will at some point experience an economic downturn; this has to include the system proposed by Austrian economics, which means it would happen in the absence of monetary policy interference.
    So basically, you can't say a particular economic system implemented in the real world, will never experience an economic downturn.

So, in light of that, how would an Austrian economic system under the gold standard deal with an economic downturn? Monetary policy tools would not be available to ease this.
    Doesn't the gold standard put a top-end cap on worldwide economic growth, if no more gold can be produced?
    No. Why on earth would that matter?
    If restricted to a gold-only standard, and there was no more gold available to mine, then the money supply freezes, and then you enter a period of permanent deflation.

In the desktop market they do though; they (by some initial figures googling) have consistently held up to a 90% share in the desktop market.
    That's an effective monopoly, and it's looking to continue that way into the foreseeable future, as no Linux varieties are really kicking off for desktop usage (even if they have considerable server and other usage).

So, by having their web browser pre-installed, that made it the de-facto default web browser for 90+% of the desktop market.

In any case, this is following from the question "when have governments prosecuted companies for giving products away free?", so in this case it was about making it default, not that it was free.

A large market share is NOT a monopoly. Microsoft has never had a monopoly in either market. They may have had large market shares but they never had a monopoly.
    Hmm, it seems that with Standard Oil, they had achieved a (truly enormous) monopoly of over 90% of the US oil market, with quite a lot of anti-competitive tactics (which price undercutting only played a small part; once competition was gone they raised prices high). Interesting history there though.

Once again, a large market share is not a monopoly. A monopoly is when there is only one supplier in a market and no substitute goods available. By that definition Standard Oil was never a monopoly.

As far as I am aware Standard Oil never raised prices either. Between 1869-1897 Standard Oil cut the price of refined oil by about 80%. Hardly a price raise is it?
    In what way was the Alcoa vs US thing, a punishment of Alcoa for providing stuff cheap or free? It seems it was a case primarily about their monopoly over aluminium smelting.

Once again Alcoa wasn't a monopoly as it had to compete with scrap aluminium. Alcoa also managed to gain its large market share due to its ability to sell cheap aluminium. So yes it was being prosecuted for charging low prices.
    They can't be sued for that either, because they don't have to state why they refuse; the only way to prevent that, is to mandate that schools can't discriminate like that.

They couldn't be sued if they did state their reason. It's entirely their right to sell or withhold the sale of their goods to/from anybody they like.
    Did you mean you don't see potential issues with making segregation acceptable, or that you don't see any additional issues past what I mentioned?

I don't see any additional issues.
    Okey, well this implies a system without any set standard; in that situation, I don't see how any bank or their currency can be trusted, because they could change their rules at any time.

This allows a situation where quite a lot of the problems, and worse, of the current economic system can exist, and if one bank became dominant it could single-handedly wreak massive damage on the wider economy, as it would have the power to devalue their currency at will.

I think you seem to be hugely overestimating the power of banks here. A bank cannot issue a currency that nobody is willing to hold. For that reason their currency is likely to be backed by a commodity.

The notes banks will be issuing will likely say "this note entitles the bearer to 1 ounce of gold from name of issuing bank". In that scenario I don't see how the bank could devalue their currency.
    The point is the banks could change the exchange rate for their currency at any time, and could devalue your paper money to effective worthlessness.

In a free market in banking it's unlikely that things will be priced in Euros/Dollars/Sterling like they are now. They will be priced in grams/ounces of gold/silver. Therefore they won't be able to devalue anything as the banknote will say the weight of gold it is worth.
    Ah right you are, I meant monetary policy. The gold standard locked the exchange rate for the dollar, and the US did not have the monetary policy tools available to create credit with which to try and mitigate deflation.

The US created unbacked money throughout the 20's and continued to do so after the devaluation up until the last link with gold standard was broken in the 70's. So the US could easily have created more money but it chose not to.
    If one thing is constant throughout all of economic history, it is that every economy will at some point experience an economic downturn; this has to include the system proposed by Austrian economics, which means it would happen in the absence of monetary policy interference.
    So basically, you can't say a particular economic system implemented in the real world, will never experience an economic downturn.

It's fair to say that a true free market absent government intervention, that would be espoused by most Austrian economists and libertarians, has never existed. Therefore your claim that recessions must happen under such a system are false. Your claim is also highly illogical. Just because something happened in the past, it does not mean it must happen in the future.

If bubbles (and therefore recessions) are only caused by government intervention then I can say that a world absent government intervention will not experience economic downturns.
    So, in light of that, how would an Austrian economic system under the gold standard deal with an economic downturn? Monetary policy tools would not be available to ease this.

It would deal with downturns the way economies always deal with downturns. By the allowing markets to return to equilibrium.
    If restricted to a gold-only standard, and there was no more gold available to mine, then the money supply freezes, and then you enter a period of permanent deflation.

True. How does deflation = an end to economic growth?

A large market share is NOT a monopoly. Microsoft has never had a monopoly in either market. They may have had large market shares but they never had a monopoly.
    A large market share is how monopoly is determined, and 90% seems an often used figure for determining monopoly, so Microsoft was (may still be) a monopoly in the desktop operating system market.

I mean just look at how much lock-in there is to Windows-only software, look at how the majority of games only run on Windows etc..
    Once again, a large market share is not a monopoly. A monopoly is when there is only one supplier in a market and no substitute goods available. By that definition Standard Oil was never a monopoly.
    A monopoly is when there is such a large (>90%) market share and so little competition, that the bigger company is free to exploit its dominance (partly combined with anti-competitive practices usually).
    By your own standards, government does not have a monopoly on schooling in Ireland, because there are some private schools out there.

Standard oil is widely considered one of the best examples of monopoly in history; both of them are listed here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly#Examples_of_monopolies

Remember also, the question wasn't what constituted a monopoly, the question was when had government punished people for giving away cheap/free products in the past; these monopolies weren't punished for that.

How widespread is the view, among Libertarian supporters, that these don't constitute monopolies and competition problems?
    If these massively dominant corporations would not be viewed as monopolistic and as a problem in Libertarian society, it would be an extraordinarily exploitative society.
    As far as I am aware Standard Oil never raised prices either. Between 1869-1897 Standard Oil cut the price of refined oil by about 80%. Hardly a price raise is it?
    Through technological development the whole industry gradually reduced prices; once competition was out of the way for Standard Oil it is my understanding they did raise prices.

I will add the caveat to what I say, in that I can't find good sources on it at the moment. In my searches for information about Standard Oil, it's interesting that the majority of the articles I can find on Google are from Libertarain sites, which appear to be exercising a bit of revisionist history in the 100th anniversary of the antitrust case.
    Once again Alcoa wasn't a monopoly as it had to compete with scrap aluminium. Alcoa also managed to gain its large market share due to its ability to sell cheap aluminium. So yes it was being prosecuted for charging low prices.
    Hehe, ah now I understand where you've made the connection :) A company being punished for having a monopoly is not a company being punished for having low prices, even if those low prices assist it to monopoly power. It is rather interesting it gets represented that way though.
    I don't see any additional issues.
    Okey, though what is your opinion on the issues I did bring up? Do you think those issues are an acceptable price to pay for a switchover to private education?
    I think you seem to be hugely overestimating the power of banks here. A bank cannot issue a currency that nobody is willing to hold. For that reason their currency is likely to be backed by a commodity.

The notes banks will be issuing will likely say "this note entitles the bearer to 1 ounce of gold from name of issuing bank". In that scenario I don't see how the bank could devalue their currency.
    A bank only has to play fair until they are relatively dominant or just have a large reserve of gold/precious-metals. There's no reason why a bank has to state the weight of gold on the notes they issues either, no reason at all why they can't decide to have an adjustable exchange rate of notes vs gold.

In addition, banks can individually determine their reserve rate as well (they can change their policy here independent of anything else), which is another method of depleting gold reserves by engaging in risky or even knowingly fraudulent loans, until the bank is bankrupt.

It seems plausible, that individuals conspiring together with the bank, could set up a front of companies for taking the loans, and channel the money to other companies (under the guise of legitimate business) until bankrupt, and those other companies could cash out gold (privately distributing the gains with conspirators), thus depleting bank reserves.

It's fraud, but very hard to prove if done right, and the owner of the bank conspiring in this could not be held to account because nobody could prove he broke any laws.
    Any bank, even if it had been run in a 100% legitimate and trustworthy manner up to that point, could do this.

The US created unbacked money throughout the 20's and continued to do so after the devaluation up until the last link with gold standard was broken in the 70's. So the US could easily have created more money but it chose not to.
    They did, but they undertook deflationary policies to try and maintain gold reserves and the modified gold standard. Britain did something even more drastic after WWI and intentionally pinned themselves to the gold standard (after years of inflation off of it during the war), leading to enormous deflation (something Churchill regards as one of his biggest mistakes).

It's fair to say that a true free market absent government intervention, that would be espoused by most Austrian economists and libertarians, has never existed. Therefore your claim that recessions must happen under such a system are false. Your claim is also highly illogical. Just because something happened in the past, it does not mean it must happen in the future.

If bubbles (and therefore recessions) are only caused by government intervention then I can say that a world absent government intervention will not experience economic downturns.
    This flies in the face of all of economic history. An accepted view among the majority of (nearly all) economists, through most schools of economics, is that history has shown economic downturns will happen at some point, and thus any economic theory/model must support the condition of economic downturn.

To claim that under a 'true' free market, under Libertarian/Austrian principals, would never experience an economic downturn, and the very idea that the way an economy is managed is the sole determinant of whether an economic downturn may take place, is pretty thoroughly wrong.

Just to give an extreme example which can once-off disprove that: If something like the Spanish Flu occurred in a country under such a system, with similar devastation, it would lead to an economic downturn.
    It would deal with downturns the way economies always deal with downturns. By the allowing markets to return to equilibrium.
    Ok so it would do nothing basically; take no special measures.
    True. How does deflation = an end to economic growth?
    Granted it doesn't end it, but entering a period of permanent deflation completely changes the economic dynamics of society.

Since money will not lose its value, but in fact be permanently increasing in value, people (particularly the richest) will be motivated to hoard money rather than spend it or invest it, and it will aid the accumulation of wealth.
    In an inflationary society, people are motivated to spend and invest, as the value of money constantly erodes slightly; in a deflationary society, there is no need for the rich to take any risks with money and put it to work.

So, in an inflationary society the wealth of the rich is always slowly seeping back into the economy, benefiting the economy and the less well off, but the opposite happens in a deflationary society, where the wealth inherently is accumulating more to those who are already rich, with no effort in any way whatsoever being expended.

Also, in a society of permanent deflation, the lender vs borrower dynamic changes significantly, in that the worth of the money the borrower gets is less than the worth of the same amount of money he has to pay back later (on top of the interest).

So in summary, a deflationary society very disproportionately favours the rich, and disincentivizes putting money to work in risky investments (of which some are necessary for stimulating business/growth), which has an impact on economic growth (though would not end it).

Interesting; in my searches, came upon this article, which seems to get to the very core of the fault in Austrian economics plus Libertarianism:
    http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/12/philip-pilkington-libertarianism-and-the-leap-of-faith-%E2%80%93-the-origins-of-a-political-cult.html

I actually highly recommend everyone read that article; it is definitely the authors subjective opinion, but it is really extremely good, and I think it has pointed me in the direction of the core economics faults of Libertarianism.
    I haven't read up a great deal yet on marginalism/marginal-utility and other value theories, but seems that is the place to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

Interesting; in my searches, came upon this article, which seems to get to the very core of the fault in Austrian economics plus Libertarianism:
    http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/12/philip-pilkington-libertarianism-and-the-leap-of-faith-%E2%80%93-the-origins-of-a-political-cult.html

I actually highly recommend everyone read that article; it is definitely the authors subjective opinion, but it is really extremely good, and I think it has pointed me in the direction of the core economics faults of Libertarianism.
    I haven't read up a great deal yet on marginalism/marginal-utility and other value theories, but seems that is the place to look.

I'll admit its interesting to see what your search for 2nd hand accounts of Austrian theory and Libertarianism throw up. The premise of the article was that Libertarians are a cult because of their value theory, but then the article never bothers to discuss value theory. He does discuss it in another article though, where he quotes Austro-Libertarian king-pin Paul Samuelson!:pac:

• Advertisement

I don't understand the "2nd hand account" criticism really; virtually everything other than the original books on Austrian economics and its Libertarian policies are 'second hand' (or third, fourth, fifth hand etc. depending upon who references who).

Basically, anything that criticizes Austrian economics or Libertarianism is always second hand by those standards.

In any case; what was the other article you found linked to? Sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

I don't understand the "2nd hand account" criticism really; virtually everything other than the original books on Austrian economics and its Libertarian policies are 'second hand' (or third, fourth, fifth hand etc. depending upon who references who).

Basically, anything that criticizes Austrian economics or Libertarianism is always second hand by those standards.

Apologies, he never actually quotes any Austrian economist regarding subjective value theory. The author also doesn't seem to realize that subjective value theory is accepted by economists of all schools, or maybe he does, and considers Paul Samuelson and Keynesian state interventionists to be a cult too.
    In any case; what was the other article you found linked to? Sounds interesting.

It wasn't interesting.
    http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/10/philip-pilkington-marginal-utility-theory-as-a-blueprint-for-social-control.html

A large market share is how monopoly is determined, and 90% seems an often used figure for determining monopoly, so Microsoft was (may still be) a monopoly in the desktop operating system market.

I mean just look at how much lock-in there is to Windows-only software, look at how the majority of games only run on Windows etc..

A large market share is not how a monopoly is defined. You can't go around just making up definitions willy-nilly as you please. The hint as to what it means is in the word itself. Mono is derived from the Greek word for single. Notice how it isn't derived from the Greek word for really big?
    A monopoly is when there is such a large (>90%) market share and so little competition, that the bigger company is free to exploit its dominance (partly combined with anti-competitive practices usually).
    By your own standards, government does not have a monopoly on schooling in Ireland, because there are some private schools out there.

Did I claim that the Government had a monopoly on schooling?
    Standard oil is widely considered one of the best examples of monopoly in history; both of them are listed here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly#Examples_of_monopolies

Remember also, the question wasn't what constituted a monopoly, the question was when had government punished people for giving away cheap/free products in the past; these monopolies weren't punished for that.

Standard Oil wasn't a monopoly so it cannot be considered a good example of one. If Standard Oil is considered an example of a monopoly then it just goes to show how lazy the people that wrote that section of the article are.

These companies got their large market share by charging low prices, so effectively they were punished.
    How widespread is the view, among Libertarian supporters, that these don't constitute monopolies and competition problems?
    If these massively dominant corporations would not be viewed as monopolistic and as a problem in Libertarian society, it would be an extraordinarily exploitative society.

I'm pretty sure the view is widespread. How on earth can companies that dramatically lower prices be considered exploitative?
    Through technological development the whole industry gradually reduced prices; once competition was out of the way for Standard Oil it is my understanding they did raise prices.

I will add the caveat to what I say, in that I can't find good sources on it at the moment. In my searches for information about Standard Oil, it's interesting that the majority of the articles I can find on Google are from Libertarain sites, which appear to be exercising a bit of revisionist history in the 100th anniversary of the antitrust case.

You're claiming that Standard Oil was a monopoly. Therefore Standard Oil was the oil market. Therefore Standard Oil is the only explanation for lower oil prices.

I don't claim that though. I claim that Standard Oil was one of many companies in the oil industry. It was far and away the largest though. It became that way through constant innovation and lowering of the price of oil.

If it was the whole industry that lowered oil prices as opposed to Standard Oil then how did Standard Oil get such a large market share?

Does the fact that all the sources you can find contradict your position not tell you something? It's quite hilarious that you then claim that they are engaging in revisionist history. Are you sure it isn't you that is doing so?
    Hehe, ah now I understand where you've made the connection :) A company being punished for having a monopoly is not a company being punished for having low prices, even if those low prices assist it to monopoly power. It is rather interesting it gets represented that way though.

If they didn't have those low prices they wouldn't have become a monopoly therefore they are getting punished for having those low prices. If they realised they were going to become a monopoly and decided to raise prices they would be punished for price gouging. If they decided to withhold supply to create a shortage of their product they would be punished for that to. The logical approach is to continue to charge low prices and increase market share. Therefore they are being punished for charging low prices when they are eventually punished for having a dominant market share.
    Okey, though what is your opinion on the issues I did bring up? Do you think those issues are an acceptable price to pay for a switchover to private education?

I think they are an acceptable price to pay.
    A bank only has to play fair until they are relatively dominant or just have a large reserve of gold/precious-metals. There's no reason why a bank has to state the weight of gold on the notes they issues either, no reason at all why they can't decide to have an adjustable exchange rate of notes vs gold.

What makes you think the bank is going to stop playing fair?

Are you going to store gold with a bank with an adjustable exchange rate or a bank that allows you to reclaim the gold you deposited in full?
    In addition, banks can individually determine their reserve rate as well (they can change their policy here independent of anything else), which is another method of depleting gold reserves by engaging in risky or even knowingly fraudulent loans, until the bank is bankrupt.

Yes because business owners are well known for their desire to bankrupt their own businesses :rolleyes:
    It seems plausible, that individuals conspiring together with the bank, could set up a front of companies for taking the loans, and channel the money to other companies (under the guise of legitimate business) until bankrupt, and those other companies could cash out gold (privately distributing the gains with conspirators), thus depleting bank reserves.

It's fraud, but very hard to prove if done right, and the owner of the bank conspiring in this could not be held to account because nobody could prove he broke any laws.
    Any bank, even if it had been run in a 100% legitimate and trustworthy manner up to that point, could do this.

Why would somebody bank with that bank in the first place? Why would anyone ever trust the owner of that bank again?
    They did, but they undertook deflationary policies to try and maintain gold reserves and the modified gold standard. Britain did something even more drastic after WWI and intentionally pinned themselves to the gold standard (after years of inflation off of it during the war), leading to enormous deflation (something Churchill regards as one of his biggest mistakes).

So in other words it was because they engaged in inflationary policies in the first place that they found themselves in a sticky pickle?
    This flies in the face of all of economic history. An accepted view among the majority of (nearly all) economists, through most schools of economics, is that history has shown economic downturns will happen at some point, and thus any economic theory/model must support the condition of economic downturn.

It's entirely possible that those majority of economists are wrong. Don't forget that a huge majority of economists accepted the view that a minimum wage was bad for low wage workers. A view you are arguing against right at this moment in another thread on this forum.
    To claim that under a 'true' free market, under Libertarian/Austrian principals, would never experience an economic downturn, and the very idea that the way an economy is managed is the sole determinant of whether an economic downturn may take place, is pretty thoroughly wrong.

Just to give an extreme example which can once-off disprove that: If something like the Spanish Flu occurred in a country under such a system, with similar devastation, it would lead to an economic downturn.

I do believe that occasionally shocks to the economy such as natural disasters can cause economic downturns. I don't believe that they are common enough to bother worrying about. I was just just pointing out that I could claim that economic downturns are entirely the cause of government intervention.
    Ok so it would do nothing basically; take no special measures.

An economy recovers from recession by getting back to normal. Austrian economists believe that the best way to do that is by leaving the economy to its own devices. Whereas other economist believe that fiscal or monetary stimulus is the best way to do so.
    Granted it doesn't end it, but entering a period of permanent deflation completely changes the economic dynamics of society.

Since money will not lose its value, but in fact be permanently increasing in value, people (particularly the richest) will be motivated to hoard money rather than spend it or invest it, and it will aid the accumulation of wealth.
    In an inflationary society, people are motivated to spend and invest, as the value of money constantly erodes slightly; in a deflationary society, there is no need for the rich to take any risks with money and put it to work.

People will only stop investing if money is increasing in value faster than assets. In the long run that won't happen.

They also can't hold money for ever, eventually they will need to consume something.

If this all aids to the accumulation of wealth, then how is it a bad thing? Or is making people poor a good thing now?
    So, in an inflationary society the wealth of the rich is always slowly seeping back into the economy, benefiting the economy and the less well off, but the opposite happens in a deflationary society, where the wealth inherently is accumulating more to those who are already rich, with no effort in any way whatsoever being expended.

Rich people generally tend to hold their wealth in assets such as stocks or bonds as opposed to money. Poor people on the other hand are more likely to hold their wealth in money. So if anything a deflationary environment will favour the poor.
    Also, in a society of permanent deflation, the lender vs borrower dynamic changes significantly, in that the worth of the money the borrower gets is less than the worth of the same amount of money he has to pay back later (on top of the interest).

Lower interest rates would make up most, if not all, of the difference.
    So in summary, a deflationary society very disproportionately favours the rich, and disincentivizes putting money to work in risky investments (of which some are necessary for stimulating business/growth), which has an impact on economic growth (though would not end it).

Risky investments generally earn a higher return because of their riskiness. So a deflationary doesn't disincentivise people from putting their money into them.

Calling Austrian economics or libertarianism a cult is hardly a good critique of either. In fact it is quite pathetic. It's also quite ridiculous to claim that libertarianism was born out of marginalism considering libertarianism is just the modern form of classical liberalism which was around long before marginalism was first developed.

Marginalism isn't only accepted by the Austrian school. It is accepted by every school of economic thought and even some marxists.

Replying to SupaNova first (just as I have it written down, may as well split to two posts):
    SupaNova wrote:
    The author also doesn't seem to realize that subjective value theory is accepted by economists of all schools, or maybe he does, and considers Paul Samuelson and Keynesian state interventionists to be a cult too.
    You seem to be straw-manning him quite a bit there, putting words/views into his mouth to knock down. Where does he rail on subjective theories of value in general? Seems like that would cover a lot of theories, when he may be focusing on a particular subset.

Also, while I don't yet know the detailed criticisms behind any economic schools particular theory of value, I do know that not all schools adopt particular theories of value.

For instance, post-Keynesian economists don't seem to actually have an explicit theory of value, which is regarded simultaneously as both a strength and weakness of their school (a strength in avoiding its alleged flaws, a weakness in lack of completeness in theory).
    Many people involved in burgeoning econophysics also seem to hold similar post-Keynesian views, though some do adopt more mainstream theories of value.

It seems that current theories of value have shortfalls under certain circumstances, but that is something I need to read up more on to understand better.

Your whole argument actually, appears to be an "an appeal to the people" (i.e. numbers) and to a lesser extent, an "appeal to authority" rather than having any basis to it; i.e. "sure most economists agree with it, therefore it's right".
    I could just as easily say "sure most economics agree with neoclassical economics, therefore that's right", but we both know that's wrong.

A selected quote (the article I found very interesting by the way, ta :)):
    The theory of marginal utility is, like most concepts in neoclassical microeconomics, quite simple. It begins, also like most concepts in neoclassical microeconomics, with a tautology. The economists claim that people choose that which maximises their pleasure and minimises their displeasure. They refer to this as people ‘optimising their utility’ – ‘utility’ here being this supposedly innate tendency to choose that which satisfies us most.

As any even a half-blind observer will note this is complete claptrap. People often make choices that turn out later not to ‘maximise their satisfaction’ (whatever that crude phrase might mean). Have you ever gone clothes shopping and bought an expensive pair of jeans that you never wore? Well, that’s hardly utility maximising behaviour.

In fact people often make choices that lead to less than satisfactory outcomes. This seems to be by design rather than anything else. If we always made the choices that ensured constant satisfaction we would soon find that we had no motivation to do anything new and would simply sit and stew in our own narrow and static world. That we occasionally make less than satisfactory choices allows us to continue to pursue satisfaction all the more. Nothing would smother our drives, our ambitions and our aspirations quite like a constant state of satiation.
    http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/10/philip-pilkington-marginal-utility-theory-as-a-blueprint-for-social-control.html
    Seems a reasonable rebuttal to me; this seems like it's one of the core microeconomic analogies (and weaknesses) between neoclassical economics and Austrian economics.

Another selected quote:
    Adding to the theory of utility the theory of marginality doesn’t really make things any better. The newly constructed theory of marginal utility states that we will derive an ever diminishing amount of satisfaction (that is, utility) from any given product or circumstance.

Impressive, right? Not really. And not strictly true either.

An obvious counter-example would be that of the collector who derives an increase in satisfaction from accumulating a greater number of a certain item. Not to mention the eager capitalist who views money as an end in itself rather than a means to an end and so tries to accumulate ever-increasing amounts right up to infinity.

Eccentrics, surely? Not really. Many people have a passion for collecting a variety of different items and there are certainly no shortage of burgeoning capitalists in this age of popularised stock markets and online Forex trading.

There’s also the issue that advertising can often try to convince consumers to buy ever-increasing volumes of a product – even if the price of the product increases due to the brand becoming more popular. This is often remarkably successful and seems to fly in the face of the theory of marginal utility. In fact, it contradicts it at a very fundamental level. It shows that consumers are not the rationally calculating agents that marginal utility theory says they are. Instead they are agents caught up in trends and fashions and subject to irrational drives that marketers know well how to tap in to.
    That seems to be another good example of an exception to the theory he is criticizing; the point on advertising is a particularly good one.

Another select quote:
    If people are not seen to have almost wholly static tastes the theory of marginal utility is worthless. If peoples’ tastes are constantly changing due to personal development, outside influence etc. then price signals will be of secondary importance and psychological and cultural changes will have to brought to the fore as explanations for consumer behaviour toward anything beyond the most simple commodities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The idea that a monopoly has to have 100% of the market is kindergarten stuff. It's about market power, in the microsoft case there were barriers to entry for other Oses as people had software locked in, and developers often exclusively develeoped for Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

• Advertisement

To put my spoke in here - directing us to read the prophets of libertarianism without a link is hardly acceptable, nor should the link be enough, it needs be explained. I know that libertarians think their thought leaders have all the answers, and that there are no other opposing theories. in fact standard economics is not libertarian. Minoroty and extremist ideologies need extraordinary proof; rather than go read Marx, go read Hayek, go read Revelations.

so back to the gold standard, rejected by main stream economics as it happens. it would seem to be an extraordinary claim to make that banks left to their own devices without a central bank would adhere to it, but can we have the explanation as to how or why they would?

The idea that a monopoly has to have 100% of the market is kindergarten stuff. It's about market power, in the microsoft case there were barriers to entry for other Oses as people had software locked in, and developers often exclusively develeoped for Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

The first line from that link:
    A monopoly (from Greek monos μόνος (alone or single) + polein πωλεῖν (to sell)) exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity.
    so back to the gold standard, rejected by main stream economics as it happens. it would seem to be an extraordinary claim to make that banks left to their own devices without a central bank would adhere to it, but can we have the explanation as to how or why they would?

Why would you use the currency of a bank not backed by gold or a similar commodity?

The first line from that link:

If that were all they wiki entry would end there. In law it means a dominant position..

In law, a monopoly is business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices.
    Why would you use the currency of a bank not backed by gold or a similar commodity?

People accept fiat currency now, if a bank guarantees it will honour the currency a shopkeeper will take it, and you can use it to buy. Currencies don't have to be backed by anything, and people don't care about gold, which has no mystical or magical properties anyway.

If that were all they wiki entry would end there. In law it means a dominant position..

In law, a monopoly is business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices.

The law is wrong. A monopoly means only one provider full stop, there is absolutely no argument to be had on the matter whatsoever. If monopoly meant a company with a large market share it wouldn't have the prefix 'mono' it would be called a "companywithalargemarketsharepoly".
    People accept fiat currency now, if a bank guarantees it will honour the currency a shopkeeper will take it, and you can use it to buy. Currencies don't have to be backed by anything, and people don't care about gold, which has no mystical or magical properties anyway.

People accept fiat currency now because they are forced to and because they have to pay their taxes in it.

The bank will honour the currency with what?

Gold might not have magical properties but it does have all the properties required of money. It is durable, easily divisible, relatively scarce, portable, consistent, a long history as money and it has intrinsic value.

1) the law is right, otherwise we would absurdly agree that a company with 99.999999% of the market was not a monopoly.
    2) people accept anything as currency, wampum, cigarettes, sea shells. taxes didn't exist.
    3) the intrinsic value of gold matter to a jeweller, but no one else. The rest of its use, portability, durability matter only as coinage. Libertarians should go the whole hog and just use gold coins.
    4) a large bank could easily create a reserve currency - say HSBC - which other bank currencies track, forex would then replaced by bank currency trades.
    5) nothing would stop currency inflation or asset bubbles, except law.

1) the law is right, otherwise we would absurdly agree that a company with 99.999999% of the market was not a monopoly.

The law isn't right. I can't see how you don't understand this. Mono means one. Not very big one. Just one. If there is more than one seller of a good then it cannot be a monopoly.

What's the objective definition of a monopoly now then?
    2) people accept anything as currency, wampum, cigarettes, sea shells. taxes didn't exist.

People did indeed accept various things as money over time but they eventually settled on gold.
    3) the intrinsic value of gold matter to a jeweller, but no one else. The rest of its use, portability, durability matter only as coinage. Libertarians should go the whole hog and just use gold coins.

It wouldn't make any sense to use gold coins as we would eventually have to trade them for fiat currency to pay taxes.
    4) a large bank could easily create a reserve currency - say HSBC - which other bank currencies track, forex would then replaced by bank currency trades.

And who is going to trade something for that unbacked currency?
    5) nothing would stop currency inflation or asset bubbles, except law.

Nothing would stop inflation, but peoples desire to hold a currency that loses its value slowly would stop high inflation.

Please excuse the massive massive size of this post; I assure mods that, while there are non-Irish tangents, there are plenty of parts with Ireland in context ;) (even if not explicitly stated)
    A large market share is not how a monopoly is defined. You can't go around just making up definitions willy-nilly as you please. The hint as to what it means is in the word itself. Mono is derived from the Greek word for single. Notice how it isn't derived from the Greek word for really big?
    You're being pedantic over the semantics of the word here, and funnily, taking the most literal definition in Greek as the authoritative one, rather than that of an actual dictionary:
    1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monopoly
    A 90% market share would allow pretty effective manipulation of prices.

Lets try the more expansive Wikipedia definition:
    The verb "monopolize" refers to the process by which a company gains the ability to raise prices or exclude competitors.
    In law, a monopoly is business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices. Although monopolies may be big businesses, size is not a characteristic of a monopoly. A small business may still have the power to raise prices in a small industry (or market).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

By your definition a country could have one primary oil provider, in control of 99% of the market in a country, able to produce millions of barrels of oil a day, but if there was one other oil provider, only able to provide a single barrel a day, then there would be no monopoly.

Also, by legal definitions, they pretty typically determine it based on market share; for instance, in the US, monopoly conditions are determined (in law) by percent of market share. In the US this seems to be as little as 70%:
    http://www.antitrustlaws.org/Sherman-Antitrust-Law.html
    If a firm owns at least 70 percent of the market share they may be deemed a monopoly.

So, not only does the dictionary definition and other widely regarded definitions of monopoly consider market share, but also the legal interpretation of monopoly conditions (arguably the most important) consider it as well.
    Standard Oil wasn't a monopoly so it cannot be considered a good example of one. If Standard Oil is considered an example of a monopoly then it just goes to show how lazy the people that wrote that section of the article are.
    By accepted standards of definition of monopoly (including that of the dictionary) Standard Oil did constitute a monopoly; they are one of the most historic examples of monopoly around.

Is there any example in history outside of government-mandated monopoly that, by your standards, meets the definition of monopoly?
    These companies got their large market share by charging low prices, so effectively they were punished.
    Standard Oil was brought to court for a range of anti-competitive tactics, including preferential deals with railroad companies, buying up most of the market, and allegedly having people physically intimidate rival business.

If you submit that they were brought to court based on low prices, you need to provide some proof on this, because it's completely unsubstantiated.
    You're claiming that Standard Oil was a monopoly. Therefore Standard Oil was the oil market. Therefore Standard Oil is the only explanation for lower oil prices.
    You're putting arguments in my mouth, and imposing your view of monopoly on me when I explicitly stated my view of what constitutes a monopoly, and then using all of that as a bunch of straw men in an attempt to refute my argument.
    Does the fact that all the sources you can find contradict your position not tell you something? It's quite hilarious that you then claim that they are engaging in revisionist history. Are you sure it isn't you that is doing so?
    Again you're selectively misrepresenting my words: "In my searches for information about Standard Oil, it's interesting that the majority of the articles I can find on Google are from Libertarian sites".
    If they didn't have those low prices they wouldn't have become a monopoly therefore they are getting punished for having those low prices.
    So a company can be justified in maintaining a monopoly by your standards?
    I think they are an acceptable price to pay.
    Right, so you think social segregation is an acceptable price to pay for having private education in the country, and all of the downsides that entails.

These consequences could include:
    Creaming off of easy to teach students, and resulting segregation of more expensive to teach students; this includes students that have minor mental or physical ailments that make them more expensive to teach, not just those with severe problems. This creates a whole new societal exclusion of particular people (and is unacceptable in my view).

Giving private educational institutes the right (not just ability, but explicit right) to discriminate against people of a particular social background, race, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status...just, anything basically.

Arguably, this could lead to a society where the poor and disadvantaged (most particularly the disabled, of various degrees) are not just excluded from normal school life (with corresponding effects on social life), but (through social distance) possibly even vilified and looked down on too.

More expensive to teach students being concentrated in schools where the cost of their education is far higher compared to the benefit they receive compared to other schools, in a massively disproportionate fashion.

Among more issues.
    What makes you think the bank is going to stop playing fair?

Are you going to store gold with a bank with an adjustable exchange rate or a bank that allows you to reclaim the gold you deposited in full?
    A bank will stop playing fair because there is an enormous amount of money to be made.
    Yes because business owners are well known for their desire to bankrupt their own businesses
    If there is huge personal gain to be had from it, without legal consequence, then obviously yes.

Why would somebody bank with that bank in the first place? Why would anyone ever trust the owner of that bank again?
    Nobody would know that the bank was a risk in the first place, that is the point. Once all the reserves are depleted, the bank would be gone and nobody would trust it thereafter, but it's too late then because the gold is gone.

There is no proposed solution to this method of unprovable fraud in a Libertarian system, so this could happen with any bank, at any time.
    So in other words it was because they engaged in inflationary policies in the first place that they found themselves in a sticky pickle?
    In the case of the US, no; in the case of Britain, they found themselves in a "sticky pickle" because they had to fund a war, and then made the foolish attempt at going back to the gold standard.
    It's entirely possible that those majority of economists are wrong. Don't forget that a huge majority of economists accepted the view that a minimum wage was bad for low wage workers. A view you are arguing against right at this moment in another thread on this forum.
    I do believe that occasionally shocks to the economy such as natural disasters can cause economic downturns.
    These two points are inherently contradictory.
    People will only stop investing if money is increasing in value faster than assets. In the long run that won't happen.

They also can't hold money for ever, eventually they will need to consume something.

If this all aids to the accumulation of wealth, then how is it a bad thing? Or is making people poor a good thing now?
    The problem is it turns the economic balance on its head, inherently disincentivizes (though does not eliminate) investments, and punishes borrowers, whilst even more greatly rewarding lenders.

If rich people are made gradually poorer through inflation, then that is a good thing yes, as it incentivizes them to invest their money lest it lose value sitting idle.
    Rich people generally tend to hold their wealth in assets such as stocks or bonds as opposed to money. Poor people on the other hand are more likely to hold their wealth in money. So if anything a deflationary environment will favour the poor.
    The poor will be the ones who have to take out loans and go into debt to get by, which means they will be disproportionately harmed by it, because the value they get out of their loaned money is less than the value they have to pay back (plus interest).

Anyway, think this part has gotten pretty far off topic now.
    Calling Austrian economics or libertarianism a cult is hardly a good critique of either. In fact it is quite pathetic. It's also quite ridiculous to claim that libertarianism was born out of marginalism considering libertarianism is just the modern form of classical liberalism which was around long before marginalism was first developed.

Marginalism isn't only accepted by the Austrian school. It is accepted by every school of economic thought and even some marxists.
    :) Well my post replying to SupaNova covered this well; his critique is a lot more thorough than labeling Libertarianism a cult.

If they realised they were going to become a monopoly and decided to raise prices they would be punished for price gouging. If they decided to withhold supply to create a shortage of their product they would be punished for that to. The logical approach is to continue to charge low prices and increase market share. Therefore they are being punished for charging low prices when they are eventually punished for having a dominant market share.
    As I explained earlier, the court case was against a wide range of anti-competitive practices. I've moved this to the end of my post because it is such a large reply on this point (warranting a whole other post in itself probably).

Here is a collection of select quotes from the case of Standard Oil Vs US:
    The bill was divided into thirty numbered sections, and sought relief upon the theory that the various defendants were engaged in conspiring

"to restrain the trade and commerce in petroleum, commonly called 'crude oil,' in refined oil, and in the other products of petroleum, among the several States and Territories of the United States and the District of Columbia and with foreign nations, and to monopolize the said commerce."
    "That during said first period, the said individual defendants, in connection with the Standard Oil Company of Ohio, purchased and obtained interests through stock ownership and otherwise in, and entered into agreements with, various persons, firms, corporations, and limited partnerships engaged in purchasing, shipping, refining, and selling petroleum and its products among the various States for the purpose of fixing the price of crude and refined oil and the products thereof, limiting the production thereof, and controlling the transportation therein, and thereby restraining trade and commerce among the several States, and monopolizing the said commerce."
    To establish this charge, it was averred that John D. and William Rockefeller and several other named individuals, who, prior to 1870, composed three separate partnerships engaged in the business of refining crude oil and shipping its products in interstate commerce, organized in the year 1870 a corporation known as the Standard Oil Company of Ohio and transferred to that company the business of the said partnerships, the members thereof becoming, in proportion to their prior ownership, stockholders in the corporation. It was averred that the other individual defendants soon afterwards became participants in the illegal combination and either transferred property to the corporation or to individuals to be held for the benefit of all parties in interest in proportion to their respective interests in the combination; that is, in proportion to their stock ownership in the Standard Oil Company of Ohio. By the means thus stated, it was charged that, by the year 1872, the combination had acquired substantially all but three or four of the thirty-five or forty oil refineries located in Cleveland, Ohio. By reason of the power thus obtained and in further execution of the intent and purpose to restrain trade and to monopolize the commerce, interstate as well as intrastate, in petroleum and its products, the bill alleged that the combination and its members obtained large preferential rates and rebates in many and devious ways over their competitors from various railroad companies, and that, by means of the advantage thus obtained, many, if not virtually all, competitors were forced either to become members of the combination or were driven out of business, and thus, it was alleged, during the period in question , the following results were brought about: a. that the combination, in addition to the refineries in Cleveland which it had acquired as previously stated, and which it had either dismantled to limit production or continued to operate, also from time to time acquired a large number of refineries of crude petroleum, situated in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and elsewhere. The properties thus acquired, like those previously obtained, although belonging to and being held for the benefit of the combination, were ostensibly divergently controlled, some of them being put in the name of the Standard Oil Company of Ohio, some in the name of corporations or limited partnerships affiliated therewith, or some being left in the name of the original owners, who had become stockholders in the Standard Oil Company of Ohio, and thus members of the alleged illegal combination. b. That the combination had obtained control of the pipelines available for transporting oil from the oil fields to the refineries in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Titusville, Philadelphia, New York and New Jersey. c. That the combination during the period named had obtained a complete mastery over the oil industry, controlling 90 percent of the business of producing, shipping, refining and selling petroleum and its products, and thus was able to fix the price of crude and refined petroleum and to restrain and monopolize all interstate commerce in those products.
    For the stocks and property so acquired, the trustees issued trust certificates. It was alleged that, in 1888, the trustees

"unlawfully controlled the stock and ownership of various corporations and limited partnerships engaged in such purchase and transportation, refining, selling, and shipping of oil,"
    a decree adjudging the trust agreement to be void, not only because the Standard Oil Company of Ohio was a party to the same, but also because the agreement, in and of itself,
    was in restraint of trade and amounted to the creation of an unlawful monopoly. It was alleged that shortly after this decision, seemingly for the purpose of complying therewith, voluntary proceedings were had apparently to dissolve the trust, but that these proceedings were a subterfuge and a sham, because they simply amounted to a transfer of the stock held by the trust in 64 of the companies which it controlled to some of the remaining 20 companies, it having controlled before the decree 84 in all, thereby, while seemingly in part giving up its dominion, yet in reality preserving the same by means of the control of the companies as to which it had retained complete authority.
    Without attempting to follow the elaborate averments on these subjects spread over fifty-seven pages of the printed record, it suffices to say that such averments may properly be grouped under the following heads: rebates, preferences and other discriminatory practises in favor of the combination by railroad companies; restraint and monopolization by control of pipelines, and unfair practises against competing pipelines; contracts with competitors in restraint of trade; unfair methods of competition, such as local price-cutting at the points where necessary to suppress competition; espionage of the business of competitors, the operation of bogus independent companies, and payment of rebates on oil, with the like intent; the division of the United States into districts and the limiting of the operations of the various subsidiary corporations as to such districts so that competition in the sale of petroleum products between such corporations had been entirely eliminated and destroyed, and, finally, reference was made to what was alleged to be the "enormous and unreasonable profits" earned by the Standard Oil Trust and the Standard Oil Company as a result of the alleged monopoly, which presumably was averred as a means of reflexly inferring the scope and power acquired by the alleged combination.
    https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/221/1/case.html
    It goes into quite a lot of detail at-length.

Some of the more important bits (from the actual judgment and ruling of the case, rather than the precursory allegations above):
    By the decree which was entered, it was adjudged that the combining of the stocks of various companies in the hands of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey in 1899 constituted a combination in restraint of trade and also an attempt to monopolize and a monopolization under § 2 of the Anti-Trust Act. The decree was against seven individual defendants, the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, thirty-six domestic companies, and one foreign company which the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey controls by stock ownership; these 38 corporate defendants being held to be parties to the combination found to exist.
    Beyond dispute, the proofs establish substantially as alleged in the bill the following facts:
    [...]
    2. The organization of the Standard Oil Trust of 1882, and also a previous one of 1879, not referred to in the bill, and the proceedings in the Supreme Court of Ohio, culminating in a decree based upon the finding that the company was unlawfully a party to that trust; the transfer by the trustees of stocks in certain of the companies; the contempt proceedings; and, finally, the increase of the capital of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey and the acquisition by that company of the shares of the stock of the other corporations in exchange for its certificates.
    the court below held that the acts and dealings established by the
    proof operated to destroy the "potentiality of competition" which otherwise would have existed to such an extent as to cause the transfers of stock which were made to the New Jersey corporation and the control which resulted over the many and various subsidiary corporations to be a combination or conspiracy in restraint of trade in violation of the first section of the act, but also to be an attempt to monopolize and a monopolization bringing about a perennial violation of the second section.
    the unification of power and control over petroleum and its products which was the inevitable result of the combining in the New Jersey corporation by the increase of its stock and the transfer to it of the stocks of so many other corporations, aggregating so vast a capital, gives rise, in and of itself, in the absence of countervailing circumstances, to say the least, to the prima facie presumption of intent and purpose to maintain the dominancy over the oil industry, not as a result of normal methods of industrial development, but by new means of combination which were resorted to in order that greater power might be added than would otherwise have arisen had normal methods been followed, the whole with the purpose of excluding others from the trade, and thus centralizing in the combination a perpetual control of the movements of petroleum and its products in the channels of interstate commerce.
    [...]
    the prima facie presumption of intent to restrain trade, to monopolize, and to bring about monopolization resulting from the act of expanding the stock of the New Jersey corporation and vesting it with such vast control of the oil industry, is made conclusive by considering, 1, the conduct of the persons or corporations who were mainly instrumental in bringing about the extension of power in the New Jersey corporation before the consummation of that result and prior to the formation of the trust agreements of 1879 and 1882 2, by considering the proof as to what was done under those agreements and the acts which immediately preceded the vesting of power in the New Jersey corporation, as well as by weighing the modes in which the power vested in that corporation has been exerted and the results which have arisen from it.
    we think no disinterested mind can survey the period in question without being irresistibly driven to the conclusion that the very genius for commercial development and organization which it would seem was manifested from the beginning soon begot an intent and purpose to exclude others which was frequently manifested by acts and dealings wholly inconsistent with the theory that they were made with the single conception of advancing the development of business power by usual methods, but which, on the contrary, necessarily involved the intent to drive others from the field, and to exclude them from their right to trade, and thus accomplish the mastery which was the end in view.
    The exercise of the power which resulted from that organization fortifies the foregoing conclusions, since the development which came, the acquisition here and there which ensued of every efficient means by which competition could have been asserted, the slow but resistless methods which followed by which means of transportation were absorbed and brought under control,
    the system of marketing which was adopted by which the country was divided into districts and the trade in each district in oil was turned over to a designated corporation within the combination and all others were excluded, all lead the mind up to a conviction of a purpose and intent which we think is so certain as practically to cause the subject not to be within the domain of reasonable contention.
    The inference that no attempt to monopolize could have been intended, and that no monopolization resulted from the acts complained of, since it is established that a very small percentage of the crude oil produced was controlled by the combination, is unwarranted.
    As substantial power over the crude product was the inevitable result of the absolute control which existed over the refined product, the monopolization of the one carried with it the power to control the other, and if the inferences which this situation suggests were developed, which we deem it unnecessary to do, they might well serve to add additional cogency to the presumption of intent to monopolize which we have found arises from the unquestioned proof on other subjects.
    That's a pretty definite ruling, outlining a myriad of issues; it's simply false to say they were punished for having low prices.

Please excuse the massive massive size of this post; I assure mods that, while there are non-Irish tangents, there are plenty of parts with Ireland in context ;) (even if not explicitly stated)

You're being pedantic over the semantics of the word here, and funnily, taking the most literal definition in Greek as the authoritative one, rather than that of an actual dictionary:
    1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monopoly
    A 90% market share would allow pretty effective manipulation of prices.

Well here's the definition from a different dictionary:
    The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service

Any market share could allow manipulation of prices. I'm currently selling petrol for €100 a litre. Sue me.
    Lets try the more expansive Wikipedia definition:
    The verb "monopolize" refers to the process by which a company gains the ability to raise prices or exclude competitors.
    In law, a monopoly is business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices. Although monopolies may be big businesses, size is not a characteristic of a monopoly. A small business may still have the power to raise prices in a small industry (or market).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

So in other words you're skipping over the economics definition:
    In economics, a monopoly is a single seller.

Or to take the definition from page 346 of Paul Krugman's textbook Economics: European Edition (emphasis mine):
    A monopolist is a firm that is the only producer of a good. When an industry is controlled by a monopolist, it is known as a monopoly.

By your definition a country could have one primary oil provider, in control of 99% of the market in a country, able to produce millions of barrels of oil a day, but if there was one other oil provider, only able to provide a single barrel a day, then there would be no monopoly.

I don't know how a firm could have a 1% market share by selling one barrel of oil a day when its competitor is producing millions. I doubt it would be actually possible to only produce one barrel a day either.
    Also, by legal definitions, they pretty typically determine it based on market share; for instance, in the US, monopoly conditions are determined (in law) by percent of market share. In the US this seems to be as little as 70%:
    http://www.antitrustlaws.org/Sherman-Antitrust-Law.html
    If a firm owns at least 70 percent of the market share they may be deemed a monopoly.

Why is it 70%? Why not 80%, 60% or 69.99999999999999%?
    So, not only does the dictionary definition and other widely regarded definitions of monopoly consider market share, but also the legal interpretation of monopoly conditions (arguably the most important) consider it as well.

The dictionary, the literal meaning of the word and the economic definition all concur that a monopoly means only one seller. They don't concur with some wishy washy definition made up in order to give useless government bureaucrats something to do.
    By accepted standards of definition of monopoly (including that of the dictionary) Standard Oil did constitute a monopoly; they are one of the most historic examples of monopoly around.

No, Standard Oil wasn't a monopoly because it did not control the entire market.
    Is there any example in history outside of government-mandated monopoly that, by your standards, meets the definition of monopoly?

Any company that controls 100% of a market is a monopoly. So if there is a company that meets that definition then it's a monopoly.
    Standard Oil was brought to court for a range of anti-competitive tactics, including preferential deals with railroad companies, buying up most of the market, and allegedly having people physically intimidate rival business.

If you submit that they were brought to court based on low prices, you need to provide some proof on this, because it's completely unsubstantiated.

They were brought to court because of the large market share that they got through charging low prices. Low prices that they managed to offer by engaging in these so called "anti-competitive" practices. When in fact it was their competitors that were anti-competitive by refusing to compete. Their competitors were very reminiscent of the child that takes up the ball and runs home because they are losing.
    You're putting arguments in my mouth, and imposing your view of monopoly on me when I explicitly stated my view of what constitutes a monopoly, and then using all of that as a bunch of straw men in an attempt to refute my argument.

No you are mistaken, I used the actual definition of a monopoly, not a made up one that is self evidently wrong.
    Again you're selectively misrepresenting my words: "In my searches for information about Standard Oil, it's interesting that the majority of the articles I can find on Google are from Libertarian sites".

Yes, libertarian sites that are busy trying to correct many of the wrong arguments that people like you are making.
    So a company can be justified in maintaining a monopoly by your standards?

Obviously. As long as a company achieves monopoly status through its own abilities then there is nothing wrong with it.
    Right, so you think social segregation is an acceptable price to pay for having private education in the country, and all of the downsides that entails.

Yes.
    These consequences could include:
    Creaming off of easy to teach students, and resulting segregation of more expensive to teach students; this includes students that have minor mental or physical ailments that make them more expensive to teach, not just those with severe problems. This creates a whole new societal exclusion of particular people (and is unacceptable in my view).

Giving private educational institutes the right (not just ability, but explicit right) to discriminate against people of a particular social background, race, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status...just, anything basically.

Arguably, this could lead to a society where the poor and disadvantaged (most particularly the disabled, of various degrees) are not just excluded from normal school life (with corresponding effects on social life), but (through social distance) possibly even vilified and looked down on too.

So because people go to different schools they are going to be vilified for their entire lives?
    More expensive to teach students being concentrated in schools where the cost of their education is far higher compared to the benefit they receive compared to other schools, in a massively disproportionate fashion.

Among more issues.

Yes because god forbid that people actually pay the true cost of what they get.
    A bank will stop playing fair because there is an enormous amount of money to be made.

Why would people bank with a bank that isn't going to play fair?
    If there is huge personal gain to be had from it, without legal consequence, then obviously yes.

There isn't any huge gain to be had by making a business go bankrupt. Considering owners have their shares in a business completely wiped out when that business goes bankrupt there is in fact a huge price to pay for going bankrupt.
    Nobody would know that the bank was a risk in the first place, that is the point. Once all the reserves are depleted, the bank would be gone and nobody would trust it thereafter, but it's too late then because the gold is gone.

There is no proposed solution to this method of unprovable fraud in a Libertarian system, so this could happen with any bank, at any time.

If the gold is gone then the bank owner can sue the other businesses for fraud. If he did not do that, then the depositors would sue him for fraud. So no it would not happen.
    In the case of the US, no; in the case of Britain, they found themselves in a "sticky pickle" because they had to fund a war, and then made the foolish attempt at going back to the gold standard.

So in other words it was governments fault yet again.
    These two points are inherently contradictory.

How so? I don't see how claiming economists could be wrong on something and claiming that an economy could occasionally experience a downturn are in anyway related, never mind contradictory.
    The problem is it turns the economic balance on its head, inherently disincentivizes (though does not eliminate) investments, and punishes borrowers, whilst even more greatly rewarding lenders.

How does it disincentivise investment?

Also, so what if it punishes borrowers?
    If rich people are made gradually poorer through inflation, then that is a good thing yes, as it incentivizes them to invest their money lest it lose value sitting idle.

Why is it a good thing to deliberately make people poorer?

Rich people do not leave their money sit idle. That is kind of how they become rich in the first place.

Rich people do on the other hand generally get their hands on new money first. Thereby getting the most benefit from inflation. JP Morgan and the other captains of industry didn't help set up the federal reserve to help the poor at the expense of themselves.
    The poor will be the ones who have to take out loans and go into debt to get by, which means they will be disproportionately harmed by it, because the value they get out of their loaned money is less than the value they have to pay back (plus interest).

The poor don't have to take out loans to get by. They could save up if they wanted to but they don't. That is why they are poor.
    :) Well my post replying to SupaNova covered this well; his critique is a lot more thorough than labeling Libertarianism a cult.

Sorry, he also claims that Austrian Economics is flawed because it adopts marginalism into its economic teachings. Such a well thought out critique.
    As I explained earlier, the court case was against a wide range of anti-competitive practices. I've moved this to the end of my post because it is such a large reply on this point (warranting a whole other post in itself probably).

Here is a collection of select quotes from the case of Standard Oil Vs US:

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/221/1/case.html
    It goes into quite a lot of detail at-length.

Some of the more important bits (from the actual judgment and ruling of the case, rather than the precursory allegations above):

That's a pretty definite ruling, outlining a myriad of issues; it's simply false to say they were punished for having low prices.

All the acts they were punished for were acts undertaken in order to ensure low prices. So it is quite fair to claim that they were punished for low prices.

Well here's the definition from a different dictionary...
    You can't pick and choose your definitions; you have a pedantically and ridiculously strict definition of monopoly, completely out of line with its practical usage.
    I don't know how a firm could have a 1% market share by selling one barrel of oil a day when its competitor is producing millions. I doubt it would be actually possible to only produce one barrel a day either.
    Yes well done with the not-so-subtle sidestepping of the point. Your definition of monopoly is so strict, my (deliberately extreme) example is not a monopoly to you.

I'm not really going to follow lines of discussion anymore where there's a disagreement over it's definition, because it's completely divorced not just from its dictionary definition, but from application in reality.

In fact, your entire reply to my post seems to selectively ignore the point behind basically every argument I made (and my post was backed extremely well when it came to the Standard Oil case), and makes some ridiculously disingenuous arguments "All the acts they were punished for were acts undertaken in order to ensure low prices. So it is quite fair to claim that they were punished for low prices.", so I'm not going to waste time replying to you from here on.

You can't pick and choose your definitions; you have a pedantically and ridiculously strict definition of monopoly, completely out of line with its practical usage.

If I can't pick and choose my definitions then why are you allowed to? Considering my usage of the word matches up with the economics, literal and a dictionary definition then I feel that I am fully entitled to use it in that way.
    Yes well done with the not-so-subtle sidestepping of the point. Your definition of monopoly is so strict, my (deliberately extreme) example is not a monopoly to you.

I'm not really going to follow lines of discussion anymore where there's a disagreement over it's definition, because it's completely divorced not just from its dictionary definition, but from application in reality.

In fact, your entire reply to my post seems to selectively ignore the point behind basically every argument I made (and my post was backed extremely well when it came to the Standard Oil case), and makes some ridiculously disingenuous arguments "All the acts they were punished for were acts undertaken in order to ensure low prices. So it is quite fair to claim that they were punished for low prices.", so I'm not going to waste time replying to you from here on.

Well if you are going to be using extreme examples maybe you should use ones that might actually occur in reality.

As for Standard Oil, what was wrong with anything that they did? Its hardly Standard Oil's fault that none of their competitors did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Loire wrote: »
    Hi everybody.
    The provision of education in rural Ireland

As I understand it Libertarianism would favour the removal by the state in providing education. How would this work in a small, West of Ireland area where there is currently, say, a 2-teacher school with 20 children? Surely this would not be profitable for a private organisation?

Hopefully, this debate will stay on topic and we can have a good debate. Once we reach a consensus (hopefully), perhaps we can then debate how something else would work in Ireland.

Thanks!

Loire.

if numbers of students are too small to have economical viable school state or private, distance learning or home schooling is also an option.

when the penal laws banned catholic schools people organised their own schools
    Hedge school
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_school
    "While the "hedge school" label suggests the classes always took place outdoors (next to a hedgerow), classes were sometimes held in a house or barn. Subjects included primarily basic Irish language grammar, English and maths (the fundamental "three Rs"). In some schools the Irish bardic tradition, Latin, history and home economics were also taught. Reading was generally based on chapbooks, sold at fairs, typically with exciting stories of well-known adventurers and outlaws. Payment was generally made per subject, and brighter pupils would often compete locally with their teachers."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

An anecdote is not a statistic. Prior to free education, most people were not educated.

Belfast wrote: »
    if numbers of students are too small to have economical viable school state or private, distance learning or home schooling is also an option.

when the penal laws banned catholic schools people organised their own schools
    Hedge school
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_school
    "While the "hedge school" label suggests the classes always took place outdoors (next to a hedgerow), classes were sometimes held in a house or barn. Subjects included primarily basic Irish language grammar, English and maths (the fundamental "three Rs"). In some schools the Irish bardic tradition, Latin, history and home economics were also taught. Reading was generally based on chapbooks, sold at fairs, typically with exciting stories of well-known adventurers and outlaws. Payment was generally made per subject, and brighter pupils would often compete locally with their teachers."

So the argument for libertarian schooling is hedge schools? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

While online education is (in my opinion) going to take over as the primary form of education in the coming decades, it's not yet at a stage where wide-scale adoption is ready; public schools should definitely stay funded during the transition to online learning (the two aren't mutually exclusive, as online learning is primarily a supplementary learning right now).

The primary solution presented against public schools so far isn't online education, but a full switchover to private schools which function in effectively exactly the same way as public schools do now, except in how they are funded.

There isn't any indication how those schools would tackle literacy issues in any way different to public schools, or why such a massively drastic change in the entire educational system is a better way of solving the problem than letting the government work at it; an all-private system could easily make the problem worse by focusing disadvantaged (economically and developmentally) students into poorer schools, where there is not enough money to afford proper education.

The government (since that 2009 report) has since launched a plan/program for improving literacy levels, which we won't find out the results of until the OECD's next study in 2015 (upon a brief look, finding more recent non-OECD studies is difficult).

An anecdote is not a statistic. Prior to free education, most people were not educated.

It depends on what country we are talking about and what kind of education.
    you are talking about.
    England before free education less people were able to read or write.
    there is more to education than reading and writing.
    Normally children learned their parents profession reading was not always needed for this.
    In Ireland where were high levels of literacy during the time of the hedge schools.

So the argument for libertarian schooling is hedge schools? :rolleyes:

That is not what I said.
    I gave hedge schools as an example of school people set up themselves without the help of the state, when the state was banning Catholics from getting and education.
    The point was education is possible without the help of the state even in difficult conditions.

Before "free education" most people did get an education. Also the vast majority of people were literate as well.

• Advertisement

Before "free education" most people did get an education. Also the vast majority of people were literate as well.

Are you people capable of reading a history book?

Advertisement