Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Leinster vs Edinburgh, RDS, 13th Aprill, KO 7:45pm TG4/BBC Alba

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I get the impression that heaslip is gearing up to take over the captaincy next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

durkadurka wrote: »
    I get the impression that heaslip is gearing up to take over the captaincy next year.

I think so too. Cullen may well not be first choice next season and a new voice wouldn't be a bad thing, keep things fresh.

When you think about it there are not many people who you would have as club captain. Lots of leaders in the team but being a club captain is different. People who potentially could be a club captain would be (imo):

Cullen - Could stay on but wouldn't be surprised to see a change
    O'Driscoll - Ruled out for obvious reasons
    Heaslip - Best option imo
    Jennings - Probably won't start the big games next season
    Kearney - Too early for him. But he has stepped up as a leader this season. Maybe in the future he could, but not many FBs captain a side.
    Sexton - Has enough to be doing.
    Nacewa - Leads incredibly by example but I just don't see him as a captain kinda guy. Mightn't be around too much longer as well due to the new rules.

Can't think of any anyone else as an option. I think Heaslip could revel in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is it a bit strange not to give either Cullen or Thorne or both at least a spot on the bench? I realise Schmidt knows what he's at, I just wonder what his reasons are. I would have thought both could use game time, Leo after a lay off, and Brad to get more used to the Leinster systems.

Don't question joe.
    In fact wash your mouth out and apologise now.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I think so too. Cullen may well not be first choice next season and a new voice wouldn't be a bad thing, keep things fresh.

When you think about it there are not many people who you would have as club captain. Lots of leaders in the team but being a club captain is different. People who potentially could be a club captain would be (imo):

Kearney - Too early for him. But he has stepped up as a leader this season. Maybe in the future he could, but not many FBs captain a side.
    Nacewa - Leads incredibly by example but I just don't see him as a captain kinda guy. Mightn't be around too much longer as well due to the new rules.

Can't think of any anyone else as an option. I think Heaslip could revel in the role.

A captain should never have double digits on his jersey, too far away from the action at scrum-time and line outs

• Advertisement

Eh BOD?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Eh BOD?
    Is very luck to have a pack-leader in POC who does a lot of the leadership in the forwards and often accompanies BOD when BOD has to talk to referees regarding scrums.

Its doable as long as there is a very strong pack leader or vice captain in forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I think it needs to be someone who will start the majority of games as Heaslip will miss out for 6 Nations and Autumn Internationals. I would plump for someone like Nacewa, Strauss, McLaughlin or Jennings

I think it needs to be someone who will start the majority of games as Heaslip will miss out for 6 Nations and Autumn Internationals. I would plump for someone like Nacewa, Strauss, McLaughlin or Jennings
    Strauss will be IQ so will likely miss games during 6Ns and AIs.

I don't think having someone involved with Ireland is a bad thing. We managed with Cullen in Ireland squads for a few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Don't question joe.
    In fact wash your mouth out and apologise now.

You have to ask questions when seeking enlightenment :D

Neither took part in the open training session on Wednesday either

• Advertisement

Heaslip would be guaranteed starter for all big games.

They're old. I wouldn't read anything else into it.

I have to imagine that they are being rested. If the Ulster match is as seems likely going to be a full dress rehearsal for the SF Joe will likely want to play both players against Ulster. Neither lock is exactly young and both could probably do with a rest week.

Strauss will be IQ so will likely miss games during 6Ns and AIs.

I don't think having someone involved with Ireland is a bad thing. We managed with Cullen in Ireland squads for a few years now

Has Strauss confirmed he'll play for Ireland? I was under the impression he was still undecided. Great news if he has though.

Having a captain in Ireland squads is not a bad thing but I would rather see someone who is always in the Leinster 22 and can lead week in week out and isn't under the player management scheme. Nacewa has arguably been our best player over the past couple of years, although to be fair, I'm not sure of his captaincy ability. McLaughlin and Jennings are always involved, consistently perform well and have led the side before. If you watched them while they captained they marshalled the pack very well and guided the younger players

Has Strauss confirmed he'll play for Ireland? I was under the impression he was still undecided. Great news if he has though.
    Yeah he has been open that he is willing to play for Ireland. He turned down a chance to play for 'European Springboks' in a trial match for the RWC squad. He trained with the Ireland squad during the six nations. He has spoken about how he feels at home in Ireland.

Yeah he has been open that he is willing to play for Ireland. He turned down a chance to play for 'European Springboks' in a trial match for the RWC squad. He trained with the Ireland squad during the six nations. He has spoken about how he feels at home in Ireland.

Good stuff, him training with the squad shows that Kidney will (hopefully) consider him for selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Good stuff, him training with the squad shows that Kidney will (hopefully) consider him for selection

Kidney to put someone new into squad??? no chance.....

Next thing we will see loads of Ulster players been rewarded for there form.....

Or even, ROG been dropped.....

Of course hell will freeze over first.....

Strauss deserves a chance but it won't happen.

As has been discussed I don't think its a problem having your captain away with Ireland for parts of the season. Another thing is it gives other players the opportunity to captain the side. Ruddock, O'Brien, Jennings and others wouldn't have had the experience of captaining over the last few seasons if Cullen, and BOD before him, were around all the time. Being involved in Ireland shouldn't be a consideration imo.

Also on Nacewa, has he ever actually captained Leinster before? Would be a big jump to make him the permanent captain if there are others there with much more experience. And to have your first captaining gig from way out on the wing/full back. That'd be rough.

Jennings won't be starting the big games, and could potentially be overtaken by Ryan next year.

I think it has to be given to someone who, bar a slump in form, will be a starter in the first team. That narrows it down quite a bit.

And anyways, Heaslip would make a great captain.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Strauss deserves a chance but it won't happen.

He'll be capped in the AIs I think. A new hooker who starts for one of the best clubs sides in Europe will be at least looked at. To tie him to Ireland if anything else. Don't think he'll start a game though, an appearance or two from the bench.

Over the next few seasons, if Kidney's still in charge, I can see him having a tough time getting ahead of Cronin tbh, let alone challenging Best.

If we had a progressive coach in charge we could use Strauss and Best in a tag team like Best and Flannery.

/OT

Hopefully, but he needs to be more vocal, the match I watched recently with him captain where he failed to stand up was against Cardiff, the ref was all over the place and Heaslip didn't say much. If it was Cullen he would be in his ear all the time trying to get the ref to give them a chance. Needs to bring this into his game. Once he does that would be great captain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

As has been discussed I don't think its a problem having your captain away with Ireland for parts of the season. Another thing is it gives other players the opportunity to captain the side. Ruddock, O'Brien, Jennings and others wouldn't have had the experience of captaining over the last few seasons if Cullen, and BOD before him, were around all the time. Being involved in Ireland shouldn't be a consideration imo.

Also on Nacewa, has he ever actually captained Leinster before? Would be a big jump to make him the permanent captain if there are others there with much more experience. And to have your first captaining gig from way out on the wing/full back. That'd be rough.

Jennings won't be starting the big games, and could potentially be overtaken by Ryan next year.

I think it has to be given to someone who, bar a slump in form, will be a starter in the first team. That narrows it down quite a bit.

Yes, Nacewa has captained the side at least once last season, one of those league games when there was one or two senior guys babysitting the nippers.

Agree with the rest of it, Heaslip is the prime candidate from the outside looking in, suppose it depends on how the squad view him but the fact that he is regularly captain in Leo's absence is a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Strauss will pick up a cap in autumn even if it's only 2 minutes against a second tier nation. The IRFU will want to lock him down and ensure that he's an option for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hopefully, but he needs to be more vocal, the match I watched recently with him captain where he failed to stand up was against Cardiff, the ref was all over the place and Heaslip didn't say much. If it was Cullen he would be in his ear all the time trying to get the ref to give them a chance. Needs to bring this into his game. Once he does that would be great captain.

Agreed he needs to get more involved with the ref. It is something that is learned though and he will develop this skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The game is on TG4/BBC ALBA if someone wants to add it to the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

ongarite wrote: »

Has anyone much experience using the tg4 live player on their website? It seems to be not streaming for me right now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If we get the bonus point tonight, and Ospreys fail to get a bonus point win, we're guaranteed first... right? Or is my maths that bad?

On a related note, does anyone know where the nearest off license is to the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Not that I would at all be encouraging bringing booze in a bag to the match, but

There is a Spar in Ballsbridge that sells a very limited and very expensive range of wine and beer. Alternativly you can go up the lane beside Herbert park which brings you in about 5 min to the O'Briens in Donneybrook.

If we get the bonus point tonight, and Ospreys fail to get a bonus point win, we're guaranteed first... right? Or is my maths that bad?

On a related note, does anyone know where the nearest off license is to the RDS?

Donnybook village would be a good bet - Spar I think?
    If we better Ospreys result we are first yes. If we match it, its down to points difference ( where we are almost out of sight.)

ongarite wrote: »

Where is BBC Alba on Sky?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Not that I would at all be encouraging bringing booze in a bag to the match, but

There is a Spar in Ballsbridge that sells a very limited and very expensive range of wine and beer. Alternativly you can go up the lane beside Herbert park which brings you in about 5 min to the O'Briens in Donneybrook.

Yeah, very suprised Paddy Cullens didn't buy the lease on the building beside them that was vacant for about 6 months (used to be Sony store, becoming a Vodafone store now I think) and stick an offlicence in there. Bit of a trek to the nearest offo, Spar charge 4 euro per can or something crazy like that, and there's a major sporting stadium accross the road and around the corner!

Advertisement