Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film stars who hated each other on set

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

phil1nj wrote: »
    One story I heard was around the movie "The Score" , directed by Frank Oz and staring Brando, Robert DeNiro and Edward Norton. Apparently things got so bad between Brando and Oz that he ended up simply referring to him as Ms. Piggy when ever his name was mentioned.
    ha yeah ...he supposedly took exception of being directed by a muppeteer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

David O'Russell and Lily Tomlin on the set of I Heart Huckabees. Apparently he is one of the most difficult directors to work with so you could sub Lily Tomlin's name with just about anybodys, but there is famously leaked video of him going ape**** at Lily Tomlin:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Kevin Pollak and Stephen Baldwin on The Usual Suspects AFAIK. Can't remember the cause.

Kevin didn't like Stephen's attitude and with him being a Baldwin brother he would always try take him down a notch. The documentary on the DVD has it in their own words. May be on youtube. Kevin is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

DeNiro/Pacino in Heat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oliver Stone and James Woods were at each other's throats through most of the production of Salvador. I think they even got into a fist fight at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Funglegunk wrote: »
    David O'Russell and Lily Tomlin on the set of I Heart Huckabees. Apparently he is one of the most difficult directors to work with so you could sub Lily Tomlin's name with just about anybodys, but there is famously leaked video of him going ape**** at Lily Tomlin:

Didn't he get in a fist fight with George Cloony on the set of Three Kings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

DeNiro/Pacino in Heat

AFAIK, that wasnt any personal grievance, it was to make their scene in the coffee shop more natural as both are method actors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm pretty sure the DeNiro/Pacino thing is a myth. They only had a few scenes together in Heat and by all accounts they went smoothly.

There was a well known very heated rivalry between Robert Shaw & Richard Dreyfus in Jaws, apparently a few booze filled physical rows occurred because of the personality clash. Turned out well though because it helped the on screen tension the two had to create!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I think George Clooney said Jennifer Lopez was the msot difficult actor/actress he's ever worked with. They were in Out Of Sight together.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Might have been mentioned already, but wasn't there a lot of animosity between Jamie Foxx and pretty much everyone else who worked on Miami Vice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I'm pretty sure the DeNiro/Pacino thing is a myth. They only had a few scenes together in Heat and by all accounts they went smoothly.

On a sidenote the same guy who dubbed DeNiro for years into Italian also dubbed Al Pacino so Heat caused confusion among Italian audiences when they had to use a new voice actor for one of them.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Might have been mentioned already, but wasn't there a lot of animosity between Jamie Foxx and pretty much everyone else who worked on Miami Vice?

Well, Mann certainly wasn't happy with him. He stormed off the set in the Dominican Republic, returned to the US and refused to leave, forcing Mann to rewrite the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

FlashD wrote: »
    What's that based on? I have heard many actors say great things about Brando in interview, appartently he was bit of a prankster.

Well, I was exaggerating a little bit of course :pac:

But, from what I've heard, he could be quite the diva. Apparently while filming On The Waterfront he'd just show up for 3 hours or so and then leave when he felt like it.

He also hated Charlie Chaplin as a person.

While filming Apocalypse Now, Francis Ford Coppola found it too stressful to work with Brando. Because of this all of Brando's scenes were filmed by FFC's wife (AFAIK).

Those are just some examples of the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Val Kilmer's career has fallen apart because of what an absolute bastard he is to work with. It's hard to find anyone who has a good thing to say about him and most directors he worked with despised him. Schumacher called him "the most psychologically disturbed human being I have ever worked with" and on the set of Island of Dr. Moreau John Frankheimer screamed after shooting Kilmer's last scene "Cut! Now get that bastard off my set!". This was down to the manner in which Kilmer was on set and more importantly the way he abused everyone he worked tih. He burnt a camera operators face with a cigarette and while he denied it was intentional, everyone who saw it said that Kilmer did it deliberately. There's a great John Frankenheimer quote about how he will never climb Mount Everst and never again work with Kilmer as there isn't enough money in the world.

The Colin Farrell, Jamie Foxx hatred is one of the best. On set they pretty much refused to have scenes together and it all steams from Foxx's over inflated ego. When they were cast Farrell was the bigger star and as such he was being paid more. Then Foxx won his Oscar and he began making demands, Farrell took a pay cut as Foxx was demanding more money and then things got really out of hand. The cast and crew all flew commercially, well except for Foxx who insisted on private jets for him and his entourage. Both Mann and Farrell found his Beauvoir to be childish especially when every one of his jet trips took money out of the film. In the end Mann didn't get to make the film he set out as one day Foxx packed up and headed home after there was an incident on set. He then refused to travel anywhere outside the US meaning that Mann had to scrap the last third of the film he had wanted to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Kevin Smith and Bruce Willis.
    Apparently, when shooting on Cop Out came to a close, Willis wasn’t in attendance for the wrap party, and Smith toasted the movie saying:

“I want to thank everyone who worked on the film, except for Bruce Willis, who is a f*cking dick.”

http://collider.com/kevin-smith-bruce-willis-cop-out/71220/

Feckin hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The director Kevin Smyth hates Bruce Willis after working with him, surprised Willis not mentioned earlier as he's supposed to be a right miserable bollox.

Smith has really milked the Willis stuff for all it's worth. I assume he's going to have to go back and direct another movie at some point in order to get more stand-up material.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Smith has really milked the Willis stuff for all it's worth. I assume he's going to have to go back and direct another movie at some point in order to get more stand-up material.

he's a better comedian than a director though :pac:

didnt Jim Carrey infuriate a lot of people on Man On The Moon? although that could have just been him keeping in character for Kaufman

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

krudler wrote: »
    he's a better comedian than a director though :pac:

didnt Jim Carrey infuriate a lot of people on Man On The Moon? although that could have just been him keeping in character for Kaufman

Yup. Daniel Day Lewis is another one who's apparently hard to work with because of his dedication to character. Liam Neeson hates him because he refused to call him by his real name during Gangs of New York and when he was making There Will Be Blood the original actor who played Eli Sunday pulled out because he thought he was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't believe Smith's story for a second.

If Willis had've actually read the script to that dog turd he'd have destroyed way more pages than reputed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

DeNiro/Pacino in Heat

There was no animosity there at all. In fact, a few years later, they made another film together (the abysmal 'Righteous Kill').

Another one was Harrison Ford and Josh Hartnett on the set of Hollywood Homicide. Apparantly Hartnett had idolised Ford growing up, being a huge fan of the Star wars series of films, but afterwards he said he lost all respect for the guy and that he terrified him on set.

Also, Debra Winger was notoriously difficult to work with. She was outspoken in her dislike for Richard Gere on the set of 'An Officer and a Gentleman', saying it was the most miserable period of her life. She also famously didn't get along with Shirley Maclaine on the set of 'Terms of Endearment'.

When Maclaine won the Oscar for her role in the film, she held aloft the statuette and said "I deserve this!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yup. Daniel Day Lewis is another one who's apparently hard to work with because of his dedication to character. Liam Neeson hates him because he refused to call him by his real name during Gangs of New York and when he was making There Will Be Blood the original actor who played Eli Sunday pulled out because he thought he was insane

Didn't he apparently get people fired off the set of My Left Foot because he refused to break character and a couple of them refused to carry him around the set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Bill McKinney on the set of Deliverance freaked everyone out before the filming of the infamous "Squeal like a pig scene". Apparently McKinney had spent the day staring at Beatty and whispered to him "'I've always wanted to try that. Always have." before filming the rape scene. The crew and cast were convinced he was really going to try to hump Beatty. Reynolds ran on to the set to pull McKinney off him and he and Boorman had to hold McKinney down. When Beatty recovered from his shock he tried to bash McKinney head in with a stick. A case of method acting nearly going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

ps3lover wrote: »
    Didn't he get in a fist fight with George Cloony on the set of Three Kings?

According to cracked.com:
    During the production of Three Kings, he verbally and physically abused his crew members, at one point kicking a young extra on the ground while yelling at him. When George Clooney told Russell to cut it out, the director reacted like any mature 14-year-old would: by calling Clooney a pussy and daring him to throw a punch. Russell then lunged at Clooney and grabbed him by the throat -- which proved to be a mistake. Clooney went nuts and proceeded to thoroughly kick the director's ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Apparently the whole set was at war on Any Given Sunday:
    IMDB wrote:
    According to Jamie Foxx, LL Cool J took the scripted rivalry between their characters too seriously and punched Foxx in the face while filming the scene in which their characters fight. They then had an altercation in which Foxx received a cut on his head before the two were separated. Foxx spoke about the incident in Jamie Foxx: I Might Need Security. In 2006, Foxx announced that he and LL have become friends.

I know foxx and ll cool j didn't see eye to eye, but I think I read before alot of the cast had problems with each other. Probably made parts of the picture very easy to film.

Oliver Stone's sets are always chaotic. Joe Pesci called him a brilliant director but said he would never work with him again after what he put him through on JFK. On the commentary track Stone says he was taunting Pesci off-camera a lot of the time and that Pesci attacked him after one particular scene.

Isn't Tommy Lee Jones supposed to be a nightmare to work with as well? Schumacher said he was very cruel toward Jim Carrey during Batman Forever. It's also been speculated that this is the reason why he has a much reduced role in MIB III.

Oh and De Niro really didn't like Elizabeth McGovern in Once Upon a Time in a America. He thought she was miscast (which she was) and made no secret of it. It really comes through in the finished film and if not for the earlier scenes with Jennifer Connolly and the young actor playing De Niro you'd never believe that his character loved her.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I have a vague memory of reading that Shaw was delibertly a dick to him as their characters weren't supposed to like each other up until the bonding session on the boat, after that they got on well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

It's nice when there's some evidence to back this stuff up

Advertisement