Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadlight

Options
  • 12-04-2012 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,563 ✭✭✭✭

Yaaaaaaaa another Zombie game! Actually this looks brilliant. Like Flashback meets L4D.

EDIT: Ah BOLLIX!!! It's exclusive to XBLA. Absolute sickner, would have loved to played this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Oooh exclusive you say?! Sweet.(Actually might get mods to move it to xbox....I wouldn't mind leaving it here though). Yeah it definitely has that Flashback\Another World vibe about it (I'd say the control scheme is the exact same. The run up jump looks very familiar!).

A few little things to point out though, there weren't any animation effects for the zombies getting fried. Also having obstacles like cars in your way in a 2d universe when the character could easily just run around them is a bit annoying. But the art is beautiful and very engrossing. I like the title of the game floating above the road...that was a nice touch.

EDIT: Official site. http://www.deadlightgame.com/

And another link to gameplay and some story.

http://kotaku.com/5901216/never-take-for-granted-what-you-have-played-in-zombie-games
    ‘Never Take For Granted What You Have Played In Zombie Games’

Deadlight is a side-scrolling survival game set in a zombie-infested, ruined Cold War 1980s. It's inspired by writer Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." It plays a bit like Prince of Persia and Another World.

Deadlight was also the last game I saw at PAX East and one I had to shoot video of in a rush, before catching a ride home. So, please forgive the bad camera angle and the rough audio. I think the beauty of the game still manages to shine through.
    Thank you to Raul Rubio Munarriz, creative director of development studio Tequila Works, for talking a hurried, harried reporter through the game, while another PAX East attendee got a few minutes at the controls of the game.

Deadlight (official site here) will be out this summer for Xbox Live Arcade. It's not your ordinary zombie game. Melancholy as it is, it was a beautiful close to my PAX East.

Good game, good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-30-deadlight-review
    7/10
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/07/30/deadlight-review
    8.5/10

Eurogamer says 2 hours long, IGN says 5 hours, very little replay value, 1200 points? Hmm..... another underwhelming SOA 2012 game?

I'll admit that I read the Eurogamer review first, and it put me right off.
    Then I read IGN and I'm not so sure.

EG's comments say that the game clock will show 2 hours, but it actually takes at least double that with deaths, puzzles etc. If it's a great game, then it might be worth a punt.

Edit: ^^ chin_grin closed account? WTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,563 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr E wrote: »

Edit: ^^ chin_grin closed account? WTH?

Aaawwwwww bye chin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I'll admit that I read the Eurogamer review first, and it put me right off.
    Then I read IGN and I'm not so sure.

Then dont read the Destructoid or Kotaku reviews :P :
    Kotaku
    "Should you buy?" NO
    Destructoid
    4/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Boy am i glad I read those reviews, another for the deal of the week list there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

So that's both Summer of Arcade games I wanted that have turned out to be quite underwhelming :(

And thats 2 SOA titles I would have gotten day one definitely for PS3 and not bothered about either now (if they come to PS3 anyway)

Tried the demo there, whopping 2gb download. It looks fantastic and actually doesn't play as badly I was expecting, certainly more fluid than I was expecting.

Now i'm back on the fence as to whether to pick it up or not :(

I have it queued up for download. Looking forward to trying it out.

calex71 wrote: »
    Tried the demo there, whopping 2gb download. It looks fantastic and actually doesn't play as badly I was expecting, certainly more fluid than I was expecting.

Now i'm back on the fence as to whether to pick it up or not :(

Thats the problem, the reviews say the start is good but drags on later.....and the demo will just be the start of the game which is good but doesnt give any indication of the rest of the game.

Good thing I didnt buy me MSP beforehand :p

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Thats the problem, the reviews say the start is good but drags on later.....and the demo will just be the start of the game which is good but doesnt give any indication of the rest of the game.

Good thing I didnt buy me MSP beforehand :p

Bad thing I have them on my account ..... exactly the right amount and very little to play but old games I've been grinding out...... musssssttttt resisssttttt :o

Spare a thought for my dilemma. I have 1180 points in my account. :D

Ah nooooooooo :D

Hate when that happens :(

Think im at 1140, but have been tempted to blow 800 on Fez.

Couldn't resist it :o

I'm enjoying it , not the hardest game I've ever played but it does have without question the best achievement names in a game ever!!!!!!

Bit light so far in terms of the main characters back story and motivation, some of it feels like it was lifted from the waking dead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

If you are in the Rewards thingy, you might be due a 100msp deposit mid month, from the five surveys.

Then you can go on your spending spree.

I will be waiting for DotW for this one me thinks.

Couldn't resist it :o

I'm enjoying it , not the hardest game I've ever played but it does have without question the best achievement names in a game ever!!!!!!

Bit light so far in terms of the main characters back story and motivation, some of it feels like it was lifted from the waking dead too.

Let me know what you think over all when you're done and dusted with it. Was really hoping for a brilliant Shadow Complex-esque arcade game from this.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Let me know what you think over all when you're done and dusted with it. Was really hoping for a brilliant Shadow Complex-esque arcade game from this.

Finished it off 100% this morning, good not great. It's like ShadowComplex minus the complex bit even the zombies are called shadows. But there is no back tracking to old areas with new items in this.

Story is ok if a bit light and almost random at times and you can see the ending a mile off , I guessed the ending in the 1st act :D

Game clock showed 3 hours when all was done, I'd say I played more than that as I died a fair few times, but that does not mean it's difficult .... far from it. There is little or no challenge in it really.

It has zero replay value too, the collectibles are nearly all in the main path or not very will hidden, in the end I had to replay 2 bits via chapter select to get 4 I missed.

I enjoyed it but wish I'd held off until it was cheaper on sale but sure I couldn't hold me piddle :o

Finished it off 100% this morning, good not great. It's like ShadowComplex minus the complex bit even the zombies are called shadows. But there is no back tracking to old areas with new items in this.

Story is ok if a bit light and almost random at times and you can see the ending a mile off , I guessed the ending in the 1st act :D

Game clock showed 3 hours when all was done, I'd say I played more than that as I died a fair few times, but that does not mean it's difficult .... far from it. There is little or no challenge in it really.

It has zero replay value too, the collectibles are nearly all in the main path or not very will hidden, in the end I had to replay 2 bits via chapter select to get 4 I missed.

I enjoyed it but wish I'd held off until it was cheaper on sale but sure I couldn't hold me piddle :o

Yeah I think I'll hold off too if that's the case then, really wanted to buy this and THPS HD day 1, even bought points for that, but I'll be waiting until near enough next Summer when they come down in price or if they're ever released on disc along with 1 or 2 other games. Been a while since there's been a true stand out arcade title for me, although I guess we were blessed a bit for a while.

I played this last night and really liked the demo. The game is gorgeous and fun to play. The little white arrows remove any kind of challenge from the opening area (hmm.. what do I do now? Oh look, just jump towards the white arrow). I hope they stop doing that after the first area.

Not paying 1200 for this, but I will grab it when it is discounted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I played this last night and really liked the demo. The game is gorgeous and fun to play. The little white arrows remove any kind of challenge from the opening area (hmm.. what do I do now? Oh look, just jump towards the white arrow). I hope they stop doing that after the first area.

same here - 600 points is plenty for it!

there for the whole game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This is free with Games for Gold at the moment on the 360.

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. Gameplay felt a bit clumsy at times or maybe it was just me. Good ending though.
    I really like when a game avoids the happily ever after finale, especially when it is believable and fits in with the darkness of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Anyone still around finish this? Just completed the Directors Cut version on the PC and existence of the alternate ending aside I have so many questions... :o

Advertisement