Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

That the plural of bróg is brógaí. Still have a sea of first years every year who say brógaí.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

dory wrote: »
    That the plural of bróg is brógaí. Still have a sea of first years every year who say brógaí.
    Thats actually people thinking the singular is bróga I think. In my HL Irish class theres a guy and it said "Bhi broga nua aige" and he was like 'Haha, he has one new shoe' - no idea how people get is so wrong all the time really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Someone else mentioned this, but I had a geography teacher before that repeatedly taught us that there were 52 states in the United States. She also taught us that New York City was in the state of New Jersey.

Also that "taste map" thing is still in my Leaving Cert biology textbook, and it's a fairly new book as well.

The amount of people that believe that shíte about eating an average of 7 spiders in your sleep is astonishing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

leaveiton wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned this, but I had a geography teacher before that repeatedly taught us that there were 52 states in the United States. She also taught us that New York City was in the state of New Jersey.

there was a while in the 80s where peurto rico was thought to become one of the states, which would've made it 52.

to be really pedantic about it, there's 46 states, 4 commonwealths (kentucky, pennsylvania, massachusetts, virginia) and 1 district (washington DC)
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

**** gives you acne.

Have been walloping me cock since it first went hard and nary a zit has appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

We had a young enough teacher teaching us about the evils of drugs in the 90's. She told us that "heroin is so expensive that only rich people can afford to buy it." :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder how easy it is to get a degree sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

there was a while in the 80s where peurto rico was thought to become one of the states, which would've made it 52.

Eh, there're only 50 states.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Eh, there're only 50 states.

Are you forgetting the UK and Australia:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i've never been to America, but i'm getting drunk tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The amount of people that believe that shíte about eating an average of 7 spiders in your sleep is astonishing too.

Sure that'd mean that every night 49 billion spiders would get eaten. And that's only counting Human mouths. They'd just as likely crawl into every other kind of animal's mouths.

No matter how many of them there are I don't think they could survive that amount of random suicide. It'd be an awfully useless evolutionary adaptation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've thought about it for a while, and I enjoy the image of a cow contentedly munching away on a fox too much to let go of it.

So that settles it, someday soon I'm going to buy a couple of friesians and a load of foxes, and train one to eat the other. This shall be my legacy to you, people of Ireland.

You're welcome.

Having been an English teacher for a year now, I can sympathise with alot of these mistakes.. Once you're put on the spotlight and have a student question you, your mind sometimes pulls a complete blank and you end up blindly defending your point so that the students don't lose confidence in you.. At least I can blame grammar / pronunciation on casual use and accents. Must be alot tougher when you're a regular teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Gbear wrote: »
    Sure that'd mean that every night 49 billion spiders would get eaten.

I think it's 7 over the course of your life, not every night. Either way it's not true :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Is seven supposed to be an average? Like, do you eat twenty eight of them one night and then have a few days off? Or is there some sort of quota system involved here?

Is seven supposed to be an average? Like, do you eat twenty eight of them one night and then have a few days off? Or is there some sort of quota system involved here?

As face1990 said, it's meant to be something like "Humans will swallow an average of seven spiders in their sleep over the course of their lifetime," but I've heard it being quoted as each year also. It's not every night, apologies for the confusion. It's complete nonsense in any case though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

That PE teachers were qualified to check if my foreskin could retract fully, when both flaccid and tumescent.
    Nice chap though, still get Christmas cards off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

As face1990 said, it's meant to be something like "Humans will swallow an average of seven spiders in their sleep over the course of their lifetime," but I've heard it being quoted as each year also. It's not every night, apologies for the confusion. It's complete nonsense in any case though :p

Is it???

How do you know?

I think swallowing some spiders or other insects while asleep is quite plausible, some are even programmed to be attracted to CO2.

I swallowed a big Bluebottle while cycling once, no coughing mints or tobassco sause would take that phychological taste away for a week:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

44leto wrote: »
    Is it???

How do you know?

I think swallowing some spiders or other insects while asleep is quite plausible, some are even programmed to be attracted to CO2.

I swallowed a big Bluebottle while cycling once, no coughing mints or tobassco sause would take that phychological taste away for a week:(

i have rarely slept in a room with spiders. Obviously cycling is outdoors.

i have rarely slept in a room with spiders. Obviously cycling is outdoors.

Off course you have, they are many, they are small, good climbers , good hitchers and your house or bedroom is not air tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Dan133269 wrote: »

We had a science and biology teacher who used to start classes with a prayer. This was in the late 90's and early 00's.

I finished secondary school in 2005... We said a Hail Mary at the start of every class (9 times a day) and if it was Irish/French/German class we had to recite it in that language... Weird now when I think about it... in an overly-Catholic way considering we had no nuns etc

Back OT - everything in Leaving Cert Economics was explained in terms of what you could buy in Waterford Roches Stores. Even when that made no sense e.g. shoes and the law of diminishing marginal utility! When we questioned it we were told we wouldnt understand til we were 27... why 27? noone knows!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Off course you have, they are many, they are small, good climbers , good hitchers and your house or bedroom is not air tight.

Yeah, whatever. These kinda stories are impossible to disprove.

The invisible spiders are all over the place. PROVE ME WRONG!
    I cant see them?
    THEY ARE INVISIBLE! PROVE ME WRONG!
    But how would I know if I cant see them?
    I SAID THEY ARE INVISIBLE! YOU SWALLOW THEM TOO! PROVE ME WRONG!
    I've never tasted any, waking up?
    THEY ARE TASTELESS AND INVISIBLE! PROVE ME WRONG!

The whole burden of proof thing is reversed here. I could be swallowing 5 million invisible, but tasteless, mini-homoculous, or flying spaghetti monsters a second, and how would I know if they are tasteless, and invisible?

But I doubt it. I bring the theories of the wise monk Occam in, and say no. I aint ever eaten a spider.

Yeah, whatever. These kinda stories are impossible to disprove.

The invisible spiders are all over the place. PROVE ME WRONG!
    I cant see them?
    THEY ARE INVISIBLE! PROVE ME WRONG!
    But how would I know if I cant see them?
    I SAID THEY ARE INVISIBLE! YOU SWALLOW THEM TOO! PROVE ME WRONG!
    I've never tasted any, waking up?
    THEY ARE TASTELESS AND INVISIBLE! PROVE ME WRONG!

The whole burden of proof thing is reversed here. I could be swallowing 5 million invisible, but tasteless, mini-homoculous, or flying spaghetti monsters a second, and how would I know if they are tasteless, and invisible?

But I doubt it. I bring the theories of the wise monk Occam in, and say no. I aint ever eaten a spider.

Off course proof is important but so is reason and logic. I am just saying it is not as implausible definitely not impossible as the above poster stated. Over the average lifetime you will be asleep for about 20 to 25 years that is ample time for some insect to wind up in your sleeping gob and your reflex while sleeping will be to swallow rather then spit them out.

Is it???

How do you know?

Here's a pretty good article explaining it - http://insects.about.com/od/insectfolklore/qt/spiders-swallowed-while-asleep.htm but if that one doesn't wash with you just google "spiders sleep myth" and you'll get lots more results saying why it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

The Great Wall of China can be seen from the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I drew a picture of the birth of Jesus and I had Mary holding him. The baby had a speech bubble above him saying 'MAMA'.

She showed the class and they laughed.

I later found out the bloke walked on water, made fish and bread multiply, arose from the dead and cured lepers. But it was apparently too much to imagine that he could in a 6 year old child's' drawing talk the day he was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The Junior Cert is the most important thing you will ever do.

Ah I remember the thread "Things you were told by adults that were wrong"

and this was said.

Not really funny.

Maybe they were just finding it distracting and wanted you to lay off a bit.
    *fap* Oh wait...
    Karsini wrote: »
    I'm -2.25 in the left and -4.50 in the right. Blind, so I am! :pac: It's funny though, with lenses my eyesight is better in the right eye than the left, despite the fact the right needs a stronger lens.

I was the only one in the family with glasses.
    :o

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

thethingis wrote: »
    How did your way of thinking differ to theirs?

The example was similar to what she was teaching, it was about the range of temperatures (if I recall correctly)

The difference between -6 degrees and 20 would be 26 degrees

My mate asked me to explain this, so I drew a line on his page, marked -6, 0 and 20 and told him the range was the entire line.
    She said "she'd look into it" when I explained it like that, never brought it up again surprisingly....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mehfesto wrote: »
    I drew a picture of the birth of Jesus and I had Mary holding him. The baby had a speech bubble above him saying 'MAMA'.

She showed the claass and they laughed.

I later found out the bloke walked on water, made fish and bread multiply, arose from the dead and cured lepers. But it was apparently too much to imagine that he could in a 6 year old child's' drawing talk the day he was born.
    "Mama" in ancient Aramaic mean "prostitute"

• Advertisement

Here's a pretty good article explaining it - http://insects.about.com/od/insectfolklore/qt/spiders-swallowed-while-asleep.htm but if that one doesn't wash with you just google "spiders sleep myth" and you'll get lots more results saying why it's not true.

Yeah read that so it seems it is unlikely. Thanx.

Advertisement