Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Where I Can Rent a Boat?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I'm planning a trip with a couple of mates, we're gonna sail out to some uninhabited island and camp for the weekend. Can anyone tell me where I can rent a small boat? There's about 5 people (10 max, I don't mind making two trips).

I had my eye on one or two places in Clare, Seafield Harbour would be brilliant but we're not too fussy.

I've tried googling terms like "Boat Rental Clare" but that only brings up cruisers on the Shannon and fishing trips, I just wanna get to the island! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Try Lough Corrib, theres a ferry that will bring you to inchagoill, an uninhabited island, big enough about 2km (ish) there's a nice walk around the island, including some old little churches, a camping area beside the pier. you could rent a "lake boat" anglers fancy they're called from either cong, co. mayo, or ougthterard co galway, (ferry departs from these places too) but save yourself the trouble and hop on the ferry. Corrib ferrys, they have a website, google the island and ferry.
    Just one thing, bring some black bin bags with you and leave the place as you found it, theres no rubbish collection on the island, its a beautiful place so please keep it that way.
    apart from that, have a great time, and mind yourself around the water

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It is truly a lovely spot +1

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

SonyCameraCorrib2010006_sml.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@fergal.b

Hi,where is this place !?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

EHHH see post no 2;)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Looks like a lovely spot! Any chance you could link to the ferry company, or would that be unsanctioned advertising?

Also, this is probably better suited to the Outdoor Pursuits section but I'll chance it. Dya know what the camping's like? Ideally we'd want somewhere secluded (i.e. we'll be making a lot of noise and lighting a fire, we don't want to be bothering anyone or getting moved on).

Good tip on the rubbish bags by the way, I think I'm safe to speak for the whole group in saying we agree with the concept of thrash-in-thrash-out but I hadn't thought to pack bags for it! *facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

moonshadow wrote: »
    EHHH see post no 2;)

tks,too late to guess: :)

"Try Lough Corrib" [ ?? ]
    "from either cong, co. mayo or ougthterard co" [ ?? ]

Rolion, I presume the pics are of the island, Inchagoill. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Richie15 wrote: »
    Rolion, I presume the pics are of the island, Inchagoill. ;)

Yep they are,there is no one living on the island so you will be secluded at night unless someone else decides to stay the same night, there is another forum member here thats likes to go out and drink a few bottles of buckfast :D but you would be doing well if you can out party him :eek:
    There is no campsite so to speak so don't expect any comforts there are however lots of doc leaves :D

You can contact the ferry here. http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/corrib-cruises-corrib-ferries/1927

IMG_1848.jpg

This was one of our powerboat runs so don't expect to see this amount of boats there. Thats the ferry in the background.

Island5.jpg

CanonCamera2010437a.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »
    Yep they are,there is no one living on the island so you will be secluded at night unless someone else decides to stay the same night, there is another forum member here thats likes to go out and drink a few bottles of buckfast :D but you would be doing well if you can out party him :eek:

Ahh sure if we run into him, he can join the party! Or be the party, it seems. :p
    fergal.b wrote: »
    There is no campsite so to speak so don't expect any comforts there are however lots of doc leaves :D

Perfect! If I wanted comforts, I'd book a hotel. ;)

Advertisement