Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 3: Plush Vs Would?

Options
  • 11-04-2012 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

In the Master of Puppets Vs Raining Blood thread, MOP is winning by a landslide so I think it's time to move on.

For this thread I went for two songs that arguably define the grunge genre Plush by Stone Temple Pilots and Would? by Alice in Chains. Which song do you prefer.

I went for Plush, even though i'm an Alice in Chains fan but if I being honest with myself I do prefer Plush to Would? even though both songs are great. Some could argue that Would? is the better song but I don't know, I like Plush for what it is.

Which song do you prefer 8 votes

Plush
    0% 0 votes
    Would?
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

This is already threatening to be a one-horse race too.
    Next.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Voted for the winning horse, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Plush is a great song, though you should have chosen Creep by STP rather than that.

Would? is one of the best songs ever written IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I'm always gonna vote for AIC!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would? by miles for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Don't know much STP, but recognised that song as soon as I stuck it on. Good song, but I don't think it's comparable to Would?

They've got completely different moods for one, and I personally much prefer Would?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

They are both great songs by a pair of great bands sung by a pair of singer who have had to battle their demons throughout their lives. Having said that it's not a close contest for me. Would? is by far the better song.

Jemmaa wrote: »
    Why don't you leave poor Alice in Chains alone and create your poll for real winners?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76261563
    What have The Birthday Massacre got to do with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Malice wrote: »
    What have The Birthday Massacre got to do with this thread?

I really wish TBM didn't exist (also that song isn't rock or metal....more synth/electronic.......<checks wiki> Are you f*cking kidding me.....'synth rock'......Ugh). Pretty much sums up what's wrong with the genre if these are slipping in between the cracks. :pac:

Anyway back to the Song War. I voted Would? too. I do like STP, but if it was a choice between these two I'd have to go AIC (song wise), but both are equally brilliant band wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Would by two million years.

If this were a football match its the equivalent of Real Madrid against Accrington Stanley's reserve team

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    I really wish TBM didn't exist (also that song isn't rock or metal....more synth/electronic.......<checks wiki> Are you f*cking kidding me.....'synth rock'......Ugh). Pretty much sums up what's wrong with the genre if these are slipping in between the cracks. :pac:
    Hang on, you can't just answer a question asked to someone else, start complaining the in question band and then pop in a smiley and expect to get away scot-free. You're giving out about a synth-rock band saying they aren't rock. Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

Hang on, you can't just answer a question asked to someone else, start complaining the in question band and then pop in a smiley and expect to get away scot-free. You're giving out about a synth-rock band saying they aren't rock. Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

Yes I can, it's not like you were talking in private. It's a public forum! Ergo I can give an opinion on it. ;)

Smileys always help the sarcasm though. And they are a terrible band (in my opinion). <note lack of smiley>

The track on that other thread isn't very rock........it's a lot more synth. I'm just thinking it could've been better selected (I'm not aware of what TBM are, but after checking that track I couldn't give two tosses about them).

Before you accuse me of derailing a thread, I'm just replying to you and anyone can feel free to give their two.

Now seeing that this is also a landslide victory what's the next one going to be?

I was only linking thread, not band. We've got three polls on the front page already and if Riddle101 will create one more tomorrow he will have more threads than you have. Do you realise how stupid that looks? I think you should ban him. Or her.

Are you asking to ban me or just make a megathread like the Pit ones? Whereby they're stickied and the ones that come to a landslide victory are locked.

Relax, I was asking to ban Riddle101. :)

Phew!

Well were you suggesting to make them stickies like the 'pit' ones? 'cos that'd be a good way to organise them.

Relax, I was asking to ban Riddle101. :)
    For promoting discussion? Relaxamundo!

I think the concept of these threads are gone to sh1te, if there were parameters or some guidelines it would make for better conversation, for instance what song had more effect on you at the time e.g Deftones-Back to School Vs Linkin Park-Crawling etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Would? by a huge distance! Great tune

Yes I can, it's not like you were talking in private. It's a public forum! Ergo I can give an opinion on it. ;)

Smileys always help the sarcasm though. And they are a terrible band (in my opinion). <note lack of smiley>
    The thing is though, you seem strangely preoccupied lately with offering your opinion on music that I happen to quite like. Your opinion is as valid as mine but I find it odd that you felt the need to go off on a tangent by yourself on a band that has nothing to do with the thread subject, in answer to a question that you weren't asked and that by rather narrow-mindedly dismissing the band all you've done is drag the thread off-topic. Do I want to repeatedly read that you don't like the same music as me? No I don't and I doubt anyone else does either.

Jemmaa wrote:
    if Riddle101 will create one more tomorrow he will have more threads than you have. Do you realise how stupid that looks?
    At the time of writing I've created over 500 threads, Riddle101 only has 108 so one more won't make much of a difference.
    Jemmaa wrote:
    I think you should ban him. Or her.
    I think I should ban everyone except Max_Power1, then re-introduce Album of the Week and use my casting vote against Deicide :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I think I should ban everyone except Max_Power1, then re-introduce Album of the Week and use my casting vote against Deicide :p.

Is there a poll? I'd vote for that....

• Advertisement

The thing is though, you seem strangely preoccupied lately with offering your opinion on music that I happen to quite like. Your opinion is as valid as mine but I find it odd that you felt the need to go off on a tangent by yourself on a band that has nothing to do with the thread subject, in answer to a question that you weren't asked and that by rather narrow-mindedly dismissing the band all you've done is drag the thread off-topic. Do I want to repeatedly read that you don't like the same music as me? No I don't and I doubt anyone else does either.

You think I'm going out of my way to annoy you? Why the hell would I do that? Am I not allowed to have an opinion about rock&metal that I find tedious/boring and without talent (pop-rock/metal)? It's just pure coincidence that you find good what I can't stand (same could be the opposite! I wouldn't expect you to like most/all of the stuff I'm in to).

Also by 'dragging this thread off topic' I think we're both caught red handed my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Went with "Would?", a great song, one of the first bass lines I learned along with "Angry Chair", which was my first. Although I have to say, the poll is a wee bit harsh on "Plush", I though it would do a wee bit better than that, STP are a grand band too.

Riddle101, loving these threads man, I remember a similar batch of threads on another forum I used to be a regular on and they were great also. Keep it up, dude! If I was to add any input to it, I think it would be cool to probably do about 16/32 of these and then turn it into a wee tournament, that's what was done on that other forum and it turned out to be great fun; but of course it's up to you, don't bother if you don't want to.

Edit: Also, calm down ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm going against the grain here and voting plush. not to say that I dont like would?, far from it I love AIC. I just think of the two, would? is overplayed to death. (i helped with that over the years, as a learner bassist in the 90's)

I also think its not AIC's best song. Its not a crap song, but on a compositional level, its 3 parts (3 good parts) but not very interesting parts.

Plush on the other hand, has about 4 CLASS progressions from hook/verse/chorus/bridge that are great fun to play (especially if you're a bassist) with lovely layered guitar parts and unusual chords.

Plus it was written by Robert DeLeo, who as a bassist walks all over Mike Starr, technique wise.

Thats why it gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This was an easy one,Would? hands down.

Love AIC but despite a brief flirtation with STP in the early 90's,including seeing them at the SFX,i rapidly lost interest in them. The poll turned out pretty much how i expected. AIC are still mentioned with regularity in revered tones here on Boards but STP seemed to have been consigned to history and rather unfairly lumped in with the short lived grunge era.

You think I'm going out of my way to annoy you? Why the hell would I do that? Am I not allowed to have an opinion about rock&metal that I find tedious/boring and without talent (pop-rock/metal)? It's just pure coincidence that you find good what I can't stand (same could be the opposite! I wouldn't expect you to like most/all of the stuff I'm in to).
    I have no idea why you would do that but it's how I perceive the situation lately and so I'm calling you up on it. Of course you're allowed to have an opinion, no one's ever said any different so don't go trying to whine about being oppressed.
    chin_grin wrote:
    Also by 'dragging this thread off topic' I think we're both caught red handed my good man.
    You answered a question directed at another poster with a provocative post which served no useful purpose. Don't try to wriggle out of it. Had you not decided to offer the forum your opinion on an unrelated band Jemmaa would have clarified what she meant and that would have been the end of it.

I have no idea why you would do that but it's how I perceive the situation lately and so I'm calling you up on it. Of course you're allowed to have an opinion, no one's ever said any different so don't go trying to whine about being oppressed.

Again, how you're coming to this conclusion is beyond me! But if you say it's happening then who am I to question?
    You answered a question directed at another poster with a provocative post which served no useful purpose. Don't try to wriggle out of it. Had you not decided to offer the forum your opinion on an unrelated band Jemmaa would have clarified what she meant and that would have been the end of it.

Ah just thought I'd get my two in...because it's a public forum and everyone's posts are public and therefore I could have an opinion on it....publically. (See where I'm going with this?) <insert smiley>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nah more fun to bring back album of the week, and let me start my usual weekly campaign to stop Deicide getting a win. Less work for you that way.

Album Of The Week was a pretty cool thread though, one that maybe should come back.

Kess73 wrote: »

Album Of The Week was a pretty cool thread though, one that maybe should come back.
    Yup
    It promoted discussion. Ive noticed I visit this forum a lot less recently compared to others.
    I attribute this to only being list threads like the song title game and less discussion traffic. (maybe thats just me)

Ah just thought I'd get my two in...because it's a public forum and everyone's posts are public and therefore I could have an opinion on it....publically. (See where I'm going with this?) <insert smiley>
    How about in future you stop to think before replying whether you need to answer a question you weren't asked with an opinion that is of no benefit to the thread?
    Kess73 wrote: »
    We've got two mods now so if it were to return perhaps the casting vote wouldn't be as much of a problem this time around.

• Advertisement

+1 for the album of the week!
    Eventhough I dunno how it works, i too feel this forum is gone a little stagnant and a boost is perhaps required!

Advertisement