Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I liked them other than Tidus. Kimahri was a bit underdeveloped.

Get over Wakka's accent and he's got a great character arc. Getting over his prejudices with the help of Rikku was one of the games best story threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Yeah some of the characters were annoying to say the least, and the whistle scene is quite possibly one of the most cringe scenes in gaming history!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Miskin_12

blackwave wrote: »
    Yeah some of the characters were annoying to say the least, and the whistle scene is quite possibly one of the most cringe scenes in gaming history!

Surely you mean the laughing scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

No update? makes me very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

nickcave wrote: »
    No update? makes me very sad :(

lol I was very aware that last night was the first night all week she didn't play. Instead she went to a musical.

However, if it makes anyone feel better, her first words this morning when she woke up were "Holy ****, I dreamt about Final Fantasy"

I'm sure we'll get a few hours in tonight so I'll update then!

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Instead she went to a musical.

Speaking of going to a musical, who do you think she'll
    go on the Gold Saucer date
    with based on her dialog choices etc.?

I never got Barrett.

That happens the first time you visit the Gold Saucer, right?

nickcave wrote: »
    Speaking of going to a musical, who do you think she'll
    go on the Gold Saucer date
    with based on her dialog choices etc.?

I never got Barrett.

That happens the first time you visit the Gold Saucer, right?

No you get the keystone first before you go on the date. Based on her choices so far, it's looking like Tifa, she's been quite cool towards Aeris but generally not an ass.
    There was a pretty good and extensive guide on how to get different people for the dates online somewhere, i didn't even know you could go with Yuffie until I saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

However, if it makes anyone feel better, her first words this morning when she woke up were "Holy ****, I dreamt about Final Fantasy"
    ONE OF US!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

NO!

God awful ****e game, the first to put me off the series!

CAN'T understand the love for it on here at all!!:confused:

First but definitely not the last unfortunately!

FFX is just awful.

No you get the keystone first before you go on the date. Based on her choices so far, it's looking like Tifa, she's been quite cool towards Aeris but generally not an ass.
    There was a pretty good and extensive guide on how to get different people for the dates online somewhere, i didn't even know you could go with Yuffie until I saw it!

Gah, so far away...

I always got Aeris. No matter how much I resolved to get Tifa or any of the others, when any of the clearly important dialog choices came up, I was a complete sucker for Aeris. Just couldn't do it.

"Yeah, I'll buy a flower! H-Hey I'll buy a flower from you! Where are you going??"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

This thread is very interesting!

Nice to see how the game is percieved by a non-RPG fan or even a non-gaming fan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I liked them other than Tidus. Kimahri was a bit underdeveloped.

Get over Wakka's accent and he's got a great character arc. Getting over his prejudices with the help of Rikku was one of the games best story threads.

Rikku was somewhat annyoing but I thought Wakka's beliefs and his coming to terms with Yevon being a sham was a brilliant subplot.
    Kimahri should have been better. FFVII in particular has done a good job of enemy skills but Kimahri's were nearly all completely useless.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I never really liked in 10 that during the game it was trying to stress that all of your characters had different abilities and uses but as you went through the sphere grid it just became about who had better overdrives, and the fact that Yuna could summon.

Even though VI and IX aren't my favourites, one thing I like about them more than the others is that the characters all have their individual strengths and abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I'd like to congratulate the wonderful modding (or wonderful not-modding) of this thread.

we've been talking about other FF's, went off topic at every turn even discussed Suikoden and all while waiting for intermittent posts by Red updating up on the FF7 progress.

This is the greatest thread relating to RPGs in the history of the world.

that happened to my sister too. She dreamed Rei from BoF 3.

as for suikoden/suikoden II for psn, well I believe you can only get suikoden I on the american PSN, and currently weiting Suik II. didnt they release a verison of SUik I & II for PSP though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Even though VI and IX aren't my favourites, one thing I like about them more than the others is that the characters all have their individual strengths and abilities.

With varying degrees of usefulness. Almost none of the unique abilities in VI are useful once you get espers, with the exception maybe of Terra's esper form and Sabin's blitz. Maybe Gau's rage if you spent hours on the Verdt or Veldt or whatever it was called.

IX was a bit better in that respect. Only Vivi could use black magic, Steiner had sword moves etc. But the way I see it, the limit breaks in the other games are the same as the unique abilities in VI, except almost all of them are useful. You just can't use them with impunity, like you could with Blitz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It did but it didn't get released outside Japan according to wikipedia.

I came home for a few days and found my mate's copy of FFX. I always thought it was a Square Enix game, turns out it's Squaresoft.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It's like torture reading this thread!

My thesis and presentation are due Monday week, followed by 3 weeks of exams and assignments and since reading this thread every time I walk by the PlayStation FFVII is screaming 'play me, play me.'

And yes I do blame you RedXIV!! Great thread though :D

Ok guys, sorry about the delay in this update. So we started back again while in the middle of Junon after doing the "training" for Rufus's send off. We've gone rooting through the town, finding things like the speed source, which was kinda confusing, and the 1/35th soldier, which was completely confusing.

But we got through all that, and eventually got to the send-off for rufus which was nothing short of comical to watch. As an aside, my gf has never been good at telling her left from her right, and in her defence, it was dark when the captain was shouting which buttons to press. Either way, she got a mighty score of 30 for the presidential mood. She did like the victory pose at the end though, finally making the connection between it and the end of a battle pose.
    This gets you the "HP plus" materia which has not left the main party since we got it. Again, something I never noticed due to knowing exactly what to do but if you try to leave that location without going on the boat, RedXIII will call you over and explain how everyone else got on board.

So on the ship, as expected, the first thing she zoned in on was the little materia orb that Yuffie is blocking access to. After a few mins of frustrated failed navigation, we gave up and started moving around and exploring. She genuinely laughed at RedXIII dressed up as a sailor, and it didn't take her long to realise that there was nothing to do on deck. After initiating the conversation to get to Barret, she completed the cutscene and went down to fight Jenova, the first boss in a while that gave her any kind of challenge. it was nice to see her reaction as sephiroth came up through the floor, which she summed up in the single word "....BALLS!", before starting the battle. The combination of Stop and using the laser multiple times in a turn really took her by surprise. However, at this stage in the game, she has most people on around 800-900 HP so it wasn't too hard for her to stay alive to beat him as a boss. She has done a few little things though which are good to see that she's aware of the importance of strategy. For example, she used Barret's mindblow first to take any MP off the enemy (even if it didn't work) and she's finally understood summon materia!

So after Jenova and in Costa Del Sol, she has completed the necessary story to progress to the next part of the game with not alot happening here. I was slightly disappointed she didn't get to kick the ball at RedXIII but she did see Yuffie working at the ice-cream stand and its these little tidbits that are making her enjoy the characters more. So she's heading towards Coral and here we go through the silly little bridge breaking mini game which took me years to get right, and as expected, it didn't work for her either. She's really not sold on these mini games, if you can call these mini games and finds them almost taunting. However, it really got interesting when she encountered her first Bomb enemy. For the first time in nearly 5 hours, one of her characters died, as a result of the Self Destruct move at the end. Here was the optimum chance for her to learn about elemental properties but after 3 or 4 other attemps she simply called it quits and moved on from the area into Coral.

As I'm typing this she's in the Gold Saucer so Barret's full back story here hasn't been realised but she's somewhat emphatic towards him and the reasoning people have for hating Barret in Coral. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the Barret backstory affects her, it is something I find moving, particularly since I became a parent. And she's lost all love for Yuffie after her "He totally deserved it" comment she makes before they get to the gold saucer. That has turned Yuffie in the current scapegoat for everything.

So we're in the gold saucer now and her first reaction is "This sucks". Mainly because she has no GP, and its cost her 3K to just get in the door. I'm pretty sure I've heard the ghost hotel and Cait Sith's theme in the last few mins so as it stands she just needs to find the gold saucer massacre and we're on to the rest of the backstory!

Also, for fun she has classed each of the characters as follows:

Cloud - The sane one (the irony here will be brilliant)
    Aeris - The slut
    Tifa - The childhood tramp
    RedXIII - The pet
    Barret - Poor Barret
    Yuffie - The Gobshite.

I'll hopefully update you all tonight on our progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Cloud - The sane one (the irony here will be brilliant)
    :pac:

Does she know about this Thread?

:pac:

Does she know about this Thread?

She knows it exists but I asked her not to read it as it has loads of spoilers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

After initiating the conversation to get to Barret, she completed the cutscene and went down to fight Jenova, the first boss in a while that gave her any kind of challenge. it was nice to see her reaction as sephiroth came up through the floor, which she summed up in the single word "....BALLS!", before starting the battle. The combination of Stop and using the laser multiple times in a turn really took her by surprise. However, at this stage in the game, she has most people on around 800-900 HP so it wasn't too hard for her to stay alive to beat him as a boss. She has done a few little things though which are good to see that she's aware of the importance of strategy. For example, she used Barret's mindblow first to take any MP off the enemy (even if it didn't work) and she's finally understood summon materia!

So after a few day of playing she's starting to use different stratagies. She's a better RPG player then I am, with my all-out-attack, beat-em-up style tactic. That's great news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kaldea

I'd love to be able to play FFVII through new eyes again! Feel everything I felt the first time round! Nothing like it! ^_^ Don't get those feelings with the latest installments. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

update update update :D

Sunday morning I was leaving Midgar.
    This evening I'm outside the Temple of the Ancients.

LOOK AT WHAT THIS THREAD HAS DONE TO ME

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I had forgotten about that Demon Wall until this thread reminded me, I nearly failed Junior Cert Geography because of that damn battle. Must have taken me 15 goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

My friend and his brother were stuck on Demon Gate for a good 3 years.

For the first time ever, I bothered to search the Temple top to bottom. Got every treasure. Red Dragon was a piece of piss. Demon Wall was an asshole, but I got nearly 8 limit breaks in the battle, and Aerith's Level 2 limit break when she got the killing blow. Bit of a ****ing waste at that point.....

Not a huge update for you guys as herself has been sick AND looking after 3 sick kids like the hero she is. We haven't had the opportunity to do much gaming time.

But anyways, last we left off, we had just hit the coral prison. Here was interesting enough as it was the first "populated" area that had random encounters so while she was trying to figure out who to talk to and where to go, she was constantly getting into fights which were annoying her. More irritating were the fights with the bandits who successfully stole over 1000 gil on her as well as Yuffie's Wind Slash. Also she had an issue with the 2 face enemies which were curing her before she realised they could also self destruct. at nearly 1000HP these self destruct moves were the closest she's been getting to death in a while so as you can imagine, she was getting nervous.

It took her a while to get out of the main prison area to find Dyne but I was looking forward to this as she didn't know that Barret would be fighting alone. However, she was, as mentioned earlier, at 1000HP meaning that at worst, Dyne was only taking about 300 off her. He was beaten in about 5 mins thanks to the fact she had a limit break going in.

After beating Dyne she went up to the chocobo racing and here was a challenge. I don't think the controls fully sank in as she was reading them as she left the chocobo on automatic for the first race which it ended up running all over the place and coming 4th. The second time however, she got him changed to manual and took first place with ease.

So she's out of the gold saucer now with her buggy and probably due to not feeling 100% she's not really exploring like she should. She completely bypassed Gongaga and was skirting around the edges of Cosmo Canyon but couldn't find the way up and ended up driving around until she hit Coral again. Upon walking back into the place and realising where she was she sighed and left it for the day. Hopefully the kids, and herself, will be back to full health soon and she'll be ok to continue on properly.

On a happy note, she now has a CD with all the calmer songs from the game, and one or two other FF's in the car. I picked out the song list for her to try out and surprisingly, she doesn't like the ones with lyrics so Eyes on me and Melodies of life are not rated well at the moment. She's still enamored with the pianist from video game live's mashup of all the iconic FF songs so thats the first track on her CD and probably going to be listened to 90% of the time.

Only other interesting fact is she's trying to get the victory fanfare as her ringtone, I'm really looking forward to showing her Loz from FF:AC having the same :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

she doesn't like the ones with lyrics so Eyes on me and Melodies of life are not rated well at the moment.

Good taste, those two songs are ghastly with Eyes on Me being a right stinker.
    Only other interesting fact is she's trying to get the victory fanfare as her ringtone, I'm really looking forward to showing her Loz from FF:AC having the same :D

Why would you do that to her? If you were a nice person you'd never mention AC and hope that she goes through life never knowing it existed.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good taste, those two songs are ghastly with Eyes on Me being a right stinker.

Why would you do that to her? If you were a nice person you'd never mention AC and hope that she goes through life never knowing it existed.

She's still at the "FF7 can do wrong" stage so it was her idea to watch the movie but I said she'd have to wait until after the game. Can't see her taking to it anyway, really not her style of movie.

Gotta admit though, perhaps its from playing through it so many times that I go through at a much lower level stat wise, but this game has presented very little in the way of challenge for her, instead throwing irritation her way. She encountered the frogs with that combination that makes it practically impossible to not remain a frog for most of the fight and it irritated her more than anything else.

Going through it with her now, I can see that the difficulty needs to ramp up a bit more. She beat Dyne first time where I thought she'd need at least 2 tries to get her materia right. But for her I think its ok as it is her first RPG and a game that had her game over four or five times a night would probably have caused her to lose interest.

Advertisement