Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge price hike for yacht berths in harbours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fergal.b wrote: »
    As if things aren't hard enough for boat owners to hang onto their boats I'm sure this will push a few over the edge :mad: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0407/1224314498266.html

:eek:

What in the name of God do they hope to achieve by this, I wonder? Apart from driving leisure boats out of fishsing harbours altogether - it's not as if the coast is littered with marina-standard alternatives (or even any alternatives!) - are we really THAT much of an inconvenience? (genuine question!)

Or do they just think that boat owners are bottomless money pits :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

What in the name of God do they hope to achieve by this, I wonder? Apart from driving leisure boats out of fishsing harbours altogether - it's not as if the coast is littered with marina-standard alternatives (or even any alternatives!) - are we really THAT much of an inconvenience? (genuine question!)

It's a ridiculous proposal.

It manages to combine adversely affect many people; for minimal financial net gain to the state.

The alternative for boat owners is, as we on the west coast currently do, set your own mooring and acquire a tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It's a ridiculous proposal.

It manages to combine adversely affect many people; for minimal financial net gain to the state.

The alternative for boat owners is, as we on the west coast currently do, set your own mooring and acquire a tender.

what a load of crap, this country is a fcuking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

this government will bleed us all white if they get away with it!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Seems no-one in the Civil Service/Goverment understands the phrase "killing the golden goose".
    Coveney should know better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Daibheid wrote: »
    Seems no-one in the Civil Service/Goverment understands the phrase "killing the golden goose".
    Coveney should know better

To quote from the article;

"A 10-metre yacht, which paid an average €312 a year for a berth, will be charged up to €2,500 a year under the new terms."

I'm not sure that you could call €312 a year for a berth "golden goose" by any stretch of the imagination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

fergal.b wrote: »
    As if things aren't hard enough for boat owners to hang onto their boats I'm sure this will push a few over the edge :mad: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0407/1224314498266.html

From that article:
    A 10-metre yacht, which paid an average €312 a year for a berth, will be charged up to €2,500 a year under the new terms.
    And
    Federation chairman David O’Brien said that for every euro spent on a berth in a harbour, €10 was normally spent by yacht owners and crew in local shops and restaurants.
    So there is quite possibly somebody somewhere involved in the countries finances who now believes that they have just boosted the average annual return from boating tourism from €3120 to €25000 per boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Tabnabs wrote: »
    To quote from the article;
    I'm not sure that you could call €312 a year for a berth "golden goose" by any stretch of the imagination?
    I noticed that particularly sweet deal myself :) but in the overall scheme of the planned revisions I believe my comment is appropriate.

Advertisement