Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Repair for Motorboat

Options
  • 06-04-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Last august I bought a boat. Excuse my ignorance, but the from what I understand the starter is broken in the engine. It prop needs a service too.
    I am located in Portmarnock area, any advice on how to go about fixing this?
    Would I be best off getting somebody out to take a look / give a quote ?
    Any rough guide on what kind of money I should expect to pay for this repair?
    Thanks
    PM me if you can do this for me.
    Any other advice is welcome!
    I'd love to have the boat going for the summer!
    The boat is a Flecther and the engine is 140hp Johnstone if that helps!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

shanered wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Last august I bought a boat. Excuse my ignorance, but the from what I understand the starter is broken in the engine. It prop needs a service too.
    I am located in Portmarnock area, any advice on how to go about fixing this?
    Would I be best off getting somebody out to take a look / give a quote ?
    Any rough guide on what kind of money I should expect to pay for this repair?
    Thanks
    PM me if you can do this for me.
    Any other advice is welcome!
    I'd love to have the boat going for the summer!
    The boat is a Flecther and the engine is 140hp Johnstone if that helps!

welcome shanered,

when you say the starter is broken , what exactly do you mean ? does it turn the flywheel, does it not move ? does it make a noise??

most trouble with starters are worn brushes which are easily fixed.

prop wise , pics are always better than words but there is a crowd that advertises regularly on d..ed..l (fill in blanks) in the boating section based in Dublin that do Prop repairs (search prop repair). Expect about E50 ish if your prop has huge lumps gone out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Well the starter was jumping but not catching, I could get it going by giving it a smack with something, and probably lumps out of it now.
    Hope I'm even talking about the right part, whatever the thing that jumps up seems not to be catching but it works with a smack, like I was saying.
    I'll have a look at that crowd, thanks for the help.
    By prop, do you mean propeller?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi shanered the starter motor on this engine works on centrifugal force to engage the flywheel instead of a solenoid so the first thing to do is oil the shaft of the starter and check your battery is fully charged and all the connections are good, it has to be turning at a certain speed to force it up to the flywheel so if there is any thing slowing it down it will not work.
    As it has taken a bit of a beating now :rolleyes: it may have to be repaired or replaced about €200 for a new one.

Malahide marina have a good workshop and are close to you
    http://www.malahidemarina.net/maintenance.htm

Also portmarnock motor CO.LTD on the strand road do a bit on boats they may also be worth a call. TEL 8463108

As for the prop about €130 new or like breghall said you could get it fix by the guys on DD http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2806694

Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

I could be totally wrong here but I don't think the "op" has anything wrong with his "prop". I think it may be a typo and should perhaps read "It prob(ably) needs a service too." Anyway the advice on prop repair may prove useful to someone else! :)

shanered wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Thanks for all the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement