Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions and hopefully answers

Options
  • 04-04-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

hi guys, does anyone know about the trip the SU president went on to the USA to investigate student centres? Just heard about it now on facebook and wasn't sure if it's true or now. I think he went before christmas, maybe a little after. is it true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    hi guys, does anyone know about the trip the SU president went on to the USA to investigate student centres? Just heard about it now on facebook and wasn't sure if it's true or now. I think he went before christmas, maybe a little after. is it true?
    I believe he did, why? Is there some craaaazy scandal we should know about where we all disown our ex-president?

http://ulsupresident.blogspot.com/2011/12/jingle-bell-jingle-bell-jingle-bell.html

God bless Google. It's so nice to type the words "derek daly trip student centres" and with some basic reading ability and 2 minute to spare, all the information can be right there in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

thanks sherlock. I have read that. All he says is that he went on a trip to the USA to do a tour and it was an eye opener. I want to know who paid for his travel expenses. I want to know who did his job in UL when he was in America. I want to know who allowed this trip. Do you not think it was a bit frivolous for the SU president of a bankrupt SU to go on a 'fact finding mission' in the united states to have a mooch around their student centre so he can come back and give some 'advice' to architects.?

So when you said this;

You really meant;
    I want to know who paid for his travel expenses. I want to know who did his job in UL when he was in America. I want to know who allowed this trip. Do you not think it was a bit frivolous for the SU president of a bankrupt SU to go on a 'fact finding mission' in the united states to have a mooch around their student centre so he can come back and give some 'advice' to architects.?

Because the initial post suggests you had no prior knowledge of this. I mean, why else would you be so unsure about when he went if you've read that it was Week 11 of last year. I might be Sherlock, but I ain't a mind reader.

Just thought I'd call you out on what was a terrible OP ;)

you're a **** troll and i won't waste a breath on you. but will put it in a dossier marked nockz

i will email derek in the morning and report back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Going to miss the I dont like Daly post next year

you're a **** troll and i won't waste a breath on you. but will put it in a dossier marked nockz

i will email derek in the morning and report back

Am I really a troll when I was pointing out how vague your OP was? Take it on the chin and be clearer with your posts. Not only here, but in every aspect of life. A clear message can travel quite far.

I helped you out and you get snarky with me. That wasn't very nice now was it?

Make sure my dossier is spelled correctly.

thanks nockz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kevin.Lally

Jester252 wrote: »
    Going to miss the I dont like Daly post next year

I'm around for another couple of years!

I'll bring it up with a fake boards account and pretend like I never heard about it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Oooh Nockz, you're fúcked now! They've got a dossier on you. :pac: :pac:

As for whether it was appropriate to go or not, yes it was. We're [the student body] about to embark on a multi-million euro project to build a new Student Centre. I bet if the plans were released and you found out through ye're vast spy network that they hadn't done any fact finding ye'd be bitching as well.

BTW, do ye have dossiers [FYI, I smile every time I type that because of it's sheer ridiculousness] on the incoming sabbats? We need to find out who Adam Moursy is a supporter of, we need something to replace the "Daly is a FFer" threads. :pac:

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oooh Nockz, you're fúcked now! They've got a dossier on you. :pac: :pac:

As for whether it was appropriate to go or not, yes it was. We're [the student body] about to embark on a multi-million euro project to build a new Student Centre. I bet if the plans were released and you found out through ye're vast spy network that they hadn't done any fact finding ye'd be bitching as well.

BTW, do ye have dossiers [FYI, I smile every time I type that because of it's sheer ridiculousness] on the incoming sabbats? We need to find out who Adam Moursy is a supporter of, we need something to replace the "Daly is a FFer" threads. :pac:

We have one on you. Would you like to see it?

I don't think you really grasp the issue here at all. You're making a lot of noise but there isn't a huge amount of signal.

The university and the SU are in the very early stages of negotiating a student centre. I personally, don't see any merit, in one individual, who won't be in the university in the next 5 years when this project will likely get going (if it get's going at all). If derek went on a fact finding mission I want to see the report he wrote (which should be extensive) to justify it. It sounds like derek went on a trip, took a few mental notes, sent someone an email saying "UCLA had a great feature x, MIT did this". Which in my opinion, counts for **** all and they could have achieved that googling.

You particularly don't seem to understand what is expected of professionals. You don't just go on a free holiday and throw something together at the end, this isn't a student endeavour. There should have been clear goals, justification, accountability and transparency. All we know is Derek went on a free holiday and may or may not pass on some tips to an architect. I frankly find this embarassing and unacceptable.

I know one of my colleagues has contacted Derek directly to hear his side and when he finally gets around to answering his email i will report back.

Why do it when he won't be here in 5 years?

Is this a serious question you'd be willing to back up?

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Is it extensive or have you just thrown something together at the end?
    I don't think you really grasp the issue here at all. You're making a lot of noise but there isn't a huge amount of signal.

You are making a lot of noise.
    I personally, don't see any merit, in one individual, who won't be in the university in the next 5 years when this project will likely get going (if it get's going at all).

You personally don't see any merit in what? You should think and phrase sentences before you post as you didn't get your point across here at all.

You should find out who is on this board, as there is a 1st year along with staff. If we took the attitude of waiting around for someone who would be in UL for 5 years to start these talks, we would be waiting a while.

If derek went on a fact finding mission I want to see the report he wrote (which should be extensive) to justify it. It sounds like derek went on a trip, took a few mental notes, sent someone an email saying "UCLA had a great feature x, MIT did this". Which in my opinion, counts for **** all and they could have achieved that googling.

He only has to give the report (or whatever he was required to do) to whoever funded him and not you personally. You should see the report first before making baseless claims which counts for **** all.

All we know is Derek went on a free holiday and may or may not pass on some tips to an architect. I frankly find this embarassing and unacceptable.

All we know? I think you should say all you guess. Know is the wrong word here as Derek has said it was fact finding mission so we know it was a fact finding mission. You have said it was a holiday, alleging Derek has been mis-using funds for his own gain. For anyone thinking of a political career that is quite a severe allegation (or maybe he might fit in :pac:).
    I know one of my colleagues has contacted Derek directly to here his side and when he finally gets around to answering his email i will report back.

I hope we here about it when you here about it. I'm sure when Derek here's about it, you can report back to whoever so they can here about it aswell. Make sure the response is hered by telling everyone so we all can here. :rolleyes:

what?
    I personally, don't see any merit, in one individual, who won't be in the university in the next 5 years when this project will likely get going (if it get's going at all)

Do you stand by this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

reunion wrote: »
    I hope we here about it when you here about it. I'm sure when Derek here's about it, you can report back to whoever so they can here about it aswell. Make sure the response is hered by telling everyone so we all can here. :rolleyes:

Just a reminder to all - we don't take kindly to them there grummer and spling natsies round these parts.

reunion wrote: »
    Is it extensive or have you just thrown something together at the end?

none of your business, not as extensive as your one.
    You are making a lot of noise.
    it's the noise:signal ratio that's important. you should know this but you don't.

You personally don't see any merit in what? You should think and phrase sentences before you post as you didn't get your point across here at all.

nice sentence bro'
    You should find out who is on this board, as there is a 1st year along with staff. If we took the attitude of waiting around for someone who would be in UL for 5 years to start these talks, we would be waiting a while.

i know who 'is on this board'
    He only has to give the report (or whatever he was required to do) to whoever funded him and not you personally. You should see the report first before making baseless claims which counts for **** all.

you don't know anything about who funded him, who commissioned what and who he owes a report to. Stop interrupting threads with your silly questions and silly assumptions like you do at council meetings. You talk complete misinformed nonsense and you have a bloated sense of self importance. DOn't talk about things you don't understand.
    All we know? I think you should say all you guess. Know is the wrong word here as Derek has said it was fact finding mission so we know it was a fact finding mission. You have said it was a holiday, alleging Derek has been mis-using funds for his own gain. For anyone thinking of a political career that is quite a severe allegation (or maybe he might fit in :pac:).

What. The. ****. Are. You. Talking. About.

Nockz wrote: »
    Do you stand by this?

Yes I do. Derek is going on a trip and he is not submitting a report. What use is his personal knowledge on this. What benefit will it be to the people who are building this what some kid knew 5 years ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Aw shucks, don't I feel special. :cool:

Send it on if you want, I doubt it's got anything interesting in it anyway.
    It sounds like derek went on a trip, took a few mental notes, sent someone an email saying "UCLA had a great feature x, MIT did this". Which in my opinion, counts for **** all and they could have achieved that googling.

Doesn't sound like that to me. Would love to see any proof you have to back this assumption up.
    You particularly don't seem to understand what is expected of professionals. You don't just go on a free holiday and throw something together at the end, this isn't a student endeavour. There should have been clear goals, justification, accountability and transparency. All we know is Derek went on a free holiday and may or may not pass on some tips to an architect. I frankly find this embarassing and unacceptable.

And you know there weren't clear goals because....

It is a student endeavour. The new Student Centre is for students I believe. And since we elected Derek to represent us as a student body, then I believe he would probably be the exact person to send and report back on what sort of facilities are needed.
    I know one of my colleagues has contacted Derek directly to here his side and when he finally gets around to answering his email i will report back.

Good. This is what you should have waited for before making baseless accusations that he just went on a holiday and sent an email back.

Yes I do. Derek is going on a trip and he is not submitting a report. What use is his personal knowledge on this. What benefit will it be to the people who are building this what some kid knew 5 years ago.
    Sorry what? I believe he has submitted a joint report with the lads from DCU and other universities. This was mentiond in the blog.

So, just so we're clear, you see no reason getting the ball rolling for things you won't be around to finish?
    you don't know anything about who funded him, who commissioned what and who he owes a report to. Stop interrupting threads with your silly questions and silly assumptions like you do at council meetings. You talk complete misinformed nonsense and you have a bloated sense of self importance. DOn't talk about things you don't understand.

The irony is that you don't know either. In fact, you perfectly describe your own posts.

• Advertisement

Nockz wrote: »
    Sorry what? I believe he has submitted a joint report with the lads from DCU and other universities. This was mentiond in the blog.
    No. This is what he says
    I'm trying, as futile as it seems, to get a report together with the guys from DCU, UCC and NUIM on the student centres we saw as part of the trip and the content of the conference itself

This means the report wasn't written and wasn't supported.
    So, just so we're clear, you see no reason getting the ball rolling for things you won't be around to finish?

No. I didn't say that, and you didn't ask that. Don't put words in my mouth. I said there is no point in an individual going on an expensive trip abroad to collect anecdotal information if he doesn't produce a very exhaustive written report.
    The irony is that you don't know either. In fact, you perfectly describe your own posts.

The irony is I do know and I am waiting for the penny to sink in with you lot. I only ask questions I already know the answer to.

The irony is I do know and I am waiting for the penny to sink in with you lot. I only ask questions I already know the answer to.

Just so everyone's clear on the matter; You're making no sense.

You come in here claiming to have ony just heard of the trip now, as is clearly stated in your OP. Suddenly, we are to believe that really, you knew of this all along and are simply stooping to our 'uninformed' levels of knowledge on these matters as a way of fitting in?

Please, do go on. This is nothing short of hilarious.

Filed under 'hilarious' in the "Roro" dossier.

We could use a man like you nockz. You should consider joining the rebel alliance.

We could use a man like you nockz. You should consider joining the rebel alliance.
    I really don't have the time to make alt accounts to fluff your numbers. Cheers for the invite though ;)

Aw shucks, don't I feel special. :cool:

Send it on if you want, I doubt it's got anything interesting in it anyway.
    Hope you enjoyed the link to your facebook/boards account.
    I would love to see what they got on me.
    FYI don't read these threads after playing Mass Effect it will make you think that he is doing this for
    cxQTv9GTcY5SVODm.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the link to your facebook/boards account.
    I would love to see what they got on me.
    FYI don't read these threads after playing Mass Effect it will make you think that he is doing this forcxQTv9GTcY5SVODm.jpg

He hasn't sent it yet. I'm assuming it's just that, a link to my facebook which is pretty boring, my boards account which again, is pretty boring, and no doubt the brilliant deduction that I'm on ULFM.

He hasn't sent it yet. I'm assuming it's just that, a link to my facebook which is pretty boring, my boards account which again, is pretty boring, and no doubt the brilliant deduction that I'm on ULFM.
    Is ULFM not ran on the hopes and dreams of first years? You evil man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Rebelling against what exactly? :pac:

Is ULFM not ran on the hopes and dreams of first years? You evil man.

Yep. And we get electricity for the computer by burning puppies. MUAUAHAHAHA :P

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »

Rebelling against what exactly? :pac:
    Daly and his SU pals.

Advertisement