Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debunking skeptics .....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

maccored wrote: »
    Point is, the 'believers' keep themselves to themselves and dont pretend they know everything. This subforum could learn some lessons from that.

But unless they've done research {in your own words} then they are pretending to know something, otherwise:
    If you arent researching the subject - believer or cynic - then you arent in any position to debate it, as one wouldnt actually know what one was talking about.
    Another thing you are (very widely) missing is that this subforum is for those who have proof that the paranormal isnt true. Instead what do we get? Talk of ESP, mediums and spirituality. That smells like a fail to me.

So then, is the main forum for those who have proof the paranormal is true? If so, there doesn't seem to be much to go on other than mostly explainable phenomena. Or have I gotten that wrong too?

Also, your very defensive & condescending for someone who I'm just posting with arn't you? Every post of yours tells me what Im missing, how wrong I am, & other assorted shots across my bow. Chill out man, nobody is out to cause any guff. I'm just interested in why you brand certain skeptics as armchair skeptics, while believers who have done no research arn't similarly described by you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

IRWolfie- wrote: »
    Again more unfounded claims. http://skepdic.com/ganzfeld.html. You make the a priori assumption that the skeptics dismiss it because of ideology, and don't even bother to check what they actually think. Can you please stop with the straw men.

The article you have posted does nothing to support the view that psi effects are not not demonstrated by Ganfeld studies. Yes, there was criticism of earlier work, but the auto-Ganzfeld experiments from 1983 onwards, which have been done under very strict conditions, confirm the earlier findings. There is nothing in the article that suggests problems with the autoGanzfeld studies.

If you are referring to the quote in the attached article by Susan Blackmore, then I'm afraid her testimony has been discredited on this matter. In the quote she claimed to have "personal experience over many years". This is simply not true, and also misleading, she did Ganzfeld experiments during her PhD thesis and that was it. She did zero work in the field after completing her PhD. In fact, other researchers examined her work and found it to be sloppy, but the central point is that she had almost no experience in the field and overstated her case in that quote. For balance you need to read the reponse to her by Dean Radin. In addition, Susan has backed off that quote in more recent years and now has an open mind on the topic. Wiseman who is also quoted in the article, in recent years has also said psi effects exist but are not understood.

By the way the conclusion of the article is to keep an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

EnterNow wrote: »
    But unless they've done research {in your own words} then they are pretending to know something, otherwise:

Please stop the baiting. its a bit crass tbh. Its 'debate' you are meant to be involved in here.
    So then, is the main forum for those who have proof the paranormal is true? If so, there doesn't seem to be much to go on other than mostly explainable phenomena. Or have I gotten that wrong too?

no - its a place for people to share paranormal experiences they may have had. Really - You actually needed that explained to you? Does that tell you anything?
    Also, your very defensive & condescending for someone who I'm just posting with arn't you?

No. Im just quite able to see through the rubbish that gets posted though. its really easy to say someting doesnt exist because someone else told you so. its a bit harder to go out there and try to find info that correlates with one side or the other. The 'Skeptics' on this sub forum are of the former rather than the latter.
    Every post of yours tells me what Im missing, how wrong I am, & other assorted shots across my bow. Chill out man, nobody is out to cause any guff.

Thats the way debates work. You say its one way, I say its another.
    I'm just interested in why you brand certain skeptics as armchair skeptics, while believers who have done no research arn't similarly described by you smile.png

Im only after explaining that to you. Oh and dont get me wrong - I wouldnt brand any self respecting skeptic of being an 'armchair' skeptic. its the cynical type who have nothing to back up their view other than they read it on the internet, or their mammy told them ghosts werent real - theres many reasons why they might ridicule the paranormal, but none of it is actually based on their own education in the subject - those are the 'armchair skeptics'. When someone has a paranormal experience and reports it on here, thats a completely different story. The main difference is, theyve had some form of experience that they are tryign to figure out. Mr Armchair on the other hand, is just here to ridicule and more than likely try to make themselves feel intelligent.

You really should be asking a 'believer' these things. I have no idea why you are asking me.
    So again, people who believe in the paranormal do so because its their own perogitive to do so, regardless of what if any research they've done on the subject? Whilst on the other hand, sceptics, are branded as 'armchair sceptics' for having the very same faith but at the opposite end of the spectrum? Why does the belief in the supernatural give you the perogitive to believe, while skepticism of it means your labeled with a derogatory term? It doesn't sound very rational at all, perhaps you can better explain why you see one groups faith exonerates them over another where research hasn't been done?

I'm just trying to see if I have your take on the subject right by asking questions which summarise your opinion. Who am I making slag someone off? I'm open to correction, they are not leading questions...if I misunderstood you then correct me :)

Please stop the baiting. its a bit crass tbh. Its 'debate' you are meant to be involved in here.

Fine, if tripping yourself up means I'm crass then so be it. If seeing you contradict yourself means I'm baiting, then so be it. I can only ask the questions, keep avoiding them if you so wish :)
    no - its a place for people to share paranormal experiences they may have had. Really - You actually needed that explained to you? Does that tell you anything?

But as I'm sure a lot of folks on that forum havn't done any research into the paranormal, how in your own words are they able to discuss it without having done any research? Its a forum for discussion of the paranormal & paranormal experiences, much the same as this forum is here to provide skeptics & cynics a platform for discussion.

I was just curious as to why you label non believers as 'armchair' skeptics, while you don't apply similarly derogatory tags to believers who havn't done any research on whatever it is they believe in. I've asked you that now a few times, & you have yet to answer it.
    No. Im just quite able to see through the rubbish that gets posted though. its really easy to say someting doesnt exist because someone else told you so. its a bit harder to go out there and try to find info that correlates with one side or the other. The 'Skeptics' on this sub forum are of the former rather than the latter.

But yet its perfectly ok to believe in something, 'because someone else told you so'? Thats a bit biased don't you think? Why does the burden of proof {on this forum} lie with the non believers?
    Im only after explaining that to you.

Apart from oddly abrasive retorts & evading questions by getting defensive, you've explained nothing.

• Advertisement

really - i have no interest in this conversation. If you want to believe you're tripping people up etc etc, work away. If you can read, then you'll know where I stand. You arent debating that at the minute, you just seem to be trying to have an argument. Now i see why no-one posts here.

But yet its perfectly ok to believe in something, 'because someone else told you so'? Thats a bit biased don't you think? Why does the burden of proof {on this forum} lie with the non believers?

You really should learn to read what I post. My point was the more cynical think all paranormal reports are rubbish mainly because they havent bothered their arses checking it out for themselves. They instead rely on what other people say.

So yes - it is a bit biased, but then again thats the problem with being cynical. You end up biased. Good own goal there sir.

My point was the more cynical think all paranormal reports are rubbish mainly because they havent bothered their arses checking it out for themselves. They instead rely on what other people say.

So yes - it is a bit biased, but then again thats the problem with being cynical. You end up biased.

Yet people of faith, & people who believe in the paranormal seem to be able to do so without research, & are not belittled by you. Why is that?
    Good own goal there sir.

Another shot across the bow, for someone so adamant about proper debating skills, you sure do let yourself down. Why the hostility? Why is it a case of getting one over? Why can you not post without baiting, & why the psuedo holier-than-thou attitude?

Lets boil it back down to where it all began ok. Your perfectly happy to call a cynic/skeptic who has an opinion that is not backed up by research, as an 'armchair skeptic'. That much is clear so far. I'm asking you this very simple question, why is it that you don't label believers who also lack that very same research, as 'armchair believers'? Why does one group have a derogatory tag applied to them by yourself, when the other group , using the very same 'faith' albeit for the opposite view...are exonerated & the term 'perogitive' is used?

If you can answer me that question without a smart-arsed post, I'll be happy & you can have a gold star.

Oh and dont get me wrong - I wouldnt brand any self respecting skeptic of being an 'armchair' skeptic. its the cynical type who have nothing to back up their view other than they read it on the internet, or their mammy told them ghosts werent real - theres many reasons why they might ridicule the paranormal, but none of it is actually based on their own education in the subject - those are the 'armchair skeptics'. When someone has a paranormal experience and reports it on here, thats a completely different story. The main difference is, theyve had some form of experience that they are tryign to figure out. Mr Armchair on the other hand, is just here to ridicule and more than likely try to make themselves feel intelligent.

Apologies as I've only seen you edited a past post & added the above into it. Thats a fair enough take on the situation, I really just wasn't sure where you drew the line between a someone genuinely skeptical, & someone who was just being downright ignorant.

I see now what you mean by 'armchair skeptic', & yeah I'd agree with your take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

But his definition of a "self respecting skeptic" appears to be "someone who does their own research". Someone who reads others' studies and analysis and forms an opinion on it is seemingly *not* a skeptic.

And yet, he also lambastes as "professional skeptics" the very people who do research... lol...

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    But his definition of a "self respecting skeptic" appears to be "someone who does their own research". Someone who reads others' studies and analysis and forms an opinion on it is seemingly *not* a skeptic.

And yet, he also lambastes as "professional skeptics" the very people who do research... lol...

Don't get me wrong, I still think the argument falls heavily into the double standards category. I'd agree that a baseless opinion isn't worth a dime, but that has to ring true for both sides which I just wanted to clarify. Anything after that & I'd need flame retardant clothing & tbh I really don't consider flaming/bashing fun so I'll watch from the sidelines from now on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. And if you ask him about how he treats true believers vs sceptics he instead launches into ad hominem and straw men. Unfortunate.

nagirrac, did you read the full article? You will note that the conclusion isn't to dismiss it. But to be skeptical; there is no convincing evidence yet. Being skeptical and having an open mind aren't necessarily incompatible. You said the skeptics dismiss it because of ideology, and there is a skeptics website which does not dismiss it because of ideology. So can we stop with those straw men arguments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

That is because it is nothing to do with actual skepticism, critical thinking or scientific progress. The real objection is that these party pooper skeptics aren't playing along with the notion that there are exciting interesting things going on in the world of paranormal research if we just keep looking.

The only think paranormal researchers find more annoy than a single belief being taken apart by skeptics (eg. I saw a ghost), is the general idea that the whole area is based on flawed notions and that these researchers are wasting everyone's time including their own.

It is the exciting that draws people to paranormal research, a self sustained delusion that there is/must be something really amazing to discover here, if we just keep looking.

It is why people who criticize the research are met with such hostility.

Zombrex wrote: »
    It is why people who criticize the research are met with such hostility.

No, they are met with such hostility because they are lazy. James Randi gets his kicks from exposing magicians as frauds even though most of his career was spent as a magician. How lazy is that? Susan Blackmore is actually likeable as a free thinker but is biased by her own flawed psi research. For all her skepticism she is quite convinced that an Australian psychologist called John Wren-Lewis may be spiritually enlightened (Rational Mysticism, John Horgan, p117-120), even though his experience stemmed from brain damage due to poisioning. Wiseman has accepted that psi effects are real but not understood. Why do you think that most skeptical responses cited are from decades ago?

The truth of the matter Zombrex is the source of consciousness is very elusive. No amount of saying we understand this or that from studies of the brain on your behalf masks the fact that we actually have no evidence that consciousness as in self awareness stems from the brain. I know thats hard for a materialist to accept. You brought up the placebo effect earlier, well think about the placebo effect in depth for a minute. Significant numbers of people in both pharmaceutical and psychological studies report their symptoms alleviated by thinking that the sugar cube or suggestion is going to make them better. Try and explain that in terms of neuron cells firing away in response to their environment. Vague statements about humans being susceptible to suggestion and humans inventing things to fill in gaps don't cut it in these examples, pain goes away and people who could not leave their houses due to OCD get relief. Why? Is it the sugar? If not, what is the physiological change that occurs to effect the psychological change?

You can't claim we know why certain mind-brain effects happen when we don't understand their cause. We can see the effect only but not the cause, which is very frustrating for science as science is based on evidence for causes. Just because we have not yet found the cause does not mean the effect is not real. We should learn this lesson from Psychology, it was successfully practiced for over 100 years before we had any evidence to support it.

So again, people who believe in the paranormal do so because its their own perogitive to do so, regardless of what if any research they've done on the subject? Whilst on the other hand, sceptics, are branded as 'armchair sceptics' for having the very same faith but at the opposite end of the spectrum?

No they are called "armchair skeptics" because they dont do anything, and spout out other peoples findings. The only time they actually do anything is when all the skeptics meet up.

No they are called "armchair skeptics" because they dont do anything, and spout out other peoples findings.

Its funny, some people are just believers, be it ghosts or religious beliefs, and are so all without having done any research on the subject. They just believe. But instead of being labeled as 'armchair believers', its all just put down to faith. Incredible double standards really.

Its funny, some people are just believers, be it ghosts or religious beliefs, and are so all without having done any research on the subject. They just believe. But instead of being labeled as 'armchair believers', its all just put down to faith. Incredible double standards really.

You are right, there are those people out there. I have run into alot of them and are really taken back when they realize i am not a "yes man" Skeptics out in the field is a rarity. I would love to see more and more of them out there. I just cant see it happening.

believers works both ways - those who believe in the paranormal and those who believe its all bull****. skeptics are the ones in the middle.

hey dave, learn to read the thread. Once again you are mixing up what various posters have said and attributing them to one individual. Thats just pure lazy. Ive never mentioned 'professional skeptics' nor lambasted them.

Then again, if you cant win an argument, just make up bull****e ... right?

And yes - someone who reads other peoples studies ('read' and yet not understand) and dont bother looking at theses things for themselves arent really qualified to debate the subject in much detail if you ask me. Bit like talking football to a football fan who never kicked a ball.

That doesnt take away from the reality of armchair skeptics. I dont care what believers believe - Im not talking about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hey dave, learn to read the thread. Once again you are mixing up what various posters have said and attributing them to one individual. Thats just pure lazy. Ive never mentioned 'professional skeptics' nor lambasted them.

Then again, if you cant win an argument, just make up bull****e ... right?

And yes - someone who reads other peoples studies ('read' and yet not understand) and dont bother looking at theses things for themselves arent really qualified to debate the subject in much detail if you ask me. Bit like talking football to a football fan who never kicked a ball.

What about people who read other people's studies and do understand them? Are they still unqualified to debate it? :) I assume you're the one who decides on whether or not someone understands a study BTW (i.e. if they disagree with you, they probably don't understand it)

It's handy for you that your slogan for your group is "common sense, not science", because it means the bar for considering yourself qualified enough to conduct research is low (you just have to have common sense!).

If I went out tonight with a proton pack, looking for ectoplasm, would that qualify me to have an opinion?

That doesnt take away from the reality of armchair skeptics. I dont care what believers believe - Im not talking about them.

In other words 'no comment'. You should go into politics man, thats riddled with double standards too :)

*Queue the inevitable shot across my bow stating I'm putting words in your mouth/baiting you into slagging someone off/my lack of understanding etc

If I went out tonight with a proton pack, looking for ectoplasm, would that qualify me to have an opinion?

Wait did you actually go and see Ghostbusters or did you just read "somebody elses" review and then based your opinion of the movie on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Everyone has an opinion whether they have been involved in the paranormal world for years or not at all, regardless if you have been involved for years or not, everyone's opinion is just a relevant as the next as we have nothing to qualify anything that is or isn't found.

There are many problems with people that 'investigate' that most of them watch most haunted or similar shows and use the emf meters with the flashy lights get a reading and then they have moved from a sceptic to believers just because of what they have seen on all these shows on tv which sqews everyone else's validity if there is even such a thing in this field.

nagirrac wrote: »
    No, they are met with such hostility because they are lazy. James Randi gets his kicks from exposing magicians as frauds even though most of his career was spent as a magician. How lazy is that?

Not particularly lazy, but then even if it was "lazy" why would that be a problem?

When I was in college one of my professors would turn up in basically a dressing gown and slippers, he would give his lecture and he would then return back home to what ever the feck he was doing that required a dressing gown and slippers (sleeping probably).

While he was with us he would assess our work and point out the problems in it. His most common feedback was "That won't compile, can you see why?"

Now frankly it would be ridiculous for me to turn around to him and say "But but but you are so lazy!". How lazy he was had nothing to do with whether my C++ program would or would not compile. It also had nothing to do with whether he knew that my C++ program would or would not compile.

This charge that skeptics are being too lazy is both a red herring and again an fascinating insight into the mind and motivations of those who subscribe to the idea that there is something amazing to find in paranormal research.

It is the fact that skeptics don't agree with you and therefore don't bother devoting significant time and resources into this delusion, that pisses you off so much. Again they are ruining the fun by not subscribing to the collective delusion that if we just keep looking we will find something exciting and amazing and paranormal.
    The truth of the matter Zombrex is the source of consciousness is very elusive. No amount of saying we understand this or that from studies of the brain on your behalf masks the fact that we actually have no evidence that consciousness as in self awareness stems from the brain.

You keep saying that and you keep ignoring every poster who has informed you that the only evidence we have supports this hypothesis.

If you want to argue that the evidence is as yet not strong enough to conclusively support this hypothesis, or even argue that we really don't know what consciousness is well enough to define properly even what we should be looking for, fair enough.

But then you don't do that. You again tip your hat to your real motivation. What ever the weakness of our understanding of how the brain does or doesn't form consciouness, it is a million times better than any support that the brain doesn't form consciousness, that something else does.

You are very similar in your tactics in this regard to a Creationist criticizing holes in evolutionary understanding while turning a blind eye to the fact that Creationism itself is just one big massive hole.

We have nothing to support the idea that consciousness is produced by anything other than the brain, yet that is a notion you seem particularly fond of. Why? Because it is exciting if true. Which of course has nothing to do with whether it is true.

Just like most subscribers to mumbo-jumbo theories you reveal yourself by the inconsistent to which you criticism or are skeptical to concepts that you do support and concepts you don't support.

If you were being consistent what ever issue you had with the holes in our understanding of how the brain may produce consciousness you would admit that there is nothing to support any other competing hypothesis.
    You brought up the placebo effect earlier, well think about the placebo effect in depth for a minute. Significant numbers of people in both pharmaceutical and psychological studies report their symptoms alleviated by thinking that the sugar cube or suggestion is going to make them better. Try and explain that in terms of neuron cells firing away in response to their environment.

A) How do you not that can't be explained by neurons firing away. You have rejected a non-existent explanation because you have asserted that something cannot happen. How very Creationist of you (Creationists are fond of saying that what ever the process scientists think created life, which we don't know yet, it couldn't have happened, which is odd considering we don't know what it is yet)

B) How do you explain it, and why are you less skeptical to that explanation than to a "materialistic" explanation?
    Vague statements about humans being susceptible to suggestion and humans inventing things to fill in gaps don't cut it in these examples, pain goes away and people who could not leave their houses due to OCD get relief. Why? Is it the sugar? If not, what is the physiological change that occurs to effect the psychological change?

I don't know, but I would guess it is related to stress. Placebos only seem to work if the patient is aware they received a placebo. Believing you have taken something that will work, even if you know it is a placebo since most people these days know placebos work, can greatly lower stress levels. And we know that stress causes a huge amount of physical exhaustion in the human body.

What evidence do you have that it is related to something paranormal?
    You can't claim we know why certain mind-brain effects happen when we don't understand their cause.

I don't claim we know. You are the one who likes claiming things that cannot be supported.

Right now you seem to be suggesting the effects of the placebo are evidence that the brain and mind are separate, but you only have an argument from ignorance to support this and the claim that we know it can't be a physical process.

And pray tell what is the reality of armchair skeptics. Since when did pointing out the flaws, inconsistencies and down right nonsense of paranormal researches get invalidated because the person pointing this out was in an armchair at the time.

Oh that's right, these people are not playing the game properly...

And pray tell what is the reality of armchair skeptics. Since when did pointing out the flaws, inconsistencies and down right nonsense of paranormal researches get invalidated because the person pointing this out was in an armchair at the time..

Nobody is saying there is anything wrong with it. Its just equated to that guy sitting at home who watches TV telling Alex Ferguson that he got the defense wrong after the match was played.
    Its easy to sit there and point out inconsistencies and flaws.

Not particularly lazy, but then even if it was "lazy" why would that be a problem?

I am not going to bother responding to this post as it is largely ad hominum and we have been over the same ground many times before.

In a response to another poster on A&A (Fear of Death thread) I highlighted Tomas Nagel's "Cosmic Authority Problem" which I am convinced many atheists suffer from. Have a read and perhaps it will encourage you to examine your own irrational beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Skeptics call it pseudoscience because they don't like the conclusions

I am indifferent to the conclusions myself so I have no such imagined bias. My issue with such research is the massive methodological flaws that are found within it. You seem to want to take issue with whether the studies can be labeled "science" or not but I have no such emotional investment in labels. I simply look at the research done and look at the methodology in each case.

To give an example of this out of my own experience: about 5 months ago I had a rather shrill user of this very forum try to convince me the research was sound and valid, but he eventually ran away from the thread (and the entire forum it seems) when he realised I was not only no average Joe unaware of the research but had actually studied it deeply.... but was someone who has actually studied the methodologies of interpreting science and science papers itself too and could interpret a peer reviewed paper without being bamboozled by it.

The "evidence" and "research" for psi that this user posted was rife with error and even outright lies. For example a meta analysis purporting to show support for psi phenomenon which he presented was one that included pre-1985 studies which had been debunked and rejected. Not just by anyone but also by people who actually performed some of the studies in question so we can hardly special plead skeptic bias and hatreds here.

Some of the practices of meta analysis in this field have even been described as "Bizarre" by those evaluating it. Not only were pre-1985 studies that had been rejected included in it but it was also found that a "weighting" was attached to the significance of the studies included. It weighted 11 papers out of a group of 80ish to elevate their results over the rest because their results were more in line with what the researchers wanted to find. The weaker studies were not weighted at all.

By all means if you are aware of psi research that you feel I am not aware of then inform me of it. By which I mean actual peer reviewed and published papers, not blog posts or some guys book.

I will study it as closely and as openly as I have those studies shown to me before. But if I reject it based on massive methodological flaws I find therein, massaging of the numbers, or even blatant dishonesty on behalf of the "researchers" then let us not then retreat behind any canard of pretending my rejection of it is based on some emotional bias about how I want the universe to operate or not operate or some fantasy fear of divine authority over me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Its easy to sit there and point out inconsistencies and flaws.
    That's because there are so many of them.

Advertisement