Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Standardised format for adverts

• 03-04-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭

Has there ever been a standardised format for the adverts section?
    Seems like it would make mods and users lives a lot easier if there was a standard template that all advertised items must be listed under?

For sers it would avoid having to ask questions of sellers that really should be put in the original post and vice versa for mods it would also help for quick overviews of new posts and required information such as FPS.

For multiple items the template could be copy pasted for each meaning users could see at a glance all the relevant specs and info. Would be a great help to all the newbies looking to sell here and starting threads that require 4 or 5 edits in order to get right. Could also be expanded into the wanted catagory with some limitations. Any thoughts???

An examle could be ....

Item: WE g96c

Condition: As new / in box.

FPS: 1j / 328fps

Main build material: Polymer

Main colour: Black

Previous owners: 1

Reason for selling: Unwanted gift

Additional extras: Tac light

After market works: 20% ROF increase using metal recoil buffer.

Pics: <inster pics here>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

/cough asking price
    also Would Trade for:

I like the idea, it works well in the PC Building and Upgrading forum when someone is asking for help choosing parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

/cough asking price
    also Would Trade for:

I like the idea, it works well in the PC Building and Upgrading forum when someone is asking for help choosing parts.

lol, asking price... the main one I would have to forgett and all. :o
    Ya get the jist though, didnt know the PC section had that? Seems like common sense imo seeing as we get a lot of new guys looking to sell equipment they bought initially thinking it would suit them.

Might make for longer threads if there are lots of items but would be pretty clear to read quickly if it was standardised. Something for the mods to consider at least. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

nice idea :), also maybe filters for wanted, for sale and for trade ads. I'm not if that can already be done or not though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Seems like pointless micromanagement that will be a head-ache for users and mods, typical of boards.ie.

Half the users or more wont use it correctly, people will complain about it, posts will be reported, mods will be weighing in on something arbitrary and irrelevant.

At what point is it an individuals responsibility to make their advert function to the end that they want for themselves? When does someone else start laying down additional rules for that? I'd guess when they are bored.

This whole forum is stifled enough.

Seems like pointless micromanagement that will be a head-ache for users and mods, typical of boards.ie.

Half the users or more wont use it correctly, people will complain about it, posts will be reported, mods will be weighing in on something arbitrary and irrelevant.

At what point is it an individuals responsibility to make their advert function to the end that they want for themselves? When does someone else start laying down additional rules for that? I'd guess when they are bored.

This whole forum is stifled enough.

The PC forum avoids most of these issues by not making it mandatory. It's in the users best interest to ask their question in a certain format. If they only do it half right, that still better than not at all.

This should be more of a gentleman's agreement between users, the mods shouldn't be involved in forcing this on anyone.

Experienced users may not see the need for it but newbies could get great help from a standard format. It presents all the boxes you need to tick to help sell your kit in the shortest possible time and reduces, "Why are you selling?" "What FPS?" "Has it been used much?" "Pics?" posts.

All round I think it could make for a much neater faster and leaner adverts section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The PC forum avoids most of these issues by not making it mandatory. It's in the users best interest to ask their question in a certain format. If they only do it half right, that still better than not at all.

This should be more of a gentleman's agreement between users, the mods shouldn't be involved in forcing this on anyone.

Experienced users may not see the need for it but newbies could get great help from a standard format. It presents all the boxes you need to tick to help sell your kit in the shortest possible time and reduces, "Why are you selling?" "What FPS?" "Has it been used much?" "Pics?" posts.

All round I think it could make for a much neater faster and leaner adverts section.

That sounds good, there is no harm in a well thought out format being recommended, the OP suggested that it might be enforced though, hence my response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Become the change you wish to see; clarity where clarity is required most.

If you start with your own adverts, and encourage others to do the same, then it should take off. I will do my best if/when using adverts :)

the OP suggested that it might be enforced though, hence my response.

That'd be a bad idea alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's on my long overdue to-do list for the forum :)

At most, we can suggest a format / template, but, as has already been pointed out, it's unworkable and overly pedantic to rigidly enforce something like this.
    T4RGET wrote: »
    nice idea :), also maybe filters for wanted, for sale and for trade ads. I'm not if that can already be done or not though
    That's been in place since the prefixes were introduced - it's the first box in the 'filter threads' section at the top of the forum. :)

Steve wrote: »
    It's on my long overdue to-do list for the forum :)

At most, we can suggest a format / template, but, as has already been pointed out, it's unworkable and overly pedantic to rigidly enforce something like this.

That's been in place since the prefixes were introduced - it's the first box in the 'filter threads' section at the top of the forum. :)

thought it might have been, never used it though so that's my stupidity or laziness :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd agree with a more standardised template

But it doesnt need a mad charter, moderator input

As what happened when we all first started posting in adverts, you just copy other peoples post format

Do your own template and use it in your posts, eventually one will become more prevelant then others and that will be your template

i just put up an ad there, and used the template :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Makes sense but that doesn't mean it'll work.
    What I simply do as a buyer is...I skip over sloppy ads that are a chore to sift though.

At the worst, I miss out on a few KJ M9s or CA M4s.

Advertisement