Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIGalway withholding grant checks till?

Options
  • 03-04-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Just learned that my co council (Clare) posted the 3rd round of grant checks last week but Nuigalway say that the dept of education and Science told them not release them till after Easter. this has not happened at any other college. Any one else angry
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I am angry if that is the case.:mad:
    Many of us are struggling at the moment under financial burdens. Why would they hold onto them if they have them??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's pure and simple greed. I don't see what's the point, especially in first year, of having a maintenance grant you only receive at the end of the year. The fees office at NUIG were also a bit disingenuous saying the cheque wasn't there - implying it hadn't arrived yet but would after Easter. Rang the council only to find out it's been there since early March. Many people go home for there study period at Easter and the week after as well, so going back to Galway to pick up the cheque is a major pain the hole.
    I am angry if that is the case.:mad:
    Many of us are struggling at the moment under financial burdens. Why would they hold onto them if they have them??:confused:
    My guess would be to accumulate interest on them and take that for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Al117

I Know not but Im real angry about it. Thats my money I need it asap. I was told by Clare co.co that no other colleges were doing this. Nuigalway needs to wake the f up

jumpguy wrote: »
    Rang the council only to find out it's been there since early March. .

Do you mind me asking jumpguy which council you are referring to?

Also Im pretty sure that they have no authority to do this! Dept of education said so my ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Do you mind me asking jumpguy which council you are referring to?
    The fine County Council of Limerick.

:mad: seriously. they have the cheques for a week. then say there available for collection at the same time as they close the grant office for a week. Are those people are taking crazy pills? Im so effin broke right now and they got MY grant, in the office,and went on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Threads merged. :)

musical.x wrote: »
    Threads merged. :)

Im new here, on the interweb. I hope merging is not illegal:P

Al117 wrote: »
    Im new here, on the interweb. I hope merging is not illegal:P

Not at all Al117.......
    Threads of the same nature are just merged so as to keep all the information together and prevent posters getting confused about 'where' they posted 'what':)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingofthenerds

its not so bad, put it towards your J1 visa ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

On the NUIG grants website it is now showing the 3rd round of grants that can be collected so it looks like they arent witholding them anymore!
    Mine isnt in though, boo

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭muchacho

On the NUIG grants website it is now showing the 3rd round of grants that can be collected so it looks like they arent witholding them anymore!
    Mine isnt in though, boo

I don't see any grants available for collection on the website.
    Are they not be paid directly into bank accounts now anyway?? I had to fill out a form with bank detail after the last installment.

muchacho wrote: »
    I don't see any grants available for collection on the website.
    Are they not be paid directly into bank accounts now anyway?? I had to fill out a form with bank detail after the last installment.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/fees/June_2011/grants2.html
    The Grants Office closes on Wednesday 04/04/2012 at 4 p.m. and re-opens on Wednesday 11/04/2012 at 10 a.m.

Please ensure you have your current NUI Galway student ID card with you when collecting your grant cheque. You must be in full attendance in order to collect your maintenance cheque.
    Grants are available for distribution between 10.00-12.30 hrs and 14.00 - 16.00 hrs. The date opposite the local authority name indicates a new batch of maintenance cheques being delivered to the Fees Office. If you have a grant advance from the bank you must still sign for each maintenance cheque.
    County Council:
    Cavan Co Co - 03/04/2012
    Clare Co Co - 03/04/2012
    Kerry Co Co - 04/04/2012
    Kilkenny Co Co - 04/04/2012
    Meath Co Co - 04/04/2012
    Monaghan Co Co - 04/04/2012
    Offaly Co Co - 04/04/2012
    Tipperary North Riding Co Co - 04/04/2012

Vocational Education Committee:
    Galway City VEC - 04/04/12
    Kerry Educational Services - 04/04/12
    Kilkenny County VEC - 04/04/12
    Longford Co VEC - 04/04/12
    Meath Co VEC - 04/04/12
    Wicklow County VEC - 04/04/12

Roinn Oideachais Scholarships:
    Scholarships - Not in yet

I thought the same as well about the bank accounts......Prob just collection for those who didn't supply bank details!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

I never heard anything about supplying bank details, I would definately have done that as I wont be near Galway for another few weeks and I hate waiting for my grant :( Must be just certain counties.

I never heard anything about supplying bank details, I would definately have done that as I wont be near Galway for another few weeks and I hate waiting for my grant :( Must be just certain counties.

It's just for Galway co co wallpaper12 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

my grant is issued by galway coco and i supplied bank details, i wonder when they will lodge them to our accounts?? galway coco has been last to issue grants for last 2 installments so who knows when we'll get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

my grant is issued by galway coco and i supplied bank details, i wonder when they will lodge them to our accounts?? galway coco has been last to issue grants for last 2 installments so who knows when we'll get it :(
    Looks like it should be the middle of this month: https://twitter.com/#!/GalwayStudents/status/185295306085249024

Depends on your co council I think if its paid directly to into your account or the ole fashioned annoying wait a little longer way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

" You must be in full attendance in order to collect your maintenance cheque. "

My attendance has been far from full.. Will this be a problem? :confused:

• Advertisement

Mudmask wrote: »
    " You must be in full attendance in order to collect your maintenance cheque. "

My attendance has been far from full.. Will this be a problem? :confused:

No. They never check it in NUIG. They do check attendance in GTI though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

Phew! I sort of knew that but was worried 'cause was really bad this semester.. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Donegal co.co. Get your **** together and get my grant to the college. Im poor. I'm tired of being poor. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

jumpguy wrote: »
    The fine County Council of Limerick.[/QUOTE

Limerick CoCo is in today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

still no sign of sligo....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Has anybody received their grant into their bank account from Galway Coco yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭muchacho

Has anybody received their grant into their bank account from Galway Coco yet?

According to the twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/GalwayStudents) payments have been processed and should reach the bank accounts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

skinny90 wrote: »
    still no sign of sligo....:mad:
    I think Sligo are in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dyawannagoonme

Galway COCO hasnt given my grant yet :/

• Advertisement

I got mine into the bank yesterday from Galway CoCo:)

Advertisement