Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 - Episode 2 **Have NOT Read The Books / No Spoilers Included**

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

don ramo wrote: »
    naw they done that last season just the once, so id say it'll be the same this season,

loved the scene when theon found out he fingered his sister, the look on his face, priceless:D

i do hope deanarys isn't roaming the desert for long, as i really wanna see her story get going fast, i want to see them dragons tearing the place apart so bad,

i would love that table that stannis has in his chamber, i saw it on a video that its a proper scale map of westeros, the workmanship on it is savage, also that new studio doing the CGI are doing some fine job, wolfs, dragons and castles all look amazing, fair play to HBO for going all out on this show,

I'm the same, but in one the preview videos for this season, she said this season was about their stuggle, struggle for food/water and that kinda thing IIRC, seemed to imply that it would be that for the whole season. I really hope not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

KerranJast wrote: »
    Cersei again continues to be one of my favourite character. She's supposed to be this evil super bitch but you can empathise with her path to this point.

She was never intended to be that. From her very introduction (being literally stripped bare and sold off by her brother) she's been a very sympathetic character. In no way was she meant to be portrayed as evil, and it's very clear she's the one who is truly born to the throne, both in lineage and in aptitude, she's a natural leader and genuinely cares for her subjects.

On another note, it's been very easy to follow the story without the books. I've checked out the map and interactive glossaries on HBO.com, but that's only because I want to know even more about the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Syferus wrote: »
    She was never intended to be that. From her very introduction (being literally stripped bare and sold off by her brother) she's been a very sympathetic character. In no way was she meant to be portrayed as evil, and it's very clear she's the one who is truly born to the throne, both in lineage and in aptitude, she's a natural leader and genuinely cares for her subjects.

On another note, it's been very easy to follow the story without the books. I've checked out the map and interactive glossaries on HBO.com, but that's only because I want to know even more about the world.

Think youve Dany & Cersei mixed up there :D

ceegee wrote: »

I read that as Khaleesi for some reason..!

Cersei, though, is ruthless but not tyrannical. She wasn't willing to kill Nedd or indiscriminately murder children to kill potential heirs. She talks a tougher game than she's actually willing to act out. Her heart-to-heart (if you can call it that) with the King last season illuminated her the most, she was trapped into a political marriage with someone still in love with his dead wife and tried to make it work while all he did was drink, hunt and quite publically screw half the whores in King's Landing. It's going to be a bag of fun watching her, Joffery and Tyrion interact this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

ceegee wrote: »

Easy to do as Cersie is what could become of Dany if she gives in to bitterness and a desire for revenge.
    all the characters have a counterpoint and watching how they decide which way to go is what makes it so absorbing. That and the gratuitous nudity :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Easy to do as Cersie is what could become of Dany if she gives in to bitterness and a desire for revenge.
    all the characters have a counterpoint and watching how they decide which way to go is what makes it so absorbing. That and the gratuitous nudity :D
    what gratuitous nudity, don't think we've since even a nipple outside of the whore house this season, and TBH i don't see any reason for deany to be getting naked this season, hope I'm wrong though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

what gratuitous nudity, don't think we've since even a nipple outside of the whore house this season, and TBH i don't see any reason for deany to be getting naked this season, hope I'm wrong though

You must have missed young Greyjohn and the wan he was ridin' on the boat over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

You must have missed young Greyjohn and the wan he was ridin' on the boat over.
    true, but there hasn't really been much nudity to mention this season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

and all the gratuitous nudity in the whore house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Just wait til we get to quart and she wears the traditional dress, no that'll be gratuitous bewbage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Just wait til we get to quart and she wears the traditional dress, no that'll be gratuitous bewbage :D

Not happening. They've 'adjusted' the fashion. Bastids, I was hoping it might catch on and start a craze!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

s.welstead wrote: »
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Not happening. They've 'adjusted' the fashion. Bastids, I was hoping it might catch on and start a craze!
    Bugger I was looking forward to that

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,944 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

true, but there hasn't really been much nudity to mention this season
    You mean other than all the nudity in the whorehouse? Which also featured the 'classy' moment where Littlefinger wipes off some ... leavings ... from a whore's lips? The show finds new ways to be utterly crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    You mean other than all the nudity in the whorehouse? Which also featured the 'classy' moment where Littlefinger wipes off some ... leavings ... from a whore's lips? The show finds new ways to be utterly crass.

I thought that was really funny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,944 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »
    Meh, just at this stage could do without the random trashy sexytime. Even Rome didn't have this much pointless humping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

And then she goes to the next guy and kisses him!
    I wonder what the cheap whorehouses are like?

What's the name of the guy that recruits nights watch soilders? He's a legend!
    "This blade is so sharp it could shave a spiders arse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I have to be honest though - it would be nice if the open sexuality in this show wasn't so bloody crass sometimes, or the script didn't feel the need to punctuate scenes with some rough / slummy sex scenes. The one in the brothel was particularly needles.

Yea.

Worst episode ever to watch in my parents' house having convinced them that "this series is actually brilliant; not childish at all."

Que the...
    "I see what you mean."
    And the eyebrows. And baffled sighing.

Woops! :D

Also, not appropriate viewing with a sibling...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Yeah that was a bit over the top, I mean where did they think they were? In a whorehouse or something?

That entire scene was in no way crass or over the top, and it was a hugely telling insight into the kind of man Littlefinger is.

Even Theon's romping on the boat was necessary because it set up his hilarious interaction with Asha later in the episode.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Yeah that was a bit over the top, I mean where did they think they were? In a whorehouse or something?

That entire scene was in no way crass or over the top, and it was a hugely telling insight into the kind of man Littlefinger is.

Even Theon's romping on the boat was necessary because it set up his hilarious interaction with Asha later in the episode.

Littlefinger's speech, with its veiled threats, was the meat of that scene not the sex, or the trashy semen-wipe. Theon hitting up his sister didn't need the preamble of him fcuking some random ship-wench; the mistaken grope worked effectively on its own merits.

In fairness the show has not shirked from showing sex in a very rustic light and in some respects deserves praise for being so unabashed (plus I believe is only taking its cue from the novels); I would simply ask the fairly legitimate question of whether its needed in as many scenes as it turns up in. If it there's for shock value, then continual use only lessens the shock. I don't think it's there for allegorical purposes, and if it's simply arbitrarily present for the sake of it, then Martin's a sex-craved old perv ;)

That all said, on a purely technical level it does make me wonder how on earth the actors film those kind of scenes. With nothing left to the imagination & no camera tricks available to hide things, it must be hard to ... well... not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Littlefinger's speech, with its veiled threats, was the meat of that scene not the sex, or the trashy semen-wipe. Theon hitting up his sister didn't need the preamble of him fcuking some random ship-wench; the mistaken grope worked effectively on its own merits.

In fairness the show has not shirked from showing sex in a very rustic light and in some respects deserves praise for being so unabashed (plus I believe is only taking its cue from the novels); I would simply ask the fairly legitimate question of whether its needed in as many scenes as it turns up in. If it there's for shock value, then continual use only lessens the shock. I don't think it's there for allegorical purposes, and if it's simply arbitrarily present for the sake of it, then Martin's a sex-craved old perv ;)

That all said, on a purely technical level it does make me wonder how on earth the actors film those kind of scenes. With nothing left to the imagination & no camera tricks available to hide things, it must be hard to ... well... not be.

Actions speak louder than words. Same reason they actually showed the city guard going around killing off suspected Robert bastards. Showing the conditions of the women that Littlefinger exploits makes him seem even colder. The books have never held back on describing the darker parts of the characters and the world, and lust/sex is the second biggest instigator of events, second to only the iron throne. It's a means to power, so it needs to be shown.

Theon with the girl on the boat was him in full 'heir' mode, having what or who he wants and expecting them to comply and even enjoy it. It showed him exploiting his false sense of power, giving him even further to fall once he meets his father and sister. Having him just arrive normally on Pyke and start viciously groping the first girl he meets would have been too jarring.

The only sex scene I've had a problem with was the Melisandre/Stannis one, and that was purely because of the bad acting on Stannis' part. He's the one actor who has not hit his stride yet.

On another note, Davos (Liam Cunningham) has been amazing so far, and not just because he's a Dublin man :pac:

[edit]Martin is definitely a bit sex-crazed, some of the descriptions in the books are mental.

• Advertisement

It's part HBO's home-cooked receipe. In a show like True Blood it's perfectly fine as it suits the context and tone of the show. It's obviously a finer line in Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones, less so in the later because to a large degree it fits the world. It usually comes in fits and starts, though, and we could go four episodes with hardly a bare breast in sight. It can be cynical but every sex scene has always been used to empart something other than titillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

It's the nature of the genre to be a bit ott with the sex though, their not referred to as sex and sandal epics for nothing.
    GOT has balanced it about right, the sex is as much weapon as reward and leering looks and servants glancing as noises come from upstairs wont cut it thees days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Paparazzo wrote: »

What's the name of the guy that recruits nights watch soilders? He's a legend!
    "This blade is so sharp it could shave a spiders arse"

Yoren.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

s.welstead wrote: »

That has just put a right dampener on my day... I was looking forward to seen that dress on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

krudler wrote: »
    me too, it shows his character. the customer was complaining so he made sure he was satisfied and got his moneys worth. if he was left with a bad taste in his mouth well that's something else. but it does show littlefingers true nature, hes all about the money and power

Advertisement