Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Stobart

Options
  • 01-04-2012 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

I hear on the grapevine that ES are importing 4 modified ex GBRF class 66s to handle Tesco traffic to Cork and Belfast from Dublin Port with a corresponding welsh service from their hub at Llafiporo, Great news !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Seems like a fantastically expensive way to obtain locomotives

good day to announce it too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I heard that ES have also bought the last remaining 121 loco that is rotting away in Inchicore and plan to paint it in Stobart livery and just drive it up and down between Kildare and Clondalkin all day every day just to block up traffic and piss off Irish Rail

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I have also heard that after the amazing success of the station at Kishogue that IR plan to build at least 4 more stations between Kildare and Dublin for the craic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

If OP is valid, wouldnt that put DB on Irish Rail tracks?

Germany taking hold ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

my friend wrote: »
    If OP is valid, wouldn't that put DB on Irish Rail tracks?

Germany taking hold...
    They're already on British tracks (they've owned EWS for almost five years). Remember that the EU is an empire (as Barroso said in 2007), and there is but one "meister" of that empire. Don't be surprised if one day all of the stock on Irish rails is wearing "verkehrsrot" livery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Rud wrote: »
    I heard that ES have also bought the last remaining 121 loco that is rotting away in Inchicore and plan to paint it in Stobart livery and just drive it up and down between Kildare and Clondalkin all day every day just to block up traffic and piss off Irish Rail

Are you sure? I heard it was an NIR 450-class which would run on the loop line at peak periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

corktina wrote: »
    I hear on the grapevine that ES are importing 4 modified ex GBRF class 66s to handle Tesco traffic to Cork and Belfast from Dublin Port with a corresponding welsh service from their hub at Llafiporo, Great news !

Be careful who you say that to - there are dudes round here who can be very sceptical of the notion of new railfreight flows.

imho the new freight livery was a cheap fix for locos well over due for ppaint

why would you rail timber to waterford when presumably you could ship it from Derry?

Railfreight is uncompetive with roads.End of.

we have no money. therefore forget spending millions rebuilding the line to Foynes and any other project not using the existing infrastructure and spare capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

still am. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Gave me a laugh. The logistics are just so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Evening Echo are reporting that Cork Chamber of Commerce have met with Irish Rail about a Cork-Dublin flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Victor wrote: »
    The Evening Echo are reporting that Cork Chamber of Commerce have met with Irish Rail about a Cork-Dublin flow.

What freight flow would be needed to be moved ?

Hard to know what could be the flow. Theres nothing that can be shipped through Dublin that can't be shipped throuigh Cork I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hard to know what could be the flow. Theres nothing that can be shipped through Dublin that can't be shipped throuigh Cork I imagine

It might be cargo that they want to take off road. Most containers are shipped through Dublin and Waterford and with the recent surge in fuel costs and their recent staff issues, it might not be a bad move to consider their options.

It might be cargo that they want to take off road. Most containers are shipped through Dublin and Waterford and with the recent surge in fuel costs and their recent staff issues, it might not be a bad move to consider their options.

Their staff issues was just the core of Keelings and Tesco drivers that they inherited from Tesco/Ballymun some of which with a bit of overtime were pulling more than the smaller Tesco Store managers were getting. Natural wastage and a couple of quite pay offs should sort that.

Unless they were planning to build regional warehouses for dry goods and bulk non food like Toilet rolls but that doesn't make sense with a JIT system. The idea is not to hold on to stock but sell it. Even then you still have to unload the container, pick for the store and delivery from a regional warehouse whilst you have two purpose built warehouses in Dublin with trained picking crews. Very few items are delivered by pallet to store but on cages. As I said before the logistics don't make sense considering the rail system in Ireland, the existing tesco model and the handling practices at store.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm wondering what port do Irish distillers(in Midleton) ship their stuff from ?

Their staff issues was just the core of Keelings and Tesco drivers that they inherited from Tesco/Ballymun some of which with a bit of overtime were pulling more than the smaller Tesco Store managers were getting. Natural wastage and a couple of quite pay offs should sort that.

Unless they were planning to build regional warehouses for dry goods and bulk non food like Toilet rolls but that doesn't make sense with a JIT system. The idea is not to hold on to stock but sell it. Even then you still have to unload the container, pick for the store and delivery from a regional warehouse whilst you have two purpose built warehouses in Dublin with trained picking crews. Very few items are delivered by pallet to store but on cages. As I said before the logistics don't make sense considering the rail system in Ireland, the existing tesco model and the handling practices at store.

Point taken on the strike itself. What I'm more coming at is the non perishables which are split into shop consignments at warehouse stage. With some of the larger stores taking a truck a week from some larger suppliers (I'm thinking of the Unilevers of this world), this can be done and despatched pretty much on a on a shop by shop basis. This is where liner containers and hence rail may work, not will. Perishables and smaller suppliers obviously won't be subject to this given their specific logistics and needs.

Point taken on the strike itself. What I'm more coming at is the non perishables which are split into shop consignments at warehouse stage. With some of the larger stores taking a truck a week from some larger suppliers (I'm thinking of the Unilevers of this world), this can be done and despatched pretty much on a on a shop by shop basis. This is where liner containers and hence rail may work, not will. Perishables and smaller suppliers obviously won't be subject to this given their specific logistics and needs.

Yes but Tesco doesn't get direct deliveries from large non perishable(non food) suppliers and its daily deliveries into the large stores from CDC not a bulk weekly delivery because they have limited warehouse space instore. The only stock holding they want is high selling lines . Most stores don't have forklifts to pallet stack, only at Xmas.

Yes but Tesco doesn't get direct deliveries from large non perishable(non food) suppliers and its daily deliveries into the large stores from CDC not a bulk weekly delivery because they have limited warehouse space instore. The only stock holding they want is high selling lines . Most stores don't have forklifts to pallet stack, only at Xmas.

That's actually what I said; it won't and can't be applied to a lot of deliveries and many of it's shops. With some larger shops and Tesco's have plenty of them, some suppliers are moving enough stock in and out to make it a practical proposition. With a container, it's secure on site if need be and it may be dropped and picked up on site or it's emptied upon delivery; it's stock being loaded onto pallets for ease of moving. That's not to say that it will be done but it isn't by any means unworkable or impractical.

That's actually what I said; it won't and can't be applied to a lot of deliveries and many of it's shops. With some larger shops and Tesco's have plenty of them, some suppliers are moving enough stock in and out to make it a practical proposition. With a container, it's secure on site if need be and it may be dropped and picked up on site or it's emptied upon delivery; it's stock being loaded onto pallets for ease of moving. That's not to say that it will be done but it isn't by any means unworkable or impractical.

I think your trying to reinvent the wheel here and bring back direct store deliveries and many of the problems with that system. I rate it as 95% unworkable or impractical. While Unilever might do a considerable range of business over the week with a Tesco Extra(Clarehall, Balbriggan, Finglas) its all odds and ends rarely pallets of the same stock. How does the backdoor man check you delivered what you claimed? With CDC its already checked and loaded automatically on the store stock system on delivery while with a direct delivery he has to manually check line by line and enter it on the system then store security have to spot check his paperwork. All time consuming while he could be managing his warehouse and security could be catching shoplifters. So dropping and picking up isn't possible unless the backdoor man fancy's a life on the dole suddenly.

The large stores have loading bays anyway but even if we forget about the checking of the delivery they don't have forklifts and rarely have a large permanent holding area. Even if a store looks massive to the shopper the warehouse space is always limited because it doesn't make sense giving over valuable retail space to a large warehouse. Even the existing warehouse space is limited because nonfood(H&B, clothes, toys, Hardware) gets it owns warehouse, non food high value electronic goods and cigs/spirits have to get secure lockups too. Having stock in the warehouse doesn't make you sales and if you build it the "staff will fill it".:D A side effect of a small warehouse is that it forces staff to pull there finger out.

The store manager wants to walk into an empty warehouse every morning after a night pack with maybe some Crisps on a pallet and a couple of pallets of special offer beer, maybe some seasonal stock. Of course he has some stock that was misspicks or counted wrong on the stock system but with little stock left in the warehouse his stock controllers should be able to recount and investigate. He gets deliveries from CDC 7 days a week with 3-4 deliveries of Grocery/non food a day why would he ever want to hold stock? Its no practical sense for him or financial unless it was special offer deal of "When its gone its gone" stock. I should say that when large suppliers switched to CDC they most likely had to discount there prices based on reduced delivery costs there end so can't see them too keen to take the hit for restarting direct deliveries to large stores.

The stores are mapped and planned so the cage in theory has the stock needed for that specific area of the aisle when packing while with a direct delivery you have to pick your stock from the pallets on to a cage using a list, then restack the pallets safely and restack the pallets upon each other with the forklift if you had one. Or do we bring back racking? Or bring full pallets out on to the floor of a 24/7 store where customers can't get a trolley around the pallets. All a H & S nightmare and not very efficient way to pack a store.

Once again, I'm not talking about this 95% of stock that you refer to. When Stobart's and Tesco find a cheaper way to pre check and despatch some stock direct to some shops or from the UK into shops here then they may well be done that way. By all means it won't work for small Tesco Extra shops and it won't work for small loads coming in, it won't work for most suppliers and it won't work for most lines but it will in some cases work, the 5% that you referred to. 5% less stock carried on a local drop lessens the fuel bill, that's maybe 5% less handling to and from and at Donabate and maybe a little less staff and 5% less space on the floor. And doubtless, 5% less staff here which will be a pity.

May not sound like much but as Tesco say, every little helps.
    I think your trying to reinvent the wheel here and bring back direct store deliveries and many of the problems with that system. I rate it as 95% unworkable or impractical. While Unilever might do a considerable range of business over the week with a Tesco Extra(Clarehall, Balbriggan, Finglas) its all odds and ends rarely pallets of the same stock. How does the backdoor man check you delivered what you claimed? With CDC its already checked and loaded automatically on the store stock system on delivery while with a direct delivery he has to manually check line by line and enter it on the system then store security have to spot check his paperwork. All time consuming while he could be managing his warehouse and security could be catching shoplifters. So dropping and picking up isn't possible unless the backdoor man fancy's a life on the dole suddenly.

The large stores have loading bays anyway but even if we forget about the checking of the delivery they don't have forklifts and rarely have a large permanent holding area. Even if a store looks massive to the shopper the warehouse space is always limited because it doesn't make sense giving over valuable retail space to a large warehouse. Even the existing warehouse space is limited because nonfood(H&B, clothes, toys, Hardware) gets it owns warehouse, non food high value electronic goods and cigs/spirits have to get secure lockups too. Having stock in the warehouse doesn't make you sales and if you build it the "staff will fill it".:D A side effect of a small warehouse is that it forces staff to pull there finger out.

The store manager wants to walk into an empty warehouse every morning after a night pack with maybe some Crisps on a pallet and a couple of pallets of special offer beer, maybe some seasonal stock. Of course he has some stock that was misspicks or counted wrong on the stock system but with little stock left in the warehouse his stock controllers should be able to recount and investigate. He gets deliveries from CDC 7 days a week with 3-4 deliveries of Grocery/non food a day why would he ever want to hold stock? Its no practical sense for him or financial unless it was special offer deal of "When its gone its gone" stock. I should say that when large suppliers switched to CDC they most likely had to discount there prices based on reduced delivery costs there end so can't see them too keen to take the hit for restarting direct deliveries to large stores.

The stores are mapped and planned so the cage in theory has the stock needed for that specific area of the aisle when packing while with a direct delivery you have to pick your stock from the pallets on to a cage using a list, then restack the pallets safely and restack the pallets upon each other with the forklift if you had one. Or do we bring back racking? Or bring full pallets out on to the floor of a 24/7 store where customers can't get a trolley around the pallets. All a H & S nightmare and not very efficient way to pack a store.

• Advertisement

it's not enough to justify a rai system.I would wager that no tesco store in the UK is supplied in that manner. All the stuff on rail in the UK (I would guess) goes to regional distribution centres and is truckeed out from there . Ireland only really justifies one regional distribution centre as Dublin is handily placed to service the whole country (or that bit that has Tesco stores)

I found this image on the www.verylittlehelps.com, its the unofficial staff gripe site and has some interesting images of DCs and the various accidents involving trucks and stores.

MGalleryItem.php?id=139

This is a trial backdoor scanner, basically each cage is barcoded and scanned into stock as you push it into the store warehouse. A problem when you have a two store drop is that one of the stores might get an extra cage of stock while the other gets short changed. Back doors are suppose to check the cage code and count manually from the delivery sheet but its too time consuming in an understaffed and under trained enviroment.

MGalleryItem.php?id=123

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm wondering what port do Irish distillers(in Midleton) ship their stuff from ?

Believe it or not, there's no bottling plant in Midleton, so it gets trucked to Dublin, most likely exported from there...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Markcheese wrote: »
    Believe it or not, there's no bottling plant in Midleton, so it gets trucked to Dublin, most likely exported from there...

Bushmills do a lot of contract bottling also, when we did the tour they were bottling Paddy and the guy stated they regularly bottle other whiskeys too.

Advertisement