Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabhrú liom le fadhb beag: Conas is féidir leat a rá...

Options
  • 31-03-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Dia doibh,
    Tá fadhb beag agam. Táim greamaithe ar conas a rá ''she declined the invitation, apologising to Seán'' Tá a fhios agam go bhfuil sé easca go leor a rá 'Dhuiltaigh sí an cuireadh' ach tá fadhb agam faoi conas a rá 'apologising to Seán'
    go mór bhuíoch, Tomás.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

ag gabháil leithscéal le Seán?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Suggest turning it round - Ag gabháil a leithscéal le Seán, dhiúltaigh sí an cuireadh.

Think it's better to use the possessive form - a leithscéal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

mr chips wrote: »
    Suggest turning it round - Ag gabháil a leithscéal le Seán, dhiúltaigh sí an cuireadh.

Think it's better to use the possessive form - a leithscéal.

ag gabháil leithscéil would be the correct way to say it, if I'm not mistaken. An Tuiseal Ginideach. I'm not thinking straight tonight though, and I cannot say for sure whether or not it stays the same for ag gabháil a leithscéil I would imagine that it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Interesting one. I know that if you want to say "I'm opening the window" you'd use the genitive, i.e. "Tá mé ag oscailt na fuinneoige" - literally "I am at the opening of the window".

However, I'm not so sure that the same applies when using the possessive. If you think of the phrase "he was doing his best", it's "Bhí sé ag déanamh a dhícheall", as opposed to the genitive form "Bhí sé ag déanamh a dhíchill". So I'd be inclined to keep the above as "Ag gabháil a leithscéal".

Advertisement